PDA

View Full Version : How would you build an alchemist only useing the phb.

Orpec
2014-10-15, 08:12 PM
So I was thinking, alchemists are cool. Not just alchemists but I always love the kind of arcane tinkerer that makes stuff, the artificer, the pathfinder alchemist, all that good stuff. However I doubt were going to see the clasic artifaciter till the eberron setting, and I have a feeling thats not even going to be the first setting. So I decided I would not homebrew anything(I have my reasons behind this) and try to make a tinkerer/artificer/alchemist character.

So race- tinker gnome; who can argue with this?

classes are harder.

So clerics and paladins are the only classes that can brew a potion, holy water, which could be pretty useful, however brewing rules are going to be in the dmg anyway, plus it would be weird to explain why your alchemist has a single level in cleric.

transmogrification wizard; this guy has the philosipers stone, however it may just be me but... to much magic, personally I would rather have a alchemist shooting things with a crossbow and hitting things with potions than shooting spells

Barbarian- hey why not, potion of rage.

theif rogue- you get use magical devises and can use a crossbow efficently, not to much alchemy by core though.

So how would you build an alchemist?

Ramshack
2014-10-16, 09:13 AM
So I was thinking, alchemists are cool. Not just alchemists but I always love the kind of arcane tinkerer that makes stuff, the artificer, the pathfinder alchemist, all that good stuff. However I doubt were going to see the clasic artifaciter till the eberron setting, and I have a feeling thats not even going to be the first setting. So I decided I would not homebrew anything(I have my reasons behind this) and try to make a tinkerer/artificer/alchemist character.

So race- tinker gnome; who can argue with this?

classes are harder.

So clerics and paladins are the only classes that can brew a potion, holy water, which could be pretty useful, however brewing rules are going to be in the dmg anyway, plus it would be weird to explain why your alchemist has a single level in cleric.

transmogrification wizard; this guy has the philosipers stone, however it may just be me but... to much magic, personally I would rather have a alchemist shooting things with a crossbow and hitting things with potions than shooting spells

Barbarian- hey why not, potion of rage.

theif rogue- you get use magical devises and can use a crossbow efficently, not to much alchemy by core though.

So how would you build an alchemist?

Hard to say until we see the crafting rules for potions and poisons. Not to mention we do know what potions and poisons and other alchemical goodies will be fully available yet

Ellington
2014-10-16, 09:18 AM
Rogues with the thief subclass can throw alchemist's fire and acid as a bonus action using their cunning action. They can also put their expertise into alchemist tools so I'd consider that to be a pretty good starting point, at least for lower levels. You could multi class after getting level 3 to get some arcane caster levels. Guild Artisan (Alchemist) might also be a good background.

MeeposFire
2014-10-16, 09:26 AM
Rogues with the thief subclass can throw alchemist's fire and acid as a bonus action using their cunning action. They can also put their expertise into alchemist tools so I'd consider that to be a pretty good starting point, at least for lower levels. You could multi class after getting level 3 to get some arcane caster levels. Guild Artisan (Alchemist) might also be a good background.

I think that most of those alchemical weapons are considered to be "improvised weapons" so oddly if you take that tavern brawler feat you can get your prof bonus on alchemical weapons for more accuracy.

MadGrady
2014-10-16, 10:14 AM
Also, it's possible that the herbalism kit will be used to brew potions/poisons. So that allows some of the backgrounds to provide the framework as well for proficiency with that particular tool