PDA

View Full Version : Multiple fighting styles

IronFist
2014-10-15, 09:12 PM
If a Fighter multiclasses into Ranger and Paladin does it get more than one fighting style? Can I use them all at once?

numerek
2014-10-15, 09:48 PM
You could use defense, dueling and protection all at once, it would require a weapon in one hand a shield in another and wearing armor. Perhaps if you had more than two appendages capable of wielding weapons then you could combine great weapon fighting and two-weapon fighting. And there would be other shenanigans of switching weapons between attacks. But yes if there isn't a rule in the multiclassing section telling you you don't get something or it doesn't stack when multiclassing then you get it and there is no such thing for fighting style.

Daishain
2014-10-15, 09:53 PM
If you pick the same one twice it doesn't stack, but otherwise yeah

IronFist
2014-10-15, 10:04 PM
You could use defense, dueling and protection all at once, it would require a weapon in one hand a shield in another and wearing armor. Perhaps if you had more than two appendages capable of wielding weapons then you could combine great weapon fighting and two-weapon fighting. And there would be other shenanigans of switching weapons between attacks. But yes if there isn't a rule in the multiclassing section telling you you don't get something or it doesn't stack when multiclassing then you get it and there is no such thing for fighting style.

What about archery + two weapon fighting for thrown weapons?

Mechaviking
2014-10-16, 12:15 AM

I see nothing wrong with that.

Rummy
2014-10-16, 12:19 AM

Archery doesn't apply to thrown weapons, as they are Melee weapons, according to Jeremy Crawford. Archery is only ranged weapons like bows and slings.

Strill
2014-10-16, 12:20 AM
Archery doesn't apply to thrown weapons, as they are Melee weapons, according to Jeremy Crawford. Archery is only ranged weapons like bows and slings.

Darts are ranged weapons though. Can't they be dual wielded?

Rummy
2014-10-16, 12:28 AM
Darts are ranged weapons though. Can't they be dual wielded?

No. Two weapon fighting is reserved strictly for Melee weapons.

Sartharina
2014-10-16, 12:35 AM
Archery doesn't apply to thrown weapons, as they are Melee weapons, according to Jeremy Crawford. Archery is only ranged weapons like bows and slings.Actually, thrown weapons become ranged weapons when you throw them according to Mike Mearls.

Rummy
2014-10-16, 01:11 AM
Actually, thrown weapons become ranged weapons when you throw them according to Mike Mearls.

Which is why I stated according to Jeremy Crawford. Crazy how there is already a Mearls/Crawford divide on the rules. Is Mearls Lenin to Crawford's Stalin, or the other way around?

IronFist
2014-10-16, 03:54 AM

So according to Crawford, thrown weapons ignore cover? :smallconfused:

Santra
2014-10-16, 06:55 AM

That's a silly rule. Crawford is silly.

Mechaviking
2014-10-16, 08:09 AM
From the Book:

If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack.

And it is a weapon so I fail to see how it is not a ranged weapon attack. Is that just me?

DrLemniscate
2014-10-16, 09:15 AM
Two Weapon Fighting and Great Weapon Fighting for your fighting styles. Pick up the Dual wielder feat.

If you need a burst of damage, you can use TWF for your first attack (getting the bonus action offhand attack), then drop your offhand and proceed to GWF with the Versatile weapon in your mainhand; or continue using it as a 1-hander and use Dueling instead.

MadGrady
2014-10-16, 10:17 AM
You can use two-weapon fighting with a thrown weapons. The rules for that particular maneuver mention being able to throw a dagger as your bonus 2nd attack. Granted I can see the argument that this is because technically a dagger is a melee weapon, so that's why this is the case, but I don't see anything wrong with using darts for this as well.

Plus, who cares if it's RAW, this is D&D 5e, just houserule it :smallbiggrin:

yes that was meant to be slightly sarcastic, but the result is still the same. Some DMs might say yes, some might say no.

numerek
2014-10-16, 04:00 PM
There is very little love in this edition for throwing weapons in general because the do not count as ammunition so you can only draw one of them a turn. Then if you take dual wielder you can draw 2 a turn but once you get extra attack you can no longer draw enough weapons to make 3 attacks each turn. I personally see no problem with have a quiver of daggers, or ruling that the character has them strapped to them for easy access then they can draw them like ammunition but it is not RAW.

As for the ranged melee divide no matter what way you look at it weird things can happen, I personally feel whether the weapon is ranged or melee is up to the current use of the weapon, If a player with archery fighting style clubs someone with their bow I would not let them do it with +2 to hit because the weapon is listed under the ranged weapons in some table. I don't care how good they are at the bow they are not going to be better at clubbing someone with it then someone using an actual club. If someone uses an object as a projectile it is at that time a ranged weapon.

As mike mearls is fond of saying I don't think letting sharpshooter or archery apply to daggers when thrown will break anything. Although I do think that it changes the paladin class quite a bit to allow it to smite when throwing weapons. With so many of its abilities keying off of melee weapons I don't think they are meant to work at even the short range that thrown weapons allow.

Galen
2014-10-16, 05:21 PM
From the Book:

If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack.

And it is a weapon so I fail to see how it is not a ranged weapon attack. Is that just me?

Problem is, Archery combat style doesn't add +2 to "ranged attacks". It adds +2 to "attack rolls you make with ranged weapons".

And "ranged weapons" are the weapons listed in the Weapons table in the PHB under the Ranged heading. Namely: Light Crossbow, Dart, Shortbow, Sling, Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Longbow, Net.

And Two-Weapon Fighting specifically refers to Melee weapons. Which are everything that appears in the weapons table under "melee weapons" ... ie. everything except Light Crossbow, Dart, Shortbow, Sling, Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Longbow, Net.

So, at least if you go by strict RAW reading, there's no combo potential between Archery and TWF.

iskoaya
2014-10-18, 01:56 AM
Problem is, Archery combat style doesn't add +2 to "ranged attacks". It adds +2 to "attack rolls you make with ranged weapons".

And "ranged weapons" are the weapons listed in the Weapons table in the PHB under the Ranged heading. Namely: Light Crossbow, Dart, Shortbow, Sling, Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Longbow, Net.

And Two-Weapon Fighting specifically refers to Melee weapons. Which are everything that appears in the weapons table under "melee weapons" ... ie. everything except Light Crossbow, Dart, Shortbow, Sling, Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow, Longbow, Net.

So, at least if you go by strict RAW reading, there's no combo potential between Archery and TWF.

best part of 5e, there are no rules, only guidelines. ima enjoy my 60 foot no disadvantage uber knife throw of guard slaying.

rahimka
2014-10-18, 02:31 PM
TWF and GWF don't seem to work together even with shenagins because TWF (the action, not the style) in general requires you to be using LIGHT weapons in both hands.

I think Archery wouldn't apply to throwing weapons. The only exceptions would be the Dart or Net, which are explicitly Ranged weapons on the gear table with the Thrown property. If you really want to get that bonus to hit when throwing melee weapons like Daggers or Spears, I'd say go with a house ruled Throwing style with the same bonus for Thrown weapons that Archery gives to Ranged weapons.

Since weapons like the Handaxe and Daggers ARE Light weapons, throwing them definitely benefits with TWF-style (pretty explicit in the description of the action) and I'd also consider Thrown one-handed melee weapons benefiting from Dueling as long as you have only one in hand at a time