PDA

View Full Version : What homebrew classes would you like to see most?

AgentPaper
2014-10-15, 09:53 PM
My first foray into 5e Homebrewing (the Death Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?376910-The-Death-Knight-(Base-Class))/shamelessplug) is wrapping up, and I'm looking at starting on another class. However, I'm not sure what to make. Ideally, I'd like to make something that players actually want to use, and that fits into most campaigns, and just generally get some ideas.

Galen
2014-10-15, 09:56 PM
I would like to see a 5E Binder very much.

Daishain
2014-10-15, 09:56 PM
I'd love to see the artificer return, but I don't think we have enough info on the crafting system to attempt that one.

Very close second would be Psychic Warrior

Rfkannen
2014-10-15, 09:57 PM
Look on a ton of forms and youll find people talking about how much they want a warlord. You know a martial character that leads from the front but only gets 1 attack. I would recommend doing that.

AgentPaper
2014-10-15, 10:06 PM
I would like to see a 5E Binder very much.

What would you say is the most important aspect of a binder? Or in other words, what makes a binder a binder? Compared to say, a warlock, or a wizard that casts a summoning spell?

Galen
2014-10-15, 10:11 PM
What would you say is the most important aspect of a binder? Or in other words, what makes a binder a binder? Compared to say, a warlock, or a wizard that casts a summoning spell?
Unlike a Warlock who serves a patron, the Binder summons vestiges - which are just one step below deities - and he doesn't serve them, they serve him. Well, almost. There's a contest of wills, the vestiges might use the Binder to further their own interests, take over his personality a bit, but generally the master-servant relationship is one way. Or so it's planned.

As for a Wizard casting a summoning spell ... pfey. Don't make me laugh. Not even a contest. You summon a Giant Eagle? I summon Acererak.

AgentPaper
2014-10-15, 10:15 PM
Unlike a Warlock who serves a patron, the Binder summons vestiges - which are just one step below deities - and he doesn't serve them, they serve him. Well, almost. There's a contest of wills, the vestiges might use the Binder to further their own interests, take over his personality a bit, but generally the master-servant relationship is one way. Or so it's planned.

As for a Wizard casting a summoning spell ... pfey. Don't make me laugh. Not even a contest. You summon a Giant Eagle? I summon Acererak.

So, a contest of wills as a major component, with a very clear shift of power from one side to the other...getting a few ideas, I think I might be able to run with this.

Any particular abilities or vestiges you think are important to show up?

Galen
2014-10-15, 11:11 PM
I liked the Elven vestige (Ronove?),the one that gives you proficiency in bows, and archery-related feats. There was one that makes you a mini-Paladin, basically, one that makes you a mini-rogue, and of course Acererak (I'm a Lich. Why aren't you?). These all had a strong flavor, and a strong connection to what the dude was in life.

BRKNdevil
2014-10-15, 11:20 PM
Mainly it meant that you could become a jack of all trades overall, but you'd have to focus in some form or another through your selection of Vestiges, and when the Vestiges won the contest of wills, it just meant that you either submitted to the influence of the vestige or suffer penalties till you got rid of the vestige in question or till the dm says the penalties are gone, and all of things that it effected where usually limited in scope to roleplay moments. More information can be found in the Tome of Magic for 3.5, where it came from, but additional Vestiges could be found in other splat books, such as Dragon Magic i think where you could summon the vestige of the Big Red Dragon with a balor heart whose name i forget. It makes roleplay... interesting. Not Chaotic Evil/Stupid interesting, more like your uncle with terets and schizophrenia interesting.

Eldan
2014-10-16, 03:45 AM
The ones with ties to D&D history. Definitely Tenebrous and Primus. Acererak was fun, too. There's some other candidates from the lower planes. You could really make pretty much anything that was erased from history into a vestige.

1of3
2014-10-16, 04:55 AM
Incarnate / Totemist. (I guess that could be one class with those as flavors as subclasses.)

BRKNdevil
2014-10-16, 06:56 AM
Incarnate / Totemist. (I guess that could be one class with those as flavors as subclasses.)

Tried that before as well, bloody hard to get it right

Ferrin33
2014-10-16, 06:56 AM
To be honest I think the Binder, Incarnate, and Totemist could be one class, with those three as archetypes. You bind things to your soul either way, and the Binder can have "package deals" with his vestiges while the Incarnate/Totemist have individual picks of soulmeld powers for example. It saves space and time writing up the stat blocks for binder vestiges by giving each of them several soul meld powers and makes it a more unified whole instead of having binders feel separate from the rest of the game.

Grayson01
2014-10-16, 08:05 AM
Dragon Shaman

Dragoon

Scout

MadGrady
2014-10-16, 12:10 PM
I always really liked the inquisitor in pathfinder. A sort of religious social hunter. Had bits from Ranger, Cleric, and Fighter all in a nice package.

BRKNdevil
2014-10-16, 12:47 PM
Scout

I tried that, a link is in my sig. and it was quickly disliked by one of two people who bothered to comment on it. And honestly i sort of agree with her. So currently would like more commentary and alternative ideas for it. about the only thing i find useful and flavorful is the Improved Hide in Plain Sight.

Sudden thought. The Ranger/Scout Feat Features would probably be a good replacement, with things adding Vulnerability to damage and such.