PDA

View Full Version : Official DMG Preview: Deck of Many things.... and some humor

CyberThread
2014-10-15, 10:02 PM
http://media.wizards.com/2014/images/dnd/articles/DoMT_p1.jpg

There you go.....

click the link if you want to enlarge the image

http://media.wizards.com/2014/images/dnd/articles/DoMT_p1.jpg

http://media.wizards.com/2014/images/dnd/articles/DoMT_p2.jpg

AgentPaper
2014-10-15, 11:16 PM
22! *Throws deck*

Dralnu
2014-10-15, 11:21 PM
Yay, I can re-use the deck I got from Madness of Gardmore Abbey!

Confused by this wording:
"Once a card is drawn, it fades from existence. Unless the card is the Fool or Jester, the card reappears in the deck, making it possible to draw the same card twice."

So the card fades from existence, then reappears in the deck, with the exception being Fool or Jester?

Daishain
2014-10-15, 11:23 PM
Yeah, every time I see one of these things, I can't help but wonder why someone would choose to use it save for a love of pure chaos.

Sartharina
2014-10-15, 11:32 PM
Yeah, every time I see one of these things, I can't help but wonder why someone would choose to use it save for a love of pure chaos.Same reason people gamble - hopes of getting lucky with a significant power boost, and ignoring the risks of catastrophic failure.

I really like that +1 Sword of Nunyabisniz

And they misspelled Guaranteed.

Valraukar
2014-10-16, 04:28 AM
Yeah, every time I see one of these things, I can't help but wonder why someone would choose to use it save for a love of pure chaos.

Seems like tons of fun to me!

Fenix_of_Doom
2014-10-16, 05:35 AM
Oké, I'll bite, why on earth is the the card that imprisons you called the Donjon? a donjon is a tall tower, sometimes referred to as a keep, it is not a dungeon, even though wikipedia tells me the word dungeon does derive from donjon. I hate it when they mess up stuff like this.

Valraukar
2014-10-16, 05:41 AM
Oké, I'll bite, why on earth is the the card that imprisons you called the Donjon? a donjon is a tall tower, sometimes referred to as a keep, it is not a dungeon, even though wikipedia tells me the word dungeon does derive from donjon. I hate it when they mess up stuff like this.

Maybe the trope of being imprisoned in a tall tower, whether in fiction (eg. Rapunzel) or history (Liz Bathory)? Just a guess

Cazero
2014-10-16, 06:25 AM
Maybe the trope of being imprisoned in a tall tower, whether in fiction (eg. Rapunzel) or history (Liz Bathory)? Just a guess

The french term "donjon" definitly refers to the keep. People imprisonned in it are too valuable for regular jail, where people were barely fed, had no beds and all other sort of nasty stuff like that. Those first class prisonners must be heavily guarded (or stereotypical damsel in distress, for wich a locked and heavy wooden door is enough) since a keep is designed to defend from exterior threat and not inner revolt.
The proper french term for the underground jail with no hope of return that the card picture inspire would be "oubliettes". Some were deep holes where you throw people to let them die slowly.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-10-16, 07:46 AM
Sweet! If there's complete art for the card in the DMG I'mma be makin' me own deck o' cards.