PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Shards and Crafts

Pages : [1] 2

RFLS
2014-10-16, 01:06 AM
Shards and Crafts

Sharn... a magical city built out of stone reaching for the sky, filled with the rich, the poor, mages and warriors and merchants alike. No bigger trade port exists, no larger center of lore, no bigger den of thieves. The Dragonmarked Houses work in the shadows or openly as they please, controlling large portions of the infrastructure and trade while warring between themselves. House Sivis works through the banking and centers of lore; House Lyrandar through trade. House Medani and Deneith ply their trade in adventurers, guards, and mercenaries. The list goes on, and ends with House Cannith, the crafters. Responsible for arming the nations and building the warforged, they are arguably the key to Eberron as it is now. House Cannith spreads across the whole of Khorvaire, just as fragmented as the nations of the continent. From Sharn, Merrix d'Cannith rules the southern portions of the House with an iron fist.

His obsession with the warforged and their creation forges is well known throughout Khorvaire. He pounces on every rumor of a forge, every scrap of information as to their workings, and every unique or differently constructed warforged he can get his hands on. What's less known, though, is that he finally has a solid lead on a new, or very, very old creation forge...

Each of you received word differently. Perhaps a special envoy dropped a letter on your doorstep late at night. Maybe an old acquaintance mysteriously dropped by, asking if you'd be interested in a job. Maybe it was more direct - a representative of House Cannith took you to lunch and made you an offer. Regardless, each of you has received a very special invitation from House Cannith - specifically, from Merrix himself.

You've assembled slowly in his antechamber - a dashing pirate, a giantess, a strange man with a mechanical arm, a gnome astride a tiger, a hunter with a hunted look, and a fiery young woman. Now, you're simply awaiting his summons.

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 06:06 AM
The next morning, his first after the Lady Pearl sank, Aerin wakes up in an alley, his mind more than a little bleary.
The Pearl... she's gone... and with her, my hopes of being captain. But... once a captain, always a captain, so I just need a ship. But not just any ship. Anything less than the best would be an insult to the Lady's memory. Hm... Cannith does have fine ships, and this job the messenger spoke of... could easily lead to a ship. Annoying the Canniths isn't a good idea, but if no one knows...

With those cheery thoughts, Aerin sets out, for the waiting room, his movements off balence, as he isn't used to land yet. Wandering through Sharn, he hopes the messengers' directions were good, and as he ascends the fine tower, he realizes that they are.

Once he reaches the door, he swings them open, and steps through, gaudily, but on the other side... there was just the secretary... hardly worth impressing. A little take aback by that, Aerin refuses to show it, and sweeps in, his seacoat flaring behind him, blackened, and salt encrusted, smelling of fire and sea.

Looks like I'm the first one to arrive.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-16, 07:18 AM
Navanir's day begins as it usually does. the space by her bedside has been cleared for her exercises. Breathe in, and breathe out. Concentrate on something in your mind. Hold it there, between the spaces. Allow it to consume you. At first she doesn't know what she is seeing, before she recognizes the inner thigh bone of a gray linnorm. Linnorm: a species of dragonkin normally relevated to the high steppes, where they use pack-hunting techniques to bring down large prey. For a moment, she is in her library, surrounded by tomes on the subject. She can read their mating habits, their average lifespan, and their flight patterns. Everything about them, collated and quantified on the pages before her. Before long she loses interest and moves on to another form.

After about an hour, she is covered in sweat. The meditation can take a toll on the body, if she lets it. Gale has told her that the exercises she performs while in her mind library are unconscious, born of instinct. She never remembers them. A quick shower and breakfast before she's out the door, into the world of Sharn.

The giantess moves through the Cannith lobby with a purpose. Her long blonde hair has been tied back for once, and she is outfitted in a good deal of adventuring gear. Blue eyes sweep the room, taking in the grand architecture, the secretary, the pirate. Her pause is almost infinitesimal.

Reviewing the evidence, the elf standing in front of her can only be a pirate. Well that, or he likes to dress up like one. His long coat and the stench of salt confirms that this is indeed someone who was accustomed to the sea. His features are finer than she was accustomed to seeing, despite the slightly melodramatic touches of the coat and hat. Floating at her side, Gale begins to pulse with his characteristic blue light.

Hmm. This one looks to have potential.

Don't be rude. You know the saying about books, don't you? Moving forward, the giantess extends her hand in greeting. Her smile is calculated down to the inch; a mask for her intrigue. There was only one way to get to know the stranger who could only be here on the same errand.

"Good day. The name is Navanir Stormblood, but you may call me Navanir. I don't presume to know who you are...?" She lets the end of the sentence hang as a silent question.

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 07:30 AM
Standing, the stench of sea and smoke still wafting him, a truly lovely aroma, Aerin smiles as he sees the lovely giantess come in. He bows low, his hat sweeping off of his head and to the side, clasped in his left hand. His right hand swiftly captures her hand, and lightly kisses the back of it. All in all, quite a theatrical bow.
"Greetings, Lady Navanir, and her charming companion. Captain Aerin, at your service."
As he comes out of the bow, he smiles winningly at her and the pulsing light, even as his hand returns his hat to his head, tilting it at the proper angle.
"I see Cannith's hiring standards have clearly improved since they contacted me, to attract so fine a lady."

Cardea
2014-10-16, 09:57 AM
Awake. Cloth. Bed. Fatigue is tapping him awake, tiny clay hands with tiny metal plating smacking his thigh. He rises, he stops, they stare. Breakfast is already there on his desk. The tiny crafter's golem walks away back to another part of the ship. He takes small bites, holding the tray with a flesh hand, eating with a metal one, seeing how far the sensory magic goes. He peels the skin off the fruit, tenderly flaying it from its meat, and rises to the deck of his ship. An average man by most needs, but marred by the strange gait as he walks, the metal of his arm, and the plating on his shoulder. Fatigue arrives near him on the deck with a small basket, and a card. Fatigue runs back below deck. The man stares at the letter, biting the fruit, watching juice slip onto the letter, frowning. He finishes the fruit, relishing the sharpness, and dresses himself back to full. Boots, strapped. Belt. Shirts. Vest. Gloves. Headband. Monocle. He is slow to put them on, relishing the taste of magic changing him. The cloak is last, fixed to his shoulders, and the metal's elbow, to conceal. He tears the letter in half. He knows who it is from.

He is in the waiting room, now. He keeps an eye on the warforged. He nods to them. Respect? Greeting? It is brief, and was done when he entered, but he is still and silent now in his chair. Family was family, but he knows not to show anything to them. He is metal, in his mind, unbending, unmoving, until acted upon. A flashy man who stinks of vices is moving. A giantess, larger than life, is moving. But he does not. He did not speak when he entered, he does not speak now. Relgaddon stares at the doors of Merrix, waiting to see what his beloved cousin has in store for him. "Cannith has no standards. They make what they need," he speaks, slowly, aloud. "Or they take what is available. You are available. She is available. I am available. So we are here. No confusion."

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 10:13 AM
Aerin, his flamboyant greeting interrupted by the words of the rather slow man, hiding in a dark corner, looks over at him, shaking his head.
"Surely not! For they must have standards, to have attracted such a lovely lady as Lady Navanir! But they must have been recently added, for you are here, as am I. But perhaps you would like to introduce yourself? After all, it's only polite to do so after interrupting."
Aerin flashes Relgaddon a smile, in an attempt to encourage him.

Cardea
2014-10-16, 10:18 AM
"No. Still confused. I am back from assignment. Am available. You are around. You are available. She is around. She is available. Am having been available before you both. Many years now. First time seeing you two. This makes you newly available." Relgaddon says, his gaze not straying from the door. "Am Cannith. Am here for family."

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 10:21 AM
Aerin's easy smile looks more strained now, but he tries to keep it going, as he tries to figure out this golem like individual.
"Come now, where's your sense of adventure? Or your heart? You sound like a warforged! Have some pride!"

Cardea
2014-10-16, 10:27 AM
Relgaddon's gaze does not stray. He shrugs in response. "Am thinking you have enough for both of us. Is good. Most likely, I will be flying you somewhere. Making for better meal conversation." He turns his head slowly, meeting the man's for the first time. "Is rude be using Warforged name in such manner." He turns his head back to Merrix' door.

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 10:32 AM
Aerin shakes his head in disapproval of Regaddon's attitude, turning his attention back to the giantess, inwardly wondering what she made of that conversation.

WebTiefling
2014-10-16, 11:33 AM
Mikk Desivv, Gnome Artificer, kissed Lilyta goodbye.

"Don't worry darling, I'm well aware that Cannith might be trying something underhanded, and I'll be on the alert. I won't agree to anything until I've examined every angle."

She sighed, "I know dear. Take care. I'll see you when you get back."

Mikk kissed her again and hopped up onto the large tiger. The white and black beast padded across the floating mansion which Mikk had made for his growing status as an independent operator in the politics of Sharn. Or, at least as independent as a person could be in the tangled webs of subterfuge. As they got to the flight deck, a massive Warforged Charger stood at the ready and a hired flight car stood waiting for Mikk.

"Take care of Mistress Lilyta and obey her, Crunch."

The Charger nodded with a grunt and Mikk rode past, straight onto the flying car. "Office of Merrix d'Cannith."

The man nodded as he took off across the skies, angling down toward the towers of the great city.

-------------

The massive white tiger that Mikk rode into Merrix's suite of rooms had its desired effect - attention and a slight alarm. Oh he did love his wife's genius in getting the tiger for him. Since he was the only one riding the tiger at the moment, it had been set up with a single saddle. The gadget-festooned gnome always enjoyed the splash he made when riding through Sharn.

As he padded through the door, he heard some voices in conversation, he obviously wasn't the first. He dismounted from the tiger and strode forward. He recognized Relgaddon, having gone on a couple trips with the man. While he was a blood member of Cannith family, Mikk didn't hold it against him - as far as he could tell he wasn't part of the inner circles of Cannith power. And he was such an excellent Artificer too!

Mikk didn't recognize the giantess or the ... captain-looking fellow. The giantess was ringing some vague bells deep in his memory, but he couldn't place her at the moment.

He walked up to the secretary and announced, loudly enough that the others could hear if they were so inclined, but only if they were interested, "Master Artificer Mikk Desivv is here at Master Merrix's invitation."

Mikk turns to the others, "Good day to you Master Artificer Relgaddon, it is a pleasure to see you. How is your arm these days?"

Some people viewed the mechanical arm as a loss or a poor substitute - a handicap to be politely ignored.

Those people were idiots.

That arm was a fantastic piece of engineering! Mikk had been interested enough to occasionally entertain the thought of trying artificial limbs for himself. He wasn't quite that interested in the Warforged arm replacement, but oh what a fascinating piece of magical and mechanical design work!

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 11:45 AM
Seeing the white tiger, Aerin's hand darts towards the rapier at his belt, but he soon spots the gnome perched on it's back, and relaxes, before calling out, so everyone can hear.
"Now, that's how to make an entrance! If I had a ride like that, maybe I wouldn't have gone to sea! Captain Aerin, and this lovely lady is Lady Navanir Stormblood."

Ryuuk
2014-10-16, 12:04 PM
So this was the legendary Sharn. Jovi had spent the day before making his way through the city. Towers and people as far as the eye could see and a peculiar smell that he was sure could be attributed to civilization. Still, there was a beauty to it. Were it less crowded, less noisy, he would have loved to let Tago spread his wings and enjoy himself while he admired the sights. Yesterday he learned that it was not such a good idea. Tago did not fear human, monster or machine, and clawed at much worse. Random onlookers trying to pet it and pluck its feathers ended about as well as could be expected. Thankfully, deep wounds were left, but for now, best for him to stay at the Vadalis enclave in Dragon Towers. Cities.

They'd been welcoming, and the distant aunt he'd never met seemed able enough, even if she was younger then he. Tago was in her care while he made his way to the meeting. The Vadalis tower was quaint compared to Cannith's, he doubted such an animal would be welcome within the offices at least.

Yet when he entered, the first thing he saw was the Ghost Tiger. Cities. Relgaddon... the man who crawled out of the mist? Still, he could at least hear a few of the introductions, even if his entrance was much less stellar. He'd washed his cloak, cleaned his boots, but their travels was still clear. Ultimately, he'd been made an offer though, he didn't come a beggar. "Please pardon my delay. Breedmaster Jovis Vadalis"

Cardea
2014-10-16, 12:06 PM
Relgaddon unclips his cloak from the arm, showing a limb made of metals and brute force. "Arm is doing fine, thank you, Mikk. Surprise to see you. Other surprise. Take look." Relgaddon says, reaching at his hip, and pulling out a strange crossbow. Made of metal and some wood, the stock is widened. He reaches his metal hand into it, the prosthetic compressing itself as it slides into the gap. There are clicks and metal grating on metal, and the hand that Relgaddon had is gone, seemingly replaced entirely by a crossbow in its place. He reaches into its slider, pulling out a strange colored crossbow bolt. "Am making my Armbow. Take look. Aurorum Bolts. They heal persons instead of making wounds. And best part? They can be regenerated, like limb. No further cost to self. Sufficient, yes? How is your estate and wonderful Lilyta?"

3SecondCultist
2014-10-16, 12:44 PM
Navanir pauses as the menagerie of individuals make their way into the room. The tiger in particular catches her attention. But she takes a moment to turn back to Aerin, her expression adopting a touch of annoyance - but only for a moment, before she lets a smile take over.

"I'm no lady, captain. As I said, just Navanir will do fine."

She waits and inspects the newcomers with an appraising eye, but says nothing for now. They are all here for the same thing, and they seem more than content to speak amongst themselves. Although the gnome who introduced himself as Mikk seems familiar. She approaches him, towering over his frame before taking a step backwards out of courtesy.

"I know you from somewhere... have you ever been to Morgrave University, by chance?"

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 01:14 PM
Aerin looks over Jovi as he enters the room, noting the worn look of his boots, and the much used nature of his cloak.
"Breedmaster? That must have been an interesting title to obtain. I don't think I've ever met one of those before."
He holds out his hand.
"Captain Aerin Seafarer."

However, when Navanir says that she isn't a lady, he clasps his hand over his heart, as if wounded.
"Not a lady? There's no justice left in the world."

Ryuuk
2014-10-16, 02:15 PM
A title created by the house to impress outsiders. "It means the Vadalis can vouch for me." Jovi smiles. "A pleasure to meet you Captain." A day were he could say it without someone snickering was a good day. He shakes his hand.

Few would say there ever was any. Sitting on the idea briefly, he pushes it aside. Now wasn't the time. If the southern head of the gorgon had called these people here as well, then a good impression above all else.

When he saw the arm, he was sure. How many one armed Relgaddons could there be after all? He seemed to be doing well, which was good. What the mad machines had done to him... It was a warning he had taken to heart. Still, "Aurorum?" If something like that worked in the Mournland...

Cardea
2014-10-16, 02:22 PM
Relgaddon turns his stony view to this... Breedmaster. "Is metal. Can fix self. Very useful. Rare. Good for ammunitions. Never lose arrow. Making weapon making non-expendable on such things. But your name. Jovis. Am thinking I know it? Am running barge between here and New Cyre for family affairs. There is talk of you when I resupply. You do good things, yes?" He stands slowly, holding his real arm forward to shake.

WebTiefling
2014-10-16, 02:51 PM
Mikk positively preens at Captain Aerin's compliment to his tiger and entrance.

"Thank you good sir! We shorter folk sometimes are not noticed among you taller folk, and Athena there is very good at making sure no one walks into me. Captain Aerin and Just Navanir, it is a pleasure to meet you. I ..."

Breedmaster Jovi walks in, and Mikk pauses at the introductions. "And well met to you too, I am Mikk Desivv. We ..." he looks around, "seem to have quite the collection of people here. Hmmm, most interesting."

To Relgaddon, he pays a most interested attention at the arm demonstration. "Most fascinating and ingenious! Quite a bit more useful than my arm, I must say, though I don't know if Lilyta would like me swapping out an arm. She is doing very well, and I have to admit that the floating estate is proving most useful. It honestly started out as more of an experimental project than anything else, but with backers and development rights behind it, it grew to a full-blown estate. There are several houses that have some interest in the designs. I must say I'm enjoying it thoroughly."

While speaking, he has been examining the arm closely. "And using Aurorum for bolts ... to shoot someone ... heal them ... and the bolts regenerate? Relgaddon, I am most impressed!" He waves a finger at the arm, "This, this is a perfect example of the benefits of fundamental research and investigation into lost knowledge. Bean counters are always talking about the costs for expeditions or experiments, but then things like this are developed! Brilliant!"

He turns to Navanir, "I've worked at Morgrave University quite often in the past, though it has been a while. I ... have done projects in conjunction with the people there, and I've joined in a few of their advanced classes to keep abreast of the latest developments and discoveries, mainly in the fields of magical harnessing. "

Mikk pauses for a moment, looking intently at Navanir, "Of course! Now I remember; I thought you looked familiar but I couldn't place you at first. You've been there researching ... it was, um," wracking his memory, "native humanoids and animals of Xen'drik and ... oh, ... effects of manifest zones on physiological development?

"It was a bit outside my field, so I might have some details wrong, but several researchers there were very complimentary about your paper!"

Mikk claps his hands together.

"Oh, I do have such high hopes for this meeting now! What a delightfully diverse, yet intersting group to have been gathered together. Has anyone been able to wheedle some advanced knowledge of the reasons behind House Cannith's invitation here? I was a bit skeptical when I first received the request."

Ryuuk
2014-10-16, 02:53 PM
Slowly, Jovis nods. "New Cyre has been my home since it was founded. I lead expeditions into Old Cyre. The first few months it was for survivors... Now its for answers." He nods at the Captain before excusing himself and shaking the Master's hand. "The Mournland always finds something new to throw at you though. Its almost an arms race. One I'd rather not lose. If those are new Cannith inventions, and they can heal even inside Cyre's mist, then this trip may have already been worth it."

Cardea
2014-10-16, 03:08 PM
"Added surprise. Armbow helps aim. Do not need much time to account for battle confusion, if target is intermingled with ally or enemy. Armbow accounts for such things. Taking week to make. Had time. Travels are long. You know this." Relgaddon says, looking unflinchingly at Jovis. He leans in close, hushing his words in the proximity. "Am finding that best arm is preventative. Cannot regrow lost arm in Mournland. But can learn to prevent tragedy. Unseen. Untouched. These two things are best to learn." He sits back down slowly, letting go of Jovis' hand, and speaks again. "Is not Cannith creation. Is my creation. My modification. Aurorum is rare earth metal. Healing arrows already existing. Combine. Not knowing if working in Mournland. Will need to test."

3SecondCultist
2014-10-16, 03:18 PM
My my, he's a chatty one. Gale flits in small circles around Mikk, and Navanir can't help but think that the psicrystal can live up to his namesake. He dims the light, and begins a rhythmic series of pulses that indicate his scanning the gnome. That it is a showy affair can't be helped, it seems. The giantess sighs inwardly.

Really? Are we really doing this right now? I thought the whole point was to not make fools of ourselves. Outwardly, she allows herself some genuine excitement as the gnome pieces everything together. Of the group, this is the first individual to have actually piqued her interest. She remembers him now - he attended one of her lectures on interplanar mechanics last term. Bowing her head as though in deference, Navanir pulls up one of the chairs from nearby.

"My most recent paper? Why, thank you! I'm not altogether happy about some of the exclusionary logic, but it couldn't be helped. Sometimes for the sake of a just argument, fallacy and bias are unavoidable." She considers letting her hair down, and thinks better of it. Having everything pinned up like this does tend to distract her, but it would more than a little impolite right now. Having gotten what he came for, Gale finishes his circuit and returns to his regular place: roughly a foot above her right shoulder.

Thank you, that wasn't at all annoying.

I do my best.

In response to Mikk's last question, Navanir directs her voice to the rest of the group. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I called House Cannith myself in order to ask for help regarding a recent undertaking. I wish to travel back to the lost continent, in order to study giant society for a... new book." The lie sits easy on her tongue. It isn't entirely untrue, in any case. "I received a reply within a few days. Cannith is nothing if not prompt."

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 03:24 PM
As the others talk, Aerin listens.
A bunch of scientists. Wonderful. Why do I think that Jovis and I are here to escort them?

Finally, Aerin addresses Mikk.
"From those here, they are planning an expedition, by sea or air, to near somewhere that they expect danger to be present, as well as an opportunity for new discoveries. I imagine that each of us was chosen for our expertise in our own areas of proficiency. Unfortunately, I don't know the destination, but I imagine we will have a day or two to prepare before departure, as maps and supplies will need to be procured."

Cardea
2014-10-16, 04:11 PM
"By Air," Relgaddon says, turning his gaze to Aerin. "I am called. Therefore, my ship is called. I have supplies. Maps are easy to procure. Only reason for delaying would be for personal reasons."

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 05:15 PM
Aerin glances over to Relgaddon.
"Your ship may not be the best form of transportation. Airships tend to be quite visible, and quite vulnerable. Leaving before we are prepared would be foolish, and I am no fool."

Chambers
2014-10-16, 08:45 PM
Erin Orien

"They're also big and intimidating as their shadow passes over you." Erin says as she walks through the doorway. She scans the faces in the room as she enters and closes the door behind her. No, no, no, no...no. Not a mark between them, at least not visible. "Erin Orien, of Aundair." She says, her soft lilting accent betraying her country without a need of declaration.

She looks towards Relgaddon. "You have an airship then?" She glances down at his arm briefly. Warforged cultist, with money. She toys with one of the tassels on her fine robes and raises an eyebrow. "Perhaps wherever we're going our host doesn't want the rest of his family to know if he's securing outside transportation. Regarding that, any interesting speculations?"

Archmage1
2014-10-16, 08:53 PM
Seeing Erin walk in, Aerin smiles. He enjoyed acting the fop, and here was another chance. He approaches her, looking pleased to see her.
"Greetings, Lady Erin Orien, it's lovely to meet you."
As he introduces himself, he, of course, bows deeply, once more sweeping his hat neatly off of his head, and as he finishes his greeting, he carefully seizes her hand, and lightly kisses the back of it.
"Captain Aerin, at your service."

Chambers
2014-10-16, 09:16 PM
Erin

"Actually, my mother is Lady d'Orien -" she starts to say but is startled by the elf's sudden holding of her hand. She yelps in surprise and a gaseous vapor pours out of her mouth that starts to form into a blazing cloud of fire. She yanks her hand from Aerin's and swipes hers through the gas before it fully forms, dissipating it. She stares at Aerin and the flames that expired in the air are now dancing in her eyes. "Do you always go around touching people without asking their permission, elf? Never extend yourself that privilege with me."

Cardea
2014-10-16, 09:16 PM
Relgaddon notices the woman's glance at his arm, and unhooks his armbow, putting it back in its straps. He fastens his cloak to his arm again, hiding the metal from sight. "Yes. Shot of Destiny. Is looking like large transport ship. Is small by design. Is typical of family to have me move persons of importance or items of note to and from city to city. If am knowing cousin Merrix, I am moving you persons somewhere." He laughs, a slow wheezing thing, at the woman's reaction to Aerin's gesture. He turns his gaze to Aerin again. "Am not saying you are fool. Am saying, this is what I do for family. Previous experience dictate future behaviors. Shot of Destiny is minor ship. Smaller target. She is fine vessel. You will like her."

WebTiefling
2014-10-16, 09:17 PM
"Oh, speculation is just what we were going on about. Master Artificer Mikk Desivv at your service," he tips the flat-topped cap to the well-dressed woman. "Bit of an all-around crafter and formerly worked for House Desivv before ... deciding to retire. All we've been able to certainly decide on is that there's some travel involved and probably something that needs some particular investigation or knowledge as they have contacted a couple subject matter experts."

Mikk gestures to the half-giant woman seated before him and the mechanically-armed man nearby.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-16, 09:52 PM
Navanir nods slowly as she listens in to Relgaddon and Captain Aerin talk amongst themselves. Transportation by air is probably the fastest mode of getting to the lost continent, and she doubts that House Cannith is worried about being visible. If Merrix d'Cannith has gathered a group such as this, the most likely logic would be a desire for a small, self-sufficient cell of operatives that can work outside of the bureaucracy of the dragonmarked houses - and Khorvairian politics in general. If staying hidden were an issue, he would not have relayed such public summons. At the very least, he would want to make sure that his agents could hold their own.

She says none of this out loud, opting instead to see what kinds of conclusions her new traveling companions come to on their own. This will be a good gauge for their deductive powers, if nothing else. Gale's voice fills her head once more, picking up on her train of thought.

Isn't it a bit... odd that Merrix has sought everyone out in this manner?

Odd? Elaborate.

I mean, the gnome was right on the money. We aren't exactly low-profile individuals. I can't speak for the Breedmaster, but the rest are publicly known for their expertise in their chosen fields. So why would the head of House Cannith seek us out?

Yes, I believe I already said that he wants to keep it out-of house.

I know all of that, but why? If it's something for the good of House Cannith, then it makes zero sense to look for specialists outside his own talent pool. They're one of the most powerful and influential families on the continent, with armies of their own followers. The way I see it, the most probable conclusion that Merrix doesn't trust his house with an errand like this.

Gale, that's a matter of public record. Everyone knows that House Cannith is split into three factions.

But Navanir, it means that whatever we're going to be doing will likely go towards putting Merrix d'Cannith in a more secure position of power. We might be going there for knowledge, but I'm guessing that these artificer-types are looking for something a bit less esoteric. Maybe a device or schematic for some forgotten weapon?

Navanir sighs. Gale isn't necessarily wrong, but he has a tendency to jump to conclusions. She decides to wait and see what the details of their assignment are before ruminating any further on the subject. When Erin Orien arrives, she bows her head in deference to the painted woman.

"Greetings. I see the captain wasted no time breaching your personal space." She allows herself a chuckle, to lighten the mood. "His approach was the same with me, I'm afraid. The name is Navanir, and it's a pleasure to meet you."

Archmage1
2014-10-17, 05:52 AM
Surprised by Erin's overreaction, Aerin hesitates for a moment, before relaxing, and smiling at her.
"Of course, dear Lady. It's just so much more fun that way. But if you object... although my heart is wounded, I will endeavorto stay the course."

To Relgaddon, Aerin looks over at him once more.
"You mean you expect everyone to keep on doing the same thing? That seems like an excellent way to take the fun out of life!"

RFLS
2014-10-17, 03:46 PM
Almost before the last words are out of Aerin's mouth, the door to Merrix's office swings open. Another warforged stands on the other side, holding it open. Unlike the two guards on either side of the door, this one seems personable, if a warforged can ever be described as such. It wears a simple tunic over its chestplate, an unusual affectation for a warforged, and carries a sword at its side

In a low, grumbling voice, it invites you in - "Master Merrix will see you now."

The inside of the office is surprisingly (or unsurprisingly, for those familiar with the man), well, humble. A simple workbench covered in machinery and arcane devices covers the wall to your left, and an overflowing set of bookshelves covers the wall to your right. At the far end of the room is a desk, framed squarely between two windows. And, at the desk, sits a man.

Merrix d'Cannith. Rumors about him abound - that he has a creation forge, that he is responsible for the psiforged, that he has plans to unite House Cannith, that he has members of his own House assassinated simply to maintain stability. The list goes on and on, and runs through many of your heads as you see him sitting there before you.

He's not what you would expect from the head of House Cannith South. He looks almost plain. He has long, reddish hair and a neatly trimmed beard, with a strong jawline and brown, mellow eyes. A cloak is thrown over the back of his chair, with a broach displaying the coat of arms of House Cannith. As you enter, he's writing what looks to be a letter, partridge quill moving quickly and efficiently across the page. He doesn't look up until you've nearly reached him, at which point he swiftly folds the letter, deposits it in an envelope, and seals it with a ring before indicating the circle of chairs before his desk. He's clearly made accommodations for each of you - there's a large, sturdily built chair for Navanir, and a smaller, shorter chair for Mikk.

As you seat yourselves, he greets you in a surprisingly pleasant voice.

"Thank you all for coming. As I'm sure you're aware, I am Merrix. I know who each of you are, so a round of introductions is not necessary, as, I assume, your own introductions were made in the other room."

He frowns slightly, and then continues.

"As I'm sure you've figured out for yourselves, it's taken an unusual set of circumstances for me to ask you here today. You're all prominent individuals in some way, with...varying, to put it mildly, backgrounds. However, you have two things in common - you're all extraordinarily intelligent, and none of you are particularly politically affiliated with House Cannith."

Another pause and a deeper frown.

"So. Here's what you're here for - I'm looking for someone. A very specific someone, who, until recently, was a member of my household and a trusted friend. His name is Jarvath d'Cannith. As I'm sure some of the more academic among you are aware, he's a scholar of sorts, specializing in the creation of constructs. A few days ago, he went missing, along with some very, very important documents. I want you to find him, or his body, and I want you to recover the documents. "

3SecondCultist
2014-10-17, 04:09 PM
As she is led into the office, Navanir takes a moment to inspect her surroundings. An austere workplace usually signifies an organized man - or at least a driven one, not prone to frivolity. Good. She can feel her heartbeat slow as she takes her seat. Most people under duress would have the adverse reactions. She knows she isn't most people.

"Can we assume, then, given the nature of our talents and the fields of our expertise, you believe him to be off-continent?" She doesn't say Xen'drik, not yet. Merrix wouldn't have gotten back to her so quickly if her own interests didn't intersect with his own. The name Javarath immediately conjures up memories. The Cannith gambler, the expert on all things warforged. A valuable asset to the house, and a personal friend of Merrix. The idea that someone within the house may be responsible for his disappearance is troubling, to say the least.

Slightly flustered, Navanir glances around the room at the others, to gauge their expressions. She does remember, however, to give her most gracious of smiles to the leader of the dragonmarked house. She cannot afford to offend or to presume.

Well, we're playing nice today!

Of course. If we're going to get to the truth, then we're going to need allies.

Rolling a Knowledge (Local) check to see what I can find out about Javarath.

[roll0]

Archmage1
2014-10-17, 04:58 PM
Invited inside, Aerin follows, not taking the lead, or the rear of the group. He takes in the office, and swiftly realized that Merrix wanted to seem humble. Whether he was or not... didn't really matter.

He takes in Merrix as well, noting his lack of care at the approach of the group.
Confident in his security, perhaps overconfident. But then, this would be a poor target.
At Merrix's gesture, Aerin, ever the showman, gaudily doffs his hat, before sitting, leaning back in the chair as he considers what was said, his hat in his lap.
"An interesting request, and one that means that you don't trust your own house, so you think it was an inside job. Those are tricky, really. Very effective when they work, but they often don't, and you risk your mole turning, and then you're sailing into a trap. More information about him would be critical. If we can locate the control, or if we can confirm that he was working alone, your task becomes much simpler. However, I don't work for free. What are you offering?"

Ryuuk
2014-10-17, 05:40 PM
A lesson learned long ago. Jovis nods at the Master's advice. Still, with a tired smile, he continues. "Next time you find yourself in New Cyre, I would gladly help you test them." The group grows. He was fine just listening to them talk. After her reaction to the Captain, he keeps his distance and offers a polite nod to who it seems would be the last invite.

Still, as the doors are opened, he makes his way with the others to meet the man that runs Cannith South.

To business, simple flattery, and the blunt of it. The disappearance of a creator of constructs... Very well. If Navanir was right, then he saw his role in this. As for Aerin's question, he knew what he wanted. Beyond those questions though, there were basics to be answered. "Where did he disappear from?"

Chambers
2014-10-17, 08:48 PM
Erin

"Perhaps such important research should not have been trusted to one with his predilections." Erin says. She's not surprised by the humble - according to his stature - accommodations. Head of House, sure, but the man is foremost a tinkerer. She nods at her companions questions and takes a moment to think of what Merrix has said. Dead or alive. The body and the documents are the primary concern. No love lost here.

"Is it House policy to keep duplicates of research notes?" She asks. "If Jarvath absconded with his research and destroyed any copies that could mean another House or Country is involved. Whom do you suspect of espionage? To whom did Jarvath owe the most money?"

RFLS
2014-10-18, 12:14 PM
Ignore. Mis-post

Cardea
2014-10-18, 12:31 PM
"It is good to see you again, Merrix," Relgaddon says, lumbering slowly into the chair. He rests his metal on the chair, delicately clinking against the finery. He smiles at his cousin, a warm oddity on his face. "I am being here for while day before am called again. Was worried you were losing work. The Giantess Navanir," he says, gesturing with real arm, "Is bringing point. Where are you thinking cousin Jarvath is being taken?"

I don't have K: Local. How much do I know about my cousin?

RFLS
2014-10-18, 12:48 PM
"I wouldn't say I suspect him being....off continent, as you put it. I've asked you here because that was the direction his research was headed, and you in particular seem suited to understand his research and use it to track him. Unfortunately, we have no copies of his research. "

Addressing Jovis, he replies " That, however, we do know: he was taken or fled two nights ago from his home in the upper level of the city. His belongings were untouched, except for his desk, which was emptied."

Finally, addressing Arin with another frown " We can pay you in the manner of your preference, but I would prefer to have that discussion after we've come to an understanding about what you'll be doing for House Cannith.

Archmage1
2014-10-18, 12:59 PM
Aerin looks confused.
"Don't you want us to hunt this fellow down?"

RFLS
2014-10-18, 01:17 PM
" Yes, very much so. Hunt him down, bring him and his research back. And, most importantly, do it quickly and quietly.If it's at all possible, bring him in alive."

3SecondCultist
2014-10-18, 01:48 PM
Navanir nods slowly as Merrix outlines the particulars of the job. She cycles through several initial plans, before settling on one and shelving the rest.

"I have a few more questions, sir. You said his research was at least headed off-continent. Is there anything you can tell us now about the general aim of his most recent projects dating back... let's say a year or two?" She isn't sure what kind of answer she expects from the baron of Cannith South. If Javarath's interests lie in constructs, and warforged specifically, then Merrix is sure to answer along the same lines. But a part of Navanir is hesitant to trust her new-found employer. It's a simple enough test. Her blue eyes stare directly into his, as though evaluating the balance of his soul and finding it wanting.

"And I'll need to see his home as well, to see if I can pick up anything on my own." What the giantess omits is the fact that she trusts the evidence of her own eyes above any official report. She is nothing if not an empiricist, after all.

I'm getting in on this Sense Motive action as well.

[roll0]

Ryuuk
2014-10-19, 01:41 PM
Then there was no struggle? That sounded odd, was this really an abduction? Still, at least his other belonging were still intact, there may be a trail to pick up. He wasn't and an inquisitive or a Tharashk, and gods new he was out of his element in the city, but as long as there was something to follow. He nods at Navanir's request. "Agreed, his home would be a start."

Still, he listens. The questions that were answered were almost as interesting as those that weren't.

RFLS
2014-10-20, 01:13 AM
Merrix blinks once before replying to Navanir's pointed question.

"As far as I know, he was simply researching how certain constructs can become sentient, which inevitably had him researching the warforged. I believe recently he had become invested in the few details we have concerning the workings of a Creation Forge.

And, of course, you can visit his home. He lived in the Mithral District of middle city; my aide will give you the exact address. "

Mithral District is wealthy residential.

Archmage1
2014-10-20, 06:01 AM
Aerin, listening in, still hasn't heard some of the information that he seeks, but he thinks that asking another question or two might improve his chances of getting the job.
"Did he work with anyone else, or did he have any friends?"

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 11:05 AM
Mikk has been more than a little leery of this Merrix d'Cannith, but the prospect of adventure and discovery had gotten him enthused. And then it appears that the summons is just a missing-persons search - clandestinely, of course.

As if Merrix d'Cannith would be giving them all the information, or even anything more than what he wanted them to know. For all Mikk knew, House Cannith was trying to kill Jarvath for some sneaky reason, or wanted ... oh, something. Mikk didn't like subterfuge, but ... he had to deal with it, and it would be far better to be aware of what Cannith might be up to than not.

And if they did find Jarvath and the research, Mikk might study it before returning it to Cannith!

"Has something as straightforward as Scrying has been attempted," Mikk finally asks, having mulled over whether he wants to get involved. "That's a pretty straightforward thing to try after the house. If we could get a good picture of Jarvath and something that belongs to him, I imagine I could probably track him down unless he's put in some pretty serious effort at hiding from magical divination. A bit of hair or something would be even better."

Of course, if Jarvath was dead, it wouldn't succeed, either. Though that was probably understood. Can't Scry on a dead guy.

It might take a while, but there were some stronger Divination spells, too. Especially if Jarvath, or his body, was still in Sharn.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-20, 12:15 PM
A Creation Forge. Navanir's mind begins to surge with more possibilities. If the rumors were true about Merrix, then his motives would be working towards the improvement or acquisition of more of the forges... right? She needs answers, and as she looks around the members of the group, Navanir begins to realize that she has the means to discovering them at her fingertips. But in order to do so, she will need to take a calculated risk.

Gale, open up telepathic links to the others. Not Merrix yet. I have something important to say. The psicrystal complies without too much effort, and Navanir finds herself relaying her speech to the rest of the group through him, maintaining eye contact with the Cannith baron all the while.

This is Navanir. I'm speaking to you through my psicrystal Gale. Listen to me, but don't let Merrix know that we're communicating. There is something he isn't telling us about this assignment. I've heard about Javarath's disappearance before this meeting, and it was rumored to be an inside job. If we're being set up, I think it's fair that we all have a good idea of what we're getting into before any of us says yes to Merrix's terms. She takes a moment to look around at them one more time: the terse inventor, the charming pirate, the canny gnome, the fiery woman, and the mysterious archer. Will they keep quiet, or will they spoil her plan before it can even begin?

There's a possibility it won't go our way, but I can try to use one of my powers in order to guide us to Javarath. But first, we all need to accept the job. If any of you have any hesitations or concerns, now would be the time to voice them.

Archmage1
2014-10-20, 01:08 PM
When the strange voice speaks in his head, Aerin is quite surprised, although he doesn't show that surprise to the world. He thinks, carefully, wondering if his voice would be heard. He tries casting it out of his mind, to the floating crystal.
Of course it's an inside job. Otherwise, he wouldn't be going to outsiders with little to no connection with his house, and hoping that we aren't in on the job as well.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 04:49 PM
"Most delightful, that Navanir! Of course I would expect nothing less from a scholar of her renown," Mikk thinks to himself.

Mikk leans forward toward Merrix, "Of course, that's how I would do it if I were to join," he tries to look skeptical. "Knowing House politics, both intra- and inter-, I'm sure there is more to his than you're telling us."

Mikk, waves his hands placatingly. "And that's understandable. However," Mikk tries to look stern, "we'll have much better luck if we aren't surprised by some detail that hasn't been mentioned."

3SecondCultist
2014-10-20, 07:41 PM
As Mikk begins to talk to Merrix, Navanir sighs inwardly.

Damn it, Gale. Did you relay my message properly?

Of course I did. You told them to voice their concerns.

To me, over this telepathic relay! Not to Merrix directly. If something is up and he's somehow responsible, we've just tipped him off that we know something isn't right. She leans in closer to the artificer's desk to chime in herself. Time to do some damage control. At least the gnome has the tact to be diplomatic and not go in for the direct confrontational approach.

"Sir, I'm sure what Mikk means is that there is often a tendency for great minds to overlook small details. By the Host, the number of times I've forgotten little things like my lecture notes before teaching a class is astounding. If there's anything you've missed, we all understand." She leaves out the politics for now. Mikk has already brought it up, so it's better to take another tack.

Well you're quite the little sycophant, aren't you?

Be. Quiet.

A pause, and then:

You know, Navanir, has it occurred to you that they might just have plans of their own? They're not your students or your pawns. I'm sure everything will work out.

I... I suppose you're right. We should trust them.

Going for the good ol' Diplomacy!

[roll0]

Ryuuk
2014-10-20, 09:41 PM
Jovi stays silent. He wasn't exactly used to the voices in his head, or how that little gem worked, but if this was an inside job as was claimed, then going to outsiders was the better options. Why keep it hidden though? He stops, not sure if they could hear him or not. One way or another though, he had not traveled across the entirety of Breland to decline. There was too much to gain.

He can't help but feel he missed a beat though. Trying to get him to admit what he suspects.... Once this is settled, he'd like a word with the giantess, just to understand how this crystal worked.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 09:55 PM
Mikk just barely restrained himself from rubbing his hands in glee at Navanir's follow-on to his own, rather blunt statements.

Well oiled machine! Did someone sneak a telepathic bond on the two of them? He and the giantess seemed to be thinking the exact same thing. Mikk would set 'em up, and Navanir was all ready to knock 'em down.

Besides, he had never really felt comfortable in the politics of Cannith's engineering, and he had seen glimpses that the academic world was just as politically driven. It looked like Navanir must have long since mastered the details.

Chambers
2014-10-21, 07:43 PM
Erin Orien

Erin tenses at the telepathic contact and narrows her eyes at the giant. << Stay out of my mind. >> She glares at Navanir and her fingers curl up, but she takes a deep breath and relaxes them. She turns towards Merrix. "I'll take the job. In return...some future consideration." You owe me Cannith.

RFLS
2014-10-21, 08:16 PM
Merrix listens impassively to the chatter and questions for a few minutes, and, as it dies down, quietly addresses the group. "He had dozens of friends and colleagues, many of them with the means and motive to have kidnapped him. A very small percentage of that group, however, has the means to hide him from my Scrying. I have, of course, attempted to find him several times in that manner. He is....untraceable, currrently. While I suspect this will continue to the case, I can provide you with an image of his likeness."

Frown deepening at Mikk's interjection, he addresses Navanir as she attempts to smooth things over. "He's correct. There are several things I'm not telling you. House politics are volatile right now, to say the least. Since many or all of you are thinking it: yes, I suspect a member of my own House either bought him or kidnapped him. There are very, very few people alive that could successfully hide him from me for any length of time. Three of them are standing in this room, and most of the others are members of House Cannith."

He stands up from his chair and goes to one of the windows, looking out over the city, his back turned to you and hands clasped behind him. Several seconds pass before he speaks again, and, when he does, it's slowly, as though coming to a decision. "Here's what I want: Find Jarvath. I will provide you with his likeness, his address, a list of colleagues and friends, and any supplies you might need. I will also give you a contact to use. You will not, under any circumstances, attempt to contact me. If and when you find him, you will deliver him to your contact.

In return, I can pay you twenty thousand gold pieces, or their equivalent in gems, magical items, and similar. And, of course, you will have my undying gratitude."

Archmage1
2014-10-21, 08:48 PM
Aerin, who had been sitting in his seat, looking disinterested, his agile fingers weaving a cushion, finally looks up with interest as Merrix gets to the point.
He speaks, his gaze squarely on Merrix, and his voice is sardonic.
"So, all we need to do is go up against a powerful member of House Cannith, to locate a man that was more or less hated by his coworkers, and retrieve information that he possesses? Oh, and all that without triggering another house war, or getting killed, of course? Sounds like a party, only someone forgot the rum."
As his words come to an end, he sits up, looking more serious.
"Make it thirty thousand each, and I'll see what I can do."
After a brief pause, but before anyone can respond, he continues, in that same, determined tone.
"Oh, and we keep what we find in the course of our investigation. Deal?"

Not sure which is appropriate here, so...
[roll0] bluff
[roll1] diplo
[roll2] intim(Probably not)

3SecondCultist
2014-10-21, 09:05 PM
Navanir gathers herself up slowly, until she stands and utterly towers over everyone in the room. The psychological edge is useful here, but she allows herself yet another smile. She has already instructed Gale to sever the short-lived telepathic relay. She doesn't need it anymore.

"As blunt as 'the Captain' is, he has a point. This is hardly the simplest of assignments you're saddling us with, sir. Thirty thousand may be overreaching, but I think twenty-five each is quite reasonable." She shoots Aerin a pointed look, but otherwise does not recognize him. The first rule of trying to negotiate is to always keep your attention on the mark. The streets of Stormreach taught her well. Slowly, she steps up to the edge of the desk, making sure that Merrix can hear her movements even if he isn't facing the group.

Do you think he'll go for that?

Someone like Merrix isn't surprised by changing circumstances, and I'm sure he's dealt with Aerin's type before. By cutting the increase in half, he is twice as likely to accept it.

"I assume that a man as prepared as yourself already has the necessary materials at hand?" Navanir looks around the office for any sign of the items Merrix has just listed off. If he really has tried divination magic, then a likeness and list of contacts can't be too far away.

Cardea
2014-10-21, 09:18 PM
While unfortunate that Jarvath, of all people, would be taken... it comes as no surprise to Relgaddon. He leans back in his chair, arms riding the chair's, and listens on. He throws his mind out, reaching his assistant. << Come to me, Fatigue. Windows closest to where I am. You will see cousin Merrix. >> He rises from his chair when others are done speaking, pulling out a slip of paper. A small inkpen slides out of his metal arm's thumb, and he begins writing on the paper as he approaches his cousin. He stands next to his cousin, still writing, and when finished, blows on it, and holds it out to his Merrix, not looking at him.

This is making me nervous, cousin. I know how vested you were his research, but your interest may be why they, whoever they are, have taken him. To twist your arm. What am I to do if it is family?

This Aerin makes a point, but he is boisterous in his demands. The Giantess' does not make such big demands.

I am needing clay and ashe. Enough for five furtive filchers of third power. Cost is 8000 gold for how much am needing. You know me. Efficient.

I hope you are well in all of this.

RFLS
2014-10-22, 08:04 PM
Merrix carefully reads the note a few times before folding it carefully into thirds and handing it back to his cousin. He responds almost absentmindedly to Aerin over his shoulder "Twenty four thousand, and Cannith keeps anything of academic interest you find. And yes, the list of contacts as well as his likeness is in the top right corner of my desk. I'll give them to you as you leave."

He says something in an undertone to Relgaddon as they continue to stand at the window.

Anger is apparent in his voice as he replies "Do what needs to be done, family be damned. Jarvath was family, too. I won't lose him or his research. You'll have whatever supplies you need for your homunculi."

About an inch outside the window is a faint shimmer, suggesting some sort of magical barrier.

Archmage1
2014-10-22, 08:09 PM
Once more, Aerin leads back in his chair, the chair tipping precariously back as he does so.
"Twenty seven, and Cannith gets the first chance to purchase found items, at a fair market price. After all, gold is of academic interest, and paying us, then requesting the gold would be so tempting."
His voice almost sounds disinterested in the bargaining process.

[roll0] bluff
[roll1] diplo
[roll2] intimi

WebTiefling
2014-10-22, 08:53 PM
Mikk picked up the list of contacts and the picture of Jarvath. A quick glance at Jarvath was all he needed - as he had suspected, Merrix had certainly tried some scrying. Mikk suspected there were probably still some more details that Merrix wasn't sharing, but that was always going to be the case. Merrix had passed off some basics on them in the guise of more information - things they all probably suspected anyway.

Oh well.

"Aerin, let's not haggle over a few gold pieces. I suspect we'll earn the twenty four easily, and if it seems there is something our host here has left out that proves to be a great surprise, a couple thousand more gold pieces won't cover it."

He narrows his eyes at Merrix. He certainly isn't going to be intimidating the head of House Cannith here in his own center of power, but none of them were nobodies Merrix could discard or ignore at a whim, either.

"If there is something of such great surprise that he hasn't mentioned, I'm sure he would recompense us properly as long as we handle it with the skill and circumspection he would like."

There! He could be diplomatic and speak with subtexts as well as ... well, he could use subtext.

Archmage1
2014-10-22, 09:04 PM
Aerin looks over at Mikk, disappointed. The gnome had started so well, but to ruin it now....
He sighs.
"You know, you don't really understand much about the process of bargaining, do you? I'm not really concerned about the gold. I'm more concerned about how much he is willing to pay. He is hiring the best, and if we say no, he's out of luck. He can't investigate this on his own, and he's not going to find more like me anytime soon."
He pauses for a moment, to let that sink in, before he continues, his voice sardonic once more.
"I have ethics. If I say I will do something for a price, then that's the price."

Cardea
2014-10-22, 09:34 PM
Relgaddon smiles, awkward on his face. He takes the note, storing it in a vest pocket. He writes down the the ingredients for his new prodigy, handing the note to Merrix. He peaks over at the others in the room, smiling still, before facing the window again.

5 lbs. of Clay
1 gram of ashes
5 pints of Shadow
Treatment for 5 pints of blood withdrawl

Fatigue is pulling Destiny around to window. This is fine, yes?

3SecondCultist
2014-10-22, 09:50 PM
Navanir is more than willing for Mikk to talk Aerin down. He has already proven himself to possess a good head on his... admittedly small shoulders. But she of all people knows not to judge anyone's character by their appearance.

"Twenty four sounds acceptable. And as for items of academic interest; would it be possible for me to analyze and judge for myself what might and might not be relevant to this case? You're giving us a wide mandate, and I have the feeling we're likely to stumble on a few things that have a tangential bearing, at best." As she speaks, the giantess leans subtly over the desk to listen in, her keen hearing picking up all of Merrix's words.

So. At least we know what lines he's willing to cross. What do we think of this fellow now?

I think... we should be careful. He is an exceedingly powerful man. We may be in the same intellectual bracket, but he has infinitely more resources than we may ever see in our lifetime.

Fair. So what now?

Now, we accept his offer. We've come this far.

"All of that aside, I think I'm ready to come to a decision. I'm in." Looking around the room, Navanir knows that she won't be the only one signing on today.

Chambers
2014-10-22, 10:10 PM
Erin

"The pirate speaks of ethics..." Erin says and chuckles. "Cloak and dagger and blustering negotiations aren't my business. Uncovering secrets is." She says to Merrix and the group. "When can we start?"

Ryuuk
2014-10-22, 11:53 PM
...and mine was training new breeds. He's at a lose with the talk of money. He says nothing here. He could haggle down the price for basics supplies at a shop, yes, but thousands of gold pieces with the leader of House Cannith? This was on a level that didn't feel quite real, but one he'd best get used to. His undying gratitude... That's what he was here for, and would have likely done this task on the promise of that alone.

At least his ears were still good. Intra-house conflict to such a degree seemed ludicrous. Then again, house Cannith was the Gorgon with three heads, each trying to outsmart the other two and rule. The real Gorgon died with Cyre, he'd heard once. Which is all the more reason to be here, truly

"Likewise, the more time passes, the colder the trail grows." He pauses, this may not be the best way to start, with the negotiations still in the air, but he wasn't here for the money. "I accept."

WebTiefling
2014-10-23, 02:54 PM
"Ahh, the Baynesian approach to negotiation. I tend toward the Hayek line of thinking, myself. You see, the inherent uncertainty in ..."

Mikk interrupts himself from what sounded to be the beginning of an academic treatise on the subject. He shakes his head. "Sorry, I almost forgot where I was."

Mikk nods toward Merrix. "I think we have a good start here. I'm in."

Having worked at the university and listened to numerous special discussions, one of which was on the topic of bargaining, Mikk is quite sure that he fully understands all the nuances of negotiation.

RFLS
2014-10-23, 04:58 PM
Merrix seems to relax slightly, muscles untensing a little as the statements of acceptance are made. "You can start immediately. As far as items of interest go, I was only referring to things that directly relate to Jarvath's research - we'll certainly allow you to help determine that, and I have no intention of cheating you of what's rightfully yours."

Pointing at the list of contacts in Mikk's hands, Merrix continues "That's the only copy of that list - be careful with it. On it are the names of his friends, colleagues, and enemies that we know of. they're sorted top down in order of motive, and each has a small description of who they are, address, etc. You'll almost certainly recognize many of the names there."

Merrix begins walking you to the door, where the warforged still stands. "Tiatan here will provide you with your contact's information. Any initial requests for supplies can be made with her, and further requests will be placed with your contact. Such supplies should only take a few hours, regardless of what they are. Are there any other questions?"

Archmage1
2014-10-23, 05:03 PM
Aerin sighs, quite annoyed with the rest of the group, as they could easily have commanded a far higher price.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-23, 05:29 PM
Navanir leans over Mikk's shoulder as he obtains the list, reading the list of names.

Suddenly, she finds herself somewhere else. The lacquered wood paneling and the smell of old books surround her, as she searches for a shelf that has yet to be filled. It only takes her a moment's thought to find one, filing the list of names and addresses away for future use. She peruses the document once, to see if Merrix is right and she does in fact recognize any of the figures described therein. It's only a glimpse, but it's enough.

"I don't have any further questions for you, sir. In fact, I'm quite eager to begin!" For the first time since they've been escorted inside, Navanir allows herself to open up and express herself. Chances are, this is exactly the kind of opportunity she's been waiting for. And if complications do arise, she is confident that the individuals around her will be able to help. They seem trustworthy, for the most part.

[roll0]

WebTiefling
2014-10-24, 01:34 PM
Mikk looks at the list, working to memorize it. He can start thinking about the list later. The giantess leans over his shoulder and he looks back to her, noting the look of concentration. He'll have to question her about it. He had always been an engineer at heart, and hadn't been as involved in politics as it seemed she had been. She would probably have more useful input than what he would be able to come up with on his own.

Mikk hands the papers off to Relgaddon after Navanir is done.

"I don't believe I have any more questions at the moment. Research is needed to know what questions to ask. I imagine our contact will be able to pass along any questions that we discover."

Mikk is ready to get started - plans for magical approaches to solve the problem spin through his mind and he can't wait to get started.

Archmage1
2014-10-25, 11:20 AM
Still leaning back in his chair, Aerin asks one final question, more to Mikk than anyone else.
"Anything on his family in there?"

RFLS
2014-10-25, 11:25 AM
Once more in the antechamber to Merrix's office, the warforged Tiatan begins going over the specifics with you.

"Your contact's name is Uryna Daaln. She is technically a freelance inquisitive living in the lower reaches of the city, just barely above the Cogs. She has a network of informants all her own throughout the city, allowing her access to information even we don't have, should you need it. We'd like a report of progress every day if possibly - we'd like to be sure the search is going smoothly.

If you have any requests for materials or questions on specific information, now would be the time - I know Relgaddon already has a request for some materials, if I could have that list."

Ioro Kylid - Member of House Tarkannan, loan shark. Jarvath regularly took loans from his business to fuel his gambling habit, and was in major debt.
Daask gang - No specific contact. However, Jarvath made regular use of their services when searching the lower reaches of the city for forgotten magical devices.
Lord Mayor Cathan ir'Demell - Mayor of Sharn. Social acquaintance; they tended to gamble at the same worg races/fighting pits.
Cilyr Chas - fellow professor at Morgrave University. Minor overlap and competition in studies - Cilyr studied permanent magical devices.
Ildyis Terol - fellow professor at Morgrave University. Studies the history of Dragonmarked Houses, especially House Cannith. Was in regular contact with Jarvath recently.
Omic Veror - fellow professor at Morgrave University. Studies ancient civilizations. Relationship purely social; nonacademic.

The list continues onwards, going over various social acquaintances, students, and favorite locations in the city. He was a fan of the Third-Tier Theater, he liked to eat at the Cloud Dragon, etc. The rest of the list is fairly innocuous, Tiatan explains - the most relevant contacts are at the top.

Archmage1
2014-10-25, 11:42 AM
As the group heads out, Aerin stands with a flourish, and heads out with them, glancing at the list as he went.
"No family? Is there a home address there? I assume it has been searched, correct?"

3SecondCultist
2014-10-25, 11:55 AM
As the others file out of the room, Navanir closes her eyes. She can feel the pulse of the world around her, as she summons up a surge of psychic energy in order to reach the edges of her consciousness. Out there, on that precipice, she can practically feel the entities in the void. They are endless, thoughtless, and yet know all. There is no time for belief, only a single question.

Which name will be the most helpful in finding Javarath?

She waits for an answer, but none comes. Swallowing her disappointment, she gradually returns to herself before following everyone outside. She hears Aerin asking his own question. Reality is always structured thus. We all want to know so much. Shaking off the pensive thoughts, Navanir forces herself to pay attention to the warforged attendant as he speaks.

"I'm afraid I won't be of much help with the mayor or the gangs, but I've met Professors Terol and Veror before." She doesn't mention her history with the latter. It would be more prudent to deal with that if it really became a problem later.

Ryuuk
2014-10-25, 12:52 PM
As the meeting ends, Jovi lags behind. "Baron d'Cannith, when we speak again, may terms will much more amiable. Thank you for your time." Nodding, he follows the others out.

Uryna Daaln He pauses for a moment. Well, house Cannith would have access to most anything. Just in case.

Scroll of Scent (SPC, Ranger 1)
Scroll of Marked Object (SPC, Ranger 1)

If needed, he'll pay for them.

"Even if it was searched, I'd like the chance to visit his residence. Days have passed, I doubt there's much there that hasn't been checked before, but you never know." When given the chance, he looks over the list as well.

RFLS
2014-10-27, 01:29 AM
Taking your lists in hand and briefly scanning them, the warforged replies

"His residence has indeed been searched, but you're more than welcome to start there. He lived at 1307 Dragonshead Road, over in Mithral District. We've placed a magical ward upon the door; simply speak the word "artifact" to enter.

As for family, none that are particularly close to him - his brother and father died years ago, and his mother left shortly after his birth. We believe he has an aunt living somewhere in Aundair."

RFLS
2014-10-27, 01:33 AM
As the rest of the group files out of the room, Merrix returns to the window, staring pensively through it. After a few moments, he seems to realize that Relgaddon is still in the room and turns to him, looking at him questioningly.

Archmage1
2014-10-27, 05:35 AM
Aerin looks interested at the lack of family, soon asking another question of the warforged, standing fairly close to is..
"Do you know if he has expressed any interest in seeking his mother? Does he care for his aunt?"

WebTiefling
2014-10-27, 10:51 AM
"Well, I am certainly familiar with Professor Chas's work. Met him briefly, once. I could certainly start there, but I would like to first attempt a bit of magical divination. I have a few ideas that are outside the typical sort of divination that might get some results.

"Does anyone else have some particular people on this list who they think they might have a particularly good chance of speaking to? Gambling has never been particularly attractive to me other than the calculation of odds, and I've never dealt with the Daask Gang though I've heard of them. I have some magics that can aid people with things like talking with others."

Mikk does a quick bit of calculation and then turns to the 'female' warforged.

"Tiatan, the divination I have in mind is to query the suserrations of the city itself for activities related to Jarvath's current location, but also as to what may have happened to him immediately before his disappearance. That magic takes a significant investment. With the permission of the rest of our group," he gestures to the others in the room, "I would like to request a forward of 1000 gold pieces to create the necessary scroll, or purchase the services of a caster who knows the spell."

Mikk turns to the others. "It's a spell more often used by Urban Druids, frequently referred to as Susurrus of the City. It..." Mikk considers the mixed company of people who might or might not be fully versed in magical theory. "Well, it takes a significant investment of one's own energy and so either purchasing the services of a caster or creating the spell oneself is expensive. It's a very useful spell, though - any information known by people in the city can be tapped. It might not be able to answer where Jarvath is now, but it should be able to tell us what happened right before Jarvath's disappearance - well, at least if there is anyone still in the city with that knowledge. A good bet, by my reckoning.

"We could purchase the services of a caster, but our host would probably prefer to keep knowledge of this investigation as tightly guarded as possible. I can create a scroll of the spell, but it will take a full day's effort to create. Do you all think this is a worthy avenue of investigation, or would you all prefer to follow other paths first?"

It had been a while since Mikk had been out with a group, but the old habits of including others in the decision-making process had come back. In a lab, he tended to be autocratic like most of the other top researchers. But, unlike most of them, he had learned how to work with others ... at least a little.

Archmage1
2014-10-27, 11:28 AM
Aerin listens to Mikk's questions, and, after he finishes, he smiles winningly, and starts pacing as he speaks.
"But of course, Sir Gnome. The real key to dealing with those of questionable morals is starting with the minor players, implying that we work with the big fish, and use the information on the big fish to get them to go for our hook. It's simple enough in theory, but the application of the technique is often quite difficult. I can handle this Ioro, and the Daask gang, although having support will lend more weight to my presence in their eyes. Of course, that will depend on your ability to either lie, or to keep silent. As for Magic, my knowledge of it is essentially non-existent. Perhaps while you persue your magic, the rest of us talk with some of the minor fish, after concocting a suitible reason for doing so. For the somewhat shady, implying that Ioro hired us should suffice, provided you can pull it off. For the boring ones, implying concern for his well being might work."

Cardea
2014-10-27, 11:44 AM
"Fatigue will be here in two minutes, Merrix. I am simply waiting for him to arrive." Relgaddon says, stepping away from the window, dragging one chair closer to his cousin's desk. "Why are you calling me for this? You know what I do for family is not this. I do simple. I move things. This is not so simple. So why me?

Chambers
2014-10-27, 04:53 PM
Erin Orien

"Thank you Tiatan." Erin says to the warforged after leaving Merrix's office. She seems more at ease speaking with the warforged than with those around her. "I have one request. I'm not really equipped for travel. I wasn't sure that this was going to require extensive travel but if it does..." She says and smiles. "I'd prefer to have a few essentials on hand. I could go gather it all myself but it seems we're pressed for time."

Once the list is passed around she glances at it and the smile drains off her face. She stares at the first name on the list and sighs. "I know Ioro Kylid." She says, keeping her eyes on the list to avoid having to look at anyone's face. "I can talk to him. Alone would normally be best, but given the circumstances..." She raises her head and looks over the group. Her eyes quickly pass over Navanir and Aerin and she stops at Jovis. "Maybe you'd like to come with me?"

Erin is referring to the various minor magic tools for camping from the MIC. Magic bedroll, instant campfire, etc. Don't remember their exact names at the moment. She'll be satisified with any amount of magical gear (including none), but would at least like a fully stocked exploration pack.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-27, 05:18 PM
Navanir stands in the crowd, watching Erin as she looks to Jovis. Her expression is studiously blank, as wheels in her mind begin to turn once more.

"We seem divided already. There is a desire for more divination, to look for this ‘Ioro Kylid’, to seek out Professor Chas. I’ve already asked the universe for some guidance, but it doesn’t seem particularly helpful today."

"In light of this, might I offer a suggestion? It could be wise for us to split up, in order to cover more ground quickly. I can take whoever would like to tag along to Morgrave University, in order to pay the academics on this list a little visit. As a published fellow of the institution, I have some clout there that will work in our favor." She speaks without pride, simply stating the fact of the matter. If it will help further her goal, then it ought to be considered, no matter the cost.

Not to mention that the less intellectually inclined among them will be less than welcome at the university, and a smaller group might make certain professors feel less threatened.

Looks like someone wants to talk to lover-boy one on one!

By the Sovereign - she breaks off contact with Gale. She shouldn't take her frustrations out on the psicrystal, no matter how much his needling irks her.

Archmage1
2014-10-27, 06:27 PM
Aerin smiles cheerfully at Navinir, and bows gracefully.
"Of course, dear Lady. It would be rude to send a lady off on her own, unescorted. I would be delighted to keep you company. I've always wondered what a university was like. The last one I visited, while profitable, wasn't really in a condition to teach after I left."

Ryuuk
2014-10-27, 07:15 PM
Artifact... fitting He nods at the warforged, and shows little sentiment beyond that. Looking over the list, he can't help but wonder what he was hopping to find. He was out of his element. He had maybe one personal contact, if it could be called that, but something like this disappearance likely wouldn't be his field. Academics, the mayor, a gang... Tarkannan? Surely not... He hands the list back to whoever cared to see it once done.

Probably best to bring him up though. The gnome's spell sounded similar, and if this wasn't Alain's domain, the warden may know of an 'urban druid' within Sharn. It was a step forward, at least. Who could it be phrased though.

"Wha-? Ah, to speak with Ioro..? Yes, of course." People, right. This would be a group effort. "I may be of more use there then at a university..."

WebTiefling
2014-10-28, 01:52 PM
Mikk's eyes shine at Aerin's suggestion of a venture into the lower reaches to question some gangs. He realizes he really has missed the adventuring.

"Well, if you give me a few minutes to stop by my house, I could bring a big, hulking Warforged Charger to help us intimidate them a little. And I have some magic that should boost your, likely already formidable, skills of persuasion. I can stay out of your way otherwise.

"Afterward, I'll head to the University to talk with Professor Chas, and perhaps leave you to track down any clues brought up with your questions."

Mikk shrugs after thinking for a bit. "After that ... I guess it'll be a late night of crafting again, if our host is amenable to the advance of the funds."

Ryuuk
2014-10-28, 01:59 PM
If the group was going to split, at least temporarily... He pauses, moving a hand to the pendant around his neck. "Erin, if you could give me a minute before we go though." Nodding he turns to the gnome. "Mikk, that spell you are looking for, I can't call upon the city, but I can call upon an old Druid, a great Warden of the Woods from long ago. It is said he traveled the world, and is willing to 'share its truths'. I'm not sure how much he knows of Sharn, but odds are few would know of him outside of the Eldeen Reach, or tie him to the client."

"He lets me ask him four question before he turns his back. It may be wise to call him now, just so that we are all aware of what he may know."

Archmage1
2014-10-28, 02:01 PM
Aerin looks slightly disgruntled as Mikk siezes his initial statement, before Navinir made her offer, but he swiftly thinks of a way to keep everyone happy.
"Of course, Mikk, however, in my experience, such things should be handled after dark. For some reason, gangs always seem to be more active in the night, so it would be better to meet somewhere after dark. Perhaps you craft during the day, instead?"
He flashes Navinir another winning smile.
"As an extra benefit, Navinir won't need to go without an escort, which would be a crime!"

WebTiefling
2014-10-28, 03:25 PM
Mikk nods his head to Aerin, acceding to his greater knowledge of gang practices and activities.

"Well, thought out, Aerin. I would then like to accompany you both at least to the University, since I need to go there to seek Professor Cilyr Chas. While it seems unlikely that he has anything to do with our quarry's disappearance, he'll likely be able to shed some light on anything Jarvath might have been doing outside of Cannith's observation."

3SecondCultist
2014-10-28, 05:34 PM
Because going without you would be such a crime, Captain. Navanir tries her best to be polite, but the man is exactly the kind of company she's worried about when trying to play the intellectual. Mikk might prove more useful, on the other hand. She does appreciate Aerin stepping in on her behalf, though, and flashes him a grateful smile for it. He really isn't as bad as all that - she admits to herself that she has allowed herself a bit of bias against him due to his introduction earlier.

"So, I assume we're splitting into two groups, then? One to visit Morgrave University, and the other to visit this 'Alain' to ask him to inquire after Javarath?" She looks at the rest of the group. Relgaddon hasn't weighed in yet, and she isn't rightfully sure where the gruff artificer will stand in all of this.

Archmage1
2014-10-28, 05:38 PM
Seeing Navanir smile, Aerin does a slight bow, and a small flourish, letting her know that he saw.
"That certainly seems to be the prevailing wind, Navanir. Since information is the goal at the moment, splitting the crew lets us gather much more of it."
He smiles.
"Besides, it's much more interesting this way."

RFLS
2014-10-28, 05:58 PM
Antechamber

"As far as we know, he's never sought his mother, and has no real interest in doing so. As for the aunt, it's been years since they've had any particular contact - neither of them ever really cared for each other, apparently."

Turning to Mikk, she continues "We'll have the necessary materials for your spell delivered to your contact later today - word will be sent to her as soon as you leave. And of course, if you need to leave the city, supplies for that will be arranged immediately. I believe we've already begun setting aside food and general equipment for that eventuality."

She hands Mikk a piece of paper. "On that paper is Daaln's address, whenever you want to contact her. Are there further questions?"

Merrix's Office

Merrix looks at Relgaddon a few moments longer before replying slowly.

"You're....the best of bad choices, from my point of view. This group I've assembled is some of the best and brightest Khorvaire has to offer, but they're going to be volatile, to say the least. None of them, Mikk in particular, have Cannith's best interests at heart. On the other hand, I can't be sure who in House Cannith has Cannith's best interests at heart.

So, I need someone distant from the House. Someone I know has no real political ties, but feels loyalty to us. I need someone intelligent, with access to formidable resources outside House control. And finally, someone as or more capable than of riding heard on that lot out in the antechamber.

Will you do this for me, cousin?"

Ryuuk
2014-10-28, 09:12 PM
"At least two groups, but Alain is not... just give me a moment..."

He looks around for a place with some quiet, preferably out of the way. Would it be harder here then in the fields? Maybe, but if the warden's tales were true, it shouldn't matter. It was still part of this world, therefore he walked it to make the original set.

He takes a sit, a deep breath and loosens the amulet around his neck. Hunching over, he rummages through a pocket on his cloak until he finds a pair of gold tinted lenses. He puts them on, and extends his hands, palms open. Once finished, the amulet hangs at the height of his belt, his hands are held over both, and his head loomed over them both. Earth and sea, the dragon between, sky and sun, the dragon above. You who know them more then most, please grant me your guidance... The lenses's tint brightens, the marking on his gloves swirl, the amulet begins to sway like the tides. Good. He closes his eyes.

"Jarvath d'Cannith, is he still alive?" The big one perhaps. If he answered, then maybe his domain extended to...

Yes

This might bear fruit. "Is Jarvath d'Cannith still in Sharn?"

Yes

Ok, how to... "Is he within... a quarter mile of... the Cannith enclave?" Should have thought that one through. He can't help but cringe.

No

He shakes his head. Not a good question. He didn't know enough about Sharn. This meant he wasn't in the inner area, maybe, but this city was much taller then that. Something better. "Is Jarvath being held against his will?"

Yes

He takes a deep breath and open his eyes. As he does so, the items grow duller, their color slightly fading. Standing back up, he takes the lenses off and nods, placing them back in his cloak. "He's somewhere in Sharn, being held against his will. At least, according to the warden. If he knows, then the susurrus should know even more. I'm not sure for how long this would be accurate though."

WebTiefling
2014-10-28, 09:17 PM
Mikk takes the paper from her hand and checks the address of this "Daaln" who is to be their contact.

"Tiatan, you are as efficient as you are delightful. My thanks, indeed."

Mikk passes the paper off to the others before turning back to Tiatan.

"The primary item will be a Potion of Burial Blessing, then two hundred gold pieces worth of incense, a scroll of Commune with Lesser Spirit, though truly any divination scroll of the second level would work, a hundred gold pieces of ...."

Mikk happily rambled off the materials he would need. Altogether the materials and the magic items would come to 945 gold pieces.

As Jovi finishes, Mikk realizes what is happening and spins around. "What, who, oh .... Oh, well, I missed it. Um ... " He racks his brain to recall what he had barely registered while talking with Tiatan. "Let's see - he is alive. He's being held against his will, and he's in Sharn. I think that was it, er, wait, and he's not within a quarter mile of the Cannith enclave. Good questions. And it does," Mikk looks at Tiatan and then shrugs, "relieve me that this isn't some weird Cannith machination that has Jarvath stashed right here while we go traipsing about setting off whatever schemes might be set up.

"Not within a quarter mile of the Cannith enclave, eh?" Mikk strokes his beard.

"That really rules out the entire Dragon Towers, indeed the just about entire Guildhall District. Jarvath might be way up above, or maybe really, really deep down, but that would be ... well, that would be pretty extreme. Not impossible, but pretty extreme.

"That's definitely a great start. I'll get ten questions to ask the city. Please, everyone should put some thought into what those questions should be, based on what we learn during the rest of our research."

Cardea
2014-10-29, 10:31 AM
Relgaddon considers for a moment. He furrows his brow, and pulls his haversack forward, pulling from it a small wood box. He pulls the lid open, and pulls out a small cookie, decorated with an orange crust. He stands up, and puts it on Merrix' desk, before pulling out one for himself, and putting the box away. "You know what am missing? Am missing Uncle Starrin. He was nice. Big man. Wishing to be like him. Still do. Things being simpler." He bits into the cookie, chewing fast, swallowing hard. "Maybe someday we are all family again. In meantime, I do this for you. What was it they saying when he was alive? Blood as strong as iron. You have my word, Merrix." He walks back out of the room, signalling Fatigue. << Correction. Front entrance. Ask Kanla to come out and talk with Tiatan about restocking kitchen. >> Exiting the doors, he faces the party, approaching.

"Ship will be here in minute. Hello, Tiatan. Is good seeing you." He says, pulling out a piece of paper from earlier, ripping off his questions to Merrix, and handing the list to her. "The family grows. Will also be needing spices and minerals for infusions. And rabbit fur. Many rabbit furs. Kitchen needs restocking. Fatigue, do you remember fatigue? He is asking Kanla to speak with you about it."

Its occurred to me that I have yet to get you a fully itemized list of my Airship costs. There is a kitchen with one cook and an invisible servant, and the cook is the one I'm referring to.

3SecondCultist
2014-10-29, 11:08 AM
So, Javarath is still alive. Good. Being held against his will, less good. And he is somewhere in Sharn, but not within a quarter mile of where they're standing. Worse still. In the years she's been in the city, she has rarely been beyond the cloistered libraries of Morgrave, and even then barely beyond the towers side of things. She is largely out of her depth in this kind of urban jungle. The streets of Stormreach are better suited to her wanderings. Immediately, she listens to Mikk and begins to form a new set of questions. She can continue her own divinations. But given the results just now, it might be more prudent to wait until she has more to go on.

"Ten questions, hm? I'll be sure to keep that in mind." She nods to the gnome, and to Tiatan. She has nothing left to ask the warforged at the moment, and is willing to get underway.

As Relgaddon re-enters the room, Navanir gives him a curt nod. People like him appreciate blunt instruments above all else, so that is what she will be in his presence.

"So, you've got a kitchen on board your ship? I look forward to sampling the food you serve at your table!" She isn't lying. It has admittedly been a while since she last ate, and her particular size lends itself well to a hearty appetite.

Archmage1
2014-10-29, 11:21 AM
Aerin looks unhappy when Jovi reveals the information he gathered.
"That's... unfortunate. Assuming the kidnappers weren't idiots, that makes finding him much harder. It saves us time, but it does make things harder. Hopefully, it is the responsibility of one of these names on the list, not an entirely new player. A new player would make things difficult, although someone must have mentioned what he was working on, unless this was entirely random. I'd imagine it's difficult to trace someone who was kidnapped at random."

After Relgaddon walks up, Aerin listens, looking sad.
"Sounds like you have quite the airship then. If I'd had an airship... but I didn't, and now the Lady is gone."

WebTiefling
2014-10-29, 11:43 AM
Mikk rolls around some potential questions to ask the Susurrus spell. As Relgaddon appears, Mikk brightens. Another Artificer!

"Relgaddon, Jovi did a bit of divination right on the spot and we already have some starting information."

Mikk catches Relgaddon up on the questions and answers.

"We're planning on splitting up a little to begin asking questions, and then we'll take what we've learned to do some more divination. Susurrus of the City will give us 9 questions based on the knowledge of people in Sharn, so even if they have Jarvath himself shielded, we should still get some information.

"I'm going to start working on the scroll tonight after some of the questions have been asked. Cannith is advancing the materials for the scroll creation."

Cardea
2014-10-29, 11:51 AM
"Yes. Is serviceable. Kanla makes long journey into pleasantness." Relgaddon says, standing among them again. He turns his gaze to Aerin, this time out of sympathy. "I make Shot of Destiny after losing Weaving Luck. Taking time. But is good ship for what she does. Is good to mourn, but better to move on. You get new ship one day." He takes in the information from Mikk, mulling it over. He didn't trust that spell, but it was always honest. He shakes his head, however, looking at the Gnome. "I will take who needs to go where. In few days time, I am having more homunculi. Will help keep us in touch. But you making scroll, Mikk? No. Is no good. You give me materials, I set Fatigue to do for us. If he was child, he would growing fat from all the nothing he does."

Archmage1
2014-10-29, 11:56 AM
Aerin shakes his head.
"Losing a ship is never something that should be taken lightly. Especially when it happened less than a day ago."

RFLS
2014-11-02, 02:26 PM
Merrix's Antechamber (and preceding rooms)

The six of you continue speaking as you proceed through the building towards the exit, some offering more in the way of introductions, others remaining silent. At last, you reach the final door, leading to a small, terraced balcony. The balcony is finely worked stone, as is the stone railing around it, with a small half-bridge protruding from an opening in the railing. And, arriving at the end of the half-bridge, is the Shot of Destiny. Smaller than most airships, it nevertheless is a work of exquisite craftsmanship, attesting to Relgaddon's skill. It has an odd configuration, with the spars protruding in an X pattern rather than the familiar cross.

The Shot of Destiny

The six of you board the airship, spreading out across the deck as you see fit. Relgaddon goes the helm and begins making ready to move to the University District. Behind you spreads the upper reaches of the city, homes of the wealthy and powerful, and above you floats the Skyway. Below you...is Sharn, the aptly-named City of Towers. It spreads out beneath you, spires, towers, domes and bridges all jostled together and competing for space.

The Shot of Destiny takes off, sailing gracefully through the air. The University lies not far off, only slightly below Merrix's offices. It's nestled between the Ivy Towers, Denivas, Seventh Tower, and Platinate.

The ship slowly descends towards the University, crossing over the towers of the city in a graceful arc. As you approach, Relgaddon maneuvers you about the five towers that compose Morgrave University, and brings you to the Commons - an expanse of stone pathways and pleasant gardens. Various carts dot the area, each offering food or goods of some kind. Professors and students alike stand about the area discussing among themselves their various topics and interests. All in all, it's a peaceful impression of a quiet, amiable center of learning - on the exterior, that is.

Archmage1
2014-11-02, 03:25 PM
Aerin admires the Shot of Destiny as he swings adroitly on board.
"She's a fine ship. Not as fine as my Lady was, but still, a fine ship."
While they fly over the city, Aerin looks over the city, admiring the view(And airing out his clothing a bit). After arriving at the university, he gets off the ship, and looks around.
"Seems a lot like the last one I visited, at least, at first."
Smiling at Navanir, he gestures to her.
"And which way is your desire? Or shall we simply wander?"

3SecondCultist
2014-11-02, 08:51 PM
As she stares out over the gunwale, Navanir is struck - as always - by the endless expanse of Sharn. The pinnacle of Khorvaire's civilization never ceases to amaze her, in either sight or sound. How many stones, how many hours must have gone into building such a place? And yet all the cities in the known world will not satisfy her thirst.

I've got to say, the Shot of Destiny is aptly named. He must be a great mind, this Relgaddon.

Hmm. Navanir is barely listening to Gale's musings. Her attention is focused on the incoming towers and miniarets of Morgrave University. As the ship begins to descend into the Commons, Navanir looks out for any familiar faces in the crowd below. Best to hit the ground running. She didn't mention this to the rest of the crew, but she knows that the circumstances in which Javarath is now ensconced are not conducive to laying about. Time is very much of the essence.

"Hold on a moment, sweet Aerin. Let's see if we can come up with a few shortcuts..."

Now, I'm using Navanir's awful Spot check in conjunction with yet another Knowledge (Local) check. Also, since I'm bound to level, I may as well burn 2 of my action points in order to add 2d6 to the Spot roll.

Spot: [roll0] with [roll1]
Knowledge (Local): [roll2]

Welp. I guess those are 2 action points I'm never seeing again. On the other hand... natural 20! Woooooo! :smalltongue:

Archmage1
2014-11-03, 08:26 AM
Aerin, still looking around the university grounds, looks back at Navinir, and smiles once more.
"But of course, dear Navanir."

This place... so many people, moving about so fast, all with a purpose, but their own purpose. It seems interesting. Although, while a raid here might be highly profitable, the risk involved... you would need enough power to take out Sharn, and that... would be difficult. And very costly. For a start, you would need airships, so you could move accurately, and you would maps, and insiders, to create distractions. Torching a city to rob a university... that raises the collateral damage far too high, for me, but for others... But, then, security here isn't my concern. All I need to do is find one man, and then, I can get a ship once more. At least the company is tolerable. If Javarath was kidnapped, I don't think that these professors will know much, but they might have useful information.

WebTiefling
2014-11-03, 04:28 PM
Mikk followed along with the others onto the ship, and immediately goes over to examine the binding rings.

"Relgaddon, it's a beautiful ship indeed. I've never delved into the whole elemental binding world, but I'm passingly familiar with it and this is excellent work! I look forward to seeing your work on the Susurrus scroll as well."

After checking it out for a few minutes, he mounts his tiger and proceeds to the others who are going to the University, the large cat bringing him up closer to eye level.

"Well if this goes well, we should be able to get some good information, or cross off some dead ends. Either way, this will be useful. Um ... I'll leave you guys to do your own discussions since I don't know them personally, but I'll follow along with you. Before you all go to talk with them, I have a bit of magic that should help. It will wear off after a minute, but first impressions are the most important."

Cardea
2014-11-03, 07:02 PM
Relgaddon turns to Mikk, then stares ahead, speaking. "Binding Elemental not so bad. Is consuming of time. Am lucky," he says, slamming the floor with his metal fist. "Am able to reach same fire who fueled Weaving Luck. So process is not made of bondage, but of partnership."

When they pull into the University, he scowls at the place, shaking his head. He turns to Mikk again. "Will have Fatigue see to my designs. Having it soon." He addresses everyone else. "When we are done with this shark, we will return. Find as many of these cowards as you can, and hunt information out from them." He heads under the deck as everyone who is departing departs, and begins instructing Fatigue on what to do. He hands the gems and opens ink vials and lays down the parchment for the little moving figurine. He kisses it on the head softly, and then shuts the door behind him. He pulls cookies from his bag, and eats them softly as he rises up from below deck, ready to go to their next destination.

RFLS
2014-11-07, 01:24 PM
Morgrave University

Looking out across the sea of faces, Navanir spots a few familiar ones among the crowd - former classmates, mostly, along with the occasional professor. Most importantly, though, she spots the perhaps overly familiar face of Professor Veror, engaged in what looks like a lively conversation with two students. The other professors are most likely in the Great Hall of Aureon situated on the northern edge of the Commons, directly across from you, while Larrian himself is most likely in his office in Lareth Hall, the tower to your right.

The three of you descend from the landing area, drawing more than a few odd looks - a gnome astride a tiger, a rather large woman, and someone who looks decidedly non-academic seem a little out of place here, though Navanir is given the occasional nod from a passing acquaintance.

Shot of Destiny

Aboard the Shot of Destiny, the remaining members of your group gather on the deck, attempting to decide how to proceed. While the list given to you has named Ioro Kylid, it's surprisingly scant on information - he's a member of House Tarkanan, he's a well-off loan shark, and he resides somewhere in the Lower Tavick's Landing Dragonseyes district. Little of his specific whereabouts seem to be known to House Cannith. He apparently makes himself hard to find, instead working through a series of bars and third parties to make his loans (and collect on them).

Chambers
2014-11-09, 05:35 PM
Erin Orien

"Golden Serpent." Erin says to Relgaddon once they're back in the air. She leans a little on the railing watching the streets and people swoop by. "He'll be there. Whether he'll be pleased to see all of us is another matter." She says and turns to face them.

"House Tarkanan and I..." She says and pauses as she searches for the right words. "We have an understanding. That doesn't mean we can go barging in and start making demands." She says and raises an eyebrow. "What it does mean is that we've got a foot in the door without having to smash it down first." She waves her hand back towards Morgrave. "The privateer is gone, so that should make things easier."

"When we're inside, let him see me first. Men in his position get nervous when strangers suddenly approach."

WebTiefling
2014-11-10, 04:54 PM
"Well, Navanir, I know my way to the engineering wing and the dissertation halls, but I'm not familiar with the offices area. Lead the way!"

Mikk nods grandly at everyone whose eye he catches staring at him and his tiger. He tips his hat to several Gnomes along the way, "Good day." It was a lesson he was still learning, but recognition and prominence were nearly as important as accomplishment in many circles.

As they go along, Mikk taps himself with a small wand-like magic item, and tries to remember anything he has heard about the man he is going to be talking with. He had met Cilyr Chas very briefly - hardly more than an introduction - and Mikk was familiar with the name because of his own work on permanent magic items.

Was there anything that might have made Merrix d'Cannith suspicious of Professor Cilyr Chas? Has Prof. Chas been up to anything unusual lately?

[roll0]

Ryuuk
2014-11-11, 07:14 PM
So this is how you see the world... No wonder. Jovis takes on the view as they approach and depart from the university. Was Making anything like this? Not quite as tall, surely, but... In his mind at least, it was much cleaner, though he wondered if he could really trust such memories. Enough, task at hand.

"Very well, I'll follow your lead." Quite a few things were gnawing at the back of his mind though. House Tarkanan... Like the villain of the War of the Mark? The one who led the aberrant ones? He could not have left any descendants, could he? But if not, then what kind of group would name themselves after such a man? Mostly though, if they are anything like their namesake, why would an Orien fraternize with them? None of the others seemed to raise question or objection though.

Better to clear these before stepping into the Golden Serpent. Play the fool here instead of out there. "Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is House Tarkanan? The name doesn't bring any good to mind."

Chambers
2014-11-11, 07:36 PM
Erin Orien

"They are a House of Dragonmarked peoples. Unlike the other Houses, Tarkanan carries no privileged bloodline or aristocracy. Whomever qualifies to join is extended the invitation, regardless of birth or status." Erin says as she tries to judge whether the huntsmaster is being facetious or truly doesn't know. No matter. If he doesn't, he'll find out soon enough.

She frowns and taps her fingers on the railing, draws in her shaw closer against the wind. "All marked members of the House carry what others call aberrant dragonmarks." She says. "I would advise against using that term in their presence. They have a reputation, it's true, and it's not entirely undeserved..." She says and shrugs. "But the 12 Houses aren't without their bad blood either. They're just better at hiding the stains." She says with a pause. "And the bodies. Like our missing researcher..."

3SecondCultist
2014-11-14, 08:44 PM
"So, he is here then." Navanir stops herself as she realizes that she's muttering audibly under her breath. Had anyone overheard her? Well, it wouldn't matter for much longer.

Moving through the crowd, Navanir approaches Veror slowly. Although she hasn't left Morgrave, she has done her best to avoid him after the last time they spoke. He looks... good. Of course, he's flirting with his students. How unprofessional of him. She swallows her distaste. Better that a potential suspect - no matter how unlikely - be off his guard, and not get beneath her skin.

"Omic! It's good to see you again, old friend." She speaks loud enough for everyone around to hear, and yet lingers lightly on the word 'friend'. He will understand the meaning, even if nobody else does. Adopting an even smile, she heads over to the professor. When standing next to Mikk, she made sure to stoop as a sign of respect. Not so much here. The unsaid will be her weapons here.

Archmage1
2014-11-14, 09:07 PM
Seeing that Mikk and Navanir know the way, Aerin follows them, looking at all of the strange glances people were sending towards Mikk and himself. Suspecting that they would be more at ease if they had an easy way to categorize him, he enhances his swagger, the motions making it clear that he had spent a lot of time on the ship.

WebTiefling
2014-11-17, 10:15 AM
Mikk waits for a moment to interject, "Well, I need to get going. It was a pleasure to see you Ms. Navanir, I hope to see you again." Mikk gives a nod to the man Navanir greated. "Professor."

It was time for him to take off. But first ...

"Master Aerin, a moment?"

He guides the tiger behind Navanir, allowing her to speak with her target and putting her body between himself and the professor. "Master Aerin, would you please tell me about your shipping schedule?" Mikk says this loudly enough that people could hear him clearly.

Mikk pulls out a wand-like device and reaches out a hand to touch Navanir's clothes, quietly triggering the item with the necessary nonsensical command phrase. The magic would help her efforts at Diplomacy with her target. He considered a moment as Aerin talked, and triggered it again, giving her a bit of help in dissimulating, should the need arise.

"Well, thank you very much Master Aerin, I might have a couple orders to place with you." Mikk lowers his voice to a whisper, "Ok, that should help her for a minute or two. I'll try to reconnect with you two after I talk with Professor Chas. How about you? Would you care for some glibness of tongue or something for a minute?"

Mikk raises his eyebrows with an eager grin. He's never been required to do any of this covert sort of behavior, and is enjoying it immensely.

Wieldskill: adds +5 to a skill for 1 minute. Buffed Navanir's Bluff and Diplomacy. Also buffed any skill Aerin wants.

Archmage1
2014-11-17, 10:30 AM
My shipping schedule? That seems a rather... odd question. But perhaps he has something else in mind. A cover?
While he was surprised by Mikk's question, Aerin does not show it.
"But of course. I can accommodate most schedules, however, like all shipping concerns, they are subject to the vagaries of the wind and sea. Now, that makes things more difficult to guess, but if you are willing to pay a rather high premium, we can hire a wizard to provide wind to the sails, ensuring a fast passage. Really, the question isn't what the schedule is, but how much you are willing to pay to see your item delivered. The more gold, the faster the delivery time."
As he speaks, he notices Mikk's usage of the wand, but says nothing. At Mikk's offer, he feels slightly insulted, but he simply shakes his head.

Cardea
2014-11-17, 11:08 AM
"House Tarka an also involved in Dragonmark war," Relgaddon says, a flat look of disgust on his face. He loads his Armbow, and adjusts it's seating in its holster. "When houses form up to taking of Aberrant marks, it was House Tarkanan and their Earthshaker who protect and make army to defend. Many dying on both sides. Earthshaker falls, Houses take his fortress and turn into city, and my House profits. Am being cautious. Aberranting marks are chaotic and wildlike. What is it you two can do if stay is inhospitable?"

WebTiefling
2014-11-17, 11:38 AM
Mikk waves a gay farewell to Aerin and leans forward on the beast, urging it forward toward the most likely area to find Professor Cilyr Chas - the labs and workshops. Hopefully he wasn't teaching a class and would be available.

He had to ask directions a few times, but eventually is directed toward Chas's location, at least as far as the student had known. Pausing outside the door he dismounted and used the bulk of his tiger to shield his actions. He knew he wasn't naturally gifted in the cunning politics and subterfuge that seemed to be breathed like air by so many others, but there was absolutely nothing that some proper magical engineering couldn't overcome!

Giving the tiger's necka quick scratching, Mikk knocked on the doorway. "Professor Chas? My name is Mikk Desivv, I wonder if you have a minute?"

Wieldskill (lasts 1 minute) and Skill Enhancement, lasts 100 minutes. Buffing both Bluff and Diplomacy.

Adds 5 + 7 to those skills. After 1 minute, the +5 ends and only the +7 is left.

Chambers
2014-11-17, 11:39 AM
Erin Orien

The young woman smiles and a wisp of smoke floats from her nostrils. "I breathe fire and ice..." She says. "Among other talents. Speaking of..." She says and walks over to her companions and raises a hand glowing with energy. "This will ward you from my breath, and keep you warm."

endure exposure for whomever wants it. On my phone, I'll do text mark up later.

Ryuuk
2014-11-18, 01:37 PM
Jovis nods. "That's the Tarkanan I knew of. I never really studied it, just got heard the stories of that war as a child. To think the bearers of those marks are still numerous enough to form a House... I suppose they were just stories."

He accepts the touch, hoping not to have to test its properties. "Inhospitable... I learned a few tricks in the Reaches that might slow things down. If it gets violent, well, I fight back, basic magic if they take the bow."

Cardea
2014-11-18, 07:16 PM
"All stories true, one way or different way." Relgaddon stares at the offered hand, and grasps it with his metallic one, hesitantly. He shudders as the magic takes hold of him. He points to his arm and his armbow. "Two wands. One for assisting us. One for giving me a weapon in inhospitality."

RFLS
2014-11-19, 04:51 AM
Commons

Omic turns slightly, a series of expressions flashing across his face before settling in one of delight at seeing his "old friend" once more. "Navanir! Excellent to see you again, it's been far too long. Tell me, what have you been up to, and who are these extraordinarily colorful gentlemen?"

He's fairly uncomfortable with Navanir, above and beyond what would be expected for their history.

Outside Chas' Office

A few seconds pass after Mikk calls out; some muffled shuffling of papers and closing of books can be heard before a rather quavery voice calls out.

"Come in, come in! I've no idea who you are, though, so you'll have to forgive me if we've met!"

The Shot of Destiny

As the group aboard the ship continues to discuss among themselves, the Shot of Destiny continues to descend through the city, passing by towers and bridges on its way to Tavick's Landing. Once there, you dock at one of the higher towers, out of the way of most of the area's hustle and bustle.

I figured I'd put you somewhere you could go about your business - whether that's continuing to talk, wandering about, heading straight for Ioro, or something else I haven't thought of.

3SecondCultist
2014-11-19, 10:28 AM
Navanir returns the delighted expression, picking up on Veror's discomfort. "These gentlemen are - " She looks around, noticing that Mikk has already left. "Sorry, this gentleman is Aerin Seafarer, one of the canniest sailors this side of the Mournland." Although she isn't sure exactly to what extent that is true, she's willing to drop a little white lie now and then.

So what's the plan, then? Are we going to interrogate him?

No, I think perhaps more subtlety might be in order. Let's wind him up, see if we can agitate him without revealing our own motives.

"As for myself, well a little bit more research, and then I'm off to study the lost continent. It's like we used to talk about, you remember?" Twirling a strand of her golden hair, Navanir leans in slightly, breaching Omic's personal bubble in the process. She lets her smile grow warmer, more intimate. Perhaps it's the thought of him with his students that drives her to this particular angle. But it will certainly put him off his game.

"You know, I've been meaning to speak with you for a while, actually. I have a proposition for a man of your... talents."

And here's a Bluff roll, using another Action Point to add 1d6.

Bluff: [roll0] and [roll1]

Archmage1
2014-11-19, 10:33 AM
At his introduction, Aerin bows, gracefully doffing his hat.
"Captain Aerin Seafarer, here on the invitation of the lovely Navanir. I'd always wanted to see a university, and this seemed like a fine chance."

Knowing the ways of conversation, he controls his facial expressions and stance, trying to help support her conversational gambits.

Aerin is just going to keep on offering Aid Other for Navanir, boosting her speech skills by 2.(Taking 10 is amazing. If not, his skills are high enough to succeed on a 1

WebTiefling
2014-11-19, 02:47 PM
Outside Chas' Office

A few seconds pass after Mikk calls out; some muffled shuffling of papers and closing of books can be heard before a rather quavery voice calls out.

"Come in, come in! I've no idea who you are, though, so you'll have to forgive me if we've met!"

"I wouldn't expect you to - I've listened to several of your lectures and read virtually all your papers. I've worked as an Artificer for quite a few years now, specializing in creating permanent magical items as well, and your work has been instrumental in a great deal of the production I and others have worked on."

Mikk, worked his way around to see Professor Chas as he was talking. He reached out his hand to shake.

"I've heard of some work that an acquaintance was doing, but I can't seem to track him down. I heard that Jarvath was making some discoveries in the same areas I've been working in, and I have a few ideas he might like and perhaps he might have some insights on what I'm doing."

Mikk shrugs in regret.

"But, he's off doing something, I'm sure. I heard that he might have been collaborating with you and you might know where to find him."
Diplomacy: [roll0]

Mikk hasn't lied, but Bluff, just in case: [roll1]

RFLS
2014-11-19, 05:06 PM
The Commons

Navanir returns the delighted expression, picking up on Veror's discomfort. "These gentlemen are - " She looks around, noticing that Mikk has already left. "Sorry, this gentleman is Aerin Seafarer, one of the canniest sailors this side of the Mournland." Although she isn't sure exactly to what extent that is true, she's willing to drop a little white lie now and then.

So what's the plan, then? Are we going to interrogate him?

No, I think perhaps more subtlety might be in order. Let's wind him up, see if we can agitate him without revealing our own motives.

"As for myself, well a little bit more research, and then I'm off to study the lost continent. It's like we used to talk about, you remember?" Twirling a strand of her golden hair, Navanir leans in slightly, breaching Omic's personal bubble in the process. She lets her smile grow warmer, more intimate. Perhaps it's the thought of him with his students that drives her to this particular angle. But it will certainly put him off his game.

"You know, I've been meaning to speak with you for a while, actually. I have a proposition for a man of your... talents."

And here's a Bluff roll, using another Action Point to add 1d6.

Bluff: [roll0] and [roll1]

"Hmm....a proposition, you say. You know, I was just thinking about you the other day; it's a pity you're not around nearly as much as you used to be. Perhaps we could discuss your proposition over dinner? I know a lovely little diner not far from here; it's got an excellent view of the city."

He hasn't so much been thinking of you as taking the opportunity to hit on you. From your experience, that' pretty much par for the course for him.

Chas' Office

"I wouldn't expect you to - I've listened to several of your lectures and read virtually all your papers. I've worked as an Artificer for quite a few years now, specializing in creating permanent magical items as well, and your work has been instrumental in a great deal of the production I and others have worked on."

Mikk, worked his way around to see Professor Chas as he was talking. He reached out his hand to shake.

"I've heard of some work that an acquaintance was doing, but I can't seem to track him down. I heard that Jarvath was making some discoveries in the same areas I've been working in, and I have a few ideas he might like and perhaps he might have some insights on what I'm doing."

Mikk shrugs in regret.

"But, he's off doing something, I'm sure. I heard that he might have been collaborating with you and you might know where to find him."

Mikk hasn't lied, but Bluff, just in case: [roll1]

Chas' office is....well, it's a mess. A standard issue academic mess. Books are stacked four feet high, papers abound everywhere, and the walls are covered in chalkboards and bookcases, organized in who knows what fashion. The man himself, however, is a relatively small hobgoblin with a pair of half-moon glasses perched precariously on his nose.

A slight frown crosses the professor's face. "Jarvath is...perhaps not the man you should be talking to about such things. He tends to be a little loose in who he assigns credit to when it comes to research."

His face brightens a little. "But of course, I'd be more than happy to help! What do you need?"

WebTiefling
2014-11-19, 05:58 PM
Chas' Office

Chas' office is....well, it's a mess. A standard issue academic mess. Books are stacked four feet high, papers abound everywhere, and the walls are covered in chalkboards and bookcases, organized in who knows what fashion. The man himself, however, is a relatively small hobgoblin with a pair of half-moon glasses perched precariously on his nose.

A slight frown crosses the professor's face. "Jarvath is...perhaps not the man you should be talking to about such things. He tends to be a little loose in who he assigns credit to when it comes to research."

His face brightens a little. "But of course, I'd be more than happy to help! What do you need?"

Mikk's face falls. "Yeah, I've, well, I think this is worth the risk. I've been doing research on greater cleverness in constructs using some ideas based on the warforged. Most constructs lack significant problem-solving capabilities, and I'm looking to improve that. A couple mutual acquaintances said he was excited over something, and since he has been interested in warforged, I was hoping he might have some insights he would be willing to share with another researcher!"

Mikk slides his fingers down a stack of books. "Though honestly, I'm more of an engineer than a researcher - I take what people like you and Jarvath discover and put it into practice. But improving a construct's cleverness is more than just engineering and I'm not making progress. I just don't have your depth of knowledge of fundamental theory. I was dearly hoping Jarvath might have some ideas to give me some new avenues of approach.

"Have you heard of what he's working on or where he might be? You're a busy professor and I feel guilty taking your time away from your research."

3SecondCultist
2014-11-20, 04:14 PM
Excellent. So your grand plan is to seduce him for information? I thought you better than that, Navanir.

Enough! I've had it with you. If you don't have anything useful to say, then I'd rather not hear from you at all. Your purpose is to aid me with research, and act as a watcher for any threats - not to judge the way I handle things. How I obtain the information we need isn't important. Do you understand?

... yes. Navanir watches as Gale begins to float away, until he is out of range entirely. For the briefest of moments, she is tempted to call out to him, call him back. She doesn't. Instead, she offers Veror another smile and turns to Aerin.

"Aerin dear, perhaps it might be best if you went after Mikk? It seems that the good professor and I have some catching up to do." If she is being rude, she doesn't seem to care. If Veror does know anything about Javarath's whereabouts, then getting close to him will be worth it.

Archmage1
2014-11-20, 04:29 PM
Aerin smiles.
"Of course, dear lady. I'll assume that he doesn't want the payment."
He sighs, theatrically.
"Ah, well, he probably doesn't know enough to be useful."
He reaches up, and tips his hat to Navanir.
"Enjoy yourself, Navanir."
With that, he turns, and starts leaving, just before he goes, he pauses, and turns back to the pair.
"Oh, If he changes his mind, or if he does know, you know where to find me. It wouldn't do to miss out on this opportunity. It could prove to be lucrative for all involved."

[roll0] bluff
(Attempting to imply that Aerin has a reward for some information, and that they were considering paying the professor for it.)

RFLS
2014-11-30, 02:47 AM
The Commons

The glint of lust in Omic's eyes turns to one of greed. "Change my mind about what, exactly? I know, well, plenty of things."

Outsider Chas' Office

Mikk's face falls. "Yeah, I've, well, I think this is worth the risk. I've been doing research on greater cleverness in constructs using some ideas based on the warforged. Most constructs lack significant problem-solving capabilities, and I'm looking to improve that. A couple mutual acquaintances said he was excited over something, and since he has been interested in warforged, I was hoping he might have some insights he would be willing to share with another researcher!"

Mikk slides his fingers down a stack of books. "Though honestly, I'm more of an engineer than a researcher - I take what people like you and Jarvath discover and put it into practice. But improving a construct's cleverness is more than just engineering and I'm not making progress. I just don't have your depth of knowledge of fundamental theory. I was dearly hoping Jarvath might have some ideas to give me some new avenues of approach.

"Have you heard of what he's working on or where he might be? You're a busy professor and I feel guilty taking your time away from your research."

"Well....if you're sure I can't help you.... Don't say I didn't warn you, though."

The little hobgoblin straightens his glasses and continues "I haven't seen him recently, but last I heard what he was working on was developing sentience in any construct, without granting it free will. It's...something we clash over repeatedly. Come to think of it, I think we were supposed to meet earlier today..."

Chas shuffles through the notes on his desk with a bemused expression on his face.

Archmage1
2014-11-30, 04:07 AM
Aerin smiles, knowing that he had hooked a fish, started reeling him.
"There is a certain fellow who recently vanished. There is also a party that is willing to pay quite well for his safe return. Perhaps you might know more?"

Chambers
2014-11-30, 08:20 AM
Erin Orien

Floating down off the airship to the ground, Erin lands lightly on her feet. She fusses with her gloves while waiting for the others to come down. "This way." She says and nods. On the way towards the Golden Serpent she tries to keep some distance between her and the people on the street, making little side steps to stay out of peoples way. "The Reach. I've never been there, though I've heard stories, of course. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it later, if you don't mind." She says to Jovis.

3SecondCultist
2014-11-30, 11:33 AM
As soon as Aerin mentions Javarath, even offhandedly, Navanir takes a step away from Veror. And he was doing so well. There goes the subtle approach. If Omic is involved in any way, he isn't likely to say anything, even with a monetized incentive. He could run. He could call down campus security. He could do any number of things, and in a public place like this... there's only one way out of this.

She halts her train of thought.

I... I can't. Not again. This got me into trouble last time. But what choice do I have? We could lose a valuable lead, or worse, one of our prime suspects. She briefly considers the idea that her prior relationship with Veror might have influenced his role as a person of interest in the assignment, but ultimately brushes it aside. If they let even one of the people from the list slip through their fingers, they might fail. This is her only course of action.

Reaching into her inner well for the second time, Navanir draws out more of her essence. But this time, instead of focusing inward, she pushes the energy outward around Veror, tendrils seeping into his mind in order to subvert, to control. She knows that if she fails, things might get even worse, but it's a calculated risk.

Manifesting Psionic Dominate (9 PP) at a duration of 1 day, Will save DC 24 negates.

WebTiefling
2014-12-01, 04:05 PM
"Well....if you're sure I can't help you.... Don't say I didn't warn you, though."

The little hobgoblin straightens his glasses and continues "I haven't seen him recently, but last I heard what he was working on was developing sentience in any construct, without granting it free will. It's...something we clash over repeatedly. Come to think of it, I think we were supposed to meet earlier today..."

Chas shuffles through the notes on his desk with a bemused expression on his face.

"I certainly would appreciate your advice! I don't have any notes with me right now, but I would certainly like to hear anything you might have to suggest about my work. But I really don't want to disrupt your busy schedule. My work is along the same lines as what you've just said - greater intelligence in constructs. Though ..."

Mikk thinks for a moment, pushing around some ideas.

"I'm ... not sure it's possible to create sentience ... without free will ... and the morality of that is, well, dubious. It would be like permanently Dominating someone." Mikk frowns at the thought, but then shakes his head.

"Regardless, his research in that area is likely to have insights into my goal of merely more capable constructs.

"Did he not show up for the meeting? I really would like to talk with him about this. May I ask when you last talked with him?"

Mikk grins, "And, as soon as our schedules allow, I would love to come talk with you, if you're sure it's not too much trouble."

Cardea
2014-12-03, 01:35 PM
Relgaddon walks gruffly off of the Shot of Destiny, unslouching to his full height, his arm's bulk making him look larger than he is. He walks behind Erin on the way to the Golden Serpent, keeping a stern face, and smiling internally as more people sidestep the three of them.

Ryuuk
2014-12-04, 12:37 AM
Lagging a bit as he takes in the crowd, Jovis catches up with the others. "It would be a pleasure, though I fear my words would fall short to what a visit would tell." The expressions, the mannerisms, he tries to take all of this in and make note while staying close to the Orien and Cannith. The city was a new environment, best to understand it quickly. "Lead the way."

RFLS
2014-12-09, 05:33 AM
The Commons

Veror frowns "Who vani - "

Halfway through the sentence, his eyes un-focus slightly, as though he's staring off into the distance. After a few seconds, he shakes his head as though breaking out of some sort of fugue.

"Where was I...?"

RFLS
2014-12-09, 05:42 AM
Chas' Office

"I certainly would appreciate your advice! I don't have any notes with me right now, but I would certainly like to hear anything you might have to suggest about my work. But I really don't want to disrupt your busy schedule. My work is along the same lines as what you've just said - greater intelligence in constructs. Though ..."

Mikk thinks for a moment, pushing around some ideas.

"I'm ... not sure it's possible to create sentience ... without free will ... and the morality of that is, well, dubious. It would be like permanently Dominating someone." Mikk frowns at the thought, but then shakes his head.

"Regardless, his research in that area is likely to have insights into my goal of merely more capable constructs.

"Did he not show up for the meeting? I really would like to talk with him about this. May I ask when you last talked with him?"

Mikk grins, "And, as soon as our schedules allow, I would love to come talk with you, if you're sure it's not too much trouble."

The professor listens as you ramble, nodding at your thoughts on the morality with a rather pointed expression on his face, which slightly sours as it's stated that you still need Jarvath.

"No, he most certainly didn't show up. As much as I dislike the man, it's not really like him to miss a meeting, I suppose. I think the last time I talked to him was....maybe three days ago? I'll have to check..."

As he shuffles through a binder full to the brim of tidbits of paper, parchment, quills, notes, and all sorts of scholarly paraphernalia, he asks "Do you know what you'll do if you can't find him?"

His last question is not idle curiosity; he has a vested interest in the matter beyond a fellow professor going missing.

RFLS
2014-12-09, 05:50 AM
Tavick's Landing

Erin Orien

Floating down off the airship to the ground, Erin lands lightly on her feet. She fusses with her gloves while waiting for the others to come down. "This way." She says and nods. On the way towards the Golden Serpent she tries to keep some distance between her and the people on the street, making little side steps to stay out of peoples way. "The Reach. I've never been there, though I've heard stories, of course. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it later, if you don't mind." She says to Jovis.

Relgaddon walks gruffly off of the Shot of Destiny, unslouching to his full height, his arm's bulk making him look larger than he is. He walks behind Erin on the way to the Golden Serpent, keeping a stern face, and smiling internally as more people sidestep the three of them.

Lagging a bit as he takes in the crowd, Jovis catches up with the others. "It would be a pleasure, though I fear my words would fall short to what a visit would tell." The expressions, the mannerisms, he tries to take all of this in and make note while staying close to the Orien and Cannith. The city was a new environment, best to understand it quickly. "Lead the way."

The crowds part easily around you - even in the City of Towers, the three of you make for an interesting sight, to say the least. The winding streets take you closer to the Golden Serpent with little to no incident. As you make your way forward, a few people jostle against you, shoved to the side by a cart laden with food heading into the city.

One of the people that just bumped into you tried to pick your pocket.

After a few more turns through the streets, the Golden Serpent's sign is visible just a block away.

WebTiefling
2014-12-09, 03:08 PM
The professor listens as you ramble, nodding at your thoughts on the morality with a rather pointed expression on his face, which slightly sours as it's stated that you still need Jarvath.

"No, he most certainly didn't show up. As much as I dislike the man, it's not really like him to miss a meeting, I suppose. I think the last time I talked to him was....maybe three days ago? I'll have to check..."

As he shuffles through a binder full to the brim of tidbits of paper, parchment, quills, notes, and all sorts of scholarly paraphernalia, he asks "Do you know what you'll do if you can't find him?"

His last question is not idle curiosity; he has a vested interest in the matter beyond a fellow professor going missing.

"Well ..." he draws it out, uncertain. "If you don't know where he is, maybe I could ask the last person who saw him. I'm an engineer, not an detective, though. If you know who or where to look, I'll ask them, but that's all I can think of.

"I tend to work at things until something finally breaks loose. That, or until I break something," Mikk chuckles, thinking of some of his projects that got ruined because he stayed up for three days straight working on them. "I've bombed a few projects by not giving up when I should have."

Mikk shakes his head, dismissing the errant thought.

"I'll just keep poking around. Someone knows where he is, or at least what he's doing. The rumors that he was on the trail of something major certainly make it worthwhile. I'm hoping there's something he's willing to share. Where did you last see him? Or do you maybe know who saw him last?"

Mikk considers for a moment. "That made me sound like a detective, didn't it?"

He puts on his deepest, most official-sounding voice, "Where did you last see the suspect?" Then he laughs, "Pretty sad."

3SecondCultist
2014-12-09, 05:49 PM
"You were in the midst of telling me about some of the new goings on around campus. Don't you remember? You invited me to dinner. Why don't we adjourn to your office, it's much more comfortable indoors."

Inwardly, the psion tries to contain her nervousness. Damnit! I can't believe I actually did it again. Chances are, he knows nothing about this. He's likely innocent. And I just took over his mind, like he's some toy on a string. It's not right. I should release control. She pauses for the second time. Well, I do have him here, at my mercy. I might as well find out what I can before deciding if he should be released. Normally, Gale might have something to say on the matter, but he isn't here. He doesn't have to know. If she makes her move quickly enough, even Aerin might not notice anything is amiss.

"Thank you, Aerin, but I don't think we have time for any of that. The two of us have a lot of catching up to do, don't we Omic?"

Archmage1
2014-12-09, 05:54 PM
Aerin looks quite surprised at Navinir's attitude, but he doesn't really have a choice.
"Of course, dear Navinir. It was quite rude of me to bring up business when you have different concerns. Adieu."
With that, he tips his hat, and departs, planning on wandering around, and seeing if there was anything interesting he could liberate from its prison.
Or else if he could hear anything useful.

RFLS
2014-12-14, 02:11 PM
Chas' Office

"Well ..." he draws it out, uncertain. "If you don't know where he is, maybe I could ask the last person who saw him. I'm an engineer, not an detective, though. If you know who or where to look, I'll ask them, but that's all I can think of.

"I tend to work at things until something finally breaks loose. That, or until I break something," Mikk chuckles, thinking of some of his projects that got ruined because he stayed up for three days straight working on them. "I've bombed a few projects by not giving up when I should have."

Mikk shakes his head, dismissing the errant thought.

"I'll just keep poking around. Someone knows where he is, or at least what he's doing. The rumors that he was on the trail of something major certainly make it worthwhile. I'm hoping there's something he's willing to share. Where did you last see him? Or do you maybe know who saw him last?"

Mikk considers for a moment. "That made me sound like a detective, didn't it?"

He puts on his deepest, most official-sounding voice, "Where did you last see the suspect?" Then he laughs, "Pretty sad."

The little hobgoblin chuckles, clearly put at ease by the joke.

"Well, I haven't been out of my office in a few days, so...probably four days ago? I have no idea who saw him last. I know he had a meeting with Professor Veror later in the day when I saw him, though. Maybe he could help you."

As he says this, he indicates a small cot in the corner with a clearly slept in look to it.

RFLS
2014-12-14, 02:19 PM
The Commons (Navanir)

Still looking a bit confused, Veror replies "Yes, yes, of course. Uhm...right this way, my office is over here," indicating across the square.

Once in his office, he pulls a chair out for you, still charming despite his metal fog, before seating himself.

"What were we discussing, again...?"

The Commons (Aerin)

Students and professors continue passing by, carrying books, papers, and rather esoteric looking devices. None of them particularly stand out; they all seem wrapped up in what they're doing.

Aside from the general hubbub, there's a tall, rather skinny man sitting on a bench a dozen or so. He's reading a book and trying, unsuccessfully, to hide his interest in you.

Archmage1
2014-12-14, 02:33 PM
Not seeing anything, Aerin continues his wanderings, looking for an opportunity, or something interesting.

Ryuuk
2014-12-14, 03:29 PM
"There it is." Jovis tries to keep an eye on the crowd and deep down is relieved to have left Tago at the enclave. probably wouldn't take this well. He wonders if there would be any regulations inside to the equipment he carried.

He makes his way to the Golden Serpent along with the others. "Any last moment precautions Erin?"

Thought the check was just for Relgaddon. If it isn't, here's my Spot: [roll0]

Chambers
2014-12-14, 03:42 PM
Erin

She pauses near the entrance and glances at Jovis. "I always assume I'm being watched when entreating with certain people. I find it helps to temper one's tongue." She says and goes inside.

WebTiefling
2014-12-15, 05:29 PM
Chas' Office

The little hobgoblin chuckles, clearly put at ease by the joke.

"Well, I haven't been out of my office in a few days, so...probably four days ago? I have no idea who saw him last. I know he had a meeting with Professor Veror later in the day when I saw him, though. Maybe he could help you."

As he says this, he indicates a small cot in the corner with a clearly slept in look to it.

"Well, then I am going to shamelessly pick your brain very soon if you're sure you aren't too busy. I'll take you out for a meal. There's a fantastic place, Georgiano's, that has fed me through quite a few brainstorming benders."

Mikk begins making his exit, shaking the goblin's hand.

"If you do hear anything about Jarvath, let me know. If he has some interesting discoveries, like rumors say he has, I'll make sure to share with you what I learn.

"I do appreciate your help on finding him, and I'll definitely send word your way soon to set up a dinner and research discussion time."

RFLS
2015-01-10, 12:22 PM
Tavick's Landing

"There it is." Jovis tries to keep an eye on the crowd and deep down is relieved to have left Tago at the enclave. probably wouldn't take this well. He wonders if there would be any regulations inside to the equipment he carried.

He makes his way to the Golden Serpent along with the others. "Any last moment precautions Erin?"

Thought the check was just for Relgaddon. If it isn't, here's my Spot: [roll0]

Erin

She pauses near the entrance and glances at Jovis. "I always assume I'm being watched when entreating with certain people. I find it helps to temper one's tongue." She says and goes inside.

You're right, everyone gets the spot check. Go read the spoiler if you haven't already. In case it wasn't clear, the thief failed to get anything out of his pocket. I'll give this one two days IRL and then assume you continue on into the inn without saying anything, if that's okay by everyone.

RFLS
2015-01-10, 12:28 PM
Chas' Office

"Well, then I am going to shamelessly pick your brain very soon if you're sure you aren't too busy. I'll take you out for a meal. There's a fantastic place, Georgiano's, that has fed me through quite a few brainstorming benders."

Mikk begins making his exit, shaking the goblin's hand.

"If you do hear anything about Jarvath, let me know. If he has some interesting discoveries, like rumors say he has, I'll make sure to share with you what I learn.

"I do appreciate your help on finding him, and I'll definitely send word your way soon to set up a dinner and research discussion time."

"Yes, yes, of course..." The little hobgoblin is shuffling papers around his desk, clearly already lost in thought. "I do hope to see you around. Enjoy your day, and all that."

With that, you're out of the office.

If it's okay, the next bit of this post will assume that you meet up with Aerin in the commons. If not, we can redact it fairly easily.

Heading back towards the Commons, you find Aerin wandering around, eyeing passerby with mild interest.

Aside from the general hubbub, there's a tall, rather skinny man sitting on a bench a dozen or so yards away. He's reading a book and trying, unsuccessfully, to hide his interest in the two of you.

Ryuuk
2015-01-10, 06:14 PM
Jovis watches the attempt and notes any identifying features that the would be theif had. Best not to draw attention. Haste may be more important than justice for a few coins. City life. Once he's out of sight he leans closer to Relgaddon as they continue. "Did he take anything?"

Cardea
2015-01-10, 08:55 PM
"No. Trying, but not succeeding. Poor pick pockets in area, yes?" Relgaddon says, following in with Erin.

3SecondCultist
2015-01-15, 11:49 PM
Once the door is closed and she's reasonably sure the two of them are alone, Navanir takes the offered seat. "We were discussing the matter of the disappearance of one Javarath di'Cannith. Do you know anything about that?" Navanir's focus is iron. If he knows anything about the kidnapping, he will tell her.

And if not... best not to think about it. Oh, Gale... for all of his grievances, she could really use a friend right about now.

RFLS
2015-02-04, 05:57 PM
Tavick's Landing

The interior of the Golden Serpent is all you could expect of a den of thieves, a shady inn, a...well, anything you wanted to call it. Smoke fills the air, conversation is loud and boisterous, and there's already a brawl going, despite it being early afternoon. The bartender dodges a thrown glass as you enter, a pained look on his face as he goes to get the broom. In the corner, the cook wipes flour off his hands on his greasy, oversized apron. All in all, it looks like exactly the kind of seedy den you've been told it is.

Navanir

"Ye-es. In a way. I was contacted a few days ago. Someone wanted to know his schedule; I thought it was so they could meet him, so I gave it to them. After it was done, they contacted me again, warning me not to say anything to anyone that came asking. You won't tell anyone, will you?"

I'm assuming you're using your dominate to force him to spill the beans.

3SecondCultist
2015-02-04, 06:05 PM
Someone inquired after his schedule? Well, I wasn't expecting that. Navanir offers Veror the kind of smile that only an ex-lover can offer. He needs to be at ease, despite her power. When this is over, she wants - needs - to minimize the fallout. "Of course I'm not going to tell anyone. It's just you and me here, Omic. Tell me more about the person who contacted you. What did they look like? How did they get in touch with you?" Hopefully, whoever this mysterious agent is knows more about where Javarath is being held.

RFLS
2015-02-05, 04:08 PM
"It was...a warforged. Blue crest above where its heart would be. It was waiting in my office. Afterwards, it just left a note with the threat."

RFLS
2015-02-06, 03:13 AM
The Commons

"...and that's what I found out from the professor. The only thing I got out of it was that Professor Veror might be worth talking to. Anything of interest happen out here?" Mikk finishes filling Aerin in about what he'd found out.

Archmage1
2015-02-06, 08:11 AM
Aerin listens, and looks mildly disgusted.
"Intelligence without free will? That seems to be an excellent way to get yourself into trouble. But if this Professor Veror might know more... lead on! Navaniir seems to be revisiting a past lover, so she's likely to be occupied for some time."

RFLS
2015-02-06, 11:02 AM
"A past lover, you say? Hmmm.... Well, I didn't take her for the type, that's for sure. Look, I have some business to attend to on campus other than this; it'll just take me a few hours. Do you want to see if you can find this Veror?"

Archmage1
2015-02-06, 11:05 AM
Aerin looks around as he talks, planning on where to go.
"Of course! How could I resist such an opportunity!"
A chance to look around this university? Who knows what I might find that is valuable, and easily concealed.

3SecondCultist
2015-02-06, 11:36 AM
Blue. The name is familiar, and it only takes a moment for her to remember it. An innkeeper who works in the Upper Cogs? That... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But she's sure that Omic is telling her the truth.

"Thank you, Omic. I'm sure that will prove to be a helpful lead." She has to let him out of the throes of her power soon. She'll make sure that Aerin and the rest of the group is safely out of Morgrave by that time. "How were you sure it was the same person who delivered the note, if you didn't see them?"

RFLS
2015-02-06, 02:19 PM
Veror's Office

"Who...else would it be? Whoever left the note knew the details of our conversation, so it could only have been he." Veror is clearly agitated by the domination, but unable to do anything about it. Even without the visible cues, you can feel agitation and anger, bordering on rage, at what has been done to him.

RFLS
2015-02-08, 04:07 PM
The Commons

Around the commons, dozens of people continue to go about their business, unaware of the now-hunting "predator." A professor goes by, barely managing to carry a locked and chained box a foot on each side. In the other direction, a group of students are standing or crouching about a strange, humanoid construct no higher than two feet tall. Across the way, you spot another professor talking to one of his students; he has his back turned to a massive pile of books and scrolls. And, on the walkway are a dozen food carts, all ripe for the picking - both the food and the money.

Archmage1
2015-02-08, 08:26 PM
Stealthily moving past the table with the books and scrolls piled up, Aerin quietly snags a selection, before he passes through the walkway, again, casually snagging a meal, before he follows the professor who is having trouble, hoping to strike when he was more alone.
This should be good. These fools always do seem to leave their valuables around. Luckily for them, I'm here, to remind them of the dangers. And the reward is so fine.

[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

RFLS
2015-02-10, 12:17 AM
The Commons

The professor continues across the commons with his load, finally entering one of the spires reaching up from the edge of the platform. He enters the tower, and briefly sets the box down inside, taking a few moments for a breather. No one else seems to be around.

Archmage1
2015-02-10, 07:12 AM
And... Opportunity strikes again. It would be a shame to miss this opportunity, and it is so interesting...
Moving casually, but quietly, Aerin takes advantage of his opportunity. slipping in behind the professor, and swiftly setting the box into his haversack, before just as swiftly getting out of sight, rejoining the crowd if possible.
Mr. Box, I think you and I are going to be best friends. At least, until I can persuade you to open.

Rolls:
[roll0] move silently
[roll1] hide
...Those... are some great rolls.

RFLS
2015-02-10, 01:15 PM
The Commons

Behind you, as you're slipping into the crowd once more, you hear a cry of anger from inside the building. It would seem the professor has noticed his loss.

Archmage1
2015-02-10, 02:08 PM
Moving with the run of students, Aerin blends in with them, as he heads out of sight, now looking for Veror's office.

3SecondCultist
2015-02-10, 04:47 PM
"Very well. I'm going to leave now, Omic. I'm so sorry for doing this to you - I needed to be sure you weren't involved. I'm glad that you weren't, for both of our sakes." For a moment, Navanir pities the man. He hasn't done anything wrong. She didn't plan on things going this way.

Turning away, the psion leaves the room without another word. Either he will understand in the end, or he won't. Nothing she can say now will change his mind. If nothing else, she knows the man's character.

Hopefully Aerin hasn't wandered off too far...

Archmage1
2015-02-11, 03:08 PM
Spotting Navinir, Aerin heads up to her, smiling, flamboyantly doffing his hat once more.
"Greetings, dear Navinir. Would you perchance be willing to guide me to the office of a professor called Veror? Mikk's professor revealed that this Veror would probably know more, and my feeble skills of navigation have proven to be insufficient here, but I'm certain that such a fine lady can do better."

3SecondCultist
2015-02-11, 03:43 PM
Upon mention of the professor, Navanir pauses. What - damn - ahhh as she scrambles desperately for an answer that will deter Aerin from going to see Omic, but won't arouse any suspicion. Better to wrap a little lie in a truth.

"That's funny." She breaks into a calculated smile. "Omic Veror was the man we were with not long ago. The two of us just... liaised back in his office." The psion does her best to appear embarrassed at the confession. A scoundrel like Seafarer will likely believe a story of impropriety. "I got some information as to who was looking for Javarath. A warforged called Blue, who is an innkeeper at the Red Hammer, a local watering hole in the Upper Cogs. I'm afraid I've never been, although I have heard some stories. Do you know it?"

Let's go, a Bluff check on dear Aerin! Feel free to roll an opposed Sense Motive, archmage.

Bluff: [roll0]

Archmage1
2015-02-11, 03:54 PM
How could Aerin disbelieve the word of a lady? :smallwink:

Aerin's left eyebrow raises slightly at her confession, before she smiles broadly.
"If your liaising was so short, it must have been rather... disappointing. But if your great beauty has won us the information we need, then let's take advantage of it. I'll have to demonstrate the proper liaising technique in the future for you, dear Lady. I'm afraid that I don't know this city very well, but if we were out at sea... but we're not. Still, I would be happy to guide you there. It would be a marvelous journey! Still, we should collect Mikk before we continue our demonstration."
With that, he turns to leave, gallantly offering her his arm, his hat under his other arm.

RFLS
2015-02-13, 11:52 AM
After wandering around for a few hours while Mikk finishes his business at the university, you finally find him again, just leaving the library. "Hey, guys! What'd you find out? Are we ready to go yet?"

Archmage1
2015-02-13, 11:55 AM
Aerin nods, still with Navanir.
"We are ready to go, and we do have destination, but we can discuss that along the way, when things are a bit more... private."

Chambers
2015-02-13, 07:52 PM
Erin

"Mind your step." Erin says as she raises slightly into the air, her toes just above the floor. She glances around the bar trying to find her contact through the chaos. "Curse the khyber." She says under her breath and zooms up to the ceiling. She breathes in deep and exhales a pale green gas that spreads throughout the bar, sticking to everyone and weighing them down. "Now that I have your attention..." She says, fixing the brawlers with her glare. "The next one is fire. Stop fighting."

Fly up and breathe on them, Slow Breath, 30ft cone. The Fort DC is 23, but they're Slowed for 1 round on a successful save anyway.

3SecondCultist
2015-02-13, 10:57 PM
Smiling and nodding at the gnome once more, Navanir takes a moment to stare out at the campus. Despite knowing, deep down, that it's worse than futile, she finds herself looking for Gale. He'll return when he wants. I can still feel his presence, which means he's still within a mile. Truth be told, for as long as she can remember, there never has been a moment when the little construct has been out of range. Not since before she was born, anyhow.

"Come on. We should look for the others. They'll want to hear what we have to say." And the sooner they leave Morgrave grounds, the better.

It's been a while, the others told us they were going after someone involved wit House Tarkanan. Would it be possible for Navanir to make a K (Local) check to figure out the same thing re: Golden Serpent and how to get there?

Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Ryuuk
2015-02-14, 06:31 PM
Jovis

The wilds were simple. Something went missing, you found the trail and followed it. The same must apply here, though rather then searching for a broken branch or a fresh footprint, you went to those that who frequented places like this. He watches the scene and slowly works on a course of action, but before anything solidifies, Erin leads the way.

Flight and magic to that degree, duly noted. He watches the crowd carefully, his arm twitching. If anyone seemed to overly disagree with Erin's request, perhaps he could beat them to the draw.

Spot [roll0] Looking for anyone taking a hostile stance or acting particularly strange.

Archmage1
2015-02-14, 09:39 PM
"Come on. We should look for the others. They'll want to hear what we have to say." And the sooner they leave Morgrave grounds, the better.

Acting the gallant hero, Aerin cheerfully smiles as opportunity beckons.
"But of course, my Lady. Lead on!"
Once more, he offers Navinir his arm.

RFLS
2015-02-15, 09:14 PM
The Golden Serpent

About half of the bar drop their hands to their sides, looking around sheepishly; the other half keeps right on going. A glass gets winged out of the crowd, aimed straight at Erin's head.

Nobody appears particularly hostile towards Erin (or you, for that matter); even the man that threw the glass isn't paying attention any more.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Crit conf (if applicable): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

EDIT: So no damage.

Chambers
2015-02-21, 09:11 PM
Erin

Watching the glass as it sails by Erin turns back towards the melee, trying to figure out who threw it. "I can't make out heads or tails with this mess." She half-yells to Jovis on the ground. "Hey!" She shouts to the brawlers and as an exclamation point she lets out a torrent of flame, spreading through the air and briefly kissing the rafters. "I came here for a quiet drink. Right now you're in the way of that."

Just breathing fire into the air, not targeting anyone.

Archmage1
2015-02-22, 01:25 PM
Arriving at the golden serpent, Aerin looks around, soon spotting Erin and Jovis, he starts to approach, but seeing the burst of fire, he stops, choosing to observe.

RFLS
2015-02-22, 01:32 PM
The Golden Serpent

After a few minutes, the brawl subsides. A few of the brawlers are left groaning on the floor or pitched out into the street. The rest of them, however, return to their drinks, picking up the tables like nothing untoward had happened.

Archmage1
2015-02-22, 01:43 PM
Seeing the brawl subside, Aerin grins cheerfully, and bows to Navinir.
"Welcome, Lady, to the Golden Serpent."
He extends his hand, and takes a step down the stairs leading in, acting the courteous escort, clearly intending to help Navinir down the stairs.

3SecondCultist
2015-02-22, 06:48 PM
"I thought I said not to call me lady." Navanir resists the impulse to look down on the brawl. After all, she knows a few of the combatants. Erin and Jovis are in the midst of it. One eyebrow raised, the half-giant stands on the sidelines with the pirate. This isn't her fight, and she doesn't really feel like getting involved yet. Maybe if things get really bad, I'll step in to try and quell the combat.

Archmage1
2015-02-22, 06:55 PM
Aerin smiles up at her, still waiting for Navanir to take his hand, for help down the stairs(Not that she needed it, but it was what that really funny book said to offer).
"Ah, but how else could I adequately describe your grace and beauty in such an excellent way?"

3SecondCultist
2015-02-22, 07:29 PM
She does her best to make her shrug unladylike. "You could try real compliments, rather than resort to flattery." Leaning in a little bit, she whispers almost conspiratorially. "I bet you 15 gold that our guys burn the whole bar down." Far away, she could almost hear Gale's approach through her mind. He would be here soon.

Archmage1
2015-02-22, 07:39 PM
Aerin smiles at her, looking totally innocent.
"Come now, what do you think I am doing? Besides, it's much more fun this way!"
As she leans in, Aerin listens, and smiles, moving so his lips were just short of Navanir's before responding, taking advantage of her motion to move in unexpectedly close.
"I'll take that bet, but I'll bet that they don't."

Chambers
2015-02-22, 09:07 PM
Erin

"It's not that I particularly cared whether they fought..." Erin said to Jovis after she floated down. "But our man might have been injured. Speaking of, have you found him?" She asks, then notices Aerin and Navanir. "Oh, you're here. Don't mind the drunks."

Archmage1
2015-02-22, 09:19 PM
Aerin smiles at her. Well, grins, might be a better word for it. He also turns from Navanir, to face her.
"Greeting, Erin, and Jovis. It's been a while. Any luck?"

3SecondCultist
2015-02-25, 04:40 PM
There you are. How did you get along? The psicrystal floats in through the threshold of the Golden Serpent, zipping around the half-giant's head before landing on her shoulder. Under the torchlight, Navanir can trace the facets of his miniature crystalline body. Immediately, she can tell that he has mostly calmed down from before, but opts to say nothing of what happened earlier.

Just watch and see. Stepping forward towards Erin, the seven foot tall figure looms over most of the others in the bar. She looks down at the other woman, beckoning her forward with her fingers. "May we speak privately for a moment?" She motions that Jovis should join them as well.

Leading the two of them towards an alcove close to the door, she begins to explain. She keeps her voice low, in "At the university, I found a lead on Javarath. According to a colleague of mine, a warforged named Blue - who apparently works at a tavern in the Upper Cogs - was inquiring after his schedule, and then apparently threatened my colleague to keep it quiet. I think it would be worth our while to check it out."

Chambers
2015-03-08, 04:15 PM
Erin

"Luck?" Erin asks with a raised eyebrow. "You're looking at our progress." She says as she waves a hand towards the bar and it's patrons. "If Ioro is here, we haven't seen him yet."

RFLS
2015-03-14, 01:43 PM
The Golden Serpent

Over near a stairwell about 20 feet away, a rather burly human is doing his best to look inconspicuous.
Apparently, he overheard the word "Ioro." His eyes flick towards the group briefly, and then distinctly not at the group.

Archmage1
2015-03-14, 04:27 PM
The ever-confident Aerin swaggers up to the bar, and orders a mug. After it arrives, he raises it to the rest of the group.
"A toast, to our success?"

Archmage1
2015-03-23, 08:51 AM
Feeling slightly hurt at the silence Aerin sighs, and takes a long swig of his drink, before slamming it down on the counter.
"Good ale."
That said, after a few moments, he turns to the group.
"Not the drinking sorts? What do you do to celebrate then?"

Chambers
2015-03-23, 01:57 PM
Erin

Finally. Erin sighs as she catches sight of the figure near the stairwell and raises half a smile to Aerin. "Oh, my families parties were famed in Passage. I prefer to celebrate after the job is done though." She says and nods towards the burly man. "He knows something and doesn't look like he's in the mood to share it. Would someone mind going around back to block him if tries to run?" She says before standing up and picking her way through the crowd, her eyes not straying from the man.

When she's in front of him she smiles and her eyes flick back over her shoulder at her companions. "Don't mind them, we're just here for a chat. Mind if I join you?" She asks and sits down across from him without waiting for an answer.

Erin taps the Spot DC's.

Archmage1
2015-03-23, 02:15 PM
Aerin grins wryly at Erin.
"You've never had to motivate a good crew then. Celebrations are always a good plan. Especially when things are going well. Because that's when everything goes topsy turvey, and it comes to ruin. Because your fine crew got too paranoid. But if your parties are famed, then we'll have this one be a good one."

As she continues, Aerin grins at her request, clearly looking forward to the fellows attempt to run, and unobtrusibly making his way behind the target.

[roll0] hide[roll1] move silently
If the fellow tries to run, Aerin will move to block him.(Sadly, grapples and trips are not his forte.)

RFLS
2015-03-25, 02:42 PM
The Golden Serpent

The man grunts noncommittally. "Do I have a choice?"

Archmage1
2015-03-25, 02:43 PM
Aerin whispers in his ear.
"There's always a choice. Just as there are always consequences."

3SecondCultist
2015-03-26, 07:35 AM
Navanir follows Erin over towards the man, Gale in tow. The half-giant looms over their target, her expression unreadable. She doesn't need to do anything here. She's only an observer, and will step in only if absolutely necessary. This is what she tells herself. However, it does pay to be alert. From her psionic reserve, Navanir forms a set of invisible force-plate around herself. If a hidden attack does come at some point in the next ten hours, she will be able to defend herself.

Spending 9 PP for an augmented +8 intertial armor, bringing my character's AC up to 20 for the next 10 hours. Just a precaution. :smallwink:

RFLS
2015-04-01, 04:26 PM
The Golden Serpent

The man starts at the voice in his ear, clearly unnerved. "Alright, what are you after?"

Archmage1
2015-04-06, 05:05 PM
Seeing that everyone else seemed to be struck dumb, Aerin speaks up once more, his voice almost a loving whisper.
"Why, I do believe we are after your boss."

RFLS
2015-04-07, 09:34 PM
The Golden Serpent

"He's not seeing people right now. You lot should clear off. I can't help you."

Cardea
2015-04-07, 10:59 PM
Relgaddon smiles as he moves to the man obstructing their way. He I clips his cloak, and looks at it appreciatively as he speaks. "Clearing off. Funny man. Choosing funny words. You are one who is needing to be gone. If you are not helping, you are hindering. We are seeing boss. He Armbow snaps to his hand instantly, and he looks at the man again. "This is being above your paying level, friend. Please go. Your boss will be of understanding.

Archmage1
2015-04-08, 05:59 AM
Aerin sighs, theatrically, and claps his hand on the man's back, as a friend would, but a little too hard.
"Friend, you know, we were almost getting along, and then you go and say a things like that. It hurts my feelings, knowing that you would like like that. Now, are you sure that's how you want to go? I assure you, this is the pleasant route. Trust me in that you would vastly prefer the pleasant one."

[roll0](Diplo or intimidate, your choice)

3SecondCultist
2015-04-08, 09:14 AM
Instead of speaking, Navanir lets Aerin take the lead. Barring her brief bet with the captain, the psion has been quiet ever since they left the university. I can't believe I did that to Omic. She will release him from her power as soon as they are outside the city limits, but she doesn't expect that her standing at the University will much improve after this.

He's humanoid all right. Average intelligence. Doesn't mean he's not a threat, though. Her psicrystal seems to have picked up on her terseness. Does he know? She isn't sure, but he may suspect.

"Listen to them." Her first contribution to the conversation with the stranger is a command, although a light one. They'll need a delicate touch here. She steps forward, smiling. "My friends here are asking nicely, after all. You seem like a reasonable man, and more than capable. Ask yourself: what's my best move here?"

Chambers
2015-04-08, 08:47 PM
Erin

Rolling her eyes at Aerin's theatrics, Erin taps her fingers on the table. "Go and tell him Erin Orien is here to see him." She says and leans back to wait.

RFLS
2015-04-10, 11:24 AM
The Golden Serpent

The man makes eye contact with each of you for a second, clearly weighing his options.

"Fine." He turns and heads up the stairs. A few moments later, he comes back down looking rather chastened. A large man in an incredibly gaudy suit follows him down the stairs, a frown etched into his rocky face. "What do you...oh. Hello, Erin. Been a while."

Chambers
2015-04-10, 11:38 AM
Erin

"Hello yourself, Ioro." Erin days with a smile. She stands and lightly taps a small coin pouch at her belt. "My companions have some questions for you. Mind if we go somewhere private?"

She turns to Aerin and raises an eyebrow. "Ioro is a friend and I expect him to be treated like one." She says in a low voice.

The motion to the money pouch is indication that hell be paid for his time and answers.

Archmage1
2015-04-14, 01:11 PM
Aerin just smiles, and shifts to lean against the wall, looking almost totally like a fellow not looking like a threat to anyone. Except maybe a mug of ale or two.

3SecondCultist
2015-04-14, 04:00 PM
Navanir follows Aerin's lead, unsure which questions she should be asking. This is hardly her lead. So like the others, she will wait for somewhere more private. If Ioro does know anything more about where Javarath is, then it won't do for them to be asking about it where just anyone can overhear. Besides, if they can tease out any connection to Blue or to the Red Hammer, they might just be onto something.

RFLS
2015-04-16, 01:33 AM
"No, no, not at all. It's not as though I was busy. Here, come this way."

He gestures up the stairs, allowing you to go before him. Upstairs is a short hallway with a few doors on either side; he leads you to the one on the far left, guarded by a burly human in chain mail. Inside is a simple office with a couch and coffee table off to one side. The room itself is smoky, and an ashtray on both the desk and the coffee table leaves little doubt as to why.

"Now, I know I owe you, Erin, but this is a bit short notice. What is it you want from me?"

Archmage1
2015-04-16, 05:54 AM
Aerin heads up, and nods to the guard as he enters, once more returning to casually decorating the wall.

3SecondCultist
2015-04-16, 09:27 AM
Following Ioro and Aerin upstairs, Navanir prepares herself inwardly. Focusing her mind into concentric circles, the psion places herself in the center of her own mindscape. The twisting towers of her memories - palaces of infinite glass - surround her, not sharp but smooth like monoliths. She can breathe here. In the distance, she can feel Gale bolstering her efforts, but this is a private place where even he cannot enter.

When she walks into the room, the giantess looks for comfortable seating for someone her size. Barring that, she will stand on her own two feet. When she asks Ioro the questions she needs, she wants to have the edge. So often, her height gives her that. She waits until everyone is inside before proceeding.

"We're here to ask you about Javarath d'Cannith. Have you heard from him recently?"

Concentration checks to maintain psionic focus, for both myself and my psicrystal as a full round action. Either one of them will give me the focus I'm looking for, and both will give me two.

Concentration: [roll0] and [roll1]

Chambers
2015-04-19, 10:43 AM
Erin Orien

"As my companion mentioned, Javarth. We know he owes you." She says and pulls off a silver brooch in the shape of a dragons head from her shawl. "This is my marker...his debts are now mine." She places the brooch on the desk along with the pouch of coins and waves away some of the smoke.

"Now, where can I find him to collect what he owes me?"

There's 20 platinum coins in the pouch.

RFLS
2015-04-20, 10:30 PM
Ioro flashes a grin and reaches for the pouch. "Well, I'll be happy to take your money, but he don't owe me nothing. He came in here a few days ago and settled up. Good thing, too. I was about to go have a...conversation with him."

3SecondCultist
2015-04-20, 10:39 PM
Not letting the rather smug fellow get too full of his own juice, Navanir steps in once more.

"He settled up, just out of the blue? And how often does that tend to happen, in your line of work?" The half-giant's eyes glow silver as she asks the multiverse for aid yet again. Her mind palace is already brimming with herself, a vessel always on the verge of tipping over. She wonders how much does Ioro really have to do with Javarath's disappearance, and whether or not going after him will prove helpful in their mission from Merrix.

I'm burning another 7 PP for psionic divination, so an 80% chance of success. Anything higher than that, and I don't know whether or not the information is accurate. Also Sense Motive, if at all possible.

Divination: [roll0]

Sense Motive: [roll1]

Edit: awesome, so the divination worked and I rolled high on Sense Motive! :smallsmile:

Archmage1
2015-04-21, 08:07 AM
Aerin looks interested as the conversation progresses, however, he remains silent
So Javarth recently came into a large sum of money, and used it to pay his debts? Someone's paying the fellow, but who?
"Well now, that's quite interesting, that is. If you don't mind me asking, how much did he owe, and might we see the coins? Coins, well coins can tell tales, although not always the right one."
He seems to be speaking in a drawl, unlike his previous conversations.

Chambers
2015-04-22, 08:36 PM
Erin Orien

Erin raises her eyes in surprise, then nods. "That's the fastest marker I've ever cleared." She says with a smile as she leans over to take her brooch back. As she pins it back to her shawl she smirks to Aerin. "That's assuming he paid up in coin." She says, then glances to Ioro.

RFLS
2015-04-23, 05:40 PM
"Well, depends. Sometimes, if they hear I'm looking for them, they settle up real quick. Not often someone as late as him does otherwise, though. He did pay in coin, but I don't have it no more - already doled it out to my customers."

The voices in your head reply quickly - "No, he is of no further use to you."

As far as you can tell, he's telling the truth.

Archmage1
2015-04-23, 05:58 PM
Aerin frowns.
So, he seems free of will, and in possession of large amounts of money. He's either being blackmailed, or, more likely, he's helping someone of his own free will. No evidence left, of course, as the club launders money, and it's unlikely the coin will tell tales. Which leaves us rather short of leads.

3SecondCultist
2015-04-23, 10:04 PM
As unobtrusively as she can, Navanir turns to both Erin and Aerin. Not at all confusing, I'll have to get used to that. The half-giant's face is a complete blank. She leans in, trying to keep quiet so that the others won't overhear. At the very least, they won't understand what she's referring to. "With all due respect, I think we might be wasting our time. Nothing more than an overdue debt, one that has now been paid. We should be following the other lead, the one I talked about. I know this won't do us any good - clairsentience is useful like that."

Rolling for Bluff to transmit a 'hidden message', DC 15 for a simple message = we should be following the lead at the Red Hammer, the inn in the Upper Cogs.

Bluff: [roll0]

RFLS
2015-04-27, 04:38 PM
Ioro listens with one eyebrow cocked, clearly not understanding what was happening.

Archmage1
2015-04-27, 04:39 PM
Aerin hardly seems to move.
"Well, if that's all you can tell us, that's all you can tell us. Unless you have anything to add?"
Aerin quirks an eyebrow at Ioro, waiting a moment or two for a response, before sweeping out the door.

3SecondCultist
2015-04-27, 05:10 PM
Meeting Erin's gaze in a stern manner, Navanir takes the captain's offer to leave. Any dealings that she has with Ioro will have to wait, and inwardly she resolves herself to help with the woman's debt.

But for now, they have some warforged to catch, and there is no use wasting time here when Javarath could be in danger right now.

Chambers
2015-04-28, 06:51 PM
Erin Orien

Erin nods to Navanir and follows them out. She stops at the door. "Thanks for your time Ioro." She says. "One last thing. How was he dressed? Did it look like he was headed anywhere in particular?"

After his reply she shuts the door and frowns. "Not exactly what I thought we'd find out. Did you say earlier that you had some leads?"

3SecondCultist
2015-04-28, 06:53 PM
"Yes, in the Upper Cogs. There's a tavern there, called the Red Hammer. I believe the proprietor of the establishment is either responsible or knows something about Javarath's disappearance, as they inquired after his schedule and then tried to threaten the person who gave it to them into silence. That strikes me as extremely suspicious, wouldn't you say?"

Archmage1
2015-04-29, 08:15 AM
Aerin, after leaving Ioro's presence, looks over Navanir and Erin, as they discuss the next lead. He shifts to a spot roughly in between them, and smiles broadly at them.
"It would be most unfortunate were two such lovely ladies to head to the Hammer unescorted. Fortunately, I am able to make the great sacrifice, and save you from the trouble such a visit would surely cause. From what I've heard, such ladies rarely leave. Not everywhere is as friendly as here. Some places are a little too friendly, on the whole."
With an almost laughing smile, Aerin extends his arms, one to Erin, and one to Navanir.

RFLS
2015-05-03, 12:13 PM
Ioro's already shuffling some papers around; he doesn't even acknowledge Aerin's question. "I didn't really notice what he was wearing, to be honest. Boots, jacket, brimmed hat. Nothing out of the ordinary. Your friends are leaving, though. Don't let me detain you."

Chambers
2015-05-03, 12:39 PM
Erin

"It seems like a heavier touch is called for." Erin says. "More than willing to oblige." She says and eyes Aerin. "An escort will serve as a cover story, I suppose. Just watch your hands."

Archmage1
2015-05-03, 12:50 PM
Aerin grins at her.
"But of course!"

3SecondCultist
2015-05-03, 01:09 PM
When Aerin approaches her, Navanir stops for a moment. Won't it look awkward, her being more than a full foot taller than him? But she doesn't want to disappoint the captain, and for all that he has his irritating qualities, the half-giant grudgingly admits that she admires his persistence.

"All right, fine. You might not want to hold on to me once we get there, though. If we get into a rough spot, I'm likely to turn into something... unpleasant."

Archmage1
2015-05-03, 08:18 PM
Aerin, both arms in use now, grins up at Navinir.
"Ah, but that's where you're mistaken. I could find no form you might choose to inhabit unpleasant. Your radiant beauty would shine through anything!"
With that, Aerin starts jauntily walking towards the Red Hammer, cheerfully talking about nothing much as he leads his somewhat dubious companions.

RFLS
2015-05-06, 02:29 PM
The Red Hammer

An hour or so later, you step into another inn. This one is as different as possible from the Golden Serpent. Clean, well lit, and quiet. No food is served, no drink is drunk. The patrons of the bar are, almost without exception, warforged. They sit at tables, quietly murmuring to each other. As you step in, the bar quiets past where it was for a second, and then the low noise of conversation resumes.

Archmage1
2015-05-06, 02:30 PM
Aerin, who had been cheerfully chatting about nothing much, releases the ladies as they enter, to gesture widely at the common room.
"And here we are, ladies, the Red Hammer, safe and sound."

3SecondCultist
2015-05-06, 02:40 PM
Not much of an atmosphere, Navanir thinks to herself. But she says nothing. She gathers her power around herself in a protective shell, heading directly for the host. They will get answers, and they will get them now. As politely as she can, the half-giant addresses whoever looks to be in charge.

"Excuse me, but could you point me in the direction of Blue? I would like to speak with her, if at all possible."

I'm spending 9 PP for an augmented intertial armor, lasting 10 hours and giving me a +8 to AC. Would it be okay for me to assume that I have both psionic foci up already? And I'm rolling Diplomacy for whoever is the host.

Chambers
2015-05-06, 05:29 PM
Erin Orien

Erin paused on the threshold, not expecting a roomful of warforged. She followed behind her companions and resisted an urge to scan the crowd of magical constructs to see what wards and dwomers might live inside them. Instead she stepped up to the bar, then turned and slowly looked over the crowd. "What does Blue look like?" She asks quietly.

RFLS
2015-05-07, 02:48 PM
The Red Hammer

A small warforged is seated behind a desk in the back right corner of the room, apparently going over some paperwork. They don't look up as Navanir approaches, or even as she speaks, only acknowledging her presence when she finishes writing.

"She's not here right now."

She's lying through her teeth.

Yeah, you can assume both foci are up.

Archmage1
2015-05-07, 02:55 PM
Aerin bows gracefully to the warforged who responded.
"Perhaps you could guide us to where she is, so we can get out of the way, and let you get on with your paperwork?"

3SecondCultist
2015-05-07, 03:01 PM
Roughly shouldering Aerin out of the way - her day hasn't exactly been the shortest one - Navanir steps closer to the warforged. Lowering her voice slightly for effect, she lets the living construct see the psionic power in her eyes. It's not a fear tactic, so much as it is a promise of what will happen if they don't meet with Blue.

"I know you're not telling the truth. Try again."

Archmage1
2015-05-07, 03:03 PM
Aerin smoothly flows out of the way of Navinir as she bulls past, opening his mouth to comment, before he decides not to contradict a lady.

RFLS
2015-05-07, 05:35 PM
The Red Hammer

They go back to reading a document in front of them. "I'd really rather not. Now, get out of my establishment."

Archmage1
2015-05-07, 05:39 PM
Aerin, sensing that he might be able to help, smiles charmingly at the warforged, placing his hands on the counter.
"Ah, my dear, can you really refuse such a lady as Lady Navinir? It is quite a cruel thing to do, and you're not cruel, are you?"
[roll0] Diplo

Chambers
2015-05-07, 06:34 PM
Erin Orien

Her eyebrows rise up at Navanir's sudden aggressiveness. She nods and turns back to face the crowd, keeping an eye out for any patrons who would step up to intervene.

Making a Spot check [roll0] to see if any of the Warforged look like they're about to make a move or look unhappy with how Navanir is questioning the barkeep.

RFLS
2015-05-15, 06:10 PM
The Red Hammer

The warforged sighs; at least, they lift their shoulders up and then back down in a manner reminiscent of a sigh. "Look, she doesn't want to be bothered now. It's easier to say that she's not here than to tell people she's indisposed - how can a warforged be indisposed, they ask. Would you just leave her alone?"

The room has quieted a bit, but no one is looking particularly aggressive.

Archmage1
2015-05-15, 06:51 PM
Aerin frowns.
"Alas, dear lady, it is fairly important that we speak with her."

RFLS
2015-05-21, 05:45 PM
The Red Hammer

"I told you; she's indisposed. If you'd like to leave a message, you can do that. I'll make sure it gets to her."

Archmage1
2015-05-21, 08:38 PM
Aerin only grins at her more, and his voice seems very confident.
"Perhaps, dear lady, we can help her get better. We're quite good at that, I assure you."
[roll0] bluff

RFLS
2015-05-28, 02:42 PM
The Red Hammer

"...perhaps. I suppose it can't hurt to tell you what's wrong. She's going through a....how to put it? Existential crisis, I guess, would be the best way, although it's nearly the opposite. You humans and other races sometimes agonize over why you were put here, what your purpose is. For us, it's different. We know why we were put here, and it's horrifying. We all go through it, at some point. So. Can you help her with that?"

Archmage1
2015-05-28, 02:45 PM
Aerin's grin continues, clearly unfazed.
"Of course! Most people, well, they might have a choice, but really, we all do have a purpose. To survive, and multiply, and to protect your crew. Sure, people might have different opinions on how to go about this, but life is complicated stuff. It's just a matter of finding a reason, a goal, a purpose, some way to hide from that base knowledge. In that, we are no different."

Chambers
2015-05-30, 07:31 PM
Erin

"That's...not very different than what we humans go through." Erin says after a moment, taken aback by the frankness of the barkeep. "The difference, I suppose, is that you know why you were made. At that, you have a leg up on us. Most don't have any idea why they're here." She says. "Look at it from this way: she knows why she was here, and by what you say seems she has a problem with that. There's her reference point, at least she knows what she doesn't want to be."