PDA

View Full Version : Ranged spells as melee touch

thesilentx
2014-10-16, 06:54 AM
A friend of mine (deox) and I were trying to create Minato from Naruto Shippuden.

Duskblade 1
Duskblade 2
Duskblade 3
Duskblade 4
Duskblade 5
Wizard 1
Swordsage 1
Swordsage 2
Telflammar Shadowlord 1
Telflammar Shadowlord 2
Telflammar Shadowlord 3
Telflammar Shadowlord 4
8 levels of other stuff, either SSage or Wizard.

Duskblade 13
Swordsage 1
Telflammar Shadowlord 4
2 levels of other stuff

For similar builds see various nightcrawler builds.

The Conundrum:
We are trying to figure out how to do the Rasengan ability. For those who don't know, the ability is essentially a ball of Chakra that is condensed and spinning around at a high velocity. He was thinking either Orb of Force or Orb of Lightning, I just recently started thinking of maybe magic missile as a melee touch or melee attack. The point is to bring a ranged touch spell to be either melee or melee touch. Any ideas?

lytokk
2014-10-16, 07:17 AM
Magic Missile doesn't require any rolls to hit, so long as you're not dealing with concealment.

I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't use a melee touch attack to deliver a ranged touch attack spell. So long as you're in melee range. I can't find anything on the SRD about ranged touch attacks in melee range, so its one of those DM calls.

Deox
2014-10-16, 07:24 AM
I guess to rephrase - are there any similar spells to the orb of X line that aren't ranged attacks? Or, for that matter, any spells that would emulate the 'feel' better?

Zombimode
2014-10-16, 07:33 AM
Magic Missile doesn't require any rolls to hit, so long as you're not dealing with concealment.

I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't use a melee touch attack to deliver a ranged touch attack spell. So long as you're in melee range. I can't find anything on the SRD about ranged touch attacks in melee range, so its one of those DM calls.

A spell that requires a ranged touch attack will not somehow loose this requirement just because the intended target is within melee range. The caster still has to make a ranged touch attack against the target, which will likely provoke an AoO.

I guess to rephrase - are there any similar spells to the orb of X line that aren't ranged attacks? Or, for that matter, any spells that would emulate the 'feel' better?

Well, there is Combust (Spell Compendium). It is a 2nd level spell dealing 1d8/level fire damage requiring a touch attack, no save (not against the damage, at least).

Deox
2014-10-16, 07:44 AM
Well, there is Combust (Spell Compendium). It is a 2nd level spell dealing 1d8/level fire damage requiring a touch attack, no save (not against the damage, at least).

Coincidentally, that was the other spell that immediately came to mind. The first issue, is that it is fire damage (granted an elemental substitution would remedy this). The second, is while an effective spell, we didn't see it as emulating the effect of Minato's rasengan quite right.