PDA

View Full Version : New Group Etiquette

SamsDisciple
2014-10-16, 07:06 AM
I am in the process of moving and as such I will be unable to continue playing with my established group. With every group I have played with before I always had a friend or three in the group before we started playing. Now that I will be flying blind does the playground have any advice for what I should do for being the random stranger entering an open group at the local game shop? What are taboos that I should avoid? Maybe the boards here know a way to find a good group without relying on pbp or the local game store...

Nobot
2014-10-16, 07:37 AM
One of our players is often abroad so we use skype and a few cams. Works surprisingly well!

If that's not an option, then my advice would be to first consider what of kind of group you are looking for, instead of worrying prematurely about whether or not you'll fit in. There are about a gazillion different ways to play games and some are mutually exclusive. If you don't like the loudmouths-get-the-loot, kick-in-the-door games, avoid groups that do, et cetera.

Additionally, I wouldn't limit myself to looking around in game shops. Convert new people once you get to know them and believe they might enjoy a game!

ElenionAncalima
2014-10-16, 02:10 PM
I would say good starting points are:
-Show up on time
-Have good hygeine
-Be nice

Beyond that, there are so many variables between groups...the best thing to do is ask the new group what rules they have.

You'll probably want to get a feel for the following:
-Optimization level
-House Rules
-Tolerance for PvP
-Loot Distribution
-Expected levels of Roleplaying vs. OOC speech
-Extent of backstory required
-Cell phone/laptop rules
-Food and snacks patterns

Jay R
2014-10-16, 02:36 PM
Listen a lot in the first session. And when you talk, ask lots of questions.

Raphite1
2014-10-16, 02:39 PM
- Don't arrive naked unless you clear it with the GM first. Even if it gets approved, wear at least a robe between your car and the house.
- Unless you ask permission, don't smoke cigars at the table and blow smoke in other players' faces and laugh loudly at their reactions.
- Don't spit on the game mat until you've seen at least two other players or the GM do it.
- After chewing your food for awhile, don't stick out your tongue to show it to everyone. If someone wants to see it, they'll shyly ask you in private.
- No deliberate flatulance aimed into their open refigerator, after which you quickly close the door.
- Don't pick your nose where anyone can see it. Do it in the bathroom. It's also not okay to sneak under the game table and pick your nose there.
- Wear clothing that covers your buttcrack when you sit down.

comicshorse
2014-10-16, 04:10 PM
- Don't arrive naked unless you clear it with the GM first. Even if it gets approved, wear at least a robe between your car and the house.
- Unless you ask permission, don't smoke cigars at the table and blow smoke in other players' faces and laugh loudly at their reactions.
- Don't spit on the game mat until you've seen at least two other players or the GM do it.
- After chewing your food for awhile, don't stick out your tongue to show it to everyone. If someone wants to see it, they'll shyly ask you in private.
- No deliberate flatulance aimed into their open refigerator, after which you quickly close the door.
- Don't pick your nose where anyone can see it. Do it in the bathroom. It's also not okay to sneak under the game table and pick your nose there.
- Wear clothing that covers your buttcrack when you sit down.

But this are fine with your regular group, right ? :smallcool:

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-16, 04:26 PM
Perhaps ask them about past games to get a feel for what they enjoy and if you too will enjoy it?

Raphite1
2014-10-16, 09:52 PM
But this are fine with your regular group, right ? :smallcool:

Oh sure, you just have to ease into it.

Vitruviansquid
2014-10-16, 10:04 PM
Ralphite1 is a sage for the century.

I'd say don't overthink it, just treat them like any other group of people you want to get along with - don't bully people, don't be catty, be open to their quirks, and be sociable. For RPG's in particular, I guess the one added thing I'd say is don't be very snobby if they do things differently than you. Just because you've learned to play one way, or you've learned to play one game, doesn't mean it's "better" than what they're doing.

Nagash
2014-10-16, 10:45 PM
Be open minded to other peoples quirks and ways of doing things. Even if its not what your used to if you give it a honest, open minded try you might find you like their way better. Or at least can take a few things from it.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-17, 07:43 AM
Try to get everyone's real names and remember them. I once found out five sessions into a college game that what I thought was a person's name was actually his character's name.

Neli42
2014-10-18, 01:30 AM
Try to get everyone's real names and remember them. I once found out five sessions into a college game that what I thought was a person's name was actually his character's name.

This happened to a new member in our group. But he actually wound up preferring that we call him by that as a nickname even IRL after that character died.:smallsmile:

Algeh
2014-10-19, 11:48 AM
I've never actually tried these suggestions, because I tend to game with people I already know, but here are some ideas for getting an idea of playstyle or the group's sense of humor before you wade in:

- Ask if you can watch a session before creating your character. This will tell you a lot about optimization level, PvP level, collaboration vs competition in general, and will help identify vacant ecological niches a new character might fit well into. This makes more sense if you're coming into a long-running campaign rather than a one-off or the start of a new campaign, obviously.

- Before the game, ask the other players and DM to tell stories about their past campaigns together. What they think is hilarious or interesting should be a good guide as to whether or not they'd be a good fit. Are the things they find funny when they happened in past campaigns the kind of things you'd also find funny, or would you be offended or upset? Are the kinds of things they found awesome and epic also things you'd find exciting?

For coming into an existing game or group generally:

- Don't create a character backstory that implies your character is the New Main Character. Come up with someone who generally wants to get along and go with the flow, at least until you see what kind of game you're in. You want to do enough that you're not known as "the quiet person who never does anything", but don't come in with all kinds of ideas for solo sidequests and a backstory where you have some specific thing you need to spend a lot of time doing that's not related to the ongoing story. Some DMs will create such a thing for you as a way of introducing a new PC and a new plotline at the same time, but if they don't you shouldn't either. In OotS terms, you want to create a Durkon rather than a Miko.

- Start out by "being a good student". Bring your dice, books if you have them, pencils, notepad, and whatever other supplies you might need. Keep most of your stuff in a bag by your chair and only get it out if you need it or everyone else has it out. Plan to pay attention the whole time without looking at your phone. After you figure out if the rest of the group does this or not, it's easy to relax into the group norm, but you don't want to have your first impression be the person who never remembers their stuff and is always distracted.

- Similarly, consider bringing some kind of snack the first time (it's fine to ask in advance how the group handles this - my last long-running group rotated whose turn it was to buy the ingredients and we cooked an actual meal together). Pick something not messy and with few ingredients since you won't know about allergies. Sliced cheese and crackers might be good unless someone has a gluten or dairy issue. Plain potato chips are about the least allergenic snack food (gluten free, vegan, unless you buy an off-brand they contain none of the 8 most common allergens (a few brands use soybean oil), and people will actually eat them), but also look a lot lazier so I don't recommend them for a proper potluck. If you're not worried about allergies cookies tend to go over well.