PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Weapons of Legacy for 5e

Startouched
2014-10-16, 03:10 PM
I've always really loved the idea of Legacy Weapons, as a scaling weapon that is tied to a single character can go some way to making an item feel special and useful throughout a campaign. However, 3.5e's implementation of them in Weapons of Legacy seemed overly complicated and thus at odds with 5e's preference for elegance and simplicity. Thus I've tried to come up with a retooled Legacy-Style system. Here's an example:

Caledfwich

Physical Description: A beautiful leaf-bladed shortsword with an elegant golden handle and a slight blue tinge to the metal's sheen. A large flawless sapphire is set in the sword's hilt and runic glyphs run down the centre of the blade. These glyphs are written in a cipher (intelligence ability check DC 20) and may contain tales of future exploits of the current wielder or tales of the heroes who once bore this blade. The glyphs occasionally shift after a few weeks and they always change when a new bearer attunes to the blade.
History: A legendary sword said to gravitate towards those who are fated to become great heroes. The ancient blade has gone by many names throughout the years, so often that many bards who sing of the legendary blades Caladbolg, Excalibur, Caledfwich and <insert setting-relevant name here> have no idea that the songs all speak of the same radiant weapon. The blade is by now so old that it's true origin varies with each retelling, but the most credible theory is that the sword was forged by the ancient sea-god Lir millenia ago.

Wielder Requirements: None.

At player level 1, the weapon is classed as magical but is otherwise no different in power to a standard shortsword. I don't recommend giving the weapon out until third level minimum regardless though, as bypassing the damage resistance of monsters vulnerable to magic weapons is still pretty significant.

At level 5, the blade becomes a +1 shortsword and the sidequest The Silver Beast is unlocked. The runes upon the blade will shift to Common and speak of the wielder's impending Great Hunt until the sidequest is resolved.

A silvery Giant Elk will appear from this point on occasionally, observing the party silently. The wielder will feel intense animosity towards the creature if he or she is gripping this blade. If the party gives chase, the Elk will immediately flee for a while, with weak beasts defending it's flight. The bladebearer will strongly wish to be the one to slay the deer personally. When the bearer has caught up with the Elk, a group of Satyrs (sufficient to challenge the number of PCs present) will step forward and congratulate the bearer on the hunt, encouraging them to claim the prize-the Elk's head.

If the bearer kills the Elk, the blade gains the property Beastbane, gaining an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls against beasts. If the bearer attacks the satyr or questions the need to kill the beast (which will enrage the satyrs into attacking), upon a successful victory, the blade will gain the property Feyfoe, gaining an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls against Fey.

At player level 10, assuming The Silver Beast has been completed, the sidequest Selfless is unlocked. The inscription on the blade will shift to Common once more, revealing only the word Sacrifice until the sidequest is resolved.

Soon after the inscription appears, someone the bearer holds dear (or, if the bearer hates everyone or all his allies are party members/powerful/impossible to reach, an innocent and well respected member of society will be kidnapped and the bearer will feel a compulsion emanating from the blade to rescue them) will be kidnapped. Once they are tracked down, the kidnapper will flee in a manner making it impossible to save the innocent and apprehend them simultaneously. Once the sidequest is resolved, Strength of the Guardian or Strength of the Avenger is gained. When a party member is injured in combat, a weapon with Strength of the Avenger has an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls against their attacker for a turn. This can only trigger on one foe at a time, but you may switch it's focus if another ally is harmed. Strength of the Guardian allows you to use your reaction to leap with unnatural speed into the way of any attack made upon anyone within a 10 foot radius, taking the hit for them.

At player level 15, assuming Selfless has been completed, the sidequest Champion is unlocked and the blade becomes a +2 shortsword. The inscription on the blade will shift to Common once more, describing an impending battle with a giant that the hero must face alone.

A Cyclops will seek the bearer out and challenge him to single combat at some point. if the bearer accepts the two will immediately be transported to Final Destination a large grassy field where giants of all types gather to observe the battle. Upon victory, the bearer will be rewarded with Heroic Resolve whist bearing the blade, which grants permanent immunity to Frightened and allows you to add +2 to one saving throw per short rest. Upon loss, the blade is taken by the victor. After this victory, hill giants and cyclops will occasionally seek the party and attack you all for the blade (no duel this time, just raids).

At player level 20, assuming Champion has been completed, the sidequest Lughnasa is unlocked and the blade becomes a +3 shortsword. The inscription on the blade will shift to Common once more, revealing only the words 'Two Heirs, One Worthy' until the sidequest is resolved.

A party of giants led by a Cloud Giant (of total adjusted experience between 50 and 70 thousand) will track the party down. The Cloud Giant will introduce himself as Lugh, the grandson of Lir and claim blood-right to Caledfwich. Regardless of whether he receives it, Lugh will be unable to trigger the blade's power and will become enraged, attacking the party. Upon victory, the attacks upon the party by lesser giants will cease and you may use Imprisoning Stroke once per day.

Imprisoning Stroke: Upon hitting an enemy with 100HP or less, you may force them to withstand a WIS saving throw of DC (14+ strength modifier). If they succeed or have used Imprisoning Stroke to successfully Imprison a foe within the last 7 days, they merely take an additional 5d10 force damage. If they fail and no foes have been Imprisoned by this effect within the last 7 days, they are banished underground following rules of Imprisonment. Only one foe may be banished by this effect at any given time. If, after 7 days, another foe is banished, the original foe appears to the place from which they were initially banished.

BRKNdevil
2014-10-16, 06:33 PM
What happens if the player wants to capture the elk as a mount or animal companion? and why is the save a 14 + str? it seems out of place of the normal DC's, I'm suggesting that it should be 8 + Prof. + Dex or Str. The Dex bit because its a Finesse Weapon.

Shadow
2014-10-18, 03:47 AM
why is the save a 14 + str? it seems out of place of the normal DC's, I'm suggesting that it should be 8 + Prof. + Dex or Str. The Dex bit because its a Finesse Weapon.

That's what the DC is.
8 + proficiency (which at level 20 is +6) = 14 + Str

BRKNdevil
2014-10-18, 04:49 AM
Then what about the possibility of Epic level games? one of the CR lists show that Prof. Bonus for Creatures above 20 keep going up, and i'm assuming PC prof. Bonuses will continue the same as well.

Shadow
2014-10-18, 04:55 AM
We don't even know that epic levels will exist yet.
They weren't introduced at all until 3e, and were horribly horribly broken at that point.
They were a part of the design in 4e, and classes were built with them specifically in mind.
There is no indication that they even exist for 5e at this point. You can't just assume that they do, although changing the wording for that DC would make sense, just in case.

Amnoriath
2014-10-18, 05:12 AM
1. The Silver Beast, this is a little harder to remember than it needs to be. Just make both bonuses apply to both.
2. Selfless, so does this mean he jumps with in 10 feet of the ally that was hit or that he just jumps 10 feet?
3. Lughnasa, considering this is once a day maybe you should just remove the 100 hp limit. You also need to clear up the wording as it sounds like if the enemy has used the ability to imprison somebody he can succeed.

Startouched
2014-10-18, 05:46 AM
What happens if the player wants to capture the elk as a mount or animal companion? and why is the save a 14 + str? it seems out of place of the normal DC's, I'm suggesting that it should be 8 + Prof. + Dex or Str. The Dex bit because its a Finesse Weapon.

I would rule that the satyrs attack you and you gain Feyfoe.

Prof at level 20 is 6, it's already taken into account! :) Adjustments will be made if epic level rules come out in the DMHB.

1. The Silver Beast, this is a little harder to remember than it needs to be. Just make both bonuses apply to both.
2. Selfless, so does this mean he jumps with in 10 feet of the ally that was hit or that he just jumps 10 feet?
3. Lughnasa, considering this is once a day maybe you should just remove the 100 hp limit. You also need to clear up the wording as it sounds like if the enemy has used the ability to imprison somebody he can succeed.

1: I don't think granting both bonuses would fit the flavour, plus it would be a little bit OP IMO to trigger on two subsets of nmonsters. This gives the player some choice in how they want their weapon to develop.

2: He may jump 10ft to take a hit for an ally, provided that the jump would actually allow him to reach them.

3: I thought about removing the 100HP limit, but without it the weapon is functionally an extra 9th level spell per day, which I am unsure about. Fair enough on the wording though! :smile:

Amnoriath
2014-10-18, 07:42 AM
I would rule that the satyrs attack you and you gain Feyfoe.

Prof at level 20 is 6, it's already taken into account! :) Adjustments will be made if epic level rules come out in the DMHB.

1: I don't think granting both bonuses would fit the flavour, plus it would be a little bit OP IMO to trigger on two subsets of nmonsters. This gives the player some choice in how they want their weapon to develop.

2: He may jump 10ft to take a hit for an ally, provided that the jump would actually allow him to reach them.

3: I thought about removing the 100HP limit, but without it the weapon is functionally an extra 9th level spell per day, which I am unsure about. Fair enough on the wording though! :smile:
1. It is a choice on one quest and isn't at all worth the +1 effective price though. I mean lets look at bane in the past, granted it was in a more expansive numbers game but for that you got a +2 and +1d6 damage. So, while it may be slightly better than your standard magic weapon at that level it isn't all that significant. I am assuming this a weapon that needs to be attuned while the former doesn't.
2. Another highly situational ability then.
3. But you do realize that ability has qualification of 7 days or they aren't banished, correct? The spell itself offers are varying array of options. Yes, yours is quicker but it is one type that removes them from harm and only works if you haven't used it for 7 days.