PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Musical Instrument Proficency

DireSickFish
2014-10-16, 03:41 PM
What are all the ways to get musical instrument proficiency?

The ones I know of:
-Be a Bard
-Entertainer Background
-Do "Training" and spend 250 days and some gold to gain proficiency
-Outlander Background

Spinward Bound
2014-10-16, 03:44 PM
Outlander background too.

MadGrady
2014-10-16, 03:46 PM
This is totally a houserule, but I allow at least one tool proficiency, no matter what. They are more RP oriented anyway than outright utility (thieves' tools being an exception), so for us it wasn't really a big deal to say pick a tool or instrument if you want.

hymer
2014-10-16, 03:48 PM
Make up your own background and pick music instrument. Or pick a background with a tool proficiency you already have (Druid/Hermit is the one I know).

Spinward Bound
2014-10-16, 03:50 PM
Heck, just use the background customization option and swap out something and add an instrument.

DireSickFish
2014-10-16, 03:58 PM
I'll add outlander. I know it's an easy housrule, just want to figure out if there are ways of getting it with ought houserules.

Townopolis
2014-10-16, 04:28 PM
Customizing your background isn't actually a houserule; it's in the book. Heck, it isn't even in a sidebar or presented as an optional rule. It's just "You might want to customize your background. If that's so, here's what you do."

[Edit] PHB 125-127, for those interested.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-16, 04:46 PM
Monks can choose either one form of Artisan Tool or one Musical Instrument to gain proficiency with as well. I'm not 100% sure why they do so over every other class, but it's a nice little perk.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-17, 01:30 AM
-Do "Training" and spend 250 days and some gold to gain proficiency

I wonder if you could instead squeeze the training into your backstory.

Inevitability
2014-10-17, 07:28 AM
I wonder if you could instead squeeze the training into your backstory.

The prize is too much to be affordable with starting gold, even if you rolled max GP.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-17, 09:15 AM
The prize is too much to be affordable with starting gold, even if you rolled max GP.

If they bring back WBL, I could see it happening with higher-level starts.

Daishain
2014-10-17, 09:44 AM
Depends on how you got it. For instance, a sailor that played an instrument to entertain others of the crew would likely pick up the proficiency with their chosen instrument over the course of several years (assuming they didn't just play one song endlessly), and would probably not have to pay a copper piece for the training.

Of course, a DM should act to limit shenanigans to abuse this (Over time, Falcor grew to be known as the best blacksmith, musician, tailor, jeweler, and lockpicker the village had ever seen!), but it is reasonable to a certain degree.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-17, 10:17 AM
Depends on how you got it. For instance, a sailor that played an instrument to entertain others of the crew would likely pick up the proficiency with their chosen instrument over the course of several years (assuming they didn't just play one song endlessly), and would probably not have to pay a copper piece for the training.

Even if he isn't getting formal training, there are costs involved. Strings, rosin, reeds, re-hairing for bows, repairs, and sheet music aren't free.

Although personally, if it was me, I'd say that training times would be doubled or tripled without a proper mentor.

Inevitability
2014-10-18, 03:57 AM

Of course, a DM should act to limit shenanigans to abuse this (Over time, Falcor grew to be known as the best blacksmith, musician, tailor, jeweler, and lockpicker the village had ever seen!), but it is reasonable to a certain degree.

Yes, but the OP made it clear he was looking for 100% RAW ways. This isn't one of those.

If they bring back WBL, I could see it happening with higher-level starts.

I bet they won't. And if they did, most things WBL was spend on in previous editions (magic items, cool mounts) are now priceless, making the whole idea kind of pointless.