PDA

View Full Version : Epic Soulknife Feats

Cardea
2014-10-16, 03:57 PM
I'm using a Soulknife fix to play an epic level Soulknife. Take your time to review that sentence and confirm it in your head, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't really been considered before by most of you who would read this. I'm struggling to come up with Epic Soulknife Feats to make to present to my DM. Has anyone thought about this before, or come up with something for their own use in their own games?

danzibr
2014-10-16, 07:16 PM
I'm using a Soulknife fix to play an epic level Soulknife. Take your time to review that sentence and confirm it in your head, because I'm pretty sure it hasn't really been considered before by most of you who would read this. I'm struggling to come up with Epic Soulknife Feats to make to present to my DM. Has anyone thought about this before, or come up with something for their own use in their own games?
It'd help to know the fix you're using.

Seclora
2014-10-16, 11:08 PM
Personally, I brewed a feat to let me shape it into any Martial Weapon. Epic level Soulknife still has all the normal Soulknife problems, so I'd love to hear your fix.

Psyren
2014-10-17, 02:24 AM
It'd help to know the fix you're using.

I see what you did there :smalltongue:

@ OP: You need to add some kind of options system (read: casting) to it to make it worthwhile in Epic. Powers, maneuvers, incarnum, truenaming, anything. What it absolutely cannot be is "I can make a +12 mind blade now, but I still have to walk up to a monster and full-attack next round." Just about any Epic Monster will flatten you if that's all you've got.

J-H
2014-10-17, 07:47 AM
A sufficient number of Wondrous items will give him flight, point-to-point tactical teleports, Freedom of Movement, Mind Blank, Death Ward, True Seeing, etc. Epic WBL lets you eliminate most of the "not a caster" defense weaknesses.

Still, not much will compare to Epic Spellcasting (it's broken, but at least it's powerful compared to +1 STR, +1 NA feats).

I'd look for feats that let you put a major boost on the ability-draining powers a Soulknife has access to - say, maybe increasing it from 1 to 1d4, and something similar to the arcane channeling boost that a Duskblade gets at level 13, where your Psychic Strike damage applies to all attacks in a round.
Another "Lingering strike" feat (similar to Lingering Breath) could have Psychic Strike apply half its damage again in the following round.

The goal then is that if you can land 2 attacks that each do 5d4 damage to an enemy caster's primary stat, with lingering 10d2 damage the next round - well, that spellcaster is going to have a really bad day at best. Lowering an enemy to 0 CHA makes it fall into a coma, and 0 WIS/0 INT are both effective as well.

The only problem is that some Epic enemies are immune to ability damage, ability drain, or some variety of the above. For those, another feat that lets you "steal" abilities from them instead might work (even if they don't suffer the drain, you gain 5d4 STR for 5 rounds, etc).