PDA

View Full Version : Sports Starting to Run

Palanan
2014-10-16, 05:20 PM
Last week, on my nighttime walk, I decided to try running for the first time in years. That lasted about a block.

Over the past week or so I've continued trying, every couple of days, and as of last night I'm up to a block and a half. Despite the pitiable distance, my quads have been letting me know about it--a very different kind of exertion from my usual hiking or mountain-biking.

I used to do a little running a few years ago, but never really got into it; fifteen minutes out and back was my practical limit, in a neighborhood that had steep little hills. I like powering up hills, the same as on my mountain bike, but running on flat ground is just plain tedious for me. And where I live now is pretty much all flat ground.

That said, more running seems like a positive to me; I just don't know the basics of running as exercise. What should I be doing, or not doing, and how can I kickstart the motivation on this?

Haruki-kun
2014-10-16, 06:39 PM
There's a program aimed at beginners named Couch to 5K (http://www.c25k.com/). A lot of people really like it and I've heard only good things about it.

I tried it a couple years back, but unfortunately injured myself (unrelated reasons) and had to stop running. (Plus, I don't really like running). But when I hear people saying they want to start running I usually point them in that direction. Have you checked it out yet?

Icewraith
2014-10-16, 06:52 PM
Invest in good athletic shoes. Replace them every four to six months depending on weather and wear. It's far cheaper and more conveniant than surgery to repair any long-term injury you can give yourself in bad or worn out shoes.

Stretch before and after. If you don't know what stretches to do, google can probably help you out.

If you get full-on running shoes instead of cross trainers, don't use them for other sports, especially ones with lots of side-to-side movements like basketball. Running shoes are constructed for running, so they're lightweight and don't have as much support when you're performing movements that don't normally occur in running- it's a lot easier to twist your ankle guarding someone in basketball wearing running shoes. If you can find a store that specializes in running shoes, go there. The guys at the store will be able to tell you about things you're doing wrong with your stride, or may be able to offer you insoles to stop small movements in your foot (over- or under- pronation) from building up over time and causing issues.

Drink lots of water.

Keep track of the approximate distances you're running.

If possible, make sure you have a cell phone and a belt clip or arm band to keep it secure while you're running. You don't want to be carrying your entire wallet, but you probably do want your house key, ID, and a small amount of cash just in case. (Don't let the phone or key bounce around in a pocket and keep hitting your leg, you want those secure) If you feel the need to listen to music from your phone, keep it very, very low so that you can still hear cars and other hazards. I'd recommend leaving off the music and not trying to use the time to also make social calls via bluetooth-it's really best if you're fully aware of your surroundings at all times. If you get lost, you have a GPS. If you push it too hard, you can call a cab or even an ambulance if necessary, or an ambulance for someone else if you encounter someone in distress.

Always run with the flow of traffic, not against it.

Come up with alternate routes so you don't get bored. Have some longer runs for when you want to test yourself, follow these up with shorter runs.

Avoid sugar! Lots of sugar is a great way to completely crash in the middle of a run.

If possible, find a buddy to run with. You both can push each other a bit more, make sure you're stretching correctly, talk to each other, help each other out, and keep each other showing up.

If there are lots of birds in your area you may want to pick up birdwatching as a secondary hobby.

If there are poisonous snakes in your area you should know how to deal with them (basically don't screw with them) and how to treat snakebite.

Oh, and depending on the time of day you run, wear sunscreen. Giving yourself melanoma while trying to get in shape is counterproductive.

aspi
2014-10-17, 07:08 AM
When I started running, I was pretty out of shape and what you are describing kinda reminds me of the first month. I could run for maybe a minute before I had to give up and either catch my breath (when running on a flat area) or give my legs some rest (when running uphill). If you're not accustomed to running, there's a point where you think you can't keep running and really have to stop, either because your lungs are burning up because your legs hurt. But this actually isn't true. If you really had to, you could keep running for quite a while. For me, much of "learning" to run had to do with dealing with exhaustion and "pain".

The trick is to force yourself to run just a bit farther when you feel like you can't keep running. Just a few steps - really, don't overdo it. Just enough to prove your feeling of exhaustion wrong. The nice thing about this is that it turns running into a sort of competition against yourself: to beat your whiny lazy side that wants to stop. No matter how well trained you are, there will always be a limit where it stops being comfortable (although this limit will be the running speed instead of duration after a while). So always keep scratching that limit, even if it will stop moving at some point due to diminishing returns.

I feel that this is also really helpful in learning to deal with situations in life where you just have to push through, because it introduces you to a certain mindset that can be helpful when things just have to get done and you don't feel like doing them.

Invest in good athletic shoes. Replace them every four to six months depending on weather and wear. It's far cheaper and more conveniant than surgery to repair any long-term injury you can give yourself in bad or worn out shoes.
While I completely agree with the notion that running in worn out shoes is a really stupid thing to do for your health, I also think simply putting forth a figure such as 4-6 months without any context isn't all that helpful. If you're like me and go running once a week for about one to two hours, then 6 months equal 25 runs or 30-40 hours of running and 150 miles. Unless someone bought cheap running shoes (which as you said is a bad idea in any case) that's not nearly enogh to wear them out. The usual figure is something like 300 to 500 miles.

RabbitHoleLost
2014-10-17, 07:49 AM
Although I quit after being dumped and stupidly upset for a while, I started running again back in May after several years of not running (and, even then, I only did it because I spent a year on an Army ROTC scholarship, which required me to pass a basic level PT test once a semester)
What I found helps is the Zombies, Run! app. I hate running, but nothing really seems to get me going more than listening to zombies coming in close to my ears. It's like a five dollar app, but it has an interesting story line and you "earn" things on your run to help build your safehouse, plus you can import your music.

..I should probably get back into it, actually.

Erloas
2014-10-17, 09:30 AM
I really need to get back into running. I was in really good shape about 10-12 months ago then I found a girlfriend. I didn't have time for the gym and between what she liked to cook and what her kids would eat there wasn't much good. So I put on probably 40-50 lbs, which is where I was before I had decided 6-7 years ago to actually get into shape.
We broke up recently though and I really need to get back to the gym and back to running.

But anyway, I was in pretty good shape when a friend suggest I started running outside. I had found before that I could run a long time on a treadmill but as soon as I tried to run outside it was killing me right away. The friend then sent me an old heart rate monitor she didn't use any more and I put that on.
About 60 seconds after starting to run with the heart rate monitor I figured out what the problem was, I was trying to run well beyond what I could do. Once I slowed down and got my heart rate at a reasonable number (about 150 for me at that point) I found I could run for a very long time.

So if you are in reasonable shape, and with mountain biking and hiking you probably are, then my guess is that you are just running beyond what you can currently do. Slow down and find the right pace, one that you can actually run for more than a block and you should see things get much better much faster. If you can get a heart rate monitor that could help, but I stopped wearing mine after a couple months because by then I could tell if my body could hold up the pace or not.

I went from not being able to run even a mile outside to running a half marathon in one summer.

Icewraith
2014-10-17, 02:56 PM
It's important to note that there's a difference between exhaustion and discomfort that you should push through and pain that you should not. Anything really sharp and intense is something to pay attention to, mere soreness or discomfort you can usually push through without hurting yourself. However, if something just doesn't seem right or there's discomfort or weirdness in how a joint is moving that is distinct form general soreness, back off and consider getting it checked out.

TheThan
2014-10-17, 04:25 PM
I really need to get back into running. I was in really good shape about 10-12 months ago then I found a girlfriend. I didn't have time for the gym and between what she liked to cook and what her kids would eat there wasn't much good. So I put on probably 40-50 lbs, which is where I was before I had decided 6-7 years ago to actually get into shape.

My Grandfather gave me some advice:

Never marry a good cook, she’ll just make you fat.

...I’m still not sure if this is good advice or not…

(and yes, he married a great cook)

Zrak
2014-10-19, 01:13 AM
Interval running is usually a good way to start and remains a good training method even as you get more used to running. Work on shortening the rest intervals and increasing your pace during the running intervals before working on increasing your speed during rest intervals. In general, "forcing" yourself to go that extra fifteen seconds is the best way to learn that you actually can make it a little further.

If you like hiking, think about moving to trail running after you build up a little more stamina. Having to pay attention to the trail can make the experience much more engaging if you're the type of person who finds running tedious. Alternatively, turn "tedious" into "relaxing" by focusing on your breathing and thinking of running as a kind of meditation disguised as cardiovascular exercise.

If you strike with your forefoot, rather than your heel, when you run, consider running in minimalist shoes. I'm generally on the side of those who think it promotes better form and leads to less injuries than the cushioned, supportive running shoes that used to be in vogue. Also, there's a lot less guesswork when it comes to replacing them, since you basically replace them when they literally fall apart. They're not for everybody, but it's something to keep in mind.

I wouldn't really stretch before running, unless you do a brisk walk warm up, then stretch, then run. You want blood flowing and taking oxygen to your muscles before you stretch them.

valadil
2014-10-19, 07:52 AM
I don't run, but I'm starting to think it might be more practical to start. I've got two kids now and getting to and from a gym plus working out takes too damn long. But I could run for 20 minutes and get some benefit.

But whenever I've tried to get into it, I get a side stitch on my right side, just below the ribs. I've heard rumors that you can power through it, alter your breathing rhythm, or time your steps. None of that ever worked for me. It just gets more and more intense til I ragequit. It's not so bad that I couldn't get past it, but I'm not at all convinced it'll go away. Any of you more experienced runners have any tips for that?

aspi
2014-10-19, 10:54 AM
I haven't looked into it for a while but I was told a few yeas ago that there's no real consensus on what causes these side stitches. For me, it definitely was a breathing issue and I had "fun" with it during most of my years in school PE classes (and the teacher's suggestions definitely didn't work for me). When I later started running, I found that it helps to focus on abdominal breathing. It's a bit weird to describe but what I do when I run is to draw in air and sort of let the force of impact of each of my following steps drive a bit of air out of my lungs until I have exhaled completely (usually 3-4 steps), then inhale again. Of course this is more the feeling of it, since steps are obviously not hard enough to actually drive the breath from your lungs but it feels very natural. This way, my breathing is very deep and linked to my running rhythm, so it never gets out of step.

However, it also was a question of my overall fitness and I just had it on and off for the first two months no mater what I did. It got better over time. As a side note, this is something I would be careful with and not just "push through". For me, 5 minutes of walking and controlled breathing usually took care of it and then I was ok for the rest of the run.

Palanan
2014-10-19, 09:21 PM
So, thanks to everyone who's made suggestions so far.

Last night I tried to push a little further…and stalled out, with a stitch just like valadil describes. That was the first time it's been an issue; previously it's the lack of breath that gets me. My legs are strong enough, but my lungs are way behind.

Originally Posted by Haruki-kun
There's a program aimed at beginners named Couch to 5K. A lot of people really like it and I've heard only good things about it.

Thanks for the link, that looks interesting. Not sure how to time myself that exactly, but worth trying out.

Originally Posted by Icewraith
*snip*

Thanks for the comprehensive wall o' running advice there. I'll keep this in mind as I (try to) continue, but for some of it I'm just not that advanced yet.

:smallfrown:

If you get full-on running shoes instead of cross trainers, don't use them for other sports, especially ones with lots of side-to-side movements like basketball.

Sadly, investing in specialized shoes is a little out of my reach right now.

If you get lost, you have a GPS.

Right now I can only manage a couple of blocks. Don't need a GPS just yet.

Originally Posted by aspi
When I started running, I was pretty out of shape and what you are describing kinda reminds me of the first month. I could run for maybe a minute before I had to give up and either catch my breath (when running on a flat area) or give my legs some rest (when running uphill).

At this point I can probably run for about ten minutes (urf) but in the end it's the oxygen that gets me.

And that #%&$@!! stitch.

Originally Posted by Erloas
So if you are in reasonable shape, and with mountain biking and hiking you probably are, then my guess is that you are just running beyond what you can currently do. Slow down and find the right pace, one that you can actually run for more than a block....

Yeah, three blocks. : /

When I started last night I felt like a million bucks. That lasted about half a block. I wasn't going fast, more the reverse, trying to take an easy pace. Even then, three blocks was all I could manage.

Originally Posted by Erloas
I went from not being able to run even a mile outside to running a half marathon in one summer.

This is pretty impressive. I'd be happy with 1/13 of a marathon.

Originally Posted by Zrak
In general, "forcing" yourself to go that extra fifteen seconds is the best way to learn that you actually can make it a little further.

This seems to be a recurring theme. I tried to do this last night, but my lungs wheezed out on me. Breathing is a real trick.

"Keep breathing...that's the key!" Maybe I'm just a natural sprinter.

:smalltongue:

Piggy Knowles
2014-10-19, 09:47 PM
Running uses totally different muscles than most other physical activities. General fitness can help you run, but it's not going to necessarily make it easy.

I used to bike to work, I've hiked over a thousand miles of the Appalachian Trail, and I played competitive roller derby for seven years, but when I started running, it exhausted me. I still have trouble running more than 5K at a time, and that's after running semi-regularly for a couple of years. That said, it's fantastic exercise, and I've come to really enjoy it. I try to go for a decent run at least once a week.

For me personally, giving myself timed goals rather than distance goals was a big help. I'd start small, but tell myself that I had to run for, say, ten minutes straight without stopping. It didn't matter how fast I ran, I just made myself keep running for those ten minutes. I'm also pretty competitive, so bringing along running partners helped a lot - I would force myself to try to keep up with friends out of sheer cussedness, long after I would have stopped had I been running alone.

Palanan
2014-10-20, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles
I'm also pretty competitive, so bringing along running partners helped a lot - I would force myself to try to keep up with friends out of sheer cussedness, long after I would have stopped had I been running alone.

I call this the "Seabiscuit Effect." :smalltongue:

It would certainly be helpful, but sadly I don't have anyone to go running with.

Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles
Running uses totally different muscles than most other physical activities. General fitness can help you run, but it's not going to necessarily make it easy.

No kidding. I've discovered kayaking is the same way. I can hike all day in the mountains, and get up the next day and hike some more. But after five hours in a kayak I'm annihilated for the rest of that day and all of the next.

As far as running, right now I'm convinced that improving my breathing is the key to improving my running time. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that. Aspi mentioned a rhythmic pattern timed to a certain number of steps, but I don't think I could ever be that coordinated.

:smallfrown:

Jay R
2014-10-20, 09:23 PM
Last night I tried to push a little further…and stalled out, with a stitch just like valadil describes. That was the first time it's been an issue; previously it's the lack of breath that gets me. My legs are strong enough, but my lungs are way behind.

This is not a reason to quit. This is a reason to continue. Focus on the reasons you want to get better.

By the way, my experience is that bicycling is just as good exercise with less physical stress on my knees. (Of course, I'm 58. Your mileage may vary.)

Palanan
2014-10-20, 09:31 PM
Not planning to quit. But I do need to work on the breathing thing.

As for bicycling, I love it. I started mountain biking at ten thousand feet in the Colorado Rockies.

I'm now at 15' ASL, still go cycling when I can, but I don't always have the time of an evening. The neighborhood run is a good alternative.

And if bicycling is good for you, bicycling + running has got to be better. Like PK mentioned, totally different muscle groups involved.

Slylizard
2014-10-20, 10:19 PM
I'd consider myself an ok runner these days (I do about 5.3 miles at lunch 4 times a week), and the one thing I find really really helps is to have some sort of goal/motivation to work towards.

A lot of people work towards half/full marathons, but to be honest I find straight running a little boring. Instead I do obstacle races (look up Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder... and the like). They're trail runs mixed in with obstacles and promote a really good all body fitness. So working up to the challenge of those really motivates me during the weeks.

Jay R
2014-10-21, 07:03 AM
And if bicycling is good for you, bicycling + running has got to be better. Like PK mentioned, totally different muscle groups involved.

Not on my 58-year-old knees.

aspi
2014-10-21, 07:19 AM
By the way, my experience is that bicycling is just as good exercise with less physical stress on my knees. (Of course, I'm 58. Your mileage may vary.)
To some extent, this may also be a question of training though. For me it's the opposite: Running is fine but long bicycle trips make me knees hurt.

But aside from that there seems to be a consensus that as far as going easy on the bones is concernd, the ordering is swimming >> cycling > running. Too bad I don't like swimming :smallsigh:

Jay R
2014-10-21, 05:44 PM
But aside from that there seems to be a consensus that as far as going easy on the bones is concernd, the ordering is swimming >> cycling > running. Too bad I don't like swimming :smallsigh:

I love swimming. But a bicycle fits in my garage better than a swimming pool would.

BannedInSchool
2014-10-22, 09:17 AM
If I recall my understanding correctly, any effort you can't sustain for over an hour should only be done as intervals in training. And as far as intervals go, it's the last one that should nearly exhaust you, not the first or every one.

Icewraith
2014-10-22, 01:10 PM
Maybe it's just how I'm built, but I'll take running over a bicycle seat any day.

Demidos
2014-10-22, 01:32 PM
As a current college varsity runner (albeit injured ATM), I'll reiterate find a running buddy and will add When running, NEVER stop to walk. Its a TRAP. Slow down if you have to, but starting to walk is a great way to kill the rest of your workout (it becomes a "oh, i'll just walk a little more....and a little more than that").

Palanan
2014-10-24, 10:36 AM
Maybe it's just how I'm built, but I'll take running over a bicycle seat any day.

Well, this might depend on the bicycle seat, at least for me. I find bicycling much, much easier than running.

Originally Posted by Demidos
...I'll reiterate find a running buddy....

Not really an option for me right now, sadly.

EDIT:

So, as of tonight I'm up to 3.5 blocks.

Hey, I'll take what I can get.

:smallsigh: