PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotic pattern: Poorly worded or am I dumb?

MrUberGr
2014-10-16, 05:32 PM
So, I got this spells as my level 3 bard spell. Even though it seems pretty cool, I'm having a few problems understanding it.

First of all, it's a concentration spell, yet the text says: "the pattern appears for a moment and then vanishes".

So do you need the concentration to keep the affected creatures incapacitated or do you get to repeat the attack as a (what?) action on your turn or when someone enters etc?

Secondly, it's a 30ft cube. The spells says "each creature in the area that can see the pattern".
a) is there some reason -besides lack of vision- for which a creature won't be able to see it.
b) Wouldn't someone outside the AoE be able to see it. Shouldn't he be affected by it?

Spinward Bound
2014-10-16, 05:47 PM
Concentration is just to maintain the charm incapacitation, you don't get to repeat the attack. While it's possible that creatures outside the cube can see the patterns, going by the spell description it would still only affect those within the 30' cube.

Edit: I guess I can see how the question came up, I'm reading "area" to be referring to the inside of the 30' cube.

Daishain
2014-10-16, 05:47 PM
So, I got this spells as my level 3 bard spell. Even though it seems pretty cool, I'm having a few problems understanding it.

First of all, it's a concentration spell, yet the text says: "the pattern appears for a moment and then vanishes".

So do you need the concentration to keep the affected creatures incapacitated or do you get to repeat the attack as a (what?) action on your turn or when someone enters etc?

Secondly, it's a 30ft cube. The spells says "each creature in the area that can see the pattern".
a) is there some reason -besides lack of vision- for which a creature won't be able to see it.
b) Wouldn't someone outside the AoE be able to see it. Shouldn't he be affected by it?
Concentration and duration is to maintain the charmed condition. The pattern disappears and does not reappear because you cannot charm any more individuals.

a.) presumably, if they're looking away, their vision is blocked, or its just too damn dark to see. This is partly up to the DM, though to be fair I would rule that the spell tends to attract attention.

b.) the suggestion is that those outside of the field can see it, but can't see enough detail for the hypnotic effect to work. Your DM might rule that those with exceptional eyesight are affected from further away, but that's really up to them.

edge2054
2014-10-17, 08:50 AM
It's just worded poorly.

Creatures that can see within a 30' cube make a save. Those that fail are charmed as long as you maintain concentration.

odigity
2014-10-17, 09:44 AM
It's just worded poorly.

Creatures that can see within a 30' cube make a save. Those that fail are charmed as long as you maintain concentration.

That's still worded suboptimally. For example, most creatures can see within a 30' cube. That would affect almost everyone in the world instantly. :) How about:

"Creatures within a 30' cube that can see the pattern make a save."

Also, it really should have been radius. This is silly.

iLXeNk
2014-10-17, 10:38 AM

First, most parts of a spell that don't directly state mechanical functions are fluff and should be ignored when determining the mechanical function of the spell.
The pattern appears for a moment and then vanishes. This is more or less fluff and not mechanical.
Your DM could decide this lasts for the duration of the spell (1 minute) or lasts for a split-second. Again this aspect is fluff and can be decided on more for RP reasons.

Second, when it refers to the "area" it is referencing the 30ft cube.
So its basically saying only creature(s) within the 30ft cube that can see the cube that also failed their save are charmed for the duration of the spell.
The spell duration is 1 minute (10 rounds) while Concentrating on the spell or until the spell is dismissed, which ever one comes first.
While concentrating on this spell you can still move, attack, cast spells (non-concentration) or basically do anything else that won't interrupt your concentration.
Until the spell ends or until something causes the creature(s) to lose the charm status, the creature(s) remain charmed.

That's still worded suboptimally. For example, most creatures can see within a 30' cube. That would affect almost everyone in the world instantly. :) How about:

That still isn't right as it doesn't specify creatures within the 30ft pattern cube. So this would again imply that any creatures in the area that can see the pattern would be affected.

The line "Each creature in the area who sees the pattern must save or get charmed." could be fixed by making the area more specific rather than vague.
"Each creature in the spell's 30ft cube who sees the pattern must save or be charmed."

Tenmujiin
2014-10-17, 11:33 AM
I imagine it only appearing momentarily to anyone in line of sight but remaining in the vision of anyone in the 30ft cube who fails the save as long as they remain charmed (like an after image).

TheOOB
2014-10-19, 12:35 AM

That's what it says, it just accounts for the fact that the area can be changed with metamagic. If you are a)within the area, and b)can see, it will affect you. Not very useful against grimlocks.