PDA

View Full Version : bard's tale, where to play it

dehro
2014-10-16, 07:52 PM
I've never played it and know it's an oldie. I know a fair bit about the game and like playing retro games. For instance I have baldur's gate on my tablet, a Sony experia.

So what do I play it on?
Tablet
Pros:
I can take it with me, it's dirt cheap (1.50 €)
Cons:
It takes up some 1.7 gb of memory and I only have 3gb left. My extra memory sd card is half empty but I belief software always goes on the main memory and don't think I can change that, with the Android technology's penchant for constantly updating software that doesn't seem to need an uodate, I fear 1.3 gb might be at risk of filling up real quick.

Puter
Pros: plenty of space on my machine. I can enjoy the game at its fullest with larger screen and bigger sound.
Cons: can't take it with me, which is a shame, because it seems like a game I'd love to be able to play on the move. it's more expensive (6.something €, still cheap but kinda stupid if you can pay a fourth of that).

I've read reviews claiming it's even better on tablet, but don't know if the claim has merit. Is there extra content specific to or handling mechanics for one or the other format that makes it worth leaning that way? What would you choose? have you played it in either platform?
Advice?

Gnoman
2014-10-16, 07:57 PM
Are you talking about the Bard's Tale Trilogy or that absolutely horrendous thing from 2006?

dehro
2014-10-16, 08:15 PM
Are you talking about the Bard's Tale Trilogy or that absolutely horrendous thing from 2006?

I believe it's the latter (2004), and from what I read it's not really connected to the originals but also not as bad as your reaction implies. At a 1.50 euro rate I don't expect a masterpiece.

Vitruviansquid
2014-10-16, 08:22 PM
It really doesn't matter what machine you play it on, Bard's Tale plays like ass.

However, it is hilarious in the interstices of the ass gameplay.

dehro
2014-10-17, 09:11 AM
The funny elements are the entire reason I want to play... So this leads me nowhere in terms of what's the best option

factotum
2014-10-17, 10:19 AM
I believe it's the latter (2004), and from what I read it's not really connected to the originals but also not as bad as your reaction implies. At a 1.50 euro rate I don't expect a masterpiece.

Oh no, believe me...the Bard's Tale remake from 2004 really *is* as bad as Gnoman's reaction implies. I like to finish games when I start playing them; occasionally I'll fail to finish one because the difficulty curve goes beyond my gaming capabilities, but the Bard's Tale is one of the few that I've never finished because it was just garbage. Unpleasant to play, dull, uninteresting characters, and the crowning problem in what is supposed to be a humorous game--it just isn't funny!

dehro
2014-10-17, 10:22 AM
well... that's just sad, especially when the reviews (on steam, so gamers reviews) don't seem to indicate such massive levels of fail.

dehro
2014-10-17, 10:25 AM
so.. on a sidenote.. is there any way to move other than files (as in, music, video, pics and data files) from the main memory to the SD card? I'm thinking of apps, software and other stuff of which the updates are gradually bringing my tablet to chocking point despite having most of the SD memory still available.