PDA

View Full Version : Those who keep the dead down

dukexx
2007-03-17, 01:53 PM
Can someone please put together an abhorsen PrC for me? im thinking seven levels, a bell for each one?

dukexx
2007-03-17, 07:20 PM
sorry to double post, but a bell list is probably needed....

ranna, puts things to sleep

mosrael, flings you into death, things from death into life

kibeth, makes things move or move into death

dyrim, grants or removes speach from living or dead

belgaer, removes or grants free will to the dead

saraneth, binds others to your will

astarael, sends all who hear it into death

Rama_Lei
2007-03-17, 08:24 PM
Hmm... Abhorrsen seems more like a set of magic items, than a prestige class. But it could work as an arcane undead enemy.

Dhavaer
2007-03-17, 08:40 PM
I'd probably put Abhorsen as a template. Grants the ability to use Free Magic without being corrupted, maybe bonuses to using the bells. Pipes would probably be bells with lower save DCs. The ability to enter Death would be similar to Astral Projection. Alignment restriction of any non-evil, possibly non-chaotic.

Sage in the Playground
2007-03-17, 08:40 PM
Hmm... Abhorrsen seems more like a set of magic items, than a prestige class. But it could work as an arcane undead enemy.

No, its from a story. Abhorsen are necromancers who destroy undead. The bells are necromatic tools used in the creation and usage of undead. The Abhorsen use them to destroy undead.
All undead are a perversion of the natural order that constantly hunger for and consume life.

GryffonDurime
2007-03-17, 09:00 PM
Ah, I love the Old Kingdom...I actually tried to craft some DnD classes to suit a campaign there, complete with Abhorsens, Charter Mages, Free Magic Sorcerers, Charterskin Weavers and the like...I think I have the abilities I wrote up for the Abhorsen, but it was quite some time ago and I was -very- new to DnD...even still, they may prove somewhat helpful...maybe?

Ranna - Send 4+½ Abhorsen level HD of creatures into slumber. Undead are affected first, then living creatures. On a ring of less than 10, ringer must attempts a will save to prevent themselves from being forced into slumber.
Mosrael - Sends the wielder into Death at a rate of 1 Precinct per round rung. Each turn, 2HD + 2x Precinct’s level HD of undead are raised at the point where the Abhorsen entered Death.
Kibeth - Compells 2d6 HD of creatures to walk at the ringer’s behest. Affects undead first. Undead may be compelled to walk into death as if turned. On a ring of less than 10, ringer must attempts a will save to prevent themselves from being forced into Death.
Dyrim - Forces 4+½ Abhorsen Level HD of creatures to reveal information at the ringer’s request or to prevent them from speaking for 1 minute. On a ring of less than 10, ringer must attempts a will save to prevent themselves from being forced into silence for 1 minute.
Belgaer - Plys the mind of 4 + ½ Abhorsen level HD of creatures to render them mindless and dazed for 1d4 rounds. Affects undead first. On a ring of less than 10, ringer must attempts a will save to prevent themselves from being forced into madness for 1d6 minutes.
Saraneth - Plys the mind of 4 + ½ Abhorsen level HD of creatures as if under the influence of the Charm Monster spell for 1d6 rounds. On a ring of less than 10, ringer must attempts a will save to prevent themselves from being forced into servitude to the target for 1d6 rounds.
Astarael - Sends all who hear it into the 9th Precinct, to their Final Death. There is no save for Astarael, and even the deaf can hear it. Characters who pass beyond the 9th Gate may not be brought back in anyway.

Wow. Those were weak. Let me see if I can do better.

Rama_Lei
2007-03-17, 10:29 PM
No, its from a story. Abhorsen are necromancers who destroy undead. The bells are necromatic tools used in the creation and usage of undead. The Abhorsen use them to destroy undead.
All undead are a perversion of the natural order that constantly hunger for and consume life.
Yes, the fantasy trilogy of Sabriel, Lireael, Abhorrsen, and it's companion book, Over the Wall,, written by fantasy author Garth Nix. My post was a suggestion for adapting the concept into the game.

GryffonDurime
2007-03-17, 10:36 PM
Hmm...though not strictly related to the Abhorsen concept, just out of curiosity...how would everyone like a Magic System based on the Charter, where you'd learn "families" of Charter Marks instead of individual spells? The compiled spell list would detail what marks are needed for what spells, and you can cast anything you know all the marks for, though there'd still be an initial risk with new spells.

This could very well evolve into it's own setting.

Rama_Lei
2007-03-17, 10:45 PM
Hmm...though not strictly related to the Abhorsen concept, just out of curiosity...how would everyone like a Magic System based on the Charter, where you'd learn "families" of Charter Marks instead of individual spells? The compiled spell list would detail what marks are needed for what spells, and you can cast anything you know all the marks for, though there'd still be an initial risk with new spells.

This could very well evolve into it's own setting.
A setting would be excellent, but for know you can explain the charter families as spell schools.

GryffonDurime
2007-03-17, 10:59 PM
A setting would be excellent, but for know you can explain the charter families as spell schools.

That was part of the idea, but it seemed a bit...too broad. With regard to marks we know, we've explicitly heard about the marks for fire, lightning, sleep...stuff like that. We also know, from Sameth, that there should also be a mark for golden, purified fire. We know a little about Master Marks, and how they bind other marks together.

I'm just not sure. I think schools would be too broad a choice.

dukexx
2007-03-17, 11:43 PM
gods! i ask for a PrC i get people saying a setting should be made. it should, but i cant do it, im not good at that kinda thing. but, shouldn't we do the dog, mogget, yrael, and, gods forbid, orranis?