PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Advice on Playing Undead

Esprit15
2014-10-16, 08:44 PM
So my group has been playing an undead campaign for about, oh, 4 or 5 sessions now, and the GM realized that he had been kind of screwing us on the wealth by level (to be fair, leveling every session is fun in that it keeps things moving, but near impossible to keep wealth up with the pace of the game), so allowed everyone to by up some more items with a more correct wealth by level. This leads me to two questions:

1) What are some generally useful items to undead, and items that are traps (ie, look useful and turn out to be not nearly so)?

2) What would you give as advice to a player of an undead that differs from advice to a normal player? Besides your obvious weaknesses (vampires to sunlight, everyone to turning/destroying), what are the less obvious things that you wouldn't normally think about worrying about? How do you deal with these? This includes mechanical problems and RP problems.

OldTrees1
2014-10-16, 09:46 PM
1)
Undead use pretty much the same items as non Undead. Just don't get Amulets of Con or Items that duplicate Immunities you have from being Undead.

However you will want to make sure you get healing that works on you. Don't get a Wand of Cure Light Wounds :).

2)
Undead are very vulnerable to any Fort save that they are not immune to. Personally I buy Immunity to Disintegration(A Spellblade or castings of Greater Spell Immunity).
Undead are very vulnerable to Greater Turning. Talk with your DM as to what you can expect. You might want to invest in Turn Resistance.

Undead tend to have a social stigma. Either avoid the issue via Disguise or attempt social reform via Diplomacy.

Diachronos
2014-10-17, 12:28 AM
Is this D&D or Pathfinder? If it's Pathfinder, get some things to boost your Charisma (especially if you're a class that runs off of it), since Undead get their Charisma modifier in extra HP for every level they have. It's basically their version of Constitution, and arguably better if your character relies on high Charisma.

Esprit15
2014-10-17, 12:32 AM
Oops, sorry. No, 3.5, and none of us have Unholy Toughness.