PDA

View Full Version : Daze Limitations: Specific or General?

Kevingway
2014-10-16, 10:07 PM
Digging through Complete Warrior, I found this little nugget:

Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be dazed.

This applies to the Shield Slam feat, or rather, this is the text written there. The way it's worded implies that this is a general rule, yet other abilities that cause things to be dazed don't mention that critical-immune creatures are immune to the daze effect.

Would this even have implications as far reaching as playing as an undead Wilder, for example? Or is this feat just a specific rule that trumps some sort of unknown general clause?

Divide by Zero
2014-10-16, 10:18 PM
I'm fairly certain that what they meant to say was "cannot be dazed by this feat." In any case, a splatbook feat description isn't going to be the primary source for a status condition or creature type.

Raven777
2014-10-16, 11:06 PM
Trying to get inside the head of the writer, his train of thought was probably something like :

"This feat allows a combatant to slam their shield in a creature to daze them. Hmmm. I guess if a creature is not fazed by critical hits, it shouldn't be fazed by shields to the face either. I'll make an exception for them."

Make of that what you will.