PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Sapper, 3.5 base class (all comments appreciated)

Lvl 2 Expert
2014-10-17, 06:53 AM
Summary:
The sapper is a non-magical class who uses light weapons, in melee and thrown, combined with at least one other weapon or type of shield or armor of her own choosing. Her skill set is tuned to full-on action as well as construction and improvising ways to beat traps and puzzles. Sappers are often walking arsenals, as they keep throwing their weapons away. So, now there's some cool text in the little mouse-over preview.

Introduction:

I've never really played an RPG in my life. No, I don't know what went wrong. Mostly through comics like Goblins and of course Order of the Stick I have become interested in them though, and now I'm at a point where I probably know more about d&d than I have any business knowing. Which is of course why I decided it wasn't enough yet, and I wanted to try my hand at designing a class. (Hence the choice for 3.5, for which by far the most resources are available online.)

The idea for the sapper started out as a non-magical or low magic crafting class with a good melee ability, but during the creation process it moved away from there pretty quickly. The class as it lies before you can still be a good crafter, but it's also an expert in light weapons with a flexible and customizable combat style. On top of that this combat engineer is a skill monkey and tool user. She still makes objects, but they're often temporary constructions. The class is not very streamlined and optimized for one play style, rather it let's players fool around and have fun in with creative solutions. Along with the class I introduce some new class features and a new skill, which could be very powerful in the hands of the right player. I've aimed to give this class a "power level" comparable to the likes of the ranger and the rogue (about tier 4, in the unofficial but apparently pretty popular tier system), although I may have piled on the features just a little too thick...

The sapper should be fun as a standalone class, as a side track for other classes looking to branch out and even as a starting class for any character with a background as an artisan, outdoorsperson or engineer.

If anyone is confused about the name, a sapper or pioneer is a military engineer, rather than anything to do with sap. The name pretty much came last, after I knew what the class had to be like.

I'll gladly hear any comments, from high praise to "you suck", especially if you can find the time to tell me why I suck and how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Anyway:

The Sapper

Abilities:
Int, Dex and Str are important attributes for the sapper, generally speaking.

Alignment: Any.
The combat style of most sappers is pretty chaotic, but some have a very systematic approach to conquering obstacles, while others improvise more. As military style engineers sappers find work on all sides of the good-evil spectrum.

Starting Age: Moderate.

Hit Die: d10

Table: The Sapper

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st
+1

+0

+2

+0
Quick Draw, Useful Weapons, Combat Engineering

2nd
+2

+0

+3

+0
Two-Weapon Fighting

3rd
+3

+1

+3

+1
Point Blank Shot

4th
+4

+1

+4

+1
Combat Expertise

5th
+5

+1

+4

+1
Bonus Feat

6th
+6/+1

+2

+5

+2
Weapon of Choice, Mad Skills

7th
+7/+2

+2

+5

+2
Useful Weapons Crafting

8th
+8/+3

+2

+6

+2
Bonus Feat, 10-Foot Jump

9th
+9/+4

+3

+6

+3

10th
+10/+5

+3

+7

+3
Buy in Bulk/Craft in Bulk

11th
+11/+6/+1

+3

+7

+3
Bonus Feat

12th
+12/+7/+2

+4

+8

+4
Mad Skills

13th
+13/+8/+3

+4

+8

+4
Useful Weapons Power

14th
+14/+9/+4

+4

+9

+4
Bonus Feat

15th
+15/+10/+5

+5

+9

+5

16th
+16/+11/+6/+1

+5

+10

+5
15-Foot Jump

17th
+17/+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5
Bonus Feat

18th
+18/+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+6
Mad Skills

19th
+19/+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+6

20th
+20/+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+6
Bonus Feat

Class skills (6+Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level)
Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Listen (Wis), Pioneer (dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex)

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
The sapper is proficient with all light weapons and with light armor but not with shields.

Bonus feats:
When taking a bonus feat, only prerequisites based on base attack bonus and other feats apply. A sapper can select the following feats as her bonus feats:
Far Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run, Weapon Finesse, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack

Quick Draw, Two-Weapon Fighting, Point Blank Shot, Combat Expertise:
Starting at the levels listed in the table, The sapper is treated as having these feats even if she does not meet the normal prerequisites.

Useful Weapons:
Starting at level 1, the sapper can use light weapons as tools, and gain a +2 bonus to a skill check or ability checks for which a tool could be useful. Which weapon is appropriate for which task depends on damage type. For Climbing and digging the sapper uses a piercing weapon, for opening doors and carpentry related checks she uses bludgeoning weapons, slashing weapons are used for building improvised shelters and preparing food. Other checks go into the category that fits them best.
Light Weapons with a rope tied to them can also be used as a grappling hook. A bonus does not apply because the action would not be possible without a tool.
Weapons that do two types of damage at the same time cannot be used as any kind of tool except as a grappling hook. Spiked gauntlets, armor and shields cannot be used as tools at all. At this level, the sapper cannot use her weapons instead of heavy tools (10 pounds or more, for a medium creature), such as a miners pick, a large axe or a sledgehammer. Nor can she use them as artisan tools for crafting. At no level can she use them as extremely delicate tools, such as a lockpick set.

Until level 7, useful weapons cannot be used for crafting checks. After level 7 the sapper can use any combination of weapons that can do all three types of damage at will as artisan tools to prevent taking a penalty on crafting checks. Starting at this level, masterwork weapons can be used as masterwork tools for all checks, providing an extra (in most cases) +2 bonus to the check.

Starting at level 13, The sapper can use her light weapons in place of heavy tools, such as a miners pick, a large axe or a sledgehammer. She can now break rock, cut down large trees and perform other physically hard tasks using her equipment.

Combat Engineering:
A sapper using the skill Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int) has particularly great knowledge of military architecture and engineering. For knowledge checks involving military matters, such as designing a defensive position, finding the weak spot of an enemy fortress or discovering a way of destroying a siege engine, the sapper gets a +2 bonus on her skill checks. Any nonmilitary knowledge comes at a -2 penalty (unless the sapper has less than two ranks in the skill).

Weapon of Choice:
At level 6, the sapper can choose a single weapon (like a longbow or a bastard sword), shield (such as a light shield or a tower shield) or type of armor (like chainmail or full plate). She is now proficient with it, even if she does not have the usual prerequisites.

Mad Skills:
At level 6, 12 and 18 the sapper gains a permanent +3 bonus on a class skill of her choice. This bonus stacks with skill points, and any other bonuses that stack with each other, such as base ability bonus and bonuses for tool use. Alternatively, the sapper can pick any skill and from here on treat it as a class skill. The sapper cannot pick the same skill twice to give it a +6 bonus, but she can pick a skill that is not a standard class skill twice, to gain a +3 bonus in it the second time she picks that skill.

10-Foot Jump, 15-Foot Jump:
Starting at level 8 the sapper can instead of taking a 5-foot step take a 10-foot jump. The sapper does not touch the square she jumps over, and is not effected by caltrops or other hazards in that location. A 10-foot jump does provoke an attack of opportunity. The sapper cannot use a 10-foot jump if his speed has been lowered by armor or a heavy load. For all other purposes it functions like a 5-foot step.

Starting at level 16 the sapper can take a 15-foot jump using the same restrictions as for the 10-foot jump at level 8. She can also use a 10-foot jump (but not a 15-foot jump) without provoking an attack of opportunity. The sapper still cannot use a 10 or 15-foot jump if his speed has been lowered by armor or a heavy load.

Buy in Bulk/Craft in Bulk:
At level 10 the sapper can choose one of two advantages. Either she can have the ability to buy light melee weapons, light thrown weapons and ammunition for 80% of the standard price, or she can choose the ability to craft any object at a 50% higher speed, resulting in the work being complete in 2/3 of the time she would spend without this advantage. This ability only works on craft checks, not when using other skills like pioneer or use rope.

New skill

Pioneer (dex):
The pioneer skill can be used to build temporary constructions. These constructions are often made largely out of wood, but depending on the environment and the construction it can be substituted with for instance sod or ice. The pioneer skill can be used to build a shelter for the night, a raft or a temporary bridge. The objects created with the pioneer skill are not of the same quality as properly crafted items. Most of them are prone to wear and tear from the elements or collapsing under enemy attack. The pioneer skill cannot be used to create small precision crafted objects like personal weapons or handheld tools.

Table: Examples of Pioneer (Dex) Uses

Construction
DC
time

Simple shelter for 8 people
1 hour

Stretcher
1/2 hour

Defensive palisade
1 hour/15 foot

Raft for eight people
1 hour

Sturdy, insulated shelter for eight people
4 hours

Footbridge across a river
1 hour/15 foot

Small siege weapon
4 hours

Main material other than wood (typical)
+3

Construction time /2 (stackable)
+10

Synergy:
If you have 5 or more ranks in Pioneer, you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made to endure severe weather or other elements while stationary.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), you get a +2 bonus on Pioneer checks.

The sapper as a favored class:
Dwarfs and kobolds may choose to designate the sapper their favored class in place of their standard option (dwarf: fighter, kobold: sorcerer).

Epic Sapper

Table: The Epic Sapper
Hit Die: d10

Level
Special

Epic Bonus Feat

Epic Mad Skills

Epic Bonus Feat

Epic Bonus Feat

Epic Mad Skills

6 + Int modifier skill point per level

Epic Bonus Feat:
A sapper can choose any feat as an epic bonus feat, as long as she meets the regular prerequisites. Alternatively she can choose to take a bonus feat using the rules for a non-epic sapper.

Epic Mad Skills:
The epic sapper can choose a class skill at which she gains a +3 bonus or choose a non-class skill to turn into a class skill, like a normal sapper. She can also choose a skill she already took a +3 bonus in and elevate that bonus to +6, even if that skill is not a standard class skill for the sapper.

Lvl 2 Expert
2014-10-17, 06:54 AM
(Reserved for a list of changes or replies or stuff like that.)