PDA

View Full Version : What god would a Hellbred serve?

atemu1234
2014-10-17, 07:05 AM
More importantly, why would a LG god support them? I mean, they were evil beings in life who (basically) asked forgiveness at the last second. Even if they were partially forgiven, wouldn't they not be pure enough to become paladins?

hamishspence
2014-10-17, 07:24 AM
More importantly, why would a LG god support them? I mean, they were evil beings in life who (basically) asked forgiveness at the last second.

Alternatively - they were beings who, after accumulating a great deal of Corruption - repented, began a quest to atone - but died before achieving it.

The important parts are the "Repentant" and the "Have not accomplished atonement" - not how long the gap was between repentance and death.

Even if they were partially forgiven, wouldn't they not be pure enough to become paladins?
This is D&D - even demons have become LG and started taking levels in paladin - despite not having gotten rid of their own innate evil energy, represented by the [Evil] subtype. Example- the famous succubus paladin.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-17, 07:26 AM
Sometimes, a soul recognizes the great evil he committed in life and truly wishes to repent. Most of these unfortunates become spectres that haunt Dis, repenting only as they realize their true fate. Others ascend to the heavens, having sought forgiveness before it was too late. Hellbred fall in the middle. They repent in the moment before their condemnation to Hell, yet too late to find salvation. The lords of good and justice, suspicious that the condemned soul merely seeks escape for selfish reasons, instead reincarnate the individual to give him one last chance at salvation.

It's addressed why right in the first few lines. The ones that repent of their evil before they're sent to the hells. Hellbred are being given one more chance before being sent there. If they're truly repentant, there's no reason they couldn't dedicate themselves to being paladins.

Gwendol
2014-10-17, 08:01 AM
Looks like they should report to the "lords of good and justice". Depending on your setting there should be a few to choose from.

Psyren
2014-10-17, 08:11 AM
To even become a Hellbred you have to be sponsored by a good deity or power. So they all have one that's at least looking out for them.

Red Fel
2014-10-17, 08:45 AM
One of my favorite combos for Hellbred actually involves Bahamut, but technically any Good deity would do, as others have mentioned. Hellbred have fully cast off their wicked ways, and are willing to be almost suicidally brave in pursuit of justice and goodness; Good deities really dig that. Either the Hellbred fails and dies, in which case a hellbound soul goes where it's supposed to go and all is right with the cosmos, or the Hellbred succeeds, in which case a massive blow is struck for Good. Either way, it's a win-win for the Good deities.

Now, that Bahamut combo I mentioned is one of my favorite character concepts to date. Take Hellbred. Add Dragonborn template. This removes that irritating "if you die you go straight to the pit" racial feature of Hellbred. Basically, Hellbred gave the guy a second chance, and Bahamut pulled him from Hell's clutches completely. But if he ever goes south, he loses the Dragonborn template, which means he's hellbound again, and Hell is looking for him...

Point is, it's pretty easy stuff to do. You can pretty much open the book to a random page with a Good deity and come up with fluff for it. Have a Hellbred who was redeemed at the last second by the power of love? Sune. Wants to endure suffering to expiate his sins? Ilmater. Wants to become a symbol of goodness and compassion? Pelor. (Double word score if he was previously a worshiper of the Burning Hate.)