PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rising from the lower planes: Which fiends are most likely to become good?

Xuldarinar
2014-10-17, 07:10 AM
What type of fiend is the most likely to have an individual to become good-aligned? How might they become good? What would their approach to the good alignment be?

For those who do not know, or need a quick reminder, the types of fiends are; Asura, Daemon, Demodand, Demon, Devil, Div, Kyton, Oni, Qlippoth, and Rakasha.

atemu1234
2014-10-17, 07:12 AM
It's all relative. Lower power ones, too be honest, mostly because they are weaker than others, more likely to be subjugated and controlled by good.

However, sentient ones stand the chance of falling in love or trying to be good on a lark (see the famous Succubus Paladin).

Brookshw
2014-10-17, 07:22 AM
Since you were asking about PF specifically I figured I'd let you know Todd Stewart (PF developer who did most of their planes stuff) is hanging out in Afro's thread.

Larkas
2014-10-17, 07:51 AM
Judging by the sample available to us, Succubi. There are at least two in D&D history. Which kinda makes a pinch of sense for CHAOTIC Evil.

For those who do not know, or need a quick reminder, the types of fiends are; Asura, Daemon, Demodand, Demon, Devil, Div, Kyton, Oni, Qlippoth, and Rakasha.

Qlippoth...? Oh, you're talking PF, right? Then I have no idea.

hamishspence
2014-10-17, 09:29 AM
Or, at least 2 nonevil succubi - Fall-From-Grace is LN rather than Good.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-10-17, 10:17 AM
I'm in agreement that the greater likelihoods lie with corrupting fiends. The kinds that have to spend a great deal of time with beings of other alignments, learning how they think and what motivates them. It's just so much easier to start sympathizing with your foes when you hang out and talk with them, rather than lob fireballs at them from a thousand paces or animate their fallen into your horde.

I don't really think any given family of fiend is more or less likely to change alignment, but they would probably respond to different drives. I could imagine a devil slowly growing accustomed to the idea that its subjects are more likely to support its rule of law if they believe their voices are heard, and then you've got a slippery slope to the devil actually considering the common good. Or a demon being called up to tear down some edifice of oppression alongside other freedom fighters, then gaining exposure to the elation of victory and finding opportunities to bond with its companions.

The whole trick to this is that you have to find something that inspires an inherently destructive and selfish being to care about the common good. I like passing through a middle ground, of showing the fiend how appearing to care for others can help it more easily manipulate them to serve its own ends... then start sneaking in little snippets of idealism, or make plays at its emotions (fiends do have this tendency to be prone to outbursts of emotion).

Do you have a party that's trying to redeem a fiend? I really imagine they should start with mortals and work their way up.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-17, 10:28 AM
-Snip-

Thank you. That actually is quite helpful and narrows things down a bit. And, as much as I love hearing about everyone's favorite Succubus Paladin, its good to see some point of discussion be in favor of the concept but not have to touch base on her.

Do you have a party that's trying to redeem a fiend? I really imagine they should start with mortals and work their way up.

This question, as are most of my question posted here, are strictly academic. I would be delighted if they ever saw the table, but we shall see in the fullness of time.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-17, 11:29 AM
Pretty much what al-Azrad said. I mean, lets look at the Malconvoker for a sec (ya its 3.5 but bear with me). The whole point of the class using fiends to slaughter bad people, so it would make sense that eventually (if you keep summoning the same ones) that you might start rubbing off on them (or the other way around, but we know how that goes.)

Hell i once made a god whose Herald was an Erinyes that he met when he crashed into Hell (theres a lot of random backstory stuff on this, suffice it to say hes a NN god of Swamps, Battlemages (ie gishes) and Death) Basically he turned her away from evil by just being nice to her...... consistently. Thats the point. If someone is nice to a fiend once or twice, ok, it may get a bit confused but its probably not gonna change their outlook. However, if they are consistently treated nicely, and for seemingly no reason, then it might start to sink in that maybe they should stop being a jerk.