PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get martial weapon proficiency without losing spellcasting

RoboEmperor
2014-10-17, 08:46 AM
Anyone know of a way? I'm trying to get a PURE wizard to qualify for one of the many PrCs that require martial weapon proficiency, but I am at my wit's end. It's either take a +1 level adjustment and start as an outsider like aasimar or tiefling, or dip into fighter.

RolandDeschain
2014-10-17, 08:54 AM
Anyone know of a way? I'm trying to get a PURE wizard to qualify for a spellsword, but I am at my wit's end. It's either take a +1 level adjustment and start as an outsider like aasimar or tiefling, or dip into fighter.

Militia feat

RoboEmperor
2014-10-17, 08:56 AM
Militia feat

oh my GOD! That feat is PERFECT! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Psyren
2014-10-17, 08:58 AM
In case your DM doesn't like regional feats from FR, you can also take a 1-level dip into Dragonslayer.

RoboEmperor
2014-10-17, 09:06 AM
In case your DM doesn't like regional feats from FR, you can also take a 1-level dip into Dragonslayer.

oh my GOD! That is even better! It gives martial AND armor! How come I couldn't find this PrC in any of the gish handbooks I've read! THANKS!

2014-10-17, 09:26 AM
Alternatively (although this one reaches a bit further), outsiders get martial weapon proficiency for free, and some armor proficiencies based on the stat entry (it says "whatever type you're wearing).

The way to get this without losing levels is to take a planetouched race (aasimar, tiefling, or some other, less well known one), and take the savage progression. Each race has three progressions, the normal with outsider type and LA, the standard race with neither, and the savage progression, which has the outsider type and replaces the LA with a racial class level that you don't actually have to take. It gives some bonuses, but they're worthless compared to that extra casting level you'll have your entire career. Tiefling's better for wizard, but it gets less armor than the Aasimar does.

EDIT: Incidentally, I discovered this while trying to put together an entry for the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: Spellsword. Look it up, if you're interested in finding some other ways people have entered that stupid, stupid class without losing too much.

Psyren
2014-10-17, 09:42 AM
Another LA 0 Outsider race is the Neraph from Planar Handbook.

sideswipe
2014-10-17, 09:45 AM

damnit psyren! lol i been'd swordsaged

RoboEmperor
2014-10-17, 04:57 PM
EDIT: Incidentally, I discovered this while trying to put together an entry for the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: Spellsword. Look it up, if you're interested in finding some other ways people have entered that stupid, stupid class without losing too much.

Spellswords aren't stupid! It's the best class that gives -10 ASF as 1 level dip doesn't hinder spellcasting, just like how 1 level dip in dragonslayer gives all the fighter proficiencies without hindering spellcasting! However, I agree with you in the sense that spellswords have absolutely no place in high-op games. Gishes have no place in high-op games, which is why I am so adamant about not losing any caster levels XD. This char is like a half gish, no spellcasting level lost but no spell penetration power or spell focus power in exchange for higher BAB and AC.

Thanks!

Irk
2014-10-17, 05:45 PM
Ruathar loses no caster levels and get proficiencies and elf buddies.

RoboEmperor
2014-10-17, 06:28 PM
Ruathar loses no caster levels and get proficiencies and elf buddies.

Ruathar is only one martial weapon proficiency >.<

2014-10-17, 08:16 PM
Spellswords aren't stupid! It's the best class that gives -10 ASF as 1 level dip doesn't hinder spellcasting, just like how 1 level dip in dragonslayer gives all the fighter proficiencies without hindering spellcasting!

Oh, yes, I'm sure Spellsword is a delightful dip. I find it quite useful when making good gishes. That said, when you have to wrestle together a build that makes good use of as many levels of it as possible, you have to use some interesting tricks to be decent, and I just didn't have the char op chops to pull it off.

I do, however, love taking it to high levels in gestalt/tristalt, because Channel Spell is border-line broken, especially if you can get extra uses per day of it. You don't even have to get out of the PH to get some nasty spells to combine with that: Geas and Reverse Gravity will do just fine.

Petrocorus
2014-10-17, 11:09 PM
You have the aforementioned Dragonslayer 1 lvl dip. But there is also Master of Yuirwood from Unapproachable East too, difficult to qualify though. Maybe with Ruathar.
There is also the Illithid Slayer if your DM is ok to let you use an arcane adaptation of it.
And Ruathar, as said, gives you one martial weapon proficiency.

Otherwordly feat from PGtF make you a native outsider, so gives proficiencies. It's a regional feat, like Militia. It can be used on humans.

Planar Touchstone feat, from Planar Handbook can give you a lot of abilities. Choose Catalogue of Enlightenment and you get one cleric domain power. Select the War domain and it gives you one proficiency.

One single martial weapon proficiency is enough to enter Abjurant Champion or SwiftBlade.
The problem will rather be you BAB.

Divide by Zero
2014-10-17, 11:22 PM
There is also the Illithid Slayer if your DM is ok to let you use an arcane adaptation of it.

Even if they do, it loses a caster level at 1. For what it gives at that level, you'd be better off dipping a different martial class anyway.

Petrocorus
2014-10-17, 11:28 PM
Even if they do, it loses a caster level at 1. For what it gives at that level, you'd be better off dipping a different martial class anyway.

Oups, i forgot that. Same frame than the EK.

Andezzar
2014-10-18, 12:39 AM
EDIT: Incidentally, I discovered this while trying to put together an entry for the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: Spellsword. Look it up, if you're interested in finding some other ways people have entered that stupid, stupid class without losing too much.It is also a so called martial prestige class from Complete Warrior. You lose the benefits all class features as soon as you no longer meet all the prerequisites. There is no way to get them back. So make sure how RAW your DM uses that book. If he goes RAW, make sure to never ever cast the last of your 2nd level spells.

In case your DM doesn't like regional feats from FR, you can also take a 1-level dip into Dragonslayer.It requires tow (semi) useless feats (dodge, iron will) and two ranks in a skill that is most likely cross class for you (tumble).

Taveena
2014-10-18, 08:00 AM
You lose the benefits all class features as soon as you no longer meet all the prerequisites.

Ur-Priest requires you to have no divine spellcasting at all. It grants divine spellcasting.
Dragon Disciple requires you not to be of the Dragon type. It makes you a Dragon type.

There are more! But these are the two I know off the top of my head. For the sake of sanity, you're best off ignoring that ruling altogether.

Curmudgeon
2014-10-18, 08:12 AM
Ur-Priest requires you to have no divine spellcasting at all. It grants divine spellcasting.
Dragon Disciple requires you not to be of the Dragon type. It makes you a Dragon type.
Neither of those prestige classes are in a book with a "maintain entry requirements" rule for PrCs. Only Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane have rules like that, and those rules apply only to the prestige classes in those books. Also note that those two rules are substantially different. The Complete Warrior rule has you lose the benefits of all class abilities; when you meet the entry requirements again, the benefits come back because you've still got the abilities. The Complete Arcane rule has you lose only special abilities (i.e., those abilities under Special in the class table, so nothing under Spells per Day/Spells Known) — but those lost abilities are gone forever because there's no recovery mechanic.

Anyway, there's no impact on Ur-Priest or Dragon Disciple.

Andezzar
2014-10-18, 08:31 AM
The Complete Warrior rule has you lose the benefits of all class abilities; when you meet the entry requirements again, the benefits come back because you've still got the abilities.I disagree. The CW rule does not provide a recovery method. So you have abilities without benefits. So for example the Spellsword would retain the Ignore Spell Failure (EX) ability, but would lose the benefit (i.e. actually reducing spell failure) as soon as he no longer meets the prerequisites. Since there is no method for recovering the benefit, the ability becomes a meaningless set of words on the character sheet. because he no longer has rules what to do with that ability.

Otherwise I totally agree with Curmudgeon. The two distinct rules from CW and CA do not apply to any PrC outside those books.