PDA

View Full Version : Mei Fatum, when failure is not an option

Stormthorn
2007-03-17, 03:11 PM
Ok, im not sure what this is or what to call it. Its based upon the idea that PCs (And some NPCs) are destined for great things and that in extreme situations people can preform inhuman feats of skill but at the cost of massive bodily strain. This is a rough draft of an ability that all PCs and a few select NPC would have. It is designed ot be used to turn the tides in a hopless situation or make success more likely in a situation where the death of a hero is an acceptable loss when measured against what is at stake. (Example: If this dude, X is not killed before the ritual ends in a few hours, Y cities will be level by hordes of rampaging demons, and Z lives will be lossed.)

Mei Fatum

Activation: The character may attempt to call upon glory in some way as a full round action as long as they can rationalize it to themselves and in doing so activates this ability. ((This is my fate; Please, (deity name) grant me the strength to do this one task; I will have my vengeance if it’s the last thing I do!; ect.)) The odds of the activation succeeding vary depending upon the power and resolve of the character. Each attempt has a 10% + 5% per level + (5 * Charasma modifier) chance of succeeding. If the attempt fails a new attempt may not be made for one hour. If the attempt succeeds the ability may not be used again for 3d6 months and until the character has made up the level loss as a result of the affect ending.

Affects: The character gains 2 temporary hit points and +1 to all saves against mind and death affects per level. The character also gains +2 strength, constitution, and Charisma. The character acts as though he had the Die Hard feat. The character is immune to fatigue and exhaustion. The character gains + (1/4 level) to hit and damage. All spells the character casts are empowered. If reduced to less than 25% man hit points the character gains fast healing of one until his hit points rise over 25%. If reduced to less than 50% man hit points the character gains damage reduction of 1/4 their level until his hit points rise over 50%. After 1+ ¼ character level hours (max of 6) these affects end and the character is immidiatly exhausted and losses one level.

geez3r
2007-03-17, 05:34 PM
I like it. The idea of the hero suddenl pulling out a last reserve of strength and managing to come back and win is really common, and this is a good mechanic for it. The only thing I don't like about it is that the character dies at the end of it. Don't get me wrong, they should be majorly inconvienced at the end of this, but not dead, or at least give them a saving throw to not die. But that's my 2 cents, otherwise, well done.

Stormthorn
2007-03-17, 09:35 PM
Thanks, I made it so the character died because in DnD death isnt to much of an inconveniance. Im gonna replace that as soon as i can think of a better penalty.

Fizban
2007-03-17, 11:48 PM
While death is a minor inconvenience in DnD, I still find it amusing that they die after a few hours, and the ability can't be used for however many months. Assuming they get raised.

Anyway, I'd make them lose a character level, and the ability cannot be used until they reach the next level after the one they used it at. So say a lv10 character invokes Mei Fatum, at the end of the duration he falls to lv9 and is unable to invoke it again until he reaches lv11. This may be combined with waiting period or not. One could also charge more levels, considering that one level isn't normally much of a difference. Since you're assuming that they guy will be raised by his party afterwards, it makes little sense to add a "the hero may not be raised" clause.

The reason for this is first that if the ability assumes they will be raised, why not just skip the middle man and simply cost them a character level. It a lot more flavorful for a single hero rather than a group, and if there's someone who will just cast raise dead once they guy drops it takes a lot of the heroism out of it.

I'm also having trouble deciding if I think your bonuses are too low. At the very least you should drop from maximise to empower, as it is there's very little reason for anyone but a blaster caster to use it.

Stormthorn
2007-03-18, 12:29 PM
Alright, i modified it so that the character becomes exhausted and losses a level rather than dies. I also made it so that they have to make up that level loss to use the ability again but i shortened the waiting period that accompanies the above condition.

Fizban
2007-03-18, 06:15 PM
Okay, next I'd have the attack, damage, fast healing, and DR all scale with level as well. Say 1/4 level on attack and damage, 1/4 level fast healing when hp is below 25% and 1/4 level of DR/- when hp is below 50% max. Otherwise it's pretty much pointless after level 8 or so.

Stormthorn
2007-03-18, 07:37 PM
Ok, i did some of that, but i dont want to go overboard with the fast healing. Its really potent stuff. I only added it to keep you alive for a few more hits if it looked like you were about to die despite having Mei Fatum active.

Stormthorn
2007-03-20, 06:16 PM
-i dont wanna let this one die until i recieve more imput-

Caduceus
2007-03-20, 06:23 PM
It's like the classic anime "going back to the fight with more resolve/new powers/the power of cheese" thing, given DnD rules.

I.

Love.

It.