PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven is to Dwarf as ? is to Kobold

Arkady
2014-10-17, 02:25 PM
As the title suggests, I am trying to think of the proper word for where the ? mark is. Like something a dwarf makes is dwarven, and something made by an elf is elven, is there a good word for something made by a kobold? Something like koboldish? kobolden? just kobold?

Red Fel
2014-10-17, 02:38 PM
As the title suggests, I am trying to think of the proper word for where the ? mark is. Like something a dwarf makes is dwarven, and something made by an elf is elven, is there a good word for something made by a kobold? Something like koboldish? kobolden? just kobold?

I'd go with just Kobold. Consider some traditional examples: "This hammer is a masterful example of dwarven craftsmanship." Craftsdwarfship? You get the idea, it works. "This tree has seen years of elven history." Again, fine. "The orcish people demand war, and blood!" Makes sense.
Now, plugging in the appropriate racial substitute: "This hammer is a masterful example of kobold craftsmanship." Works. "This tree has seen years of kobold history. Works. "The kobold people demand war, and blood!" Works.
So I go with Kobold.

Vitruviansquid
2014-10-17, 02:47 PM
Just "kobold" works best in my mind, too.

As a side note, I often use "Elfish" and "Dwarfish" instead of "Elven" and "Dwarven"

draken50
2014-10-17, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't it be Draconic?

NowhereMan583
2014-10-17, 03:48 PM
I generally use "kobold" as well. After all, "human" is both a noun and an adjective -- why not "kobold"?

Ceiling_Squid
2014-10-17, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't it be Draconic?

Nah, draconic refers specifically to dragons.

Kobolds may be related in some way, and speak the draconic language , but it'd be like using the term "English" to refer to all english-speaking peoples.

sktarq
2014-10-17, 04:00 PM
If "Kobold" doesn't work for you (though I'd recommend it) id give "Koboldi" as a second option.

Anonymouswizard
2014-10-17, 04:36 PM
My first instinct would be koboldic, but that's not exactly the easiest fit for English.

Another idea is kobolt, which I personally prefer, but might cause confusion (this is a kobolt dagger) depending on how you pronounce it. .

Also, I also prefer to use elfish and dwarfish.

2014-10-17, 05:12 PM
This brings up more interesting questions.

What do you use for other races?

Mind Flayers?

Drow?

Ixitxhactil?

Sidmen
2014-10-17, 05:29 PM
Just "kobold" works best in my mind, too.

As a side note, I often use "Elfish" and "Dwarfish" instead of "Elven" and "Dwarven"

Huh, I tend to use Elvish and Dwarvish. With a strong "v" sound instead of a "f" sound.

I concur with the general attitude: just like "human", you should just use "kobold".

Kleitor
2014-10-17, 05:33 PM
Id agree with what most other people have said that just simply kobold is probably the way to go with this

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-17, 05:49 PM
This brings up more interesting questions.

What do you use for other races?

Mind Flayers?

Drow?

Ixitxhactil?

mindflayer: illithid

drow: drow

ixitxhactil: ixitxhactilano

TeflonSam1
2014-10-18, 09:55 PM
I like koboldic.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-18, 10:17 PM
I'm just making this up on the spot, but I'll say... Kobolgen.

Beleriphon
2014-10-18, 10:46 PM
ixitxhactil: ixitxhactilano

If that's the monster I'm thinking of: ixitxhactiltlamantli, since the suffix refers to foldable or stackable things.

Inevitability
2014-10-19, 12:48 AM
Kobold makes sense, although I sometimes use Koboldian too.

Altair_the_Vexed
2014-10-19, 07:13 AM
Kobold is a german word, so I'd say if you don't want to go with "kobold", then use "koboldgen"

EccentricCircle
2014-10-19, 05:36 PM
I'd have to agree with sticking with the correct ish german term.
Although Koboldic does sound quite cool.

Anyone know if Ixitxachitl comes from Mexica and Nahuatl roots, it kind of sounds like it should, but I don't know enough about mesoamerican myth.

2014-10-19, 05:52 PM
If that's the monster I'm thinking of: ixitxhactiltlamantli, since the suffix refers to foldable or stackable things.

We're talking about the evil manta rays.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-19, 09:37 PM
I'm just making this up on the spot, but I'll say... Kobolgen.

Kobold is a german word, so I'd say if you don't want to go with "kobold", then use "koboldgen"

Wait... did my random made-up guess really almost coincide with an actual thing that made sense? Damn, I'm good! :smalleek::smallcool:

emeraldstreak
2014-10-19, 09:50 PM
Koboldesque