PDA

View Full Version : Martial Study clarification please o.o

Petrakiss
2014-10-17, 05:38 PM
Hey all,

Benefit
When you gain this feat, you must choose a discipline of martial maneuvers, such as Desert wind. The key skill for the chosen discipline becomes a class skill for all of your classes (current and future).
Select any maneuver from the chosen discipline for which you meet the prerequisite. If you have martial adept levels, this maneuver becomes one of your maneuvers known. If you do not have martial adept levels, you can use this maneuver once per encounter as a martial adept with an initiator level equal to 1/2 your character level. If you do not have martial adept levels when you take this feat, and you later gain a level in a class that grants maneuvers known, these new maneuvers can only be used once per encounter and have no recovery method. If you later gain levels in a martial adept class (crusader, swordsage, or warblade), you use the recovery method for maneuvers learned a a result of those class levels, but your previous maneuvers (gained through this feat or through prestige class levels) do not gain a recovery method.
A maneuver learned through this feat cannot be exchanged for a different maneuver if you are a crusader, swordsage, or warblade. Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it.

Special
You can take this feat up to three times. Each time you take it after the first, you gain one of two benefits. You can choose a new discipline, gaining one of its maneuvers and its key skill as a class skill, as described above. Alternatively, you can choose a maneuver from a discipline to which you have already gained access by means of this feat. In either case, you must meet the maneuver's prerequisite. A fighter can select Martial Study as a bonus feat.

Ok so my friend ( torrasque666 ) is saying:

"Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it." The reason it says that for Crusaders, Swordsages, and Warblades are because they are the only classes that learn maneuvers naturally, and thus have a way to change them."

But whats conflicting with me (sorry i'm a little slow o.o) is this:
"A maneuver learned through this feat cannot be exchanged for a different maneuver if you are a crusader, swordsage, or warblade. Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it."

So dosnt this only apply "If" you a crusader, swordsage, or warblade? If your not one of those classes and you take this feat then the "feat cannot be exchanged/Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it" dosnt apply to you?

My friend is probably right but I just need clarification because the wording to me seems to interact the effect apply s to those 3 classes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LTwerewolf
2014-10-17, 05:47 PM
Just like extra spell, the maneuver you get can't be changed once you get it unless you have a way of replacing the feat like a dark chaos shuffle or chameleon class. The martial adepts have a mechanic that allows them to change theirs and is not specific as to which they may or may not change.

Petrakiss
2014-10-17, 05:58 PM
Just like extra spell, the maneuver you get can't be changed once you get it unless you have a way of replacing the feat like a dark chaos shuffle or chameleon class. The martial adepts have a mechanic that allows them to change theirs and is not specific as to which they may or may not change.

Ah, well crud lol I knew torrasque666 was right XD but the wording for me is what conflicted my brain >.<.

Ok so for aruguments say If a level 16 fighter wanted to learn a disacpline, say the desert winds and it was a level 4. So because his a non martal class, for determining the Initiator Level it is half the class level so he would be a Initiator Level of 8 which covers 4th manuvers/stances and below (1-4th). Now if he wants to learn Searing Charge (4th) but it needs( (One Desert Wind maneuver) does this mean that I would need to get another martal study feat so I can then expand a desert manuver towards this?.

You can take this feat up to three times. Each time you take it after the first, you gain one of two benefits. You can choose a new discipline, gaining one of its maneuvers and its key skill as a class skill, as described above. Alternatively, you can choose a maneuver from a discipline to which you have already gained access by means of this feat. In either case, you must meet the maneuver's prerequisite. A fighter can select Martial Study as a bonus feat.

So in all up If I got 3x Martial Study and 2x Martial Stance, then that would mean I can get the Searing charge?

LTwerewolf
2014-10-17, 06:21 PM
Basically yes. Honestly it ends up way better just taking a single level of one of the classes by higher levels. If they're allowing martial study, they're more than likely going to allow the classes themselves.

Elkad
2014-10-17, 08:18 PM
Basically yes. Honestly it ends up way better just taking a single level of one of the classes by higher levels. If they're allowing martial study, they're more than likely going to allow the classes themselves.

For melee types anyway. Using Martial Study for Mind over Body on a caster is just one example of decent uses of the feat.

LTwerewolf
2014-10-17, 08:23 PM
Even then, you can boost the crap out of concentration and take insightful strike as well as mind over body and do a very large amount of damage and be nigh immune to fort things. Opens up the possibility of jade phoenix mage.

Elkad
2014-10-17, 08:27 PM
Nope, not trading a caster level just to pick up a couple maneuvers.
A feat I can usually afford.

DarkSonic1337
2014-10-17, 09:52 PM
Novice Ring of Diamond Mind

Why take a feat when you can have it on an item? :smallcool:

Divide by Zero
2014-10-17, 09:57 PM
"Exchanged" is referring to the ability martial adepts have when they level up to trade out old maneuvers known for new ones (similar to the sorcerer). It means you can't trade the one you got from the feat when you do that. Other classes can't do that anyway, so it isn't relevant to them.

malonkey1
2014-10-17, 09:58 PM
I should also note that there are retraining rules in...PHBII, I believe? So you could conceivably retrain the feat into the same feat offering a different maneuver (although you may have to retrain some of your skill ranks as well).

Petrakiss
2014-10-18, 04:13 AM
So is it like this for a fighter class taking this feat:

(non swordsage class)

To get Searing Charge which is a 4th maneuver and requires (One Desert Wind maneuver) I do..

Initiator Level of 8 =4th level and below maneuvers

1) I take 1 Martial Study in desert wind maneuver:
2) I then take another Martial Study to get Searing Charge by forging (One Desert Wind maneuver) for its requirement?

----------------------------------------------------

So if thats how it goes then is this right too?

Martial Study = For obtaining maneuvers
Martial Stance = For obtaining stances

----------------------------------------------------

Also warm chocolate cake, dripping with hot caramel and adding a scoop of cold vanilla ice-cream ........ :3

DarkSonic1337
2014-10-18, 10:30 AM
4th level maneuvers only require Initiator Level 7. So with no Swordsage levels you'd need to be level 14.

Not sure what you mean by forging, but yes since searing charge requires one desert wind maneuver, you'd need to obtain one first, either through martial study or by getting a "desert wind cloak."