PDA

View Full Version : DM Help: Names, builds, campaign stuff

JackRackham
2014-10-17, 07:18 PM
I'm putting together a campaign, and I need help with names.

As anyone who's read my recent posts may have noticed, I'm sick of my current DM. In fact, I'm so sick of it, and so frustrated by the way he runs a game, that I have an overwhelming urge to put together a game EXACTLY the way it should be done.

This campaign world is going to be fairly vanilla. I've been playing around with concept worlds off and on for a couple years now, and I want to get back to story and character (not that they can't go hand-in-hand, just that your campaign disintegrates if the players don't love your concept).

The basic idea behind the campaign (This is fluid) is a hidden pyramid of control utilizing leadership, control of undead, and probably homebrewed mind-control rituals that control fey (or something). Mechanically, I'm talking about the leadership cheese where the cohorts and followers also take leadership, control undead, etc.

At the top of the pyramid is a party of adventurers who are themselves acting at the behest of a demon-prince (or a balor, if I decide I want the party to kill the demon). So, I guess there are four pyramids. Anyway, what's ultimately going on is that this party is infiltrating the power structures of the world to eventually lay the ground for a fiendish (or Drow, but fiends feel more likely) invasion. The underlings are not necessarily aware of this ambition, but are bound, in some way, to the chain of loyalty and control.

Structurally, the idea is that it appears to be a fairly basic low-level story at first. The party is sent to hunt down a necromancer in a cave, or there have been a series of disappearances and the party tracks it down to a village big man. Or maybe they are sent to find out why travelers have been disappearing lately in an enchanted forest inhabited by normally harmless (if mischievous) fey.

The party will develop an attachment to the plot organically, long before they suspect that they are involved in something so sinister and big. Ultimately, they will find clues on bad guys they beat that lead them up the pyramid. At some point, hopefully they figure out a way to jump ahead and to realize that the pyramid of power they are following is one of four, and they can skip to murderizing the evil party members (one at a time?) and figuring out what's behind them. Whether they want to kill the fiend (or whatever) or they're satisfied with undermining the plot is anyone's guess.

TL/DR: A party in league with fiends abuses leadership and necromancy to gain followers with leadership and necromantic abilities, infiltrating the power structures of the world. The PCs murder their way to the top.

I intend for this to be an ongoing post, as I come across those handful of names that really have to be right, but that I just can't quite put a finger on.

DECIDED: Reginald Umber

First up is an aging melee-type (human; in his 60's). He's a local war-hero, gregarious and lovable in the way that Greatjon Umber from "A Song of Ice and Fire" was. Or, maybe he's something of a combination of Greatjon Umber and an older Robert Baratheon. He's a tough old bastard, still powerfully built, but paunchy and beginning to weaken. He'll say bawdy things and make ribald jokes and act like a badass and the party will love him.

So, of course he's a bad guy. He's involved with the evil pyramid scheme and knows that this organization is nefarious, although he will express genuine regret if the party breaks him. If the party fights him, I plan for him to be several levels ahead of them, but with low DEX and CON. He'll hit hard, but won't last.

As far as names go, I'm looking for something kind of strong and regal, maybe a little traditional, but not too common. It can't be anything that feels too low-brow or even the tiniest bit soft. It should probably sound English. Maybe something with a strong R, or something with hard K or G sounds that still manages not to sound too brutish. Robert and Richard are too common, but the right feel.

Bard: Marlo Alain. 43-year-old human male. I'm currently trying to decide what sort of PrC to give him.

Sorceror: Avrae Teneth, adult female 1/2 dragon (green). Necromancer, but I'm trying to decide what the rest of her spell selection will look like.

Cleric: Hilario Garcia. 38-year-old human male. His name is intentionally all wrong for a cleric focused on necromancy.

Blackguard: Merick Martel; 45-year-old human male; he should look and talk like a classic Paladin. I'm thinking adamantium full-plate, but plated in gold. I'm actually using Pathfinder Antipaladin for the class, in order to allow him to dabble in necromancy.

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-17, 07:30 PM
A simple tip: names tend to be forgotten. Player made nicknames stick. Just use a random name generator to make a name and then give info about the person.

The BBEG for one of my active campaigns is literally "John Johnson"... Only one player remembers that name and simply translates it to "The guy who wants to...." for the rest of the party every time he comes up. Oh, and they call the king "Mr King Dude Sir" when he isn't around in memory of a character's failed diplo check.

afroakuma
2014-10-17, 07:34 PM
Rex, Gregor, Reginald, Reuben, Glenn, Kristoph, Rufus, Rudolph, Roderick...

Val666
2014-10-17, 07:37 PM
Reiner, Rod, Ray, Raster, Lollipop, Ruben, Spencer, Stain

RolandDeschain
2014-10-17, 08:26 PM
Reiner, Rod, Ray, Raster, Lollipop, Ruben, Spencer, Stain

Stain.

Definitely Stain

Ken Murikumo
2014-10-17, 09:29 PM
http://www.namegenerator.biz/

http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator

Twilightwyrm
2014-10-17, 09:55 PM
A simple tip: names tend to be forgotten. Player made nicknames stick. Just use a random name generator to make a name and then give info about the person.

The BBEG for one of my active campaigns is literally "John Johnson"... Only one player remembers that name and simply translates it to "The guy who wants to...." for the rest of the party every time he comes up. Oh, and they call the king "Mr King Dude Sir" when he isn't around in memory of a character's failed diplo check.

I'll partially second this. By all means give him a memorable name, but especially for a character with a legendary reputation like this, he should have a memorable in universe nickname. It has been pointed out to me, and I'm inclined to agree, one effective thing you see a lot in the Song of Ice and Fire book series is notable nicknames of the characters. "The Imp", "The Mountain that Rides", "Lord Snow", "The Kingslayer", "The Hound", "The Onion Knight", "The Red Viper", "The Young Wolf", "The Marcher Lord" the list goes on. Giving him a nickname such as this will do a lot towards making him a memorable character.

Kymme
2014-10-17, 11:08 PM
The Name Smasher (http://springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/namesmasher.htm) is always a good choice if you can't think of anything. I use it all the time. Here are some names that popped up after a few clicks:

Hayloff, Reiland, Morius, Okrin, Rickam, Morrtar, Thane...

It's all randomly generated, so you never get the same name twice.

JackRackham
2014-10-18, 01:20 AM
Reiland, Gregor and Roderick are all potentially perfect. Thanks, guys. I'll look at those links and decide on a name in the morning.

Also, yeah, I know the PCs forget or butcher most names (It's Bad Carl, not Fat Carl, Goddamn it!!). But they also give a look when a name doesn't fit. It breaks verisimilitude (for me as well). And there are always the handful that get remembered: the bartenders Carlsbad and Harl, for example.

Petrocorus
2014-10-18, 12:43 PM
Khorne!

The other three of your evil party being of course: Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Nurgle.

More seriously, i like Henri, Laurent, Roland, Ronan, Charles, Karl.

You can look at the list of merovingian kings (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9rovingiens#Chronologie_et_territoires) for some inspiration.

Or at the Sumerian King List (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumerian_King_List).

I also remeber a name from Magic that i liked: Sol'Kanar The Swamp King

JackRackham
2014-10-18, 01:45 PM
He's technically not a member of the evil party. He's just one of the many pawns (or maybe a rook?) in their pyramid scheme/secret organization.

Also, update: This guy has a local rival for influence named Randisson Belfrey, who's more of a classic scheming noble and not very likable. I think he-who-has-not-yet-been-named is going to give the party their first mission. He'll send them to investigate some smallish local problem, as a means of framing his rival and expanding his influence over a neighboring town. I haven't worked out the details, but maybe they'll find a letter from someone higher up the chain talking about the need to remove "the big man" in order to bring the valley under their control. It will be a real letter, but "the big man" will refer to Belfrey, not the as-yet-nameless-one. The two towns will control access to the valley.

dascarletm
2014-10-18, 07:46 PM
I like Brennard. It's got the R, but doesn't lead with it. I find the B's tend to be a lil more approachable too.

Gerard. Pronounced with a soft G of course.

Rickard is good too.

I really like names that end in ard.

JackRackham
2014-10-19, 11:15 AM
Those are good names, but the wrong feel for this guy. This guy *should* be imposing, right up until he yells from across the room to get the new guys a round of mead and make room for them on the bench. He's the sort of guy who's imposing, knows it, and knows exactly how much people love people who bridge that divide for them.

dascarletm
2014-10-19, 01:11 PM
In that case perhaps Bollgraff or something slightly dwarven or viking sounding may do the trick

OttoVonBigby
2014-10-19, 01:48 PM
Reginald.
And FWIW, my go-to for name generating is the Wikipedia "Random Article" button. I just bastardize the weirdest things I find there.

Madhava
2014-10-19, 02:04 PM
My DM uses the NHL roster for on-the-spot NPC names. It actually works.

There's an good mix of Anglo, French, & Slavic/Russian surnames... and since he's the only one of us who seriously follows hockey, they usually aren't familiar to us. A handful of the eastern-Prussian-sounding names make for good dwarf names.

Prior to this, most of our world's dwarves sounded vaguely Swedish; names like Svante, Tage, Hjalmar, et cetera.

Petrocorus
2014-10-19, 02:10 PM
Prior to this, most of our world's dwarves sounded vaguely Swedish; names like Svante, Tage, Hjalmar, et cetera.

In France, we have a big tendency to give Scandinavian name to dwarves, especially in Warhammer where German names are used for the casual human.

JackRackham
2014-10-20, 08:34 PM
Okay, I decided on Reginald Umbre for the first name. Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys.

JackRackham
2014-10-21, 04:05 PM
Side question: If a wizard is scrying another spellcaster while he/she prepares spells, can he/she make a spellcraft check to know what spells are being prepared? And, does he/she take a penalty to the check if the other spellcaster is, for example, a cleric (or a wizard if the scryer is a cleric, etc)?

EDIT: Spellcraft checks, plural. Obviously one per spell.

beforemath
2014-10-21, 04:38 PM
Side question: If a wizard is scrying another spellcaster while he/she prepares spells, can he/she make a spellcraft check to know what spells are being prepared? And, does he/she take a penalty to the check if the other spellcaster is, for example, a cleric (or a wizard if the scryer is a cleric, etc)?

EDIT: Spellcraft checks, plural. Obviously one per spell.

A Spellcraft check (20 + spell level) would allow the scryer to "Decipher a written spell without using read magic."
Using the read magic spell through the 7th level Greater Scrying spell would also allow the scryer to read the spellbook.

Unless the scryer knows exactly when the wizard is preparing his spells, Scrying (lvl4) has too short of a duration to watch him until he prepares his spells. The scryer would need to use Greater Scrying and devote a great amount of time to watching the wizard.

A Spellcraft check (25 + spell level, 29 for Scrying and 32 for Greater Scrying) allows the target to identify that the spell was cast on him/her.

A side-effect of this usage would be that high-level wizards would constantly be on the lookout for other wizards so that they could try to "steal" their spells. Consequently, every wizard would invest in anti-scrying countermeasures as soon as possible in order to have an edge over other wizards.

JackRackham
2014-10-21, 05:14 PM
I try not to apply PC-level paranoia to NPCs. Even wizards. Now, if it's a member of the Big Bad Evil Party, he might have basic warding to alert him of someone scrying on him. But there's no Wizard in the party. Only a Cleric and a Sorceror. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

JackRackham
2014-10-22, 08:43 PM
I'm trying to remember the Bard PrC that gives level 9 casting and drawing a blank. Something-song something? Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Alternatively, is there any way to get animate dead and other undead-making spells on a bard? I'm kinda going for a thing here with these guys.

EDIT: Am I thinking of Sublime Chord? Or is there another PrC out there I'm just blanking on?

Reprimand
2014-10-22, 09:15 PM
It's sublime chord yes.

JackRackham
2014-10-22, 09:46 PM
Okay, but the other one on my brain is still buzzing at the edge of consciousness. What is that PrC that's geared toward rogue-bard?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I'm thinking of the bard-druid PrC. And I'll be able to find that, easily. Fochlucan Lyrist. That one.

Petrocorus
2014-10-22, 10:04 PM
Okay, but the other one on my brain is still buzzing at the edge of consciousness. What is that PrC that's geared toward rogue-bard?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I'm thinking of the bard-druid PrC. And I'll be able to find that, easily.

Fatemaker from Planar Handbook has this kind of feel, but i'm not sure that what you're talking about.
The Bard-Druid PrC is Fochlucan Lyrist (CAdv).

As for undead-making spell, Sublime Chord (CArc) let you learn spells from the Wiz spell list. So does Lyric Thaumaturge (CM).

JackRackham
2014-10-23, 12:52 PM
I'm planning the first adventure arc now, a dungeon-crawl, and I'm AFB. The main enemy is a level 6 cleric, a necromancer. I've figured out that this necromancer controls 12 orc skeletons, 6 ogre skeletons, and 6 troll skeletons. He has all the relevant corpsecrafter feats, so the skeletons get an additional +4 Str, +2 NA, +2 hp/HD and do +1d6 cold damage on each attack. I believe the Orc skeletons ended up with around 20 Str and 23 AC and wield falchions. The troll skeletons and ogre skeletons have greatclubs, 27 and 25 Str, respectively, and AC in the low-20s. I'm trying to figure ECL for each. Any suggestions?

Related: I intended to start the party at level 3 or 4 and have them level up at least once before the necromancer, but now I'm wondering if level 3-4 characters will just get one-shotted by the ogres/trolls.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it, I'm starting to suspect the Orc skeletons have been buffed to around CR 2-3. They should be able to 2-shot level 3 characters, their AC is high enough that level 3s shouldn't hit more than half the time, and not every level 3 melee type is going to 1-shot them as-is (14 hp).