PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate price for a Bag of Devouring

Jeff the Green
2014-10-17, 08:54 PM
I know that it has no price because it's not actually an item, but what would be a fair one?

With a box
2014-10-17, 09:00 PM
Make someone unable to resurrected (and uncloneable) is usefull. It might be a good body disintegrater

Chaosvii7
2014-10-17, 09:09 PM
Depends on who's buying and who's selling. If the party is just going to take the bag without identifying it, and then stumble into the consequences of the bag by proxy then they kind of deserve it, but the only thing it should cost them is a few items. If they turn around and start using to devour people, then that will warrant some attention from something that will either slap them on the wrists or outright destroy the bag.

But if you're running a party that wants one, then your price should be outrageous and the drawbacks of the bag particularly clever. A bag of Devouring that's linked to a being that consumes whatever the bag would devour, making it more powerful with every use seems appropriate for those who are actively seeking the bag. And of course it should cost a king's ransom to have it just randomly fall into the lap of somebody who is known to be looking for one.

Either way, I like to treat cursed items and artifacts more like joke items than anything else. I like messing with the party in both miniscule and curious ways.

Blackhawk748
2014-10-17, 09:13 PM
Couple of grand? Honestly its the worlds greatest garbage disposal.

bekeleven
2014-10-18, 03:43 AM
1/D slotless disintegrate runs 1800*6*11*2*.2, or 47520 GP. Multiply by .8 to compensate for inability to control the timing and it's 38016. Add that to the price of the cheapest bag of holding and you arrive at the price of 40516, which I'd round to 40.5k.

Inevitability
2014-10-18, 03:45 AM
Make someone unable to resurrected (and uncloneable) is usefull. It might be a good body disintegrater

A normal bag of holding is too, except that it has to be destroyed as part of disintegrating the body. The 2500 GP for a Type 1 bag is easily affordable at high level.