PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding/making a powerful item

Sigh
2014-10-17, 09:25 PM
A Young Dragon friend of the party in one of my sessions has recently been severely wronged by a Dwarven Official NPC from the city they live in, and will probabbly want to take revenge. He will commission the party to go on a quest to retrieve an artifact for him to accomplish this goal, what is a good artifact for them to retrieve for him to do such a thing? Dragons are generally known for their natural strength and abilities, and less so for artifacts, so I'm having trouble finding something that will be powerful enough for him to want to wield while also being something that a young dragon would/could use.

Originally posted in the Rules sticky, my bad for misposting.

frost890
2014-10-17, 11:01 PM
Now are you talking about giving the axe of the dwarven lords to the dwarven rival senator or a cursed belt of fireballs to the dwarf that sets off a fireball every round for four rounds? or are you looking for a spiked tail club enchanted with dwarven pimp slap?

Sigh
2014-10-17, 11:37 PM
I was more looking for a weapon or something for the dragon to use himself, or at the very least something he can give to one of our characters to use to achieve his goal of revenge against those in this city that helped wrong him (aka the ones in power). I dunno, something Dragon specific would be awesome but a generic power-up would work too. Maybe something that transforms you into a large, adult sized dragon for a short period of time?

Andezzar
2014-10-18, 12:33 AM
A cursed helmet/necklace that causes the wearer's beard to fall off. :smallamused:

What kind of dragon are we talking about and do you use the traditional alignments for dragons?

Sigh
2014-10-18, 06:53 PM
Hahaha that would be great.

As for the type of dragon, and if I play according to type, the answer is that I would normally do so, but the two dragons I've made were specifically made out of type due to their... unusual upbringing. Suffice it to say they were raised by a wizard that was performing an experiment to see if Nurture could overcome Nature and raise dragons that are different than usual, ramping it up by raising a Green and a Copper at the same time before he died of natural causes.

The Copper dragon, and the "older brother" in this situation, is blind, and he's the one that would want to take revenge for what happened, as the Dwarf official not only attacked him but also the Green Dragon, whom he considers his "younger brother". It's all very unusual for a standard 3.5 setting I know, but I really wanted to highlight that this wizard from the past did some kooky things.

I was thinking that I could have the object of power be something granted by one of the draconic deities, but outside of what little is in the Draconomicon I don't think I know enough to make something for them myself. That's why I've turned to you guys on this forum.

frost890
2014-10-23, 10:40 PM
You also might try having the party find a way to get a item in his audiance chamber that shifts the mood, or get him to ware it. If you are uneasy while in the presence of the dwarf you will not want to make a deal with him will you?

Sigh
2014-10-24, 01:02 AM
Unfortunately now it's a moot point, the city is in shambles and my Bard (honestly the only character anchoring the dragons to the plot at this point) is about to be executed. If you haven't noticed the DM-ing is a bit unusual in this group, it mostly goes to whomever is up for leading the charge that week. In any case I'll keep what was said here in mind in case I decide to try and mix things up again.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-24, 01:27 AM
Does the dragon want to kill the dwarf himself?

Personal
Some sort of ring allows the dragon the ability to take the form of someone in the village or possess their bodies while also having access to all of their memories. A ring of sorts that grants that ability as a spell like ability 2/day. The dragon has the plan to impersonate someone close to the NPC and find the right person to do it, by working through all the memories of the dwarves that he impersonates.

OR

Maybe a super villainy thing. I remember some crazy Organ of pain artifact from AD&D that when played by a trained musician had these terrible effects on everyone who could hear. Also, the thing amplified sound for miles. Summoned earthquakes, caused massive ear and head pain, broke unattended crystal, billowed out smoke that blots out the sun and shoots lightning bolts at adorable stray puppies. If I was going to make an instrument in my universe, I would have it be some instrument of unmaking some ancient god made in case his experiment with creating the universe was a bad idea. Imagine the visual, of a copper dragon sitting in the town square, belting out the funeral dirges of an entire civilization on a bagpipe.

Non personal
The equivalent of an atomic bomb. Kill the entire kingdom by dropping it from the sky. Be rid of em all.

OR

A portal to the para elemental plane of adamantium, from which he will fashion a 30 foot long morning star to present to a bugbear enclave as an offering to their church of Hrugrek. The priests of the Bugbears get right to praying on it and they all speak at the same time with the same voice: This offering is exactly what is necessary to complete our ancient task. What is it you seek, helpful benefactor? To which the copper dragon responds only that you see to it, personally, that you finish the job. and then he leaves it to the bugbears to meltdown the offering for the most badaff armor and weaponry the bugbear race has ever seen, which is important because the the devine avatar/aspect of Hrugrek is going to lead this army to genocidally remove every last dwarf from the planet.

Sigh
2014-10-27, 11:36 PM
So apparently the point wasn't quite as moot as I may have originally claimed, I got hit with a bit of inspiration on how I can get this storyline to move forward even without my character acting as the anchor between the party and the dragons, and I've more or less figured out what the item will be.

Essentially what I've crafted is a large necklace that, when worn by a True Dragon aged Young Adult or younger, causes them to grow until they are the size and stats of a Mature Adult form of the same type. Subsequently, after X amount of time (I'm going to say maybe half an hour) the subject shrinks back down to normal size and is essentially passed out for the rest of the day out of sheer exhaustion.

Essentially what I've done is modify the Shapechange spell a bit so that it would essentially work with just my dragons, as there aren't exactly any other characters in our session that fit the bill. I've also given it a massive drawback so the dragons don't just have the excuse of using it on themselves whenever they feel like it.

I'm also wondering if I should attempt to hide this spell's effect or if there even is such a spell that could hide the thing's effects from something like Identify. Something like Nondetection but for Identify and its upgrades?