PDA

View Full Version : Ur priest

True believer
2014-10-18, 08:18 AM
Hello members :D

I am about to enter a new campaign of lvl 1 :D We all start as a 0 lvl characters !!!

My thought is to make an Ur-priest and i want to enter this class as soon as possible so i think that the best way to achieve that is by using the Able Learner Feat(for the skill requirements) and then take 5 lvl of monk !!! Is it any faster or better entry for this prestige class ?????

Also the Spell Focus (evil) requirement what is it ???? i haven't seen it before :S Is it the same as the spell focus(School of magic) but ads only to the DC of evil description spells ????

Thank you for your time

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-10-18, 08:38 AM
Typically, the best way into Ur-Priest is Wizard 6/Mindbender 1. If you can find another good fort save based casting class, you could use that on top of Mindbender. Savage Bard would also work.

Spell Focus (Evil) acts as you surmised and should also be in Complete Divine.

Ellowryn
2014-10-18, 08:59 AM
The real question is why do you want to take ur-priest? While it is a good class what do you ant to do with it? Do you want to try and theruge to get 9's in 2 different classes? Or do you want it for the combo's like Ruby Knight Windicator or Eldritch Disciple?

That will often determine when you want to take it, be it early as possible or waiting a few levels after.

Tommy2255
2014-10-18, 09:02 AM
Monk 2 can be worth it, and it will fulfill the save requirements. But there's no reason to ever take more than 2 levels of Monk. Besides, it's not like you need to stay in for the class skills, if you have Able Learner then it doesn't matter. Monk 2/Literally anything 3 would work just as well, and you'll almost certainly be better off.

Petrocorus
2014-10-18, 11:04 AM
I'll try to be original:

DragonFire Adept 5 will give you the saves and the skills, plus a few more abilities (Invocation, breast weapons).

Human Paragon 3 / Fighter 2 will give you the saves and the skills, plus proficiencies, 3 bonus feat to pay the requirements, plus an ability boost, plus a rather good BAB (+4 at ECL 5).

Hexblade 4 / Fighter 1 will give the saves, some of the skills, plus proficiencies, plus Mettle, a familiar, and 1 arcane spell for Cha 12, and an extra feat plus full BAB.

Hexblade 3 / Fighter 1 / Barbarian 1 will give the saves, some of the skills, plus proficiencies, plus Mettle, an extra feat and Pounce plus full BAB.

Swordsage 4 / Fighter 1 will give the saves, some of the skills, an AC bonus, plus proficiencies, an extra feat and nice maneuvers plus +4 BAB.

You can replace Fighter by Generic Warrior from UA to help you with the skills, with DM allowance. You'll lose heavy armor proficiency, though.

Less original:

Savage Bard 5 gives the saves, the skills and lvl 2 Bard spell.

The real question is why do you want to take ur-priest? While it is a good class what do you ant to do with it? Do you want to try and theruge to get 9's in 2 different classes? Or do you want it for the combo's like Ruby Knight Windicator or Eldritch Disciple?

That will often determine when you want to take it, be it early as possible or waiting a few levels after.

I second this. You'd better think pre-emptively about what your concept is, what will be your role in the party, in-fight and out-of-fight, what will be the levels you will be playing and to make your full build accordingly.

gorfnab
2014-10-18, 11:18 AM
Sacrilegious Fist
Duskblade 3/ Monk 2/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sacred Fist 10/ Enlightened Fist 3

Hellfire Ur-Lock
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Mindbender 1/ Eldritch Disciple 5
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8

Ruby Knight Vindicat-Ur
Human Paragon 1/ Crusader 4/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/ Crusader 3
Paladin of Tyranny 2/ Hexblade 3/ Crusader 3/ Ur-Priest 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Ur-Chord
Bard 8/ Ur-priest 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Mystic Theurge 8

Fallen Cleric
Defiant 10/ Ur-Priest 10

torrasque666
2014-10-18, 11:24 AM
Isn't Hellfire Warlock only 3 levels long though?

Venger
2014-10-18, 11:28 AM

it is. he means progressing it with legacy champion.

torrasque666
2014-10-18, 11:31 AM
it is. he means progressing it with legacy champion.

I dunno man, it seems cheesy and barely legal. Can you really gain an effective Hellfire Warlock 4 if Hellfire Warlock 4 doesn't actually exist?

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-10-18, 11:45 AM
I dunno man, it seems cheesy and barely legal. Can you really gain an effective Hellfire Warlock 4 if Hellfire Warlock 4 doesn't actually exist?

Yes, due to the language used in how the class progresses.

Urpriest
2014-10-18, 12:01 PM
Hello members :D

I am about to enter a new campaign of lvl 1 :D We all start as a 0 lvl characters !!!

My thought is to make an Ur-priest and i want to enter this class as soon as possible so i think that the best way to achieve that is by using the Able Learner Feat(for the skill requirements) and then take 5 lvl of monk !!! Is it any faster or better entry for this prestige class ?????

The others have described some better entries, but I'll just point out that the entry you describe doesn't work without additional feats. Remember, Able Learner doesn't give you any new class skills, it just makes cross-class skills cheaper.

Also the Spell Focus (evil) requirement what is it ???? i haven't seen it before :S Is it the same as the spell focus(School of magic) but ads only to the DC of evil description spells ????

Generally speaking, if a rulebook references something that isn't in the PHB/DMG/MM, it will either be from the same book, or it will tell you what book it's from. Since it doesn't tell you what book it's from in this case, you can deduce that Spell Focus (Evil) is in Complete Divine, and indeed if you look at the Feats section that's where it is. And yes, you're correct in your guess about what it does.

gorfnab
2014-10-18, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I fixed that one build. Sorry for the confusion, I was posting from my phone. But actually you can, as stated by Venger, progress Hellfire Warlock with Legacy Champion.

Telok
2014-10-19, 02:23 AM
I've recently been trying to work with a duskblade based up-priest entry. The only problem is the 8 ranks of Bluff. Duskblade has the Kn:Arcana and saves covered, L3 gives the spell channeling which isn't bad with cleric spells. But I can't get a nice way to get Bluff up.

I haven't been able to find a PrC a duskblade can take at L5 with Bluff on it's list (+1 caster level would be a boon too).

Duckblase Duskblade 3, something with Bluff 2, Ur-Priest works.

torrasque666
2014-10-19, 02:43 AM
I've recently been trying to work with a duskblade based up-priest entry. The only problem is the 8 ranks of Bluff. Duskblade has the Kn:Arcana and saves covered, L3 gives the spell channeling which isn't bad with cleric spells. But I can't get a nice way to get Bluff up.

I haven't been able to find a PrC a duskblade can take at L5 with Bluff on it's list (+1 caster level would be a boon too).

Duckblase Duskblade 3, something with Bluff 2, Ur-Priest works.

Drop the Apprentice(Criminal) feat in there and it adds it as a class skill.

Sith_Happens
2014-10-19, 03:25 AM
breast weapons

http://cdn4.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/austin-powers-gun-bra-robots-boobs.gif

Crake
2014-10-19, 03:48 AM
Binder 5 with any one of the feats that gives you spellcraft as a class skill gets you in easily enough, and lets you go straight into tenebrous apostate after ur-priest 2

Telok
2014-10-19, 08:22 AM
Drop the Apprentice(Criminal) feat in there and it adds it as a class skill.

Awesome, I never thought to check the Apprentice feat. Human, first, third for the feats. Duskblade 5 for saves, skills, and channeling. And at 6th level you get to ignore the whole mentor thing, so a 5th+ level character can simply backstory it.

Ooh, at 9th/10th you get Divine Power. A theurge build can work, MAD as all get out but workable.

Thanks man.

Petrocorus
2014-10-19, 09:51 AM
breast weapons

austin-powers-gun-bra-robots-boobs.gif
Nice catch.

Now, i totally want to homebrew this in a campaign.

Awesome, I never thought to check the Apprentice feat.

Always check the Apprentice feat. It solves a lot of problems of skill requirement for PrC and can gives some nice abilities.

nedz
2014-10-19, 10:48 AM
I'll try to be original:
DragonFire Adept 5 will give you the saves and the skills, plus a few more abilities (Invocation, breast weapons).

http://cdn4.gurl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/austin-powers-gun-bra-robots-boobs.gif

Isn't that more Warlock than DFA ? After all, nothing in the rules state where your Eldritch Blast comes from.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-19, 01:55 PM
savage bard 5/urpriest 4/nar demonbinder 1/mystic theurge6

Wandering the luscious valleys of xxxxxxx, the grizzled drummer saw town after town convert to the new human religion, with all of the beautiful traditions of his homeland attacked, his former land hacked and replaced with foul fruits that sustain the body, but bore the pallet. They eat the flesh of enslaved animals that never run free as if they never understood the concept that you take on the traits of those things you consume. The drummer was sad, and vowed to make music that defied those gods and the mind control that they were guilty of.

The drummer met an anarchist who spoke to him about how to refute divinity itself. During the course of those studies, he learned the delicate workings of the planes and cosmos, and sought to commune with the non-divine beings that predate the arrival of these petty, vain, and self aggrandizing "gods"