PDA

View Full Version : The One Ring: The Darkening of Mirkwood IC

Griffith!
2014-10-18, 12:16 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/173e69f468b9f945adc9fe718d536638/tumblr_ndnfge4qg81srw9ieo1_400.jpg
Theme Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmn7QFvIwDM)

Year 2941 - Gandalf the Grey Wizard organizes a party composed of the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, and the twelve dwarven companions of Thorin Oakenshield. Gandalf temporarily abandons the party to organize the White Council, driving the Dark Power from Mirkwood. hrough a series of unlikely events, Lake-town is razed and the dragon Smaug defeated.

Year 2942 - Bilbo Baggins returns to the Shire, and the One Ring with him, though he does not yet know what he carries. News of his deeds begins to spread.

Year 2943 - The Master of Laketown falls victim to dragon-sickness and leaves, carrying with him most of the gold given him by King Bard for the help of the Lake-people.

Years 2944-2945 -King Bard completes the rebuilding of Dale. Lake-town, too, is rebuilt on the shores of the Long Lake, and trade resumes up the Running River. Beorn establishes himself a competent head for his people, soon to be known as Beornings.

Year 2946 - The great feast and celebration that would come to be known as The Gathering of Five Armies is held for the first time in the city of Dale on the fifth anniversary of the eponymous Battle. Later in the year the First Council of the North convened in the halls of King Bard to discuss matters pertaining to the Wilderlands. In the autumn of that year, three adventurers are brought together in a secret meeting in the halls of Esgaroth upon the Long Lake. There they were bound together in secret agreement to fight the Shadow even now stirring under the eaves of Mirkwood.

Year 2947 - Present

Esgaroth on the Long Lake, Spring, 2947
https://38.media.tumblr.com/43b2f17a67c85d97da194e9000e95784/tumblr_ndj9j6hjbs1srw9ieo1_500.jpg
You find the city of Lake-town much the same as you had the year before, when last you parted from the icy docks and sunken pillars of the newly rebuilt city of men: Cold, though friendly enough to strangers. The winding waterside roads lead the way through the low, wooden houses and places of business, and though the thoroughfares seem busy enough, they inevitably lead you to your destination. It was here you first met your companions, drawn together by woodland messengers and strange occurrences to the first homely hearth of Lake-town: The Inne of the Dragon's Belly.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/381af6cccc3e999bc0c4433fc0b04688/tumblr_ndj9j6hjbs1srw9ieo2_500.jpg
The Inne of the Dragon's Belly

The familiar scent of the ale and sawdust greets you within the local drinking hole, though you are early yet for the usual rush of patrons - fishermen fresh from their catch or carpenters with hands still stained by their toil. The banner of newly-crowned King Bard hangs behind the oaken bar, before which a jolly fat man polishes a glass in a perfect facsimile of industry.

"Hoy," he breathes out, "It's you again. You'll find your table in the back, same as last year. Already seen to your letters. Just you collect 'em, and have your meeting 'afore the night falls."

Indeed, the table you frequented last fall is clear of early drinkers and debris - two candles shine brightly from the finished wood, a small stack of letter neatly put aside. All is ready, then - just as your mysterious benefactor said it would be.

A few reminders - you have already met once before, so your introductions don't have to be terribly long. You already have a patron, you just don't actually know who it is. And finally, you can declare actions here, under a spoiler, but please keep all rolls confined to the OOC thread.

P.S. - I know the tavern is a cliche, but it is also so very Lord of the Rings. I just couldn't resist.

Space Lawyer
2014-10-18, 02:56 PM
Finthiel

Finthiel sits a the table, still attempting to assuage his conscience and resolve the conflict inside his mind. He had sworn an oath to respond to this spot when called, and it would be good to see the Gondorian singer Amras again, and hear what new tales he had, along with rencountering Gundalas. However, Elthiria was with child, their first child, and there was a worrisome chance that the task Finthiel and the others had been summoned for would cause him to miss the birth. Ever-greater numbers of their people went into the West, while ever-fewer came into this world. A new life was indeed a momentous occasion.

A twitch of the hand and a sidelong glance brings a barmaid hustling over with some dark bread, a chunk of cheese, and a steaming mug of mulled wine. Though it was certainly heavier than the sort of food Finthiel was used to, it would do well to keep the screaming lake-wind from chilling him to the bone. He sorts through pile of letters, finds any addressed to himself, and settles in to read by the candlelight until the others arrive.

JustPlayItLoud
2014-10-20, 06:37 PM
The cold hardly bothered him, but Gundalas actually relished the opportunity to visit a proper city for a change. Typically he spent the winters in relative seclusion. The general lull in activity provided a good opportunity to delve into ruins, hunting lost treasures. They were usually safe save the wild animals that wander into entryways to get out from the cold, and once you were deep into a cavern it hardly mattered what season it happened to be outside.

This season was different, however. Shortly after the first snow he happened upon a small farm that had been butchered by goblins. The scene was already several days old and he spent the better part of the winter tracking them down and picking them off one by one. He had only had time to search one location on his list of objectives before having to move on to Esgaroth. He had found a previously blocked passageway in a sunken ruin of some sort. Unfortunately it only lead to a library of sorts that had seen better days. He had managed to salvage a couple of tomes in a human language not entirely familiar to him. After a bit of study he determined that they were likely worthless records of some sort and could hardly hope for more than enough value to replenish the supplies he had used over the winter. He would certainly need to visit The Nose before departing Esgaroth again.

No time to worry about that now, however. He had business to attend to and never enjoyed reneging on an engagement. He made his way swiftly through the streets, careful to avoid eye contact with the locals. The Battle of Five Armies had lead to an increase in Elvish presence in Esgaroth but it was still occasionally cause for a spectacle. He came to the inn, knocked the mud from his boots, and opened the heavy, wood door.

Without a word he waved a greeting to the bartender. Looking back toward the table he remembered from the last year, he caught a glimpse of the only prior arrival. He walked over and rested his hand on Finthiel's shoulder.

"Is it not typically mortal men that are so overeager to arrive to an appointment? Finthiel it is good to see you!"

Amaril
2014-10-20, 10:06 PM
Stepping briskly along the busy, twisting streets, Amras could hardly keep the grin from his face. His breath fogging the chill air, he raked his eyes hungrily over every detail of the city, trying to catch the faces of everyone he passed. Everywhere townsfolk bustled thither and yon, all with such purpose, on business no less important to them for being unknown to the others. A full year since he'd visited Laketown last, and though the weather was in less fine a mood than it had been then, he remembered now how much he loved the city.

It was only as he pushed aside the door of the Dragon's Belly that he recognized the tall figure whose path had matched his own for the last while. With a wave to the barkeep, he hastened to follow Gundalas to the secluded table where Finthiel waited. As the elves exchanged greetings, he stepped forward into the light of the candles, pushing back the hood of his cloak. "Eager indeed, friend, but sadly deprived of the famous swiftness of the fair folk! It has been far too long." Hastening to take his seat, he turns his eye to the letters, searching through for any bearing his name.

Space Lawyer
2014-10-21, 12:36 PM
A rare smile spreads on Finthiel's face. He stands and claps his own hands upon Gundalas' shoulder. And fair to see you, Gundalas! Can one be faulted for hastening to see such worthy friends? And what tales have you Amras? I am eager to hear of the wider world." He sits back down on the heavy oak bench, the warmth of the inn and the company finally beginning to take the chill from him. The barmaid hurries over with a full pitcher of wine and two more cups. It was not often that Finthiel felt comfortable out the company of his own people, but this place formed an exception to that rule.

Greenwolf
2014-10-26, 12:13 PM
It has been a long journey for Togo Took, crossing over the misty mountains and around the north of the forest of Mirkwood. It had taken him the better part of a year to arrive here in Lake Town, after a rushed introduction and meeting to his cousin Bilbos traveling companion Gloin via a letter he carried, he is told that sometimes local adventures frequent the local tavern. As Togo approaches the establishment he murmurs to himself.

"Ah the Inne of the Dragon's Belly, This must be the place Gloin spoke of"

Upon entering Togo finds the Inn far too quiet, he wonders where all the merriment and jovialness is, this is a drinking establishment after all. He thinks fondly of the Green Dragon Inn in Bywater and of hobbits singing and dancing on tables. However he pulls himself together and thinks.

"Your not in the shire anymore Togo, time to make a name for yourself"

Spotting two elves and a man sitting at a table in the corner he approaches and courteously introduces himself.

"Good afternoon sirs, could i perhaps trouble you for a moment? I am a hobbit by the name of Togo Took, Perhaps you have heard of my cousin Bilbo. I am searching for fellow adventures to wander and quest with so make a name for thyself and help the people of this land. An acquaintance of mine has pointed me here where the bravest of adventurers in the land gather, and upon seeing you three I can think of no once else who they might be. Could I perhaps buy you all round a of drinks?"

Courtesy Roll
http://i60.tinypic.com/zxtkb6.png

Also can afford round of drinks for all because I am prosperous. :smallbiggrin:

Space Lawyer
2014-10-28, 11:00 AM
Finthiel's grasp on Gundalas loosens as he stares down curiously at the little man who had approached the three. What were these people called? Oh right, hobbits, that was the name. One of them had been in the famed company that had taken the Lonely Mountain, and had apparently been the one responsible for the escape of that company from the halls of the king. His name was Bilbas, or Bilio, or something like that.

Despite the oddness of the little man (how brash and bold was he!), he seemed a friendly sort, and would no doubt have interesting tales. As Finthiel thought further, he remembered that the halflings were reputed to excellent travel companions, full of good cheer and made of sterner stuff than their stature would indicate. It certainly wouldn't hurt to hear out the hobbit, and share a meal with him.

"Such clever and courteous speech this one has! I will certainly welcome you to our table, if for nothing else than to hear what other witty words you may speak. We already have food and drink, but none will begrudge you the opportunity to pay for it."

Greenwolf
2014-10-29, 07:34 PM
Togo slides onto the bench next to the elf who just addressed him. He tells them how he set off from
Tuckborough in the Westfarthing with a caravan of dwarves merchants heading for Erabor, the reason for their visit was mainly to pick up a supply of long bottom weed.

"I still have a pouch on me in fact, would anyone care to partake?"

He pulls out a pouch and the pipe and starts smoking before continuing his tale.

"We set off from the Shire last summer, it's taken me nigh on 7 months to here. We had a hard journey, encountered Goblins in the High Pass over the Misty Mountains, They ambushed while we stopped overnight to fix the wheel on one of the carts. Luckily they were few in number and no match for dwarfish and hobbit steel!".

Togo pauses to relight his pipe and take a long drag.

"After that we had no stomach for the trek through Mirkwood along the Old Forest Road, So we headed north and skirted the forest across the Grey Mountain Narrows. Only problem was it was now winter! Heavy snowfalls blocked our path and made it hard for the carts and ponies to make good progress. I've been trudging through snow all winter. Luckily there was plenty of old toby to go around haha!"

Togo laughs and pat's his pipe fondly.

So this is why i've only just arrived here in Esgaroth just now in Spring.

At this point a barmaid comes over bringing pints of ale to those who ordered it.

"It comes in pints! Im getting one!"

With that exclamation Togo scurries off to the bar excitedly, leaving the man and two elves to talk amongst themselves.

Togo has smoking trait & has never had a full pint before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFnv-TZzRs

JustPlayItLoud
2014-11-02, 10:58 PM
"He's a bit quiet for a hobbit, but he seems alright"

Amused at his own joke, Gundalas took the opportunity to take a seat at the table. He'd hardly had a chance to sit all winter and this was the first time he'd sat with his back exposed since the last time he'd been in the very same room a year prior.

"There are dark things brewing in these parts, and I'll welcome anyone what seems capable of handling a fight without soiling themselves at the first sign of danger. Say what you will about hobbits, but fear and despair often seem entirely foreign to them"

Space Lawyer
2014-11-04, 07:19 PM
Finthiel nods sagely. "Indeed. Whatever task is before us, it will assuredly be one to darken spirits. I have heard the halflings have a gift for cheer, and it will do well to have one in our company. Though," he says, sniffing at the air "while I certainly do not begrudge partaking of pipeweed, I hope he will have the sense not do so around parchment."