PDA

View Full Version : Epic pogression challenge

lade
2014-10-18, 04:51 PM
I've been lurking on this site for a while now and I've noticed that there has been no serious attempt to create an epic class progression , by that I mean 21st to 40th progression with them have the same type of unique class feats and effects as one from 1st to 20th. Would anyone be willing to take the challenege of creating a 21st to 40th progression for an epic campaign based on the world of taera (www.kyia.com) using pathfinder rules for the core classes?

AuraTwilight
2014-10-18, 05:29 PM
There's not really much of a point, is the thing. You might as well make worthwhile epic prestige classes because very few builds monoclass the whole way in 3.5 anyway.

lade
2014-10-18, 05:57 PM
I want to make reference to librim eternia an epic work done in this forum with each class gaining unique features based on what they did but also sharing certain epic features such as epic seed spellcasting based on their focus. Come on isn't anyone even curious enough to try :smallsmile:

Realms of Chaos
2014-10-18, 07:11 PM
Speaking as the producer of Librim Eternia, I'm kind of with AuraTwilight on this one. In fact, I produced the chosen PrC specifically so that nobody has any excuse to play a level 30 rogue or something like that.

Generally speaking, making classes worth taking for even 20 levels is VERY difficult. Homebrewers who have been working on base classes for years still have difficulties producing capstone abilities that justify taking 20 levels without breaks. The simple fact is that producing abilities that require a very specific build for 30 or 40 levels would be incredibly hard.

Further, your goals really kind of clash with the flawed reality of base classes in third edition. Other than full casters, pretty much no classes actually get the full breadth of abilities that they might need to get through encounters (lack of flight being a popular complaint, for example). In fact, many classes like the healer and CW samurai are pretty darn bad. Any sufficiently powerful and broad progression added to the end of truenamer, for example, would A) look incongruous next to the rest of the class and B) would have to be ridiculously overpowered in order to justify sticking through 20 levels of pure horrible-ness in order to ever reach the game table (while I did create a truenaming epic PrC, it could be accomplished without too many truenamer levels).

The idea of a level 21 Samurai or Spellthief suddenly becoming awesome works if your players are starting out with epic level characters and never have to put up with the suckiness, as is the case in your campaign. However, what you suggest makes little or no sense in the context of a game that starts at non-epic levels. As most games start at non-epic levels, the idea of not only producing epic material but producing epic material that can only be used effectively in campaigns that start at epic level seems both incredibly niche and somewhat unbalancing.

nonsi
2014-10-19, 01:44 AM
I want to make reference to librim eternia an epic work done in this forum with each class gaining unique features based on what they did but also sharing certain epic features such as epic seed spellcasting based on their focus. Come on isn't anyone even curious enough to try :smallsmile:

There are so many viable character concepts in 3e that there's absolutely no need for epic features. With the resources available to non-epic classes, minmaxers can easily outpace any suggested epic PrC I've ever seen - officially or otherwise).
Also, epic spellcasting rules are messy. They don't bring anything interesting to promote plot that you cannot already achieve via incantations.
Bottom line, whatever your goals are, epic progression is never the best option of obtaining them.

lade
2014-10-19, 01:45 PM
If not an epic class progression.Perhaps an epic progression such as epic vop that characters can use as their level increase beyond epic regardless of class.

AuraTwilight
2014-10-19, 04:09 PM
I know Epic VoP exists on this forum somewhere. Couldn't remember the link though, I'll try to find it.

Realms of Chaos
2014-10-20, 09:07 PM
I believe that it was Drolyt who created a decent vow of poverty that Vaynor expanded into epic levels (possibly in the same thread). Can't seem to find a good link, however.

Kamai
2014-10-21, 02:59 AM
Can I ask what you'd even want an epic level progression to accomplish that Pathfinder's Mythic Paths don't already?