PDA

View Full Version : Need help converting some magic items from a 3.5 campaign

Fra Antonio
2014-10-18, 05:27 PM
So I decided to convert a Planescape campaigns I'm running to 5E. Had no trouble converting the PC characters, but with magic items I'm not so sure. When in doubt, use a more powerful option, as this campaign is more about characters, exploration, epic adventures and saving a world rather than about overcoming level-appropriate challenges. The characters were level 11 in 3.5, but I decided it is more appropriate to make them level 13 characters in 5E.

So, this is what I need to convert and my thoughts about them:

1) A ring of protection +3 forged on Limbo. It worked as +3 on Limbo, +2 in Sigil and Astral, +1 on Prime Material and Outlands, and +0 on Ethereal and Inner planes. In 5E it should be +2, right? I guess I'll make it +2 on Outer and Astral planes, +1 on Prime Material and +0 on Ethereal and Inner planes.

2) Cloak of Spell Resistance 18. Is advantage on all saving throws against spells too good a feature?

3) +1 Good Shock Shortbow (+1d6 electricity damage, +1d6 damage against evil creatures). No thoughts on this one - can't guess what effect damage bonuses have in 5E yet.

Any suggestions?

Easy_Lee
2014-10-18, 05:37 PM
Ring is fine. Make it a +2 magic armor bonus so it doesn't stack with similar effects but does stack with mundane armor.

For cloak, make it advantage against spells under a certain level, not counting cantrips. Figure out what that level should be based on SR value.

For bow, I think shock is fine, and for good would give it advantage against specific creatures.

Pex
2014-10-18, 06:14 PM
So I decided to convert a Planescape campaigns I'm running to 5E. Had no trouble converting the PC characters, but with magic items I'm not so sure. When in doubt, use a more powerful option, as this campaign is more about characters, exploration, epic adventures and saving a world rather than about overcoming level-appropriate challenges. The characters were level 11 in 3.5, but I decided it is more appropriate to make them level 13 characters in 5E.

1) A ring of protection +3 forged on Limbo. It worked as +3 on Limbo, +2 in Sigil and Astral, +1 on Prime Material and Outlands, and +0 on Ethereal and Inner planes. In 5E it should be +2, right? I guess I'll make it +2 on Outer and Astral planes, +1 on Prime Material and +0 on Ethereal and Inner planes.

2) Cloak of Spell Resistance 18. Is advantage on all saving throws against spells too good a feature?

3) +1 Good Shock Shortbow (+1d6 electricity damage, +1d6 damage against evil creatures). No thoughts on this one - can't guess what effect damage bonuses have in 5E yet.

Any suggestions?

Ring: Ring of Protection +1, +2 vs celestials, fiends, fey, elementals, and undead

Cloak: Proficiency on all saving throws

Bow: +1d4 electricity damage always on, +2d4 additional radiant damage against fiends and undead ignoring piercing resistance

TheOOB
2014-10-19, 02:11 PM
Ring: Ring of Protection +1, +2 vs celestials, fiends, fey, elementals, and undead

Cloak: Proficiency on all saving throws

Bow: +1d4 electricity damage always on, +2d4 additional radiant damage against fiends and undead ignoring piercing resistance

That cloak effect is waaaaaaay too powerful, and there has been no precident set for magic items giving proficiency.

Why not just +1 on saving throws?

Pex
2014-10-19, 07:28 PM
That cloak effect is waaaaaaay too powerful, and there has been no precident set for magic items giving proficiency.

No more powerful than a 14th level monk. Such an item shouldn't appear in the campaign until 12th level, if then.

Why not just +1 on saving throws?

Because it's spell resistance, not a bonus to saving throws. Proficiency and/or advantage is 5E's equivalent.

Of course there's no precedent for magic items. The DMG isn't out yet. When it is then everyone will be more informed on how to handle magic items and what effects to use and when. Until then, the OP would like some ideas for now.

Another option is to allow the wearer of the cloak to use his reaction to activate a Counterspell effect as per the spell once per short rest.

cobaltstarfire
2014-10-19, 10:09 PM
Of course there's no precedent for magic items. The DMG isn't out yet. When it is then everyone will be more informed on how to handle magic items and what effects to use and when. Until then, the OP would like some ideas for now.

The online supplement for HotDQ (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen) has some example magic items in it actually. Although it has a disclaimer in it that some things in it may be considered WIP and may be changed with later updates.

But it could give some ideas? HotDQ takes the party to around level 7.

Fra Antonio
2014-10-20, 05:18 AM
Thank you for the input guys.
I guess I'll use the following stats:

1) The ring. +2 on Outer and Astral planes, +1 on Prime Material and Ethereal, +0 on Inner planes.

2) The cloak. I think I will go with advantage on all saves against spells. I don't mind giving them some powerful items - it's a small party, so they can use some extra survivability.

3) The shortbow. +1d6 lightning damage, +1d6 radiant damage against fiends, undead, aberrations, chromatic dragons and monstrosities.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-10-20, 01:18 PM
Cloak: No need to be fancy, if its a Cloak of Spell Resistance make it give Resistance against spell damage, and/or immunity to low level spells. Powerful, but there are a number of critters with similar effects.

Ramshack
2014-10-20, 04:11 PM

Any suggestions?

Keep it simple

Ring of Protection +2, +2 ac +2 to each resistance

Cloak of Spell Resistance - Resistance granted against damage caused by spells. Just like the 14th level Abjuration Wizard Ability

Why not keep the bow the same? Or give it +1 damage +1 hit, advantage vs evil creatures and charges to deal additional fire damage on hit.

Geoff
2014-10-20, 06:56 PM

1) A ring of protection +3 forged on Limbo. It worked as +3 on Limbo, +2 in Sigil and Astral, +1 on Prime Material and Outlands, and +0 on Ethereal and Inner planes. In 5E it should be +2, right? Don't see why it shouldn't be exactly the same. +3 is possible in 5e, you're not worried about 'appropriate' power, and items are fairly arbitrary.

2) Cloak of Spell Resistance 18. Is advantage on all saving throws against spells too good a feature? It's really not: if you don't have proficiency or a solid stat in a save, advantage won't help you much. However, it's binary, advantage or not, so capturing the relative power of SR 18 is lost. The Fighter's magic resistance is x/day, so you might consider making an SR item you convert be useable more times per day the higher the SR.

3) +1 Good Shock Shortbow (+1d6 electricity damage, +1d6 damage against evil creatures). No thoughts on this one - can't guess what effect damage bonuses have in 5E yet.Again, no particular reason not to just go with it. It'll make whoever has it pretty brutal against evil things that don't resist electricity, especially if they get a lot of multiple attacks, but, that's what magic items do in 5e, make you 'just better.'