PDA

View Full Version : Thrall of Malcanthet help [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2014-10-19, 12:10 AM
I need help creating a Succubus. She's one of the many Succubi children of Pazuzu and Malcanthet, and serves her father in the Abyss. However, she's a spy for Malcanthet, reporting everything he does back to her. So I thought it might be a good idea for her to be in this prestige class. Now it doesn't seem like her race will affect anything, except maybe the capstone, but if I miss something and it does, then I'm willing to change the race to something still fiendish-flavoured. So, to sum it up, what's the best way to get in the prestige class as early as possible?

EDIT: The class is in Dragon Magazine #353, sorry.

The Insanity
2014-10-19, 09:14 AM
IIRC, Thrall of Malcanthet turns a person into a sorta succubus, so... isn't that a bit pointless when you already are a succubus?

Waker
2014-10-19, 11:08 AM
I need help creating a Succubus. She's one of the many Succubi children of Pazuzu and Malcanthet, and serves her father in the Abyss. However, she's a spy for Malcanthet, reporting everything he does back to her. So I thought it might be a good idea for her to be in this prestige class. Now it doesn't seem like her race will affect anything, except maybe the capstone, but if I miss something and it does, then I'm willing to change the race to something still fiendish-flavoured. So, to sum it up, what's the best way to get in the prestige class as early as possible?

EDIT: The class is in Dragon Magazine #353, sorry.

As The Insanity points out, it would be somewhat redundant to have a Succubus take the class. Maybe have the character simply be a mortal worshipper? As for race, my favorite choice is Changeling.

Bad Wolf
2014-10-19, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I guess it is. But I wanted a seducer type of fiend, and Tiefling gets -2 to Charisma. I guess I could always go with Half-Fiend, but I sorta want to stay away from templates.

Venger
2014-10-19, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I guess it is. But I wanted a seducer type of fiend, and Tiefling gets -2 to Charisma. I guess I could always go with Half-Fiend, but I sorta want to stay away from templates.

you could go hellbred. got an underwordly flavor and is a good thematic fit for your thing. plus cha bonus

Honest Tiefling
2014-10-19, 07:52 PM
Try convincing your DM to back-port Pathfinder Tieflings? You could make the argument that no child of a succubus/incubus should ever get a penalty to charisma. Or what of a half-fiend? I don't know the class if that is redundant in of itself, but I sorta like the fluff of a half-fiend trying to obtain power to become a true fiend.

Or take a race with a charisma bonus and fluff it as a tiefling. A few changes to Changeling for instance, might make it seem just like a descendant of a shape shifting duplicitous, like I dunno, a succubus.

EDIT: I don't remember if they are worth it, but Forgotten Realms has a demonic breed of elf called the Fey'ri that I am nearly 90% sure has a charisma bonus.

MilesTiden
2014-10-19, 07:55 PM
Maybe take Fiend of Corruption, for a PrC? I'm not sure how it is mechanically, but the flavor might fit.

The Insanity
2014-10-20, 03:14 AM
Then how about, you know, keep the character a succubus, but just change the class? FYI, I didn't say you shouldn't use succubus, I just pointed out that succubus and Thrall are kinda pointless together. Just use some other class, like Bard, who'd be a great for a seducer.

Phelix-Mu
2014-10-20, 03:27 AM
Maybe take Fiend of Corruption, for a PrC? I'm not sure how it is mechanically, but the flavor might fit.

I can testify that Fiend of Corruption is golden on NPCs. Not sure if it would be so great on a PC, but it certainly plays to a succubus/infiltrator/corruptor's typical activities.

Fiend of Possession might actually be better for a spy, though. Both are in the back of Fiend Folio, and I believe you may want to have a glance at the 3.5 updates to that book, since there might have been a change or two (can't remember offhand). Don't seem to remember anything foundational changing, though.

Crake
2014-10-20, 04:09 AM
I can testify that Fiend of Corruption is golden on NPCs. Not sure if it would be so great on a PC, but it certainly plays to a succubus/infiltrator/corruptor's typical activities.

Fiend of Possession might actually be better for a spy, though. Both are in the back of Fiend Folio, and I believe you may want to have a glance at the 3.5 updates to that book, since there might have been a change or two (can't remember offhand). Don't seem to remember anything foundational changing, though.

if it's an NPC, i prefer using the possession rules in fiendish codex 1, just ups the CR by 2, but makes the fiend much harder to kill while they're possessing people, and you get the ability to transform your host into yourself as well, which is nice, basically a low level astral projection, except you're using someone else's body, making it all the more fun and evil. It also lets you do some fun things like have the succubus possess a nymph and have cha to AC and saves, plus some druidic casting. Then you can also slap on fiend of corruption, or possibly blasphemy, if she leads a cult on the material plane or something.

ShurikVch
2014-10-21, 09:39 AM
I don't think Succubus - Thrall of Malcanthet is redundant.
More like Succubus++
Cha to unarmored AC? Yes, please.
And +4 to Cha? Yes!
And it advancing spellcasting too? Yes!!! :sabine:

Firstly, I suggest to use a Succubus from the Savage Species: in addition you will get clairaudience/clairvoyance, darkness, desecrate, and doom at will, unholy blight 1/day, and even 10% chance to summon balor (!!!)

Secondly, your Succubus is
one of the many Succubi children of Pazuzu and Malcanthet According to the Savage Species,
half-fiendish can be added to outsiders in order to create a half-fiendish chaos beast, for example. Take the Half-Fiend Savage Progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a), and modify it by this guidelines (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) to fit the Pazuzu