PDA

View Full Version : Clarification needed: Armored casters

ArchLich
2014-10-19, 09:38 AM
I am not certain I understand this correctly: Did they do away with the Arcane Spell Failure Chance? Can a wizard, multiclassed or having taken the right feats, cast spells in heavy plate without penalty?

Glarnog
2014-10-19, 09:54 AM
According to Armor Proficiency. in the PH in the equipment section, If you are not proficient in the armor you are wearing in additon to the other penalities you can not cast spells.

smashpunk
2014-10-19, 09:56 AM
No more arcane spell failure. The only issue now is the requirement for a free hand when casting spells with Somatic components. War Caster feat can alleviate that. Suit up in your plate mail (if you're proficient) and start flinging some fireballs.

In general, don't try to apply old versions rules to this version. This is a huge pitfall for a lot of people. If its not mentioned anywhere, it doesn't exist.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-19, 10:48 AM
Did they do away with the Arcane Spell Failure Chance? Can a wizard, multiclassed or having taken the right feats, cast spells in heavy plate without penalty?

They did away with ASF. A wizard can cast while wearing heavy armor if he is proficient with heavy armor. If the wizard is not proficient with heavy armor, then he cannot cast in heavy armor.

Yuki Akuma
2014-10-19, 01:34 PM
Not only can a Wizard (or any other spellcaster) freely cast spells in armour he's proficient in, a Cleric cannot cast spells in an armour type he's not proficient in, either.

TheOOB
2014-10-19, 02:08 PM
No more arcane spell failure. The only issue now is the requirement for a free hand when casting spells with Somatic components. War Caster feat can alleviate that. Suit up in your plate mail (if you're proficient) and start flinging some fireballs.

In general, don't try to apply old versions rules to this version. This is a huge pitfall for a lot of people. If its not mentioned anywhere, it doesn't exist.

A side note, you can use a spellcasting focus to perform the somatic components of a spell, and a divine focus can be put on a shield.

MadGrady
2014-10-20, 03:49 PM
A side note, you can use a spellcasting focus to perform the somatic components of a spell, and a divine focus can be put on a shield.

Can you provide quote for this? I thought that spellcasting focus replaced material components, not somatic.

LtDarien
2014-10-20, 04:02 PM
Can you provide quote for this? I thought that spellcasting focus replaced material components, not somatic.

The rules for material components say "A spellcaster must have a free hand to access these [material] components, but it can be the same hand the he or she uses to perform the somatic components."

I don't think having your focus on the your shield alleviates the need to have a free hand for the somatic components, but you could perform the somatic components with a hand in which you were holding a focus.

Ferrin33
2014-10-20, 04:11 PM
The rules for material components say "A spellcaster must have a free hand to access these [material] components, but it can be the same hand the he or she uses to perform the somatic components."

I don't think having your focus on the your shield alleviates the need to have a free hand for the somatic components, but you could perform the somatic components with a hand in which you were holding a focus.

Accessing the material components requires a free hand, the language here is specific in that it allows you to use the same free hand for your material components as your somatic ones. Nowhere does it mention a Focus.

MaxWilson
2014-10-20, 04:22 PM

Agreed. All it says is that you don't need TWO free hands to cast with both somatic and material components.

TheOOB
2014-10-22, 03:42 AM
I've seen several developer interviews saying you can use somatic components with foci.

Here's one

http://dmdavid.com/tag/9-more-fifth-edition-dd-rules-questions-answered-by-the-designers/