PDA

View Full Version : Spells that gives immortality?

Suzaku
2007-03-18, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if there was a spell or some way for a character to gain immortality? I'm not talking about indestructible (heck even gods can be killed), I mean where you don't die from age or take age penalties.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-18, 12:21 AM
There's an Epic Spell or two. So, effectively: no.

There are workarounds, like True Mind Switching yourself with something that doesn't age.

kamikasei
2007-03-18, 12:29 AM
Would using polymorph any object to become an Elan do the trick? Although, of course it could be dispelled, which would be rather nasty.

Laesin
2007-03-18, 12:33 AM
Debatable. Reincarnate brings you back to Young adult status but you lose a level and you have to kill yourself before you die of old age.

As a side note nothing in the level loss rules dictates the loss of stat points so it can be worth repeatedly dieing and being ressed at 15-16th level or indeed any level where you gain a stat point.

Jasdoif
2007-03-18, 12:41 AM
Becoming a lich would prevent you from aging, as would becoming a number of other undead creatures.

Plane shift can take you to the Astral Plane, where the timeless trait prevents the effects of aging (though such effects will apply retroactively if you leave the plane).

kpenguin
2007-03-18, 12:45 AM
As stated in its description, Wish can make you immortal. A good DM could make it so that you would regret that wish, however. Putting yourself in any sort of suspended animation will make you live forever as well.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-18, 01:03 AM
First, you manifest the Quintessence power to get some Quintessence. Get a whole lot of it (this is tricky, as you quickly need to start succeeding at Will saves or lose Power Points, and it'll take you some time to get enough of that stuff). Then, coat yourself in the gooey distilled essence of time. You will now cease all aging. As well as thinking, moving, living in any real sense of the word, and really doing anything at all except sitting around in stasis, but that is the price of eternal life.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-18, 01:05 AM
The level 6 spell Smokey Confinement its in Complete Mage. It keeps you in stasis until the bottle is busted or the stopper is released.

TheOOB
2007-03-18, 01:12 AM
Hmm, my default response to requests of immortality (especially with wishes) is the temporal stasis spell, not only do you technically live forever, it's definatly within wishs predefined power safe zone.

Suzaku
2007-03-18, 01:23 AM
As stated in its description, Wish can make you immortal. A good DM could make it so that you would regret that wish, however. Putting yourself in any sort of suspended animation will make you live forever as well.

Meh a dm that works to actively corrupt a wish is not a good dm. It should simply fail as a spell not be corrupted unless I'm getting a wish cast by a evil being. I'm also not looking for a suspended animation type spells. I'm looking for explanation how Halaster(sp?) a human wizard from NWN hordes of the underdark could live for thousands of years.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-18, 01:24 AM
Isn't Halaster epic? He could have Epic Spellcasting. He could also have taken the Extended Lifespan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#extendedLifeSpan) feat a bunch. Or he could be drinking Plot Tea; that can make you immortal, too.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-18, 01:33 AM
There's an Epic Spell or two. So, effectively: no.

There are workarounds, like True Mind Switching yourself with something that doesn't age.
A Greater Stone Golem is an interesting choice. You have to find a way to get a Polymorph Any Object on it first (so it's subject to mind-affecting effects), though...

But once you've managed that, you're mostly golden.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-18, 01:35 AM
There's an Eberron spell that makes constructs more humanoid-ish; it removes their mind immunity while it lasts. Hit it with that, then mind switch.

joe
2007-03-18, 02:15 AM
Well it's not actually a spell, but if you have 10 levels of Green Star Adept from Complete Arcane, you can live indefinately. It states that you maintain your form for eons. So I think that would qualify for immortatily.

factotum
2007-03-18, 02:21 AM
If you ever DID achieve immortality in D&D then there wouldn't be anything stopping you levelling up to near infinity and becoming all-powerful, which is why I doubt the people who created the game would have included anything like this.

Sure, you can think of weird work-rounds like switching yourself into the body of a stone golem, although I have a suspicion that wouldn't work as well as you'd like--for example, would you still be able to cast your spells? I doubt a stone golem's fingers are nimble enough to make all the weird arcane gestures required.

Lemur
2007-03-18, 02:26 AM
The Book of Vile Darkness has a level 8 spell, Steal Life, that lets you drain people's ability scores to make yourself younger. Basically, you kill a bunch of commoners on a full moon night and get several years younger. You have to keep doing it periodically, but I suppose you could technically live forever.

Bears makes good points about Halaster being epic, and also plot tea. Either of those are the most likely explanations for the character in question.

Sardia
2007-03-18, 02:29 AM
If you ever DID achieve immortality in D&D then there wouldn't be anything stopping you levelling up to near infinity and becoming all-powerful, which is why I doubt the people who created the game would have included anything like this.

The lack of suitable challenges might-- after all, finding a suitable 100+ CR opponent has got to be a chore. If nothing else, it'd slow progress.

Also, sooner or later, you're going to fail a save, peeve a deity who has the "Life and Death" salient ability, etc, etc. Or you stay out of the way, in which case you're back to having no good sources of XP.

Portent
2007-03-18, 02:30 AM
In I think Magic of Rokugan or Way of the Shugenja, there's a maho (evil blood magic) spell wherein you sacrifice the life of some sentient creature in return for not aging for one or five years (I forget which). But yeah, I can't think of any spells that just cease aging/make you immortal permanently.

kamikasei
2007-03-18, 02:33 AM
If we're talking about Forgotten Realms, the likely explanation is "because". That setting doesn't seem to take much account of the mechanics.

Given that Elminster and Khelben are effectively immortal for little reason except that Mystra likes them, you shouldn't feel bad about ascribing Halaster's long life to a similar arrangement with some other god or outsider, or an epic spell, or just being too mad for Kelemvor to touch.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-18, 04:35 AM
Surprised that BoVD was mentioned without Cancer Mage. Either you can live forever, period, or you can live forever while in "disease form".

As far as "level-up stat boost Reincarnation" cheese, doesn't work for the same reason that you cannot gain feats at say level 24(when you would gain a stat as well). It's part of the level you lost. Reincarnation is still a grand way of accumulating aging bonuses though. Order your Bogun or Animal Companion to activate your "tile of Reincarnation"(breaking it over your dead skull, for example) when you die, hope like hell to get an accelerated aging race like Half-Orc, and repeat.

Saph
2007-03-18, 08:40 AM
Generally anything as powerful as immortality is plot- and DM-specific. You don't get that kind of thing by paging through splatbooks, you get it by searching through the history of the world you're playing in and finding out what is and isn't possible.

Expect some kind of hefty price for it, too. For instance, Halaster is immortal, but he's also insane 90% of the time (at least that's how he was described in the FRCS).

- Saph

Neo
2007-03-18, 09:10 AM
Polymorph->Adamantine rock, basic premise, can be worked for immortality, does contain some minor side effects.

Suzaku
2007-03-18, 12:08 PM

By that logic the gods should have infinite level as well instead they have a fix level. Also Elan druids would be hands down the best race and combo because druids after level 15 don't suffer age penalties and Elans are immortal. Also Elfs would be next best race as they have the longest lifespan compare to the other races. Honestly when is the last time your character's age matter?

DaMullet
2007-03-18, 01:02 PM
By that logic the gods should have infinite level as well instead they have a fix level. Also Elan druids would be hands down the best race and combo because druids after level 15 don't suffer age penalties and Elans are immortal. Also Elfs would be next best race as they have the longest lifespan compare to the other races. Honestly when is the last time your character's age matter?
Actually, I've been working on a homebrew spell that increases the target by 1d4-1 age categories. In RAW, age isn't too common, but it's worth thinking about.

Jack_Simth
2007-03-18, 01:24 PM

Sure, you can think of weird work-rounds like switching yourself into the body of a stone golem, although I have a suspicion that wouldn't work as well as you'd like--for example, would you still be able to cast your spells? I doubt a stone golem's fingers are nimble enough to make all the weird arcane gestures required.
True Mind Switch is a psionic power; no need for funky gestures. Take Leadership to get a cohort with the appropriet spells to un-immune the golem (Stone to Flesh, Polymorph Any Object, then True Mind Switch with the golem and permit the PaO to expire).

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-18, 02:11 PM
You can get timeless body by level 7. Monk 4 then tattoo monk 3. One of the tattoos stops aging.

I use this trick in gestalt games where I play an Elan who lives forever.

GryffonDurime
2007-03-18, 05:36 PM
If you've got a god on your side willing to invest a small portion of their power, even Divine Rank 0 grants you immortality.

UglyPanda
2007-03-18, 05:47 PM
You can get timeless body by level 7. Monk 4 then tattoo monk 3. One of the tattoos stops aging.

I use this trick in gestalt games where I play an Elan who lives forever.

Level 10. Tattooed monk requires 8 ranks of knowledge (religion), so monk 5. That particular tattoo needs two others to give you timeless body, so tattooed monk 5.

Nahal
2007-03-18, 06:47 PM
Isn't Halaster epic? He could have Epic Spellcasting. He could also have taken the Extended Lifespan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#extendedLifeSpan) feat a bunch. Or he could be drinking Plot Tea; that can make you immortal, too.

Undermountain keeps him from aging. It's not so much Plot Tea as Plot Dungeon. But yeah, the ways mentioned here work as well I suppose.

Iden
2007-03-18, 07:37 PM
I actually had a thread recently looking for this very thing. In champions of Ruin, from forgotten realms, there is the Grey Portrait, which is basically the portrait of dorian grey but can be reclaimed by a different person. Also, I think one of the eberron books (magic of eberron, maybe?) had the theif of life prestige class.

Fizban
2007-03-18, 11:52 PM
I've found either A: become undead, B: take a PrC that changes you into a construct or specifically gives you immortality (there's a couple), or C: use a wish spell as described in Savage Species.

Savage Species lets you use a wish spell and a spellcraft check to change yourself into another creature. If you get high enough on your check, it'll be guarenteed to get all the features with no misshaps, somewhere around total 40 is enough, use moment of precience as needed.

So, wish yourself into being a Warforged or an Elan. Both suffer only for the first age penalty, and have no maximum age, though neither are actually human. If you want to keep your old body for the remainder of eternity, polymoph into yourself permanently with a custom magic item or an additional wish after becoming warforged or elan.

clericwithnogod
2007-03-19, 01:11 AM
Beloved of Valarian from Book of Exalted deeds will get you immortality. You also have to be female, never couple with a mortal, and maintain a strong personal relationship with your unicorn. Which, depending on your outlook, may beat being green for all eternity from Green Star Adept.

I remember hearing that one of the Shades in the Forgotten Realms was maintaining his age through what were described as "cleverly worded wish spells" at some point. But they were starting to no longer be able to maintain his body or something after a few thousand years. But then I also remember hearing something about Artemis Entreri not aging because he became a Shade. If becoming a Shade stops aging, acquiring the template would be a pretty goods deal.

I think they went a little too far with the enforced mortality in 3e. I miss the life-extending stuff from earlier editions (and hate having elves that spend the majority of their not-as-long lives old and feeble - plot hook: solve the elven social security crisis). When the Realms first came out, it seemed most of the great wizards had been around a long time and there were ways to do that in game. For players, it's almost always not much of a benefit (as long as they're starting at the appropriate starting age) as very few campaigns run through 20 years of character time anyway.

Bears With Lasers
2007-03-19, 01:13 AM
never couple with a mortal

God, if you're going to give up sex to be immortal, just become a freakin' lich already. I mean, what's the point.

(Oh, yeah--Book of Exalted Deeds, not Eldritch deeds.)

kamikasei
2007-03-19, 04:10 AM
Beloved of Valarian from Book of Eldritch deeds will get you immortality. You also have to be female, never couple with a mortal, and maintain a strong personal relationship with your unicorn.

Let it be known that I'm exercising a great deal of restraint not to comment on this directly.

Dhavaer
2007-03-19, 04:18 AM

Let it be known that I'm exercising a great deal of restraint not to comment on this directly.

You don't often visit WotChan, do you?

Khantalas
2007-03-19, 04:19 AM
Is the unicorn considered "immortal"? Because, um...

Yeah, it's just too dirty to say out loud.

Dhavaer
2007-03-19, 04:21 AM
Is the unicorn considered "immortal"? Because, um...

Yeah, it's just too dirty to say out loud.

Being magical beasts, I'd say unfortunately not.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-19, 05:53 AM
The Beloved's Unicorn is immortal as long as she is.

Khantalas
2007-03-19, 05:55 AM
So, what rule was that? 34? 43? Which one?

Does Beloved of Valarian invoke that rule?

Dhavaer
2007-03-19, 05:57 AM
So, what rule was that? 34? 43? Which one?

Does Beloved of Valarian invoke that rule?

If it's the rule I'm thinking of, yes. But everything invokes that rule.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-19, 10:27 AM
IMO Immortality shouldn't be easy but can be one of the campaign bases.

In game the Chosen Template will do it from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting along with the Einherjer Template from Dieties and Demigods in mythology great heroes or villians have become minor hearth and demi-gods but which usually involved lengthy and great trials.

There is alway the Vampire Template. One of the classic "Easy" Immortals with corresponding benefits and limitations.

As Jack Smith posted earlier True Mind Switch a Very Specialized and Specific Psionic Telepathic Power. Basically Limited to Psionic Telepaths unless there are magic/psionic stores. Telepaths have Limited Fixed Known Powers choosing True Mind Switch (despite Pyschic Reformation) is a Major Cost limiting daily usable powers for a Very Powerful Very Used Power that will do it also at a cost of 10,000 experience points.

Mechanically Greater Miracle and Wish both more very powerful "General Purpose" spells in comparison should probably provide a similar venue magically but at a Greater Cost since it would be "exceding" spell parameters duplicating a level 9 very specific psionic power.

IMO Greater Miracle and Wish would do the job at a slightly greater cost. The standard 5,000 experience point cost would "facilitate" duplicating True Mind Switchs if the PC is willing to pay the additional 10,000 experience points required by the power.

You might decide that a Permanent Magic Jar with a Gem or Large Crystal that can be Stolen or Destroyed and even Facilitate Imprisoning the PC by a clever enemy a suitable mechanical weakness for the additional 10,000 experience point cost.

Hopefully a few of these ideas helped.

P.S. Halaster is basically immortal but he is Limited to Confinement/Imprisonment in Undermountain where he is also Insane (CE). Outside Undermountain he is Lucid (LE) and Aging extremely rapidly as per Stardock.

Dancing_Zephyr
2007-03-19, 11:43 AM
Cloud Anchorite from Frostburn. Lv 10 ability: Immortality of the mountain. No max age, doesn't die of old age.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-19, 12:27 PM
While we're going by the classics, Koschei the Deathless had his heart(soul?) hidden inside a needle inside an egg in a rabbit in a chest on an island. Something like that. While it was so hidden, nothing could kill him. Sort of like the Grey Portrait.

silentknight
2007-03-19, 06:20 PM
I thought Halaster was a Chosen of Mystra and therefore immortal as long as he remains one.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-19, 07:04 PM
True Mind Switch is a psionic power; no need for funky gestures. Take Leadership to get a cohort with the appropriet spells to un-immune the golem (Stone to Flesh, Polymorph Any Object, then True Mind Switch with the golem and permit the PaO to expire).

Any reason to think your mind would still be there when the PaO expired and the golem-with-a-mind that you switched with reverted to a mindless golem?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-19, 11:32 PM
I thought Halaster was a Chosen of Mystra and therefore immortal as long as he remains one.

Halaster has never been statted mechanically as a Chosen in the game to my knowledge ((Possibly in a book I might be unaware of) I make the assumption he used a variant of the Epic Ioulaums Longevity Spell like Tabra at the Bargewright Inn. Mainly because he has been documented as Insane in Stardock inside Undermountain where he is effectively immortal and lucid (LE) but aging very rapidly outside undermountain (IMO Hasaster as a LE Chosen would work well as Azuth, Savras and Mystra were all LN prior to 1358 when Mystra's/Midnight's alignment changed to NG (Although I expect her alignment to revert back to LN or N when she absorbs the Shadow Weave at some point in the future)).

Collin152
2007-03-20, 12:02 AM
Any reason to think your mind would still be there when the PaO expired and the golem-with-a-mind that you switched with reverted to a mindless golem?
Immunities aren't retroactive?

Variable Arcana
2007-03-20, 09:31 AM
Immunities aren't retroactive?

Nothing to do with immunity.

You are the "mind" occupying a golem which has been transformed into a golem-with-mind. When the golem-with-mind reverts back to a mindless-golem, that would make you the "mind" of a mindless-golem...

Consider a clearer example... instead of PAOing a golem into a golem-with-mind, PAO a pebble into a human. Now mind-switch with the really-a-pebble-human. This works fine while the PAO lasts... but what is it that you think happens when the PAO wears off? Are you the "mind" of a pebble? I see no reason for PAO on the golem to have a different result merely because the mindless pebble is humanoid in shape and has been magically animated. The only link between the temporary "mind" you've switched with and the golem's animating spell is the PAO, which has now expired, as has the temporary "mind".

Yet another reason PAO breaks all rules of logic and balance beyond the possibility of redemption.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-20, 09:37 AM
Well the PAO would be permanent. Golem to Golem with brain is Same Kingdom (+5), Same Class (construct) (+2), Same Size (+2), Related (Golem to golem with mind) (+2). That is an 11 and you only need a 9 to get permanent duration. Then the golems immunity to magic protects you from an dispel attempts.

But its easier to use the spell Awaken Golem from the SC and then True Mind Switch as that gets around the 15 HD restriction on the Greater Stone golem and the Iron Golem. With PAO the best golem you could get is a Stone Golem.

Gamebird
2007-03-20, 09:55 AM
A lot of the allure of immortality in D&D stems from the illusion that PCs will gain xp for the passage of time. This is patently not true and a quick glance at NPCs, monsters, etc. will show this. PCs only gain xp while they are actively played. All xp awarded for time not on stage is up to the DM and the plot, arriving solely at the DM's convenience, without any rules in the DMG to fall back on.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-20, 10:05 AM
Actually, if you have immortality but still get the benefits of ageing and not the penalties then it is worth it to just sit around until your venerable for the +3 to each mental stat.

I've done it with gestalt wizard//tattoo monk's and the Elan race before. Smokey Confinement on the rest of the party and you go and sit in some place where no one will bother you for the next couple of thousand years.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-20, 10:53 AM
The allure of immortality isn't about "getting XP for catassing". It's more about "We've spent 5 years(RL) on this campaign. I don't want Lord Highlevl to die of old age! I finally got him just the way I want him! :("

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-20, 12:10 PM
God, if you're going to give up sex to be immortal, just become a freakin' lich already. I mean, what's the point.
As I'm sure you're aware, BWL, becoming a lich doesn't necessarily mean celibacy. There's even a feat for it!

Khantalas
2007-03-20, 12:18 PM
As I'm sure you're aware, BWL, becoming a lich doesn't necessarily mean celibacy. There's even a feat for it!

And the rule 34 was already applied to this particular line of thought. I was forced to see that horror.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-20, 12:43 PM
Dragon #354 (not on newsstands quite yet. You gotta subscribe.) has a 9th level spell called kissed by the ages. It instantaneously forges a bond between a creature other than the caster and a small object such that the creature does not age at all for as long as he or she carries or wears the object. Though any character so "blessed" doesn't gain the mental stat bonuses for aging either.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-20, 03:14 PM
Actually, if you have immortality but still get the benefits of ageing and not the penalties then it is worth it to just sit around until your venerable for the +3 to each mental stat.

I've done it with gestalt wizard//tattoo monk's and the Elan race before. Smokey Confinement on the rest of the party and you go and sit in some place where no one will bother you for the next couple of thousand years.

Uh, you sat alone with no company save a bunch of guys in temporal stasis for a thousand years? I imagine you'd be quite insane by the time you got out. Not to mention the effects of a thousand years of social evolution on the outside world. Heck, even the Elves would have gone through more than ten generations (assuming they have most of their children before middle age), and any elf who was a child when you were around would have already died of old age. Heck, anyone who was a child when that elf died would be dead of old age. The dragons themselves probably would have passed on by the time you got out of their. I doubt you'd even be able to speak anything similar to the new version of Common. Not that any of that matters, since, as I first mentioned, you'd be utterly insane.

Machete
2007-03-26, 07:18 PM
I guess immortality in a character always struck me as awesome if it could/had to be in the character's childhood body.

Orc, "What a crute kid, dat armor almos looks lak real meethrul. Hey where that greatsword come fr---URGHH!"

TimeWizard
2007-03-26, 07:45 PM
My DM took full advantage of this. One character's uber magic weapon was called [gibberish in an ancient language], which translated into "the Ravenous King". Long ago a greedy, warmongering king Wished for "immortality and great power". His soul was bound to a +10 equivalent mace. (+5 shocking, fiery burst, something something) etc...

Loose wording is like a hail mary throw. Grab it and run as far as possible.

Tellah
2007-03-26, 07:58 PM
And the rule 34 was already applied to this particular line of thought. I was forced to see that horror.

Oh... oh god.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/Beholden_Caulfield/th_donotwantpicard.jpg

NullAshton
2007-03-26, 08:40 PM
There's a very simple way.

First, you get a wizard capable of casting Magic Jar. You have him create an amulet of PERMANENT(note, that is the important part) Magic Jar. You then use it to inhabit someone else.

Your body could be held in permanent stasis or something. Dip him in quintessense if you want. Since it's permanent, you can stay in that body forever.

Once your inhabited body is about to die, go back to your body.Remove it from the stasis effect. Turn off the magic jar effect, inhabit a new host.

As long as you are within medium range of the item when your current host dies, you will never truely die. If you're really paranoid, have a permanent contingency on the same item. Before the body you are in leaves the range, have it bring your life force back into the magic jar. As dispel magic and antimagic fields only surpress the item, your soul will never actually leave the jar or a body.

The only thing that would truely be able to kill you would be a mage's disjunction.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-26, 08:50 PM
As stated in its description, Wish can make you immortal.
Uh, where in it's description?

I see:
Duplicate lesser spells
Undo harmful magic
Create items
Increase ability scores
Heal injuries and afflictions
Raise dead as resurrection (closest you get)
Transport creatures
Undo 1 round's worth of reality

None of those exactly equate to immortality.

Fishies
2007-03-26, 09:11 PM
Easy peasy. Kill yourself and have your buddy use a scroll of reincarnate on you. Done. Now go kill something to get your experience points back.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 09:45 PM
that only works for so long. And Wish can do anything so long as the DM allows it

Fishies
2007-03-26, 10:21 PM
that only works for so long. And Wish can do anything so long as the DM allows it

What are you referring to? If you're talking about the reincarnate trick, not really. Because if any inevitables come along, I can just beat the crap out of them.

Fizban
2007-03-26, 11:18 PM
A bit late, but I believe there's something in the Chosen of Mystra template that either massively extends your maximum age, or just plain gives you immortality. Several of those epic FR mages are chosen, and that explains them.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-27, 12:50 AM
There's a very simple way.

First, you get a wizard capable of casting Magic Jar. You have him create an amulet of PERMANENT(note, that is the important part) Magic Jar. You then use it to inhabit someone else.

How, exactly, would you go about getting that? A single-use item of True Mind Switch would have to be cheaper than that, and that probably goes for over fifteen million gp.

Talya
2007-03-27, 08:01 AM
Uh, where in it's description?

I see:
Duplicate lesser spells
Undo harmful magic
Create items
Increase ability scores
Heal injuries and afflictions
Raise dead as resurrection (closest you get)
Transport creatures
Undo 1 round's worth of reality

None of those exactly equate to immortality.

You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)

Here's an option for some:

In the Forgotten Realms, if you are a spellcaster worshipping Sune, the "Heartwarder" PrC (Faiths & Pantheons) changes your type at level 10 from "Person" (or whatever it was, if other) to "Fey." Fey do not age.

Talya
2007-03-27, 08:03 AM
Oh, has nobody mentioned Lich yet? That's the traditional way for a wizard seeking immortality to get it...

Zincorium
2007-03-27, 08:08 AM
Oh, has nobody mentioned Lich yet? That's the traditional way for a wizard seeking immortality to get it...

5th post from the beginning. Wasn't me who posted it, but I like to do the easy thing and read threads rather than ask whether something has been posted. Faster, and I think it makes me look less foolish.

Talya
2007-03-27, 08:34 AM
I read the whole thing, and by the time I finished I forgot.

I suffer from short term memory loss.

Hi. Who are you?

NullAshton
2007-03-27, 10:44 AM
How, exactly, would you go about getting that? A single-use item of True Mind Switch would have to be cheaper than that, and that probably goes for over fifteen million gp.

For the permanent magic jar item, only 90,000. Not that expensive.

The problem with a single use item of true mind switch is the will save and the level loss. The magic jar has no level loss, can be used an infinite number of times, and the will save can be offset by preparation.

Some form of ritual involving Feeblemind and using Eneveration to drain it's hitdice to nearly nil should work quite well. You have to capture someone, but other than that it's mostly okay.... or you could just get a willing participant, with a symbiotic relationship.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-27, 11:17 AM
In the Forgotten Realms, if you are a spellcaster worshipping Sune, the "Heartwarder" PrC (Faiths & Pantheons) changes your type at level 10 from "Person" (or whatever it was, if other) to "Fey." Fey do not age.

Are you sure about that? I'm fairly sure there's some Fey listed out there that could age. On the other hand, the only Fey I can think of that are listed as a playable race(with aging table) are the Killoren in Races of the Wild.