PDA

View Full Version : Material Components

Pex
2014-10-19, 02:14 PM
As I understand it:

Material components used for a spell are not consumed unless the spell specifically mentions it is.

A spell focus implement item can be used as a replacement for material components that do not have a listed gp cost. It does not increase the DC of the spell you cast as it did in play test.

Is this accurate?

TheOOB
2014-10-19, 02:23 PM
You are right both counts.

Starsinger
2014-10-19, 03:43 PM
Oh wow. I no longer hate Chromatic Orb... Thanks!

Daishain
2014-10-19, 04:23 PM
In addition, spell component pouches generally serve the same purpose as foci. Though they do it by assuming the mage was diligent in storing everything they might need ahead of time. Whatever the fluff reason, the right component is always available in such pouches.

TheOOB
2014-10-19, 08:38 PM
In addition, spell component pouches generally serve the same purpose as foci. Though they do it by assuming the mage was diligent in storing everything they might need ahead of time. Whatever the fluff reason, the right component is always available in such pouches.

I got the impression that a spell components pouch may not have EXACTLY the component listed in the spell description, but might have whatever magical do dads you personally use for spells, crystals, magic dust, alchemical vials, ect. The only time a component should be relevant is when you have no gear and you're trying to find SOMETHING to cast a spell with.