PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help (re)fluffing a star-based mage build

Darkweave31
2014-10-19, 03:28 PM
So , I'm trying to come up with some sort of mage that draws upon magical power from the stars for an Eberron campaign (close ties to Siberys), and I've hit a bit of a wall in creativity where I've come up with several options, but am not satisfied with any of them.

I'm a big fan of wizards and the roleplay of discovering arcane lore and researching my own spells, but if there's an idea using another caster (arcane or divine) please feel free.

Possibly the leading idea right now is using a refluffed shadowcraft mage that weaves starlight into illusions rather than shadows and an illumian that has constellations circling their head rather than sigils... (using improved sigil rather than earth spell... though refluffing earth spell to only work when in starlight... hmmm)

Another way to go would be cleric (or Ur-Priest with the dead god adaptation), but that one is by far less developed...

Anyway, are there any other ideas as to how you would build/fluff this? Mostly just looking for brainstorming, so any roleplay, story, optimization help is welcome :smallbiggrin:

XionUnborn01
2014-10-19, 08:15 PM
You could have them prepare their spells early in the morning when the stars are still out and they gaze at the stars and constellations to see which spells prepare. Fluff it like they're reading predictions from the stars.

You could use the Spell Theatrics metamagic ( I believe that's what it's called) To add a starburst pattern to your spells.

And a lot of spells could be refluffed to be star related;

Meteor Storm is now Falling Stars, Faerie Fire's effect now comes from starlight surrounding the target, Divination spells in general you could call Star Gazing spells. Find the Path is now like a guiding star.

It all depends on how star like you want to be.

daremetoidareyo
2014-10-20, 12:03 AM
Instead of stars, make the realm have a number of planets. To each planet describe a personality and few spheres of influence: myrthris the angry bear (transmutation spells, abjuration), kolchiss the drowned witch, enchantment, water, plant, etc. What spells the character can choose depends on which planet aligned with the universal forces. Then grab something like 25 spells per level and ascribing them to different planets. Each combination of major planet and minor planet with the major planet getting to give feat/skill bonus ex: abilities and the like, along with 1 spell per level. and maybe the minor planet influences the spell list, and an astronomy typed bonus to mental traits, physical traits, defensive buffs, offensive traits.

Make astrology as cool as it will ever be.

Deox
2014-10-20, 01:23 AM
You could use the Spell Theatrics metamagic ( I believe that's what it's called) To add a starburst pattern to your spells.

IIRC, the feat (Spell Thematics) is not necessary to change what your spells actually look like. The feat does, however, add a mechanical benefit to identify the spell being cast.

icefractal
2014-10-20, 02:49 AM
Things that would fit with stars ...

Divination is an obvious one, reading the future from the constellations. Perhaps Unseen Seer. The only thing is that its not exactly flashy, so if you wanted a technicolor explosion of stars across the battlefield ...

Some kind of Mailman-esque build. Stars are giant balls of plasma, after all, so it makes sense to wreak some havoc with them. If you have room, maybe get Radiant Spell in there and blind people with the light of the stars. Sadly, it isn't a very good feat, but once you've got meta-reducers going it's ok.