PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help for a new character in a party with some problems.

Curunir471
2014-10-19, 03:44 PM
Hey Playgrounders, I would love some help with building the most functional character that I can in a party with a few holes.

Btw, relevant house rules are: All books allowed on a case by case basis, same with homebrew (if it matters). Also, we play that class skills transfer from class to class, i.e. one level of factorum would mean that no matter what all skills are class skills(not a huge fan of the class but I needed a good example of the system we use).

The current party is a Xeph Kineticist Psion 6, a Dwarven Samurai 2/Fighter 2/Warblade 2(played by the same person who is playing the psion), a Lesser Aasimar monk 1/ shapeshift druid 5(my other character, I'm running two at this point), and a Lesser Tiefling ranger 2/ rogue 4(into master thrower). The party is predominantly good or neutral(evil is not allowed in the games I'm in).

The dm has requested that my Druid or my new character take leadership(my druid has not taken his sixth level feat yet), and grab a cleric to serve as a dedicated healbot with maxed out healing, feats, domains, the whole nine yards(mentioned only to make it clear that we have healing all wrapped up).

Stats are rolled, mine are high enough I can basically do what I want for classes. Oh, and the whole party has darkvision so it would be nice if I did as well(the lesser outsider races are allowed, LA races are allowed but would have to be great as LA buyoff may or may not be in play).

What would you wise and powerful playgrounders recommend for me to do with my new player character?

XionUnborn01
2014-10-19, 04:12 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Lumi race as clerics. They get boatloads of immunities and they freaking glow!

MM3 P99.

You have to eat +2 LA and 2 Outsider HD, but outsider HD are awesome and I personally think that the LA is worth it for all the immunities and effects you get. Did I mention they glow and they have no neck?!

If LA buyoff is in play, they're even better but I think that being as it's a cohort, it might be justifiable to deal with it anyway.

Also they glow and they have no neck! Their head floats! No flanking!

Curunir471
2014-10-19, 04:41 PM
@XionUnborn01

I am so sorry if I mislead you with the line about the cleric, I was just mentioning that we don't need a cleric type in the party. I'll fix the OP to make that clear, the race sounds sweet though.

eggynack
2014-10-19, 05:46 PM
So, what kinda thing do you want your character to do then? It looks like an arcanist wouldn't be too out of place, though between the cleric and druid you're already running ridiculous amounts of bookkeeping. You could run a skill monkey, though given your stated dissatisfaction with the factotum, it might not be the best plan. An in between place might be reasonable then, which to my mind would probably be a bard. It makes for a good backup character when you already have every role filled, and though you claim that your group has roles that need filling, I can't really see much aside from maybe the aforementioned skill monkey role. Bards do that job reasonably though, so it adds up well enough.

Curunir471
2014-10-19, 06:56 PM
@Eggynack

I was thinking more like a warlock type than a bard, maybe with a splash of totemist. Oh, and the shapeshift druid has a lot less bookkeeping than the standard druid, you have a limit of 5 or six forms, one at first, one at fifth, and so on.

XionUnborn01
2014-10-19, 08:05 PM
Ohhh, now I understand.

I thought you were asking what to do with the leadership companion, not with the character you're making.

Either way, no party is complete without their candle Lumi.

The Grue
2014-10-19, 08:38 PM
The dm has requested that my Druid or my new character take leadership(my druid has not taken his sixth level feat yet), and grab a cleric to serve as a dedicated healbot with maxed out healing, feats, domains, the whole nine yards(mentioned only to make it clear that we have healing all wrapped up).

Since the DM is basically requiring you to spend a feat you otherwise wouldn't have, is your character being given a free bonus feat as compensation?

Curunir471
2014-10-21, 10:45 AM
@The Grue

Not really, I almost always take leadership in a small party just for safety's sake, one more meatshield in the party and all that.

Curunir471
2014-10-22, 06:26 PM
Now all I am looking for is a Warlock/Totemist build. I would love some help with this before friday.