PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hay, Anyone willing to help me peace together a backstory?

Rfkannen
2014-10-19, 05:07 PM
So I started a campaign the other day and I made a character who was a cleric of sune that used to be a pirate. I didnt make a fleshed out back-story only a general concept that I used throughout the game, I was wondering if you could help me pierce together the bits and pieces of back-story I said during the session

He is from a port town in a lawless strip of land that is between 2 empires (the same area where the adventure starts)

He was friendly with a bugbear pirate captain by the name of Captain Bugsby, and once had a conversation with him about Bugbear weaknesses for some reason.

He worships Sune, and Sune decided to grant him magical power.

Even though he is chaotic good, he is a notorious and feared pirate, however people in the town were not attacking him on sight, even though there were at least 20 level 10's and I was level 1.

He has a wisdom of 18, an intelligence of 8, and a charisma of 13.

He really really hates the light (An empire that although generally a good force kills anyone that worships a god) (this is the empire on the left of the stip of land he is from)

He is convinced that he is a pure blood human, and is not especially fond of elves.

He threatened to kill a player that broke an oath to let a goblin live.

He tries to breakup a fight by giving someone a muffin.

For some reason he was joining the adventuring guild without his crew (a group that although not really good, they do protect the masses, and they also hate the light)

He was still willing to kill goblins

He is not very familiar with dwarves even though they are rather common were he lives. ( I rolled a 1 so he mistook one with a donkey)

He speaks goblin, human, and elvish

He knew was a flying kobold was (aka I accidentally forgot that my character probably wouldn't know what a , blessed of tiamet, that was the same size of a kobold, was)

Any ideas you may have I would realy be greatful for!

Madfellow
2014-10-19, 05:36 PM
Based on your description, this is basically what I have in my head right now:

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/ron-glass-shepherd-book.jpg

You know what made Book such an awesome character? Nobody had any idea where he came from. Sure he seems like a nice guy, but then he talks about kneecapping thugs and calling interplanetary crime bosses by their first names.

My thoughts? He (your character, not Book) was a pirate or some other criminal, who had some kind of falling out or some kind of disastrous experience, and decided to try and go straight and devote himself to a deity to make up for things. I think there are a lot of directions you could take something like that.

Not much, I know, but I hope it helps.

Rfkannen
2014-10-19, 06:16 PM
Based on your description, this is basically what I have in my head right now:

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/ron-glass-shepherd-book.jpg

You know what made Book such an awesome character? Nobody had any idea where he came from. Sure he seems like a nice guy, but then he talks about kneecapping thugs and calling interplanetary crime bosses by their first names.

My thoughts? He (your character, not Book) was a pirate or some other criminal, who had some kind of falling out or some kind of disastrous experience, and decided to try and go straight and devote himself to a deity to make up for things. I think there are a lot of directions you could take something like that.

Not much, I know, but I hope it helps.

I do like your idea about the falling out. I will incorperate this.

As much as I loved Book, I have a feeling the author knew the back-story. Because when the bugbear threatens to kill the captain unless he tells him where he learned to speak goblin, it would be useful to know where he learned goblin. I guess I could just say "I am from the fringe, the fringe has a hobgoblin minority" but that is boring :)