PDA

View Full Version : Mood Music

ADZAELL
2007-03-18, 05:54 AM
So i recently bought the Eberron supplement Sharn: City of Towers. it has a cd in it with some music made specifically for DnD. I think it's great as a mood setter. does anyone know of any other great sources for DnD mood Music?

Were-Sandwich
2007-03-18, 06:04 AM
Wait, Sharn: City of Towers comes with a free CD? Why did nobody tell me!

Bryn
2007-03-18, 08:11 AM
Well, film soundtracks probably work well - for Eberron, this could be from films such as Pirates of the Carribean (which I intend to use). Apart from that, big dramatic music from operas, etc. for combat parts. If the party are associating with nobles and stuff some Mozart might work.

Odd-Eye
2007-03-18, 07:00 PM
I am a huge fan of music to set the mood while playing, it can really add emotional impact and excitement, especially during battle and dangerous chases, essentially any dramatic scene. Though this suggestion is stolen from Monte Cook I have found it is an excellent one; use the soundtrack to the movie Gladiator, it is an almost perfect D&D backdrop. The midnight syndicate cd released specifically to be a D&D soundtrack is great too as the tracks are named by the situation they are designed for. Personally I also use the soundtracks for some of my favourite CRPGS like planescape Torment, Baldur's gate 2 and Final Fantasy 7, whack them all in a huge playlist and let them add to the atmosphere :)

jjpickar
2007-03-18, 09:49 PM
I recently experimented with mood music in the Star Wars D20 game (Dark Forces II has all the BGMs from the game playable on cd players) and it worked extraordinarily well. My characters remained focused and really got into the spirit of the game. Also it made combat seem more urgent and made the battles much more rapid and exciting.

My point is background music works and Star Wars isn't a bad choice. Though for D&D it might not work so well. Lord of the Rings sound tracks might work.

Tyrael
2007-03-27, 04:36 PM
I just discovered the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess soundtrack, and its mood music is absolutely FANTASTIC.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-27, 05:18 PM
Lord of the rings, it is difficult to get more epic than that.

But seriously, it depends on the setting and the action, for lots of zombie slaying action i use some punk rock or metal. even though they may not fit the setting they fit the action. orchestral music is fine, but get boring rater quick

Ravyn
2007-03-27, 06:48 PM
The one problem with Lord of the Rings is that half the tunes can't be sorted by mood; the tone switches halfway through the piece. I tend towards somewhat more ambient fare, though. When I have choice of music, I try to go easy on the video-game stuff--or at least the obvious video-game stuff--to avoid player pre-associations, instead grabbing a few things from classical CDs I'd picked up recently, a couple carefully chosen soundtrack-pieces (I'm very partial to the soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus, for instance. While a lot of the pieces are short, if you can get a battle-theme on loop it'll take one mood and stick to it.), maybe if I'm desperate something from an obscure game... Fortunately, I tend to be more RP-heavy, so I get to use the rest of my library, and that's just all over the place. The big thing is to choose pieces by mood and flavor--it's no fun when you're trying to get the group feeling utterly overwhelmed by something dark and brooding and beyond their comprehension that's pulling the situation out of control and your playlist starts running a theme that can only be described as "The Heroes Are Here!"

Classical's fun. Gamelan makes very good background for peaceful interactions--one of its main purposes is backgrounding. For a more untamed temperate forest feel, New Celtic Moon's near-perfect, while in a misty and unsettling place Shadows and Dawning is optimal, and pinging around the courts of mortals and lesser divinities alike can run on anything from Vivaldi to Himekami. Variation, of course, is always a plus no matter what kind of songs you're using.

TSGames
2007-03-27, 06:56 PM
So i recently bought the Eberron supplement Sharn: City of Towers. it has a cd in it with some music made specifically for DnD. I think it's great as a mood setter. does anyone know of any other great sources for DnD mood Music?
Anything by queen.
Jeeez guys, I was only kidding I wasn't trying to kill the thread. *sigh* I guess that's what I get for not removing all subtlety and putting "" and "" before the begining of my post.