PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill.

Ethelesin
2014-10-19, 08:46 PM
So, Iajutsu Focus, is by my standards a pretty neat skill, but afaik it was never updated for 3.5 and therefore is not on any of the class skill lists, so how would i go about acquiring at as a class skill? Thanks in advance

herrhauptmann
2014-10-19, 08:49 PM
Human Paragon.
Factotum.
Able Learner feat.

There may be one or two other ways.

Troacctid
2014-10-19, 08:50 PM
Once a class skill, always a class skill--at least for the purposes of maximum ranks. All you need to do is take a level in a class that gets it as a class skill, like Factotum, Savant, Human Paragon, Exemplar, Expert, or Samurai.

Ethelesin
2014-10-19, 08:55 PM
What about Skill Knowledge from Unearthed Arcana (just looked it up) would that work aswell?

Troacctid
2014-10-19, 08:57 PM
That's for use with a variant rule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm).

Scrapheap
2014-10-19, 08:57 PM
There is always the Cosmopolitan feat too

Ethelesin
2014-10-19, 09:01 PM
Setting myself up for a smackdown here i guess but. As far as i can read the feat doesn't mention being restricted to the variant skill rules specfically. Unless im missing something?

Taveena
2014-10-19, 09:17 PM
Aerani Focus works for all skills. You can even grab something stupid, like Scry or Control Shape.

"You're not even a lycanthrope."
"EXACTLY!"

Troacctid
2014-10-19, 09:22 PM
Setting myself up for a smackdown here i guess but. As far as i can read the feat doesn't mention being restricted to the variant skill rules specfically. Unless im missing something?

It's in a variant rule section of a variant rule book. Ask your DM.

Ethelesin
2014-10-19, 09:26 PM
Aerani Focus i cant seem to find anywhere. As for asking the DM, aint got one, this is just for general character creation/optimization. (And okay, i'll admit i got at thing for Iaijutsu, sue me)

Forrestfire
2014-10-19, 09:28 PM
Aereni Focus is from Player's Guide to Eberron. I'm not sure how you missed it, it's the first result in google, even with the misspelling :smallconfused:

Ethelesin
2014-10-19, 09:33 PM
Pretty early in the day for me, coffee hasn't sunk in yet, thanks for the correction. Found it and yeah seems solid gives me options for an elf atleast.

Petrocorus
2014-10-19, 10:10 PM
There is also the Apprentice feat from DMG 2, maybe you can work with that.

Generic class from UA can chose their class skills.

Amphetryon
2014-10-19, 10:23 PM
There is also the Apprentice feat from DMG 2, maybe you can work with that.

Generic class from UA can chose their class skills.

Where can i find that feat?

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has the version of the Cosmopolitan feat referenced; unfortunately, it appears to have been modified in PGtF, and now adds to Bluff, Gather Info, and Sense Motive instead.

Petrocorus
2014-10-19, 10:30 PM
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has the version of the Cosmopolitan feat referenced; unfortunately, it appears to have been modified in PGtF, and now adds to Bluff, Gather Info, and Sense Motive instead.

Just found it and checked. PGtF indeed has modified it. And by RAW, this is the legal one. Check with DM.

sideswipe
2014-10-20, 10:25 AM
sohei has been missed from the list of classes

the nice thing about iaijitsu focus is that it it not trained only. remember it for every time you draw a weapon and attack ;)

Curmudgeon
2014-10-20, 02:20 PM
the nice thing about iaijitsu focus is that it it not trained only. remember it for every time you draw a weapon and attack ;)
You might also want to remember that there's no result listed for checks under 10, which means your DM can make something up: like maybe you drop your weapon in your haste to draw it and attack. :smalltongue:

Ethelesin
2014-10-20, 03:02 PM
You might also want to remember that there's no result listed for checks under 10, which means your DM can make something up: like maybe you drop your weapon in your haste to draw it and attack. :smalltongue:

A critical failure with an Iaijutsu check... That'd be a sight to see. Imagine two guys having a stand off, they both draw and one chops his own arm off. :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2014-10-20, 03:12 PM
A critical failure with an Iaijutsu check... That'd be a sight to see. Imagine two guys having a stand off, they both draw and one chops his own arm off. :smallbiggrin:
I think that sort of result is a bit absurd — unless you perhaps have spellcasters blow themselves up on a regular basis. :smallbiggrin:

Ethelesin
2014-10-20, 03:18 PM
I think that sort of result is a bit absurd — unless you perhaps have spellcasters blow themselves up on a regular basis. :smallbiggrin:

That'd be possibly the most hilarious campaign ever, anything but a say... 15+ results in backfiring shenanigans. Frustrating to be sure, but potentially amazing as your fighter disembowels himself time and time again and your wizard tears his own soul out with a save or die gone awry. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2014-10-20, 05:38 PM
Quoth Curmudgeon:

You might also want to remember that there's no result listed for checks under 10, which means your DM can make something up: like maybe you drop your weapon in your haste to draw it and attack.
By that logic, there's no result listed for Jump checks under 5, either. So a DM could with equal justification that you accidentally fall into orbit on a botched Jump check.

Or you could just assume that, absent any rule to the contrary, a failed skill check just means that you don't accomplish whatever it was you were trying to do (traverse a distance with Jump, or deal extra damage with Iaijutsu).

Curmudgeon
2014-10-20, 07:10 PM
By that logic, there's no result listed for Jump checks under 5, either.
I don't know where you're getting that idea from. Jump checks use the standard 3.5 skill mechanism of a DC and a check that either succeeds or fails relative to that DC. If you want to make a 5' Long Jump with a running start that's DC 5, and you either succeed or fail. The rules are very clear.
If your check succeeds, you land on your feet at the far end. If you fail the check by less than 5, you don’t clear the distance, but you can make a DC 15 Reflex save to grab the far edge of the gap. You end your movement grasping the far edge. If that leaves you dangling over a chasm or gap, getting up requires a move action and a DC 15 Climb check. If your DC is under 5 I don't think you can actually accomplish anything, but the rules still say what happens.

Iaijutsu Focus, on the other hand, doesn't use this standard check vs. DC mechanism. Instead, it uses a check without a DC and a table saying what happens for results of 10+. It doesn't say anything about what happens if your check is under 10.

Ethelesin
2014-10-21, 01:44 AM
Getting the thread back on track (crosses fingers for not being a necromancer) so far the options for getting Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill i see are.

Classes; Factotum, Savant, Human Paragon, Exemplar, Expert, or Samurai (OA).
Feats; Aereni Focus (Elf only, setting specific?), Apprentice and (depending on DM approval) Skill Knowledge.

Did i miss anything?

Troacctid
2014-10-21, 02:09 AM
Sohei. Ardent Dilettante. Generic classes variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm). Um...there might be others too.

Swaoeaeieu
2014-10-21, 04:02 AM
able learner feat. It let's you use all skills at a 1:1 skill point ratio instead of 2:1.
Iajutsu is untrained so everyone can learn it.

Also: this link is awsome for iajutsu idea's (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8741.0)

Chronos
2014-10-21, 09:28 AM
Able Learner feat doesn't let you do anything you couldn't do without it, as it leaves the cross-class skill cap in place. It just lets you do it more cheaply. It only really comes into its own if you either want to dabble in a whole bunch of cross-class skills (as opposed to dabbling only in a few), or if you have a brief dip in a class that gives the class skills you want (if it's more than a brief dip, then the feat doesn't make much difference).