PDA

View Full Version : Line or cone?

Extra Anchovies
2014-10-20, 12:33 AM
Assuming damage, save DC, energy type, and all other things are equal, which is better: a 30-foot cone, or a 60-foot line? If you want context, this is for a limited uses/day breath weapon on a melee-focused character.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-20, 12:39 AM
I prefer lines as the range is generally longer and it's easier to finesse into hard spots without accidentally nuking your buddies.

Manly Man
2014-10-20, 12:53 AM
I prefer lines as the range is generally longer and it's easier to finesse into hard spots without accidentally nuking your buddies.

This. The only time I prefer the cones is for when I'm DMing a dragon, at which point I really appreciate being able to turn the entire party into glass in one round. :smallamused:

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-20, 05:47 AM
Most of the time, I'd agree with the others and say line, but a front-line fighter is one of the few roles that can probably get a lot more use out of the shorter cone-shaped area.

Gwendol
2014-10-20, 08:07 AM
Cone, for a front-line character.

Psyren
2014-10-20, 08:52 AM
Lines are more precise but there are also far fewer of them (at least in PF.) There are also a wider variety of saving throws in cones than in lines. Of those with saves, almost all target Reflex, with just two for Fort and none for Will.