PDA

View Full Version : Original System There is Something in the Woods

infinidimincorp
2014-10-20, 08:42 AM
So, my wife and I have just finished and published our first roleplay game - There is Something in the Woods.

http://www.timralphs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/TiSitWcover.jpg

It's a one-off survival horror game, perhaps more of a storygame than classic roleplay. You're stranded. It's four days to the nearest town. And there is *something* in the woods. The mechanics focus on group dynamics and the balance between group and individual survival, as well as ensuring everyone contributes to the story.

I appreciate it's a bit cheeky coming on here to share something, but I figured that, with Halloween around the corner, this might be of interest to a few folks. Also, it's free to download here (http://www.timralphs.com/there-is-something-in-the-woods).

Warning! The game text itself is a bit sweary.

Just to Browse
2014-10-21, 02:43 PM
A very interesting system, I like that it's nearly DM-less, and I love the mechanics encouraging you to screw your friends over.

2014-10-21, 08:16 PM
Okay, stupid question:

Where can I find the rules?

Just to Browse
2014-10-21, 09:06 PM
Click the picture of the cover on the linked post.

gr8artist
2014-10-21, 09:42 PM
Oh my gosh I love this. So elegant. So simple. So... beautiful.

Great job. I plan to play this soon.

2014-10-22, 10:21 AM
Okay, I've only read the overview so far, but there's one thing I have to say:
I love how blunt this manual is.
If you take self-centered actions, you aren't making the group "more vulnerable" or something, you're simply making them "closer to ****ed." This is genius.

AuraTwilight
2014-10-22, 03:50 PM
Well I know what I'm doing Halloween night.

MoleMage
2014-10-22, 04:08 PM
Wow. Color me impressed.

infinidimincorp
2014-10-23, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all your kind words! (And, yeah, I accept it isn't obvious how to download. I may try and tweak that...)

If anyone does play then it'd be great for you to let us know how it went. There were some awesome games during playtesting - everything from girl scouts that wrote a creepy song for "Mr Smiles" to a mafia hit team that got in all sorts of trouble trying to dispose of a body.

MoleMage
2014-10-23, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all your kind words! (And, yeah, I accept it isn't obvious how to download. I may try and tweak that...)

If anyone does play then it'd be great for you to let us know how it went. There were some awesome games during playtesting - everything from girl scouts that wrote a creepy song for "Mr Smiles" to a mafia hit team that got in all sorts of trouble trying to dispose of a body.

I'll post a journal written from an IC point of view after we run it. Kinda want to write it anyway, so I may as well share right?