PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Breaking a Game... for Revenge

Erarem
2014-10-20, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while but hadn't yet had a good reason to post. Anyway, I let my buddy take over DMing my third-level pathfinder game, and throughout the day before we played, he'd been joking about killing off the character I had just made and making jokes about changing his name to Gaggin On (because they found him gagged and chained up in a prison). The rest of the party was a Witch, a bow-ranger, a TWF ranger, and New DM's Half-Orc Fighter that he'd been playing in my game. I made a Dwarf Rogue 2/Conjuration-Teleportation Wiz 1 build, with a low constitution and the Magic Resistant trait. I know, Arcane Tricksters are awful, but it seemed like a fun idea to try. Anyways, my someday-Arcane Trickster got nailed four rounds into the first combat of his game- after which the rest of the party spent the rest of the session trying to get him to a temple to resurrect him. The party had been fighting a half-orc with an 18 strength and a d10 damage-dealing weapon he was two-handing.
Anyways, party's trying to bring him back, it hasn't happened yet, but it will fail- for one thing, he's got spell resistance that he can't turn off when he's dead, and for another, I think bringing a character back is complete cheese. I'm actually not mad about my shiny new character dying- just that the DM seemed to have wanted it to happen so badly, it seems like poor sportsmanship to actually target him during gameplay. I think he was expecting that as the most experienced player (and as the previous GM) I would make an optimized build of some sort, and an Arcane Trickster with a low Con is not at all optimized for anything but dying quickly.

It's another Conjuration- Teleport Wizard but this time all 3 levels, Elf with 20 Int and 18 Dex and has Extra Traits (Adopted [Dwarves - Magic Resistance], Underlying Principals, and Second Chance] and Craft Wondrous Item (allowing him to start with Cloak of Resistance, Bracers of Armor, a Pearl of Power 1, and a boatload of Scrolls). But he doesn't have any direct-damage spells, just summons, enchantments and party buffs, including Summon Monster II, which allows summoning a Small Elemental.

Like the Gravity Elemental. For the duration of the Summon Monster you have a tiny, angry black hole that has a two ten-foot cubes of Reverse Gravity and Telekinesis and is immune to normal ranged attacks.
Next session will be interesting.

So what do you guys think?

Tohsaka Rin
2014-10-20, 10:51 AM
...Why would your corpse have Spell Resistance?

Larkas
2014-10-20, 11:19 AM
I think that trying to break a game for revenge is petty and immature. The best way to solve OOC problems is by talking to the DM OOC.

Psyren
2014-10-20, 11:23 AM
...Huh, I just noticed that Raise Dead is SR: Yes. Like, when would that ever come up?

1) Gravity Elemental is 3rd-party.
2) Player/DM problems should be settled out of game.

Erarem
2014-10-20, 12:59 PM
Name calling aside I guess you guys are right. I'd still rather play a new character though, and this one will be decidedly more powerful than the last, but I'll drop the game-breaking and gravity elemental thing.
In any case, he's relinquishing DMship to me again in a few sessions; it was just unpleasantly surprising that the first time I get to play rather than DM my character has the lifespan of a snowball in hell. Nobody ever complains about my DMing style and in fact, I usually get complements on it from players in my games. Maybe they just really didn't want me playing instead.
On a related note, do you guys usually allow third party material in your games?

Psyren
2014-10-20, 01:11 PM
On a related note, do you guys usually allow third party material in your games?

It depends on the publisher and the subject. Dreamscarred Press for instance is highly regarded around here.

Gravity Elementals appear to come from Necromancer Games, and I'm afraid I'm not familiar with their work.

skypse
2014-10-20, 01:22 PM
Best way to break a game:

Race: ORC
Class: Barbie
Weapon of choise: Heavy flail.

How you break the game:

You buy an actual real life/real size heavy flail, you get in the room that you and your friends play (saying that you have your weapon for RP) and when you attack the first criter you find in front of you you stand up, scream on the top of your lungs "DIE YOU FILTHY CREATURE" and you LITERALLY CRASH THE GAME TABLE WITH YOUR IMMENSE STRENGTH AND YOUR HEAVY FLAIL.

Then sit back down on your chair and throw your damage dice on the remainders of the table.

Psyren
2014-10-20, 02:50 PM
Best way to break a game:

Class: Barbie
Weapon of choise: Heavy flail.

How you break the game:

You buy an actual real life/real size heavy flail, you get in the room that you and your friends play (saying that you have your weapon for RP) and when you attack the first criter you find in front of you you stand up, scream on the top of your lungs "DIE YOU FILTHY CREATURE" and you LITERALLY CRASH THE GAME TABLE WITH YOUR IMMENSE STRENGTH AND YOUR HEAVY FLAIL.

Then sit back down on your chair and throw your damage dice on the remainders of the table.

+
Class: Barbie, Breaker Archetype
+
Rage Power: Smasher
+
Weapon: Maul of the titans
+
Strengh Score: Over 9000
=
V-I-C-T-O-R-Y

You take an Orc (not half-orc. Half-orcs SUCK). You put everything you have on DEX and STR. EVERYTHING. 7 INT, 7 WIS, 7 CHA.
x levels Barbie. Weapon focus composite Longbow with strength rating 2 points higher than your non-rage strength modifier (so you have it perfect during rage). You have a friend from your party turn your character to be facing the enemies. You start shooting everything using javelins (arrows are just too small for your strength so they would break once you shot them). Your friend tells you to stop when everything's dead. VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sensing a theme here :smallbiggrin:

skypse
2014-10-20, 05:20 PM
I'm sensing a theme here :smallbiggrin:

Your senses are correct my fellow giant!!!! ORCS can do everything, better than anyone! As anyone can see (thanks for gathering the quotes in 1 post), they can adapt in any situation and their racial attributes are perfect in any case! It's like Marvel's Avengers: If everything else fails, HULK SMASH the sh1t out of the enemies!

The Insanity
2014-10-21, 01:38 AM
I think you should be more mature than that and talk with him about it. But if he supposedly was just joking then maybe it was an accident, considering that your character was unoptimized in the surviving area. Don't get me wrong though, I'd still keep an eye on him next time he's DMing. Also, I'd take a slight revenge by joking that you'd kill his character, but not actually planning to do it. That'll make him sweat a little.

twilsemail
2014-10-21, 07:36 AM
Extra Traits (Adopted [Dwarves - Magic Resistance], Underlying Principals, and Second Chance]

As everyone has already spoken about this being an OOG problem that should be dealt with OOG, I'll bring this up.

Adopted (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/TraitDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Adopted) gives you a Race Trait (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Traits.aspx?Type=Race), not a Racial Trait. Poor choice form paizo in naming two things so similarly.