PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Iaido

Haedrian
2007-03-18, 10:01 AM
Iaido.
Requirements (Weapon Proficiency: Bladed Weapon (the one to be used)
Base Attack Bonus + 7, Weapon Finesse, Dexterity 13+

Iaido is the art of unsheathing a blade, attacking, flicking the blood off and
sheathing it again in a fluid motion.

This feat allows an unarmed character to attack with a bladed weapon, and to
redraw it (freeing his hands again) in a fullround action. Where the base attack
bonus (or other) would allow multiple attacks per round, these may be taken.
The blade in question must be a one-handed sword. The character still counts
as an unarmed opponent (for him attempting attacks of opportunity), and the blade may not
be sundered.
Locked gauntlets may not be used in order to gain the benefit of this feat.

The Exile
2007-03-18, 10:47 AM
How is this better than the Quick Draw feat?

Haedrian
2007-03-18, 10:55 AM
Its better because I forgot the Quick Draw feat existed.

*sighs*

Ok never mind.. *scraps*
Thanks for pointing it out =)

Zeta Kai
2007-03-18, 11:45 AM
I seem to recall something like this in Oriental Adventures. 2nd Edition? Or 3rd? I'll head to my library & check the tomes...

Maerok
2007-03-18, 11:51 AM
I believe Mercurial Strike lets you draw and get an attack of opportunity against an opponent. (Quick Draw is its prereq)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-18, 11:54 AM
Oriental Adventures had the Iaijutsu focus skill which gets little love but is in fact awesome. I just wish I hadn't decieded to allow it in d20 Modern ("you just did what to that tank?).

Zeta Kai
2007-03-18, 11:54 AM
Ahh, here we go. 3rd edition Oriental Adventures has something very similar, the iaijutsu ("fast-draw") duels, on page 83-84. Mechanically, it is not unlike the psychic duels (page 84), which were in 2nd edition. There is also the Iaijutsu Focus skill (page 58), the Iaijutsu Master feat (page 63), & the Iaijutsu Master PrC (page 41).

Isn't having every book published grand? ;)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-18, 11:59 AM
Isn't having every book published grand? ;)

If you REALLY have every book ever published there are some collectors and university professers who really want to talk to you :wink:

Oddly the Iaijutsu duels are in fact closer to European Duels and Wild West duels (the official d20 Modern site had an article on wild west shoot outs that was identicle to the Iaijutsu duel rules) to anything in actual Japanese history. There's fantasy settings for you.

Zeta Kai
2007-03-18, 12:09 PM
Well, I do speak in hyperbole (a handy quirk for a DM), but my collection is getting cumbersome. BTW, for amateur collectors of old edition books, I can't recommend enough a trip to your local Half-Price Books. They usually have odd treasures of games past. That where I found a complete collection of the Street Fighter RPG (basically a bastardized version of White Wolf's WoD gaming engine).

bluish_wolf
2007-03-19, 06:02 AM
Quick Draw allows you to draw your weapon for free, but you still need to drop it if you want to use another weapon or do something with your hands. So...

How about this:

Iaido (I won't mess with the name)
Prerequisites: Quick Draw

Users of this skill may sheathe their weapon for a free action rather than a simple one.

This character is always considered armed as long as he is carrying a weapon.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 06:05 AM
Yep, thats the only difference.

But if i do (just) that, it wont be a very popular one.

I mean, you wouldn't need something like that would you?

Plus you'l lose AOO if you're unarmed (unless you're a monk), so it'd be rather useless.

bluish_wolf
2007-03-19, 06:08 AM
Well, it would let you draw, attack, and then sheathe all with one fluid motion - which is essentially what you wanted, right? OK, OK, I'll add: "This character is always considered armed as long as he is carrying a weapon."

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 06:10 AM
Ok

Thats much better :)

Its something I would use...

Thank you

Attilargh
2007-03-19, 08:13 AM
Add a note that sheathing a weapon does not provoke an AoO, and you're good.

As an aside, sheathing a weapon is normally a move action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#moveActions).

Demented
2007-03-19, 03:32 PM
Plus you'l lose AOO if you're unarmed (unless you're a monk), so it'd be rather useless.

And an idea strikes.

Perhaps make that the focus of the feat. So long as you can draw your weapon as a free action, you threaten the area around you/can make attacks of opportunity as if you already had your weapon drawn. Quickdraw would be an obvious prerequisite.