PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Blind archery

Xuldarinar
2014-10-20, 11:23 AM
While there is clearly support for characters who cannot see their target to deal with melee combat, via the aptly named blind-fight feat, but what about for ranged? How would one go about building an effective, blind ranged combatant under pathfinder? Not looking for optimized, though that would be nice, I simply want to see if someone could get the concept to function.

Psyren
2014-10-20, 11:26 AM
1) Psionics is your best bet, using Touchsight, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/t/touchsight) which will allow you to see without seeing. It is even on the Marksman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/marksman) list.

2) If you have to stick to first-party, your best bet for a "Blind" character is probably going to be Oracle.

Xuldarinar
2014-10-20, 12:15 PM
1) Psionics is your best bet, using Touchsight, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/t/touchsight) which will allow you to see without seeing. It is even on the Marksman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/marksman) list.

2) If you have to stick to first-party, your best bet for a "Blind" character is probably going to be Oracle.

Thank you, especially for directing me towards psionics. I just noticed that the mystic archer grants blind sense, tremorsense, and blindsight. Even says in the flavor text of the PrC 'The techniques of the mystic archer are thought to have been discovered by a skilled marksman rendered blind.'

Psyren
2014-10-20, 12:19 PM
Just be advised that the Mystic Archer has a bit of a handicap if you're actually blind. You don't gain true blindsight until 6th level (ECL 12 minimum), thus everyone still has concealment even with your blindsense and thus you cannot actually use its sneak attack ability. It also doesn't advance manifesting.

On an archer that can see it's decent, but not amazing either (no bonus feats is painful for any archer since there are so many you need.)

Fax Celestis
2014-10-20, 12:21 PM
It takes seven levels to get there, but a SIghted Seeker's remote viewing ability also might enable a blind archer.

skypse
2014-10-20, 01:01 PM
You take an Orc (not half-orc. Half-orcs SUCK). You put everything you have on DEX and STR. EVERYTHING. 7 INT, 7 WIS, 7 CHA.
x levels Barbie. Weapon focus composite Longbow with strength rating 2 points higher than your non-rage strength modifier (so you have it perfect during rage). You have a friend from your party turn your character to be facing the enemies. You start shooting everything using javelins (arrows are just too small for your strength so they would break once you shot them). Your friend tells you to stop when everything's dead. VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danzibr
2014-10-20, 01:09 PM
You take an Orc (not half-orc. Half-orcs SUCK). You put everything you have on DEX and STR. EVERYTHING. 7 INT, 7 WIS, 7 CHA.
x levels Barbie. Weapon focus composite Longbow with strength rating 2 points higher than your non-rage strength modifier (so you have it perfect during rage). You have a friend from your party turn your character to be facing the enemies. You start shooting everything using javelins (arrows are just too small for your strength so they would break once you shot them). Your friend tells you to stop when everything's dead. VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love this suggestion.

(not related to the above quote) Reminds me of the archer from Planescape: Torment.

Raphite1
2014-10-20, 02:55 PM

If it's a magic bow, add on "Adaptive" for just 1000k 1000gp more. Full advantage from buffs, less disadvantage from debuffs!

BWR
2014-10-20, 03:20 PM
"Adaptive" for just 1000k more.!

I'm pretty sure it's less than 'just' one million gp. ;)

Raphite1
2014-10-20, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's less than 'just' one million gp. ;)

Hahaha, good catch. A SIMPLE ROUNDING ERROR.

Seerow
2014-10-20, 04:03 PM
If it's a magic bow, add on "Adaptive" for just 1000k 1000gp more. Full advantage from buffs, less disadvantage from debuffs!

What's the source on adaptive?

Raphite1
2014-10-20, 04:15 PM
What's the source on adaptive?

In Ultimate Equipment, down under "Ranged Weapon Special Abilities".

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/magicArmsAndArmor/weaponSpecialAbilities.html

Actually looks like you have to pay for an additional +1 bonus in addition to the "Adaptive" ability, which means I need to recalculate the price of an item I'm taking in a new campaign, ack.

skypse
2014-10-20, 05:17 PM
He can also hang on his javelins some bombs (say that the previous friend is an alchemist) so that his blind-archery-fighting does AoE damage as well!!!!!