PDA

View Full Version : Planescape - Dead Gods Campaign

Filtro
2014-10-20, 11:39 AM
PROLOGUE

"Know that now and forevermore, he who once claimed Thanatos is no more. The past master of this place is gone and shall not return. I, Kiaransalee, Mother of Vengeance and Mistress of Unlife, rule here now and shall into infinity. My will is law in Thanatos, for it is now my realm.
"Let no soul, mortal or otherwise, speak of the former ruler again. Let no written word, anywhere in all existence, past or present, record his misbegotten appellation. Let this be the last moment any creatures ever hear the name fall upon their ears. The last voice to speak the name shall be that of his executioner, and I say it now for the final time: "ORCUS!"

Sometime in the not-so-distant past, something occurred on the Astral Plane, an event that'd have repercussions throughout the multiverse: A dead god began to stir. 'Course, fallen deities return to life every now and then, but this time was different. The power continued to rise, his appearance slowly changing, his form slowly warping. Then the god simply vanished from the Silver Void. Only the Guardian of the Dead Gods, he who once was Anubis, noticed this disappearance - and he shuddered at the implications. One of his charges was returning to life.
And his name was Orcus.

Forces - possibly inadvertent, possibly not - conspired to bring the dead god back. Somewhere in a tiny demiplane known as the City That Waits, a number of the former Abyssal Lord's worshippers suddenly awoke from their eternal slumber. Somewhere on the Prime, a lich named Acererak stirred up the dark suspension of the Negative Energy Plane with a barmy scheme. Somewhere in a completely different world, a once-powerful devotee of the god of undeath sent one last impassioned prayer.

Who knows how it all came together? Who knows the true dark of such things? Somehow, a dead power was given another chance to right the wrongs committed against him. A single word escaped the lips of the tanar'ri god as he rose from the Silver Void: "Vengeance."

THE FALL OF ORCUS
It all started long ago, when a minor demipower named Kiaransalee first stood against the tanar'ri lord. See, Orcus ruled a layer of the Abyss (some say multiple layers), and his realm was filled with the undead over which he held sway. Planewalkers unfortunate enough to have stumbled into Thanatos - but lucky enough to have given it the laugh - described it as an endless, ghoullish reverie. At least, they did at first. Over the eons, however, the realm grew as fat and inattentive as the Abyssal Lord himself. No one had ever challenged the mighty Orcus, and he began to lose the dark edge that'd helped him rise to a position of power in the first place. His actions were careless, and his realm became a place of cold, quiet, undead languor.

That's when Kiaransalee, a drow goddess of vengeance, made her move. She'd somehow been slighted by the tanar'ri lord. To this day, no one really knows the nature of the offence, or even if it was grievous or minor. Some folks rattle their bone-boxes that Orcus's actions caused her to remain only a demipower among the drow when she'd had a chance to supplant Lolth. Others say that the crime was trivial. To Kiaransalee, the details hardly mattered. She conspired against Orcus and eventually slew him through treachery and surprise, quickly usurping his realm and position.

Thus, the first utterance by the tanar'ri lord upon his rebirth could have been either an oath or a reference to a former wrong. But even when revived from his deathlike slumber, Orcus still wasn't truly restored to life. His new existence more closely mirrored that of the undead over which he'd once ruled. He'd become an undead god.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140707153507/dnd4/images/0/08/Orcus.jpg

THE RISE OF TENEBROUS
To celebrate and signify his new state of existence, Orcus chose a new name. Now a thin, small, shadowy creature, he called himself "Tenebrous", for he was shut off from the light of life forevermore. What's more, he'd lost too much strength to hold onto his former level of divinity. Lesser than even a demipower now, Tenebrous could no longer form avatars. But make no mistake - he was still a god, far beyond the strength of the mightiest mortal, and still in command of potent and terrible might. More than ever before, he hungered to exact revenge on those who'd wronged him. And in his new, twisted state - twisted both physically and mentally - that meant everyone in the multiverse.

Bathed in unholy energies, Tenebrous left the Astral by way of Yggdrasil, the World Ash, whose branches wind their way through the cosmos to reach many (some say all) planes.
He knew he'd need help to regain his former power, but in trying to summon his old servants, Tenebrous discovered that they, too, had been slain by Kiaransalee. So he brought them back to unlife. These undead tanar'ri he called visages, and he set them upon the task of secretly gathering information to aid in his vengeance. Yggdrasil allowed them to walk the planes as needed, and the quiet town of Crux - nestled in the branches of the World Ash - served as a secret base.

No one knows exactly how much time passed at this point in the tale. Suffice it to say that some years later Tenebrous discovered the means by which to achieve his evil goal.
In the ruins of Pelion on the plane of Arborea, the undead lord found the Last Word. It was the ultimate magic of unmaking, a force potent enough to slay even a god - just the thing Tenebrous'd sought.

But he still couldn't make his move. He had nearly everything he needed: the power to slay anyone in his path, a small but efficient army of infiltrators, a convenient base for his cadre of spies, and a fortress known as Tcian Sumere hidden deep within the Negative Energy Plane (a hideaway he'd created long ago for just such an emergency).
But Tenebrous lacked one important item - the talisman that made him what he was. He needed his symbol, the tool that contained a portion of his very essence. The thing that'd make it clear to his enemies that he had returned. The thing that'd let him strike fear into the hearts of his foes, so that they'd know in their last seconds of life exactly who'd defeated them.
The being that had been Orcus needed his wand.

THE TALE OF THE WAND
In those long years past, when the goddess Kiaransalee destroyed and supplanted Orcus, she left no deed undone. She killed his servants and slew each of his proxies, all except for Rotting Jack, who convinced her to take him as her own. (Sure, Kiaransalee knew that Jack was trying to bob her to gain power for himself, but she brought him into her fold for amusement.)

The goddess then used strong magic to wipe away every mention of her foe's name, wherever and however it'd been recorded. She lacked the power to erase the very memory of Orcus from the minds of the multiverse (which is what she really wanted to do) but her enchantment still swept through the planes, removing the name "Orcus" from all histories, etchings, and the like. Thus did she reshape Thanatos into her own image, though the undead residents remained virtually unchanged.

http://www.worldofazolin.com/wiki/images/3/3a/Kiaransalee.jpg

Lastly, Kiaransalee dealt with the Wand of Orcus, the former ruler's most cherished and mighty artifact. She gave it to Kestod and Erehe, two of her living drow followers. (While the power of the wand put them in great danger, the goddess didn't trust her new undead followers - certainly not Rotting Jack! - with so potent an artifact.) Kiaransalee transported the two drow to Agathion, the fourth layer of Pandemonium, where they buried the wand in an unknowable, unreachable vault of stone. Then she brought them back and ewarded the berks by drowning them both in the River Styx. Thus, not only were they dead (and could tell no tales), but even if they were contacted or restored to life, they'd remember nothing.

Kiaransalee felt confident that the Wand of Orcus would stay lost forever - so confident, in factm that she actually allowed one of the dead drow to return. Erehe had been the beloved consort of one of Kiaransalee's most powerful priestesses, so the goddess allowed him to be resurrected and rejoin his lover on the Prime Material Plane. The other drow, Kestod, became an undead creature in his mistress's realm, as did all of her petitioners. And short-sighted Kiaransalee forgot about them both, focusing instead on running her new realm (which was quite large for a demipower) and scheming to unseat Lolth.

Recently...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140117235312/sfery/images/f/f3/Primus_and_Tenebrous_by_Adam_Rex-2628_(1997-09)_WOTC_TSR_AD%26D_2ed_Planescape_Adventure_-_The_Great_Modron_March.jpg

The secundus left the chamber after communing with the One and the Prime. It scuttled off to find a lesser tertian and relay its orders so that Primus's directives would work their way down the chain of command/communication. The required tasks would then be completed in an orderly and timely fashion. Its pace was even, its steps unhurried. Everything in Regulus operated smoothly, efficiently, and by the lawful pattern. It always did.

The One and the Prime was left alone in the central chamber hidden away in the bowels of the Great Modron Cathedral. It was, as always, connected to the latticework of waxy strands called the Infinity Web, which provided it with information from throughout the gears of Mechanus - and, to a lesser extent, much of the entire multiverse. Through its connection to the web, Primus saw through the eyes of all of its subordinates - even those it had dispatched throughout the planes and those it had commanded to gaze into the Cathedral's Orrery and observe the actions of creatures everywhere. The One and the Prime observed as much or more than any other being in the multiverse. Everything within the central chamber (and indeed, all of Mechanus) was operating smoothly, efficiently, and by the lawful pattern. It always -

Suddenly, the One and the Prime detected movement within the central chamber - a great deal of movement. Unproductive moments passed as it grappled with the impossibility of what was occurring. It doubted its own ocular senses until it performed an internal examination, proving that its faculties were functioning perfectly. It then confirmed this visual information with its other perceptions. Yes, definitely the impossible had transpired. Then Primus registered a rare correction: This event was not impossible, but merely improbable, since it has obviously occurred.
The central chamber of Primus, the One and the Prime, had been invaded.

It attempted to contact one of the secundi, but the communication was prevented by unknown means. Apparently, the Supreme Modron reasoned, the invaders had counted on its initial surprise at their intrusion and had used the time to cut Primus off from its underlings. Nevertheless, adaptation was occasionally required even for beings of perfect order. It was time to adjust to these new events, not to panic. Despite incontrovertible evidence of the fallibility of Regulus' defenses, there was no reason to doubt its own supreme power or to believe that it was in any danger.

The intruders vaguely resembled beings from the planes commonly classified as "Lower," but they did not exactly match any known type of fiend that had fallen under the Gear God's near-omnipresent eye. The creatures scurried about the central chamber in a most disordered fashion, performing deeds Primus could not begin to guess at (although, to be sure, guessing was not among its strengths). The creatures in front of Primus then moved aside, revealing a shadowy figure behind them that slid forward the One and the Prime.

"You know me, do you not, modron?" The figure expelled the words like venom, pronouncing the last as though it was the worst possible insult he could imagine. The shadow moved even closer, so that Primus saw him fully.

Quickly and efficiently assessing and collating the date from all of its various senses, the One and the Prime determined with certainty that it did, indeed, know the intruder's identity. Knowledge of this identity made it uncomfortable in a way it could not define.

"Yes," Primus finally said in a monotone that disseminated throughout the room and carried a hint of shock noticeable only to the most careful of listeners. The creature before it seeped out a nightmare smile that revealed he was just such a listener. "But obviously, an elaborate deception is at work here. You are dead."

The shadow smiled. "Yes, I am. But I've no time for your short-sighted observations. Do you know where my talisman lies?"

Primus accessed all the memories it possessed of the intruder - the log of personal recollections and those it had collected from its modron servants. Those memories were fairly extensive, considering the subject matter and the fact there had never been any direct contact between the modron lord or its subordinates and the subject. The creature had definitely been a major entity long ago, before all reports indicated he was dead. The One and the Prime knew the item that the intruder spoke of, but all of its collated observations did not reveal what had become of the object after its owner's death, nor could it determine the item's current whereabouts.

"No." Primus answered truthfully.
The One and the Prime reeled in disbelief as it felt the intruder psychically delve into its heretofore inviolate, incomparable mind. Just as suddenly, the creature's foul mental touch withdrew and he spat. "Yes, of course you're telling the truth...Simpleton." A smile crossed his horrid visage yet again. "But there's a way you can find out where it lies - you and your little automatons."

The intruder stepped forward again as the One and the Prime grappled with the realization that it was at the mercy of this creature - within its sacrosanct central chamber, no less. Even as it futilely attempted to summon its guardians, the creature spoke again. "Of course, I can't let word of my existence to be revealed yet, and I don't actually need you alive to accomplish what must be done here."

With that, the dark intruder spoke the Last Word, and Primus, the One and the Prime, died. A clawed hand caressed the Infinity Web, and the creature's hideous smile broadened. The sight chilled even the desiccated spirits of its fiendish companions.

Filtro
2014-10-20, 11:41 AM
Now...

Like so many good tales, this one begins in The Cage - Sigil, the City of Doors - in an ordinary day...

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/141977/sigil.jpg

Muenster Man
2014-10-21, 09:22 PM
Theo Sethorn awoke in an inn and rolled over on his bed. A crumpled up note was there on his nightstand. They were directions, a goal for Theo to accomplish from his new friends at the Sensates.
It read:
I can't believe you've never you had a decent bottle of wine?! You're a Prime, how is that possible? Go to these locations, buy a bottle of wine, and simply taste them. Then tell us what you think. Write it down if you need to, just have something ready for us.

Cap't Norrin's Exotic Imports

Otherworldly Delights

Gareer's Local Winery

Hmmmm, I don't think I've ever had an assignment this casual but exciting. All of these should be in the Great Bazaar, if what Vel-Kez said was true.
He rolls out of bed, puts on his fine clothes, buckles his belt and places his rapier on it. He straightens his cuffs, slides a dagger into his sleeve, and straightens his cuffs one more time for good measure. He straps another to his ankle and pulls up his boots enough to cover most of it. Licking his hands, he runs his fingers through his hair and straps his quiver and bow onto his back. "You never know what kind of folks you'll run into in Sigil. Besides, I'm not the only one out there decked out like this."

He empties the rest of his pack in the room so he can store wine. Crossing the busy streets, he finds the shops he's looking for. None of the Sensates gave him any money to buy wine, they probably assumed he was rich based on his clothes. Oh well. Need to get a better feel for this place before I start stealing anyways. He spends 2.5 gold on 3 bottles of very fine wine and places them in his pack.

Theo breathed in a mouthful of air and was excited at the prospect of simply going back to the inn, getting trashed on good wine, and reporting the 'results' to the Sensates. Life was really beginning to turn around for him.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-22, 02:01 PM
You know... bubbles in bub were kind of pretty if you looked at them close. Like, reaaaaaaal close. Sitting your face down on the bar, and turning to look at your fifth glass of bub for the day despite it still being morning close. They all... danced. Or sort of fizzed a bit. They fizzed like... like things that fizzed. Fizzles. Fizzles were things. Thingles. Heh.

His face on the bar, the githyanki stared through the clouded glass into his cheap drink, a small amount of drool flowing onto the surface. He should... he should get some work soon. He couldn't afford many more pretty drinks like this if he didn't work soon. But work was harrrrrrd. And he only had, like, fifty more years a live if he didn't find a way to stop aging. That was like... like a snap. He knew a guy who'd taken a DUMP that lasted longer than fifty years. His life was a dump, done by one guy he knew once. So it was hard to do work when you were thinking 'this could be the last thing I do. I could go to the bathroom while on the job and die of old age while pooping'. It was depressing. Everything was depressing.

Picking up his drink in one hand, Zith attempted to drink it without having to manage the effort of lifting his head and failed miserably. Some of his drink spilled on the bar, making him a little bit frustrated, before he forced himself to sit up so he could down the glass in one. Sighing in something resembling satisfaction, he slammed it back onto the bar.

"Another! Other... another other? It's the um... the other one. No not another one, I like THIS one... this one, not the other one..." the gish slurred as he pointed at his empty glass.

"Blood bubber," the githyanki heard the barkeep mutter under his breath as he filled up another glass with a bottle of liquor that couldn't be worth more than copper for the whole thing.

"I'm... I'm not a babbler, I'm a Bleaker!" Zith protested as he picked up the glass. "The other guys are the babblers, the um... Zackerhacks, not the bleakers... bleakers... beakers... I don't want a beaker, I want a cup!" he slurred in protest, thudding his fist onto the bar before looking down into his other hand. "Oh it is a cup... okay that's... that's good... cups are good, not beakers. Feels like an alchemist lab in here with all the beakers everywhere..."

tomafox
2014-10-22, 02:13 PM
Vel-Kez walked silently along the Great Bazaar, searching for someone.
This morning he had received a message directly into his head. I call upon the Seeker. I am in need of guidance. Seek me in the Great Bazaar.
Sodding idiot client. Show yourself already.

Surgate
2014-10-23, 06:40 PM
While Zith continued to drink, a brief announcement was made for the next performance. By the looks of the man conducting the introductions, he was a Prime human in a cheap white business suit and fedora, both stained with red and black smudges, likely gunpowder and blood, and his smile was like two rows of replica diamonds, an absolute fake.

It is with much excitement and *cough* ahem, honor that I introduce the majestic winged dancer, Lady Desdemona, the Angel of Pleasure!

The stage in the back lit up, spot lights highlighting the satin show curtains, and when they split, there she was in her full splendor and sensational glory. Her hair matched the grand bluish green feathered wings protruding from her back, and the feathers seemed to accentuate her costume, a silk turquoise dress that made no effort to conceal her bosom or bottom.

Her hips swayed, and a high tempo beat played in the background as her head matched her hips, and her wings spread, and all at once she began her performance, moving to the music, losing herself in the experience, the sweat, the taste of ale on her tongue from the bar but moments before, and the eyes of everyone upon her.

Lady Desdemona embraced the moment, and expressed every whimsy that touched her limbs, and made them move with abandon. She flipped, and moved with daring, pushing the limits of how her body could move.

Performance: (+1 Char +2 Prof)[roll0]
Acrobatics: (+4 Dex, +2 Prof)[roll1]

kazooka
2014-10-24, 02:38 AM
She stretched like a large cat, predatory and utterly unconcerned with modesty. Langley traced the line of her with his eyes, then let his head rest on the pillow with a wide grin.

"I'm going to have to eat or drink something soon," he said. "I go too long like this, I'll die of dehydration."

The expression on her face was something almost-but not quite-like a smile.

"My beliefs allow for that," she said.

"Yeah, yeah, don't remind me."

She lifted herself up on one elbow, and turned towards him, a bemused expression on her face.

"Why does my faith bother, you Langley?"

"Bother me? It doesn't bother me."

"It does bother you. Belief bothers you."

"Just because I don't believe the way you do, you think that bothers me?"

"I don't know what bothers you, Langley. That's why I asked."

"Whenever anyone in this town starts talking about what they believe, the next step is telling you what you should believe, the step after that is telling everyone they should believe the same thing, and then we're not too far from 'everyone who doesn't believe has to die.' It's reflex, is all."

"I couldn't make you believe anything, Langley. You'd never believe it willingly. You don't know who you are, and you don't know what you want. How could I seed belief in such dry soil?"

"I know what I want," he leered, running a finger along her exposed hip. "Ow," he said. Then jumped up out of the bed grabbing his finger. "Ow, ow, OW! DAMN! What the-"

Dusty rolled over on the bed and looked up at him with a curious expression.

"Oh that son of a slaag!"

"What?" Dusty asked.

"That goat-arsed, double-crossing, son of a slaag!"

"What?!"

"He sold me some bad alc! The damn bariaur sold me a weak potion! He must have used half the cold talc he should have! If that had gone out at the wrong time, you could have killed me!"

Dusty started to laugh, a deep throated laugh from the bottom of her chest, and threw away the sheet covering the rest of her naked body, then relaxed into a mock-inviting recline.

"What's the matter, chiv? You want to live forever?"

Langley pulled his pants on, and began to thrown on his boots.

"Maybe not forever. I was thinking the next couple days might be nice though."

He pulled on his shirt, then grabbed his belt from the small table next to his door.

"Langley," she sang in a high, playful voice. "Where are you goooooing?"

"I'll be right back," Langley said, as he drew his strange, bent wand from it's place next to the window and slung it into its holster. "Just got to go see someone."

"Awww, did he take your money?" She giggled and wrapped the sheet back around her. "Did you spend all your money for a little time with me?"

"Ain't the money that bothers me," Langley said. "You let one person in this town cheat ya, might as well let everyone do it."

"No one ever tries to cheat me."

"Yeah well, funny how that works."

Langley reached under the bed and pulled out a polished dagger, then pulled a handkerchief from his pocket.

"I'm going to need something from you real quick," he said, then grabbed a lock of her long, curly hair with the handkerchief and shore off a small piece.

"HEY! What the hells, Langley?! I can't believe you just did that!"

She threw a pillow at him and it bounced off his shoulder as he carefully folded the hair inside the handkerchief and stuck it in his pocket.

"Sorry. Look, just stay right here, I won't be gone long."

"Oh no, take all the time you need," she said, bitterly. She wrapped the sheet back around her and sat up on the bed.

"I'll make it up to you," he yelled as he burst out the bedroom door and down the narrow spiral staircase. At the bottom, he ran into a grey wall that hadn't been there the night before.

"I don't like that woman in my house," rumbled the wall. "I don't like any of your women in my house."

Langley looked up, then looked up a little further, past a long grey neck, past a flat face with a broad nose, and finally into a pair of squinty, yellow eyes.

"That woman in particular, though," the wall said.

"Come on, Indrico," Langley said. "She's a great gal."

"She is elemental poison," Indrico continued. "She could kill us all if she were careless."

"Good thing she's not careless, then," said Langley, as he shuffled around Indrico's bulk and into the kitchen.

"She is an assassin."

"That's why she's not careless."

"Must you tempt death so brazenly? Is that her appeal?" Indrico followed Langley through the door in his strange, halting gait.

"No. That's not the point. Not quite. I mean, haven't you ever wanted something you couldn't have?"

"Yes. The continued existence of my people."

"Balls, you're cheery today. When was the last time you had a little, uh, company, anyways?"

Indrico cocked his head to the side at an unnatural angle.

"300,000 years ago."

"Lady's passing, no wonder you're so grumpy."

He picked up a strange biscuit from the counter and started to put it in his pocket, halted suddenly, then slipped it into the pocket that did not contain the incredibly toxic lock of hair.

"Why must you bring your women here? Why can't you take them roughly in a quiet pasture as the Gods of Tooth and Claw intended?"

"I---don't even know how to answer that," Langley said "Listen, we'll talk about this later; maybe we can find a nice malephant lady for you, huh? I've got to go talk to a bariaur real quick."

"The one that sold you the intemperate potion? Is that why you have ceased your mating rituals?"

"Does everyone know about that? No, wait, don't answer. If you know, then everyone knows. I gotta find this guy."

Indrico sighed.

"Do not be late for your shift at the store."

"Love you too, pops!" said Langley as he backed out of the door.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-24, 12:41 PM
Huh. Looks like the show was more interesting than the bubbles floating around in his bub. It was interesting enough that he kept his head raised off off of the bar to look at it, downing one last glass of bub before slamming it back onto the counter. It was kind of interesting how something can make you feel... well, anything when there wasn't actually any meaning to it. If it wasn't just the pleasure center of his brain firing off and was actually something meaningful he'd actually have thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Put it on my tab," Zith remarked to the barkeep, standing up from his stool and stumbling from his drink.

"You don't HAVE a tab. This is your first time here," the barkeep scowled, holding out his hand for payment.

"Even better," the githyanki noted, putting an empty shot glass into the barkeeps hand before stumbling to an area with a better view. It was a distraction, but a welcome one. Probably wasting his time hanging about, but what was the alternative?

Filtro
2014-10-25, 11:42 AM
The five of you go about the Great Bazaar, when suddenly a sensation rises in the back of each of your brain-boxes, like a cross between a tickle and an interrupted sneeze.
This feeling quickly grows in intensity, becoming a painful, relentless squeeze on your brain. Unconsciousness calls to you like a sweet song of a secret haven, but you resist.
You take an involuntary step forward and discover that the pain diminishes ever so slightly as you move in that direction.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-25, 12:46 PM
...eh, whatever. A part of him wanted to head in the opposite direction just to spite whatever psion or outsider was squeezing his brain shut, but it wasn't worth the effort. If someone wanted to see him he had no real reason to refuse. He had no real reason to accept either, but no real reason to refuse.

Rapidly sobering, Zith headed in the direction that didn't make his brain box explode.

Muenster Man
2014-10-25, 12:49 PM
"Aaaghargh! What the crap is that!?"

Theo holds his hand to his head and steps forward. Realizing that this stopped the pain, he stepped forward again. The pain subsided a little. Then, to test this, he took a step backwards.

"Gyaaerghhh!" He kneels in pain. Onlookers began pointing and pedestrians made sure to avoid the disturbed Prime in the streets. Standing again, he steps forward to relieve the pain. Then, to make sure, he steps to the side.

"Blast it, Asmodeus! Why?!" He takes several steps forward again to give himself a chance to think. Remote operant conditioning? Who, how, and why are all reeeaaallll great questions right now, but I don't aim to find out. I'll go wherever I want, pain be damned!

Theo Sethorn found himself most begrudgingly taking the path to what he assumed would be his doom. Cutting through an alleyway, he realized it led to a dead end. Taking a step back to go around, the pain began again. "What?! I'm getting to where you want me to go, puppet master! If your strings take me the wrong way, that's not my fault! Just tell me where you want me to go and I'll be done with it!" He pounds his chest with his fist defiantly.

Theo's screaming at no one in particular drew much attention and more than a little amusement from people looking out their windows and from the street. Waiting for the pain to stop so he can back out of the alley... he found himself still waiting, but now with a headache. "Are you kidding me?"

Looking at the wall, he found a couple of places where he could get a decent hand grip and support his weight. Grumbling, he approaches the wall and makes a slow but steady vertical ascent to the roof, and continues his journey to the unknown destination.

Surgate
2014-10-25, 01:21 PM
The performance was going splendidly, she could feel countless eyes upon her, when it seemed the dance conjured the attention of something far more uncommon than typical patronage. She reeled after a cartwheel, playing off the throbbing in her mind, trying to keep the performance going, the dance must continue! But the sensation was too much, and each labored step towards the door, towards whatever was pulling her made the pain lessen, and for that alone, Lady Desdemona, the Angel of Pleasure, abruptly bowed, pretending the true dance had concluded, and gracefully left to explore the Great Bazaar and whatever was summoning her, despite the protests of patrons and the grimy suited man.

kazooka
2014-10-25, 04:46 PM
He had tracked down the shift bariaur merchant at the Hobbled Beetle, a bar on edge of the Grand Bazaar that was one half tourist trap, one half shady off-the-path setting for local deals. Langley knew the place well. It was one of those places that was always a quarter full, whether in the middle of the day or during city wide celebrations. He spotted Zygyr, the bariaur merchant, immediately. He was standing at the bar along with a small cadre of his herdsmen. Langley took long strides as he stepped up to the bar next to the little bariaur, dropping a purse on the table with a loud thud.

"Zygyr, goat of my dreams, let me buy you a drink!"

Zygyr jumped as if Langley were an especially large spider, skittering a bit with his hooves on the hardwood.

"Zygyr, you helped me have the best night of my whole life," Langley said, grinning dumbly at the half-goat half-man.

"I, uh, did?" Zygyr said with a confused expression.

"Absolutely. Hey Sol, give me a glass of the hardest stuff you got; leave the bottle."

"Oh, yeah, well, I never turn down a drink," Zygry said a little suspiciously.

The bartender (whose name was Solitdundir, and who bore a particular dislike of nicknames) dropped two dirty glasses on the counter, and filled them with a clear fluid that made Langley's eyes burn even from where he was standing.

"Oh, one more thing," Langley said, "I got a special cocktail for you, it'll really light you up." He pulled the crumpled handkerchief from his pocket and dropped the green lock of hair into Zygyr's glass, where it bubbled and fizzed ominously.

"This is a lock of hair from a Dandalus."

He then pulled a small blue vial from his other pocket and poured it in on top. Zygyr groaned, and several of his herdsmen drew their weapons.

"And this is the alc you sold me yesterday." Langley paused, letting the blue fluid dissipate into the alcohol. "If you mixed it right, it'll be fine. Maybe even good, though I wouldn't bet on it. But if you scammed me..."

"What exactly do you think is going to happen here, berk?" asked Zygyr, as his herdsmen surrounded them, drawing knives and axes.

Langley drew his wand from its holster with one hand, while shattering the bottle of high octane alcohol with his other and spraying it across the bariaur, leaping up on the bar in the process. The herdsmen drew back a little bit, some of them rubbing their eyes to rub the alcohol out.

"I can get a flame bolt cantrip out faster than you can put an axe in me. This can go two ways. One of them involves giving money back that you never earned. The other's gonna leave all of you with some scars. What's it gonna be?"

Zygyr snorted and relaxed slightly.

"It obviously wasn't a total failure, or you'd be dead, berk. Tell you what, I'll give you half back, part because you can't negotiate for crap, and part because I don't want to piss off the bartender by chopping you into tiny pieces on his bar."

Langley grinned.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Ziggy."

He jumped down from the bar as Zygyr began to count out a small pile of gold pieces from his purse. The herdsmen stood around Langley and glowered at him even as they sheathed their weapons.

"Nothing personal, fellas," said Langley as Zygyr counted out the last pieces of currency and slid them across the bar. "Thanks for clearing that up, Z. I'll let everyone know what a fair berk you are."

"Yeah, sure," said Zygyr, shouldering past him on the way out of the bar. The herdsmen followed with angry expressions.

Langley waved at them as they left, then downed his unspilled glass.

"What do I owe you, Sol?"

Sol stared at Langley for a moment, then gave a pointed look at the coins on the table. Langley sputtered.

"All of it, Sol? Hells, that rotguy ain't worth all of it!"

"Twenty-five for the booze," Sol rasped. "Another twenty-five to clean it up. Twenty-five to get rid of your bartending efforts," he motioned at the remaining glass and its toxic contents, "Twenty five for driving away all my damn business. And another twenty-five for calling me, 'Sol' like I hadn't told you a hundred times before."

"Soltandir, come on, how long have I known you?"

"Too damn long. If you want consider that last part payment for me not breaking all your fingers before throwing you out on your butt."

Langley blinked as he stumbled out of the dark bar and into the somewhat brighter light of Sigil. It had been a decent day. He hadn't been killed, his rep was still intact, and he was going to be on time for work for once in his life. He'd even managed a decent drink out of it. Even if he was feeling a little funny. He took a few steps towards Indrico's junk shop and staggered a bit. Lady, Sol had apparently stopped watering down his booze. That or the hair in his pocket had seeped through somehow, and he was about to start convulsing. By the time he recognized the bizarre sensation as a compulsion, it was too late, and he couldn't even manage a decent protection ward to try and fight it.

"And things were going so well, too," he groaned.

He stumbled into the city, cursing as he was drawn forward like a fish on a line.

tomafox
2014-10-26, 05:19 PM
Vel-Kez quickly followed the grasp. He was sure this was his contractor's calling.

Filtro
2014-10-26, 05:55 PM
A few blocks off the Bazaar, the path leads to an old two-story building marked with a sign that simply reads Jysson. As you approach it, you notice four other shady characters making their way toward the same building.

The front (and only) door is unlocked.
Once you enter the building, the pain stops. Looking about, you can determine that the place is obviously some sort of long-abandoned clerk's office. Dust covers the desks and tables, which are strewn with papers, ledgers, and notebooks. All the documents are filled with incomprehensible columns of numbers.

Any examination of the room, its contents, or each other is cut short by the sudden sound of a meek voice.

"Oh dear," it states, "I had no idea that would be so...painful for you. Please accept my apology."

You can determine that the voice comes from the back of the room, near a book-covered table and a rickety wooden staircase that leads upstairs. No speaker is evident, but after a moment a small gray cat jumps onto the table from the shadows under the stair and looks at you.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-26, 06:21 PM
"No more than the hangover would have been," a depressingly sober Zith replied with a shrug of his shoulders. Looks like he wasn't the only one here... though everyone else looked a little too upbeat to be a fellow Bleaker. Or even one of the other more refreshingly depressing groups. He should be more worried by the cat in front of them than the people who'd been called with him though.

It could be any number of things. No use even guessing. "So what's a psion or outsider or wizard or whatever that's strong enough to give us all headaches want with us?" he had to ask. The githyanki suspected the answer was 'cannon fodder'. He couldn't think of another reason off the top of his head anyway.

Surgate
2014-10-26, 06:53 PM
Desdemona ignored the other strangers for now, simply glad her headache had ceased, and wondering who the hell was in her head when the cat made her squeal with joy. "Hello Kitty! Let me see you!"

By see of course, the feathered girl meant hold, caress, and pet profusely with reckless abandon. She moved to pet the kitty first, and then pick him up if the animal allowed.

Muenster Man
2014-10-26, 07:05 PM
Stepping through the doorway, the first thing Theo noticed was a familiar set of feathers.

"Hey-ay! Desdemona, right? Weird coincidence. You know, we could die any moment now, so let's jus- GAH!" Theo recoils at the sound of the voice, remembering that something very powerful brought him here.

"Everyone else "compelled" to be here as well? Might as well get this over with." Moving forward, Theo goes to meet the voice.

tomafox
2014-10-26, 07:07 PM
"What do you seek, cat?"

kazooka
2014-10-26, 08:06 PM
Langley staggered into the dusty old office, leaning against the table.

"Hells," he said, "You ever heard of a thing called a letter?"

Filtro
2014-10-27, 10:10 AM
The cat purrs as Desdemona pets him. When Vel-kez speaks, the cat talks in a surprisingly human voice, "I didn't say anything."

On the far table, one of the books - a particularly large, leather-and-metal-bound specimen - flips open, revealing a humanlike face in the gutter between the pages, which otherwise seem to be blank. "I really am sorry," it says in the meek voice you heard before.

It continues:
"I needed to call for help, so I reached out and tried to curb some 'pertish folks off the street. It's been so long since I've done that, I guess I grabbed too hard. Perhaps some sparkle would make it up to you? After you've heard me out, I'll see to that, I promise.

You see, we need a few kind pivers who will take myself and my associate here to the gate-town of Automata. Have you heard of Automata, gate-town to Mechanus? It's still there, ins't it?"

Canny bashers notice first off that the book speaks with very old mannerisms - it uses a long-outdated version of the cant. Second, since no one else appears in the room, you realize that the book's associate is the cat.

Chaotic planars have a saying: "Nobody with half a brain or a bit of free will goes to Automata on purpose." - While this is an opinionated exaggeration, there's some truth in that. Automata is the gate-town on the Outlands that leads to the plane of Mechanus, home of the modrons and the seat of ultimate Law. Consequently, Automata's an extraordinary orderly burg.
The local government, the Council of Order, rules over the town with a rather tight fist. A mire of bureaucracy wraps its tendrils around everything and everyone there, and that bureaucracy is mostly controlled by members of the Fraternity of Order. The town guard enforces the stringent laws that control not only commerce but movement, dress, and even personal interaction (that is, they tell a basher what he can and can't say, and who he can say it to).

Anubis Dread
2014-10-27, 12:11 PM
Mechanus? He HATED Mechanus. The whole multiverse was a meaningless pile of chance and coincidence, but they tried to enforce their own perverted sense of meaning onto it by making rules about what a berk can and can't do. It did his brain box in just thinking about wading through all their useless rules and laws. That said, he didn't have anything else to do today.

"Sure, whatever," Zith agreed with a shrug. "As long as I get some payment out of it." He had to wonder why the book didn't just strap itself to the cat and have it walk there, but the book might not have gotten that idea yet. If he said it he might not get a pay day.

Surgate
2014-10-27, 04:27 PM
Desdemona waved at Theo, holding the cat in her arms, and she offered a polite warm smile. "Yes you're the new sensate! Coincidence!" She giggled, rubbing her face against the cat's fur, relishing how it felt against her skin.

"I'll take this cat anywhere! And you too Mr. Book!"

Muenster Man
2014-10-27, 05:51 PM
Theo gives a slight grin with the side of his mouth, but his eyes look a little apprehensive. "Hey, yeah, sure, whatever man-book-thing. I'll take you where you need to go. Just, you know, as long as we're getting compensated somehow."

tomafox
2014-10-27, 06:01 PM
"You asked the right man, boss. I'm not sure why you dragged these people, though. Have you no fate in my guidance? Did you think I would need help?"

Muenster Man
2014-10-27, 06:28 PM
Finally taking his eyes of Desdemona, Theo looks to Vel-Kez. "Hey! You! From before! Wait a minute, what's that supposed to mean? Anyways, if you're going somewhere, I want to go with. Been trapped on Sigil for, like, a week. Time's-a-wasting and I haven't gone anywhere yet."

Filtro
2014-10-27, 07:25 PM
Canny bashers may notice first off that the book speaks with very old mannerisms - it uses a long-outdated version of the cant. Second, since no one else appears in the room, they might also realize that the book's associate is the cat.

The gray cat identifies itself as Ydemi Jysson and tells you that the book is, well, The Book.
Without answering any of your questions, Jysson begins telling you his tale.

For ages, it seemed, he was a petitioner on the Beastlands and quite happy to be there. One day, last month, the ruler of his kind (the Cat Lord) came to him and asked him to deliver a message to someone in Sigil. Loath though he was to leave the Beastlands, he obeyed his mistress. He completed his task and headed back to the Beastlands gate, but as he walked down this particular street, something seemed to beckon him inside this building.
Here, he encountered The Book, which explained to him that Jysson (in his mortal lifetime) had been a clerk who owned this tiny firm and lived in the apartment overhead.

In order to improve his business, the clerk had purchased a magical book to help him with his work. The terms of the purchase involved a series of payments over a number of years - terms that he defaulted upon when he died. Though not particularly lawful, the petitioner Jysson's benevolent demeanor compelled him to right this wrong - but there was no way a cat could carry a large tome like The Book all the way to Automata, where he'd bought it.
Jysson ordered the tome to help him find aid, and The Book did so by calling the four of you, plus Vel-Kez, who had already been contracted.

Jysson bought The Book from a wizard named Heiron, who specialized in creating sentient, powerful magical items. Unfortunately, Jysson doesn't remember where the wizard lives. In fact, he doesn't actually remember anything about his former life and only knows what The Book tells him, but such recollections always strike a certain chord within him.

The Book, of course, does remember. The Book also knows where Jysson kept his hidden jink, and promises it all to you if they take it back to Heiron.

If you want, you can also have this building.

Muenster Man
2014-10-27, 08:25 PM
"Jink and the building? Yeah, that's not bad" Theo says as he looks around.

"But one thing I don't get is" pointing at the cat "you seem like you died a long time ago. What are the odds this Heiron is still alive?" he asks the book.

Filtro
2014-10-27, 09:14 PM
The Books explains to you that, aside from being sentient, he also is a flawless mathematician and knows a great deal about business. Its main drawback is its utter lack of creativity, so it has a great deal of difficulty coming up with ideas on its own.
Physically, The Book is an impressive specimen, its leather cover embossed with Heiron Lifegiver's sigil (which appears as the letters "H" and "L" intertwined).

Is Heiron expecting The Book to be returned?Is the wizard even still alive? Neither knows the answers to these questions, but Jysson and The Book want to make the trip nonetheless.

kazooka
2014-10-27, 11:30 PM
"So, what's the catch, basher?" said Langley. "Mechanus ain't the greatest place in all the planes, but it ain't exactly dangerous, either. I gotta agree with tall, dark, and grumpy over there. Why do you need more than one blood for this business? Seeing as you just laid down a serious compulsion on us damn near by accident, I gotta wonder if what we're bringing to the table is being tasty with salt and butter."

Surgate
2014-10-28, 12:43 PM
Desdemona sighed. "Sometimes, and I know this is difficult to believe, there isn't a catch." The winged dancer kept petting the former clerk, and nodded at the book. "I don't see any of us declining the task outright, and I could use some prime real estate in Sigil. And this cat is so fluffy She nuzzled her chin against the cat and purred with him.

So soft.

Filtro
2014-10-28, 12:54 PM
"I do not know, actually. The power I used to summon you is not easy to control. I could've called any number of people here. Perhaps it was fate? Anyway. Here we are."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-28, 12:59 PM
"I'm guessing we were just close or something. No fate about it," Zith shrugged. Or maybe it was something to do with their brain boxes matching up, or something. Could be any number of things really, but fate sure as the hells wasn't one of them.

"If we're going to get going we might as well do it now. We're burning daylight. Is what I'd say if Mechanus wasn't a uniformly lit, dreary plane. But still, the sooner we get this over with the better."

kazooka
2014-10-28, 02:51 PM
"There's always a catch, sister. But this beats identifying pottery shards in Indrico's junk shop, so sure. What the hells. I'm in. "

Muenster Man
2014-10-28, 06:41 PM
"Count me in as well" Theo said as he flashed a smile, stood straight and fixed his collar to look more regal.

tomafox
2014-10-28, 08:57 PM
Tired of useless talk and eager to do his job, Vel-Kez takes on the conversation.

"Enough talk. Let's get going, already. The portal to Automata can be located in the Clerk's Ward, in the doorway of a small scribe's shop near the Hall of Records.", he then draws a piece of paper torn in two perfectly even halves, with the letter E printed on each half, "This here is the key."

The Seeker then left the building and started walking there and waits for the others to arrive before he opens up the portal.

Filtro
2014-10-28, 09:14 PM
After you take care of any business you might have, I assume you take the book and head for the portal. When you cross it, read this:

A slight chill runs down your spine as you pass through the portal into Automata. No longer within the dusty scribe's office, you now find yourselves out-of-doors, with clear daylight replacing the foggy dimness you're used to in the Cage.
The town around you is built entirely of uniform gray-red stone that rises in identically sized stories. The whole burg seems constructed out of right angles and straight lines. The people hustle about in neat little rows, most of them dressed in the same identical gray robes.

"Newcomers must register as the Office of Visiting Entities," a voice says. It belong to a stern, armor-clad soldier standing near you with nine of his fellows.

Muenster Man
2014-10-28, 09:16 PM
Ten, eh... damn

A broad grin appears on Theo's face. "Of course! We'd be more than happy to register!"

Anubis Dread
2014-10-28, 11:16 PM
"Hang on, hang on," Zith remarked, holding up a finger in protest. "'Must' register? Nobody 'must' do nothing. If people had to do something, the planes would be a lot less messed up and a lot more meaningful than they really are. Instead of being a huge clustef***, which is what they actually are. Nobody 'must' do anything, because nobody has any meaning. Let alone one they 'must' follow."

The githyanki paused before continuing. "Unless that was short for 'must or be killed and/or imprisoned'. Because if that's the cause, objection withdrawn."

Surgate
2014-10-29, 01:56 PM
Desdemona held the cat, and giggled at her companions interesting responses. "Register? No problem! I'll sign for the cat if that's okay" :smallsmile:

kazooka
2014-10-29, 05:06 PM
"So," says Langley, "Say someone were to accidentally put down the wrong name. Maybe they've got - I don't know- amnesia or something. What would happen then?"

Filtro
2014-10-29, 07:11 PM
The soldier seems confused with all of your questions. "If you don't register, you will have to pay the music every time a guard feels the need to stop you, as you wander around. I would suggest you make your way to the Office and avoid yourselves some trouble.", he says, before walking away from you.

The cat, Jysson recommends you to go about your business in town and to forget about the Office and registrations.

Vel-Kez knows that this registration would take some time and it would only matter if a guard was to stop you, for any reason. The consequence of not having the appropriate paperwork in that situation would be to pay the music (you're not sure how much it would cost you, either the registration or the ticket.)

Either way, as you move through Automata, you realize that everything's uniform and rectangular, so there isn't much distinction between locations. All the buildings on a particular block always serve the same purpose (offices, homes, shops, foundries, and so on), but the arrangement of blocks in relation to each other doesn't seem to be set up with convenience in mind.

The people of the town are either petitioners, who all dress and act alike, or planars and primes who aren't quite so structured. There's always a modron or two scuttling about as well, and the sight of a rilmani, an archon, or even a baatezu's not completely surprising.

The Book finally speaks, "I know where Heiron's case used to be. I can easily guide you there. This place is pretty easy to get around, since it's all set up as a perfect grid."

Surgate
2014-10-29, 07:42 PM
Desdemona seemed to be on the brink of squealing whenever the cat spoke, and nodded adamantly, agreeing to his suggestion as well as the book's offer.

"Whatever you say Mr. Book"

Muenster Man
2014-10-29, 09:36 PM
"You mean their demands are basically a paper tiger? Excellent! Most excellent! The quicker we get this done, the better."

Looking around at the drab buildings, Theo frowns a little.

"So, you said you know how to get there? Good, because every god-forsaken building here looks the same."

kazooka
2014-10-29, 11:17 PM
"Probably best to stay off the books around these parts," said Langley. He glanced at the magic tome. "No offense. Say, what do we call you, anyways? 'The Book' seems a little formal."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-30, 12:20 AM
"Ugh, going to Mechanus always makes me sick," Zith admits, holding his stomach as they walk. "Strongly aligned planes are not kind on the stomachs of those that are their polar opposite... I'm lucky we githyanki only count as humanoids rather than proper outsiders, or I'd be in real trouble. Though I'd also be stuck as being Lawfully Evil for all of eternity..." he realized with a frown. "Archfiends damn it I hate the multiverse."

Oh right, the actual mission... well whatever. If the others worked it all out and all he did was tag along and get paid it would be fine by him. Odds were alcohol was either illegal on Mechanus or otherwise heavily regulated, otherwise he'd be tempted to just slip off to the bar and hope no-one noticed for a while.

tomafox
2014-10-30, 09:30 AM
Vel-Kez had never been to Automata before, so for once, he just followed the group of people that he seemed to be working with, without speaking a word.

Filtro
2014-10-30, 09:56 AM
"I do not have a name, friend."
Unregistered and following the Book's directions brings you to a block dedicated to various shops - candle-makers, leather-workers, bakers, and other craftsmen. The exact building that used to be Heiron's now has a new-looking sign on it, declaring the place as Thandol's Smoked Meats (and judging from the spicy, smoky smell coming from within, it's probably correct.)

Inside, you discover a shop that peddles various meats. The proprietor, an elderly man named Thandol, seems to have a good deal more liveliness about him than most folks on the street.

"No. Old Heiron doesn't work here any longer. He packed up his things and left a few months ago...He used to hang out at The Divine Machine, a tavern, not far from here."

Surgate
2014-10-30, 11:49 AM
Desdemona oooed and awed at the tavern name. How cool! She thumbed her chin, chewing her lower lip."I wonder what kind of drinks they serve in such a place. I'm getting the feeling we're going to be on a wild goose chase after this Heiron of yours Mr. Book"

kazooka
2014-10-30, 01:25 PM
"Pub in a Mechanus town, huh? Sounds like a barrel of laughs. Think I'd rather hang out in a Mechanus prison. Probably more interesting people there."

Muenster Man
2014-10-30, 08:14 PM
"Okaythanksbye!" Theo is halfway back out the door when he realizes he has no idea where that is. Walking back, he asks "Soooo, this pub... where is it? Kind of new around town, and I'd like to find him as quickly as possible."

Filtro
2014-10-31, 10:28 AM
The Divine Machine is a busy tavern that appears to have been designed for halfling or gnomes, though it's full of members of all races. Ironically, very few halflings and gnomes can be found here.
One halfling, though, who seems to be the proprietor, constantly apologizes for the small size of the chairs and other furnishings, especially to really tall or large bashers. This man introduces himself as Tourlac.

As you ask around about Heiron, you get the chant - Heiron seems to be in hiding. He packed up his things and sold his shop a while back, and hasn't been seen since. A few bubbers suggest that he's left town, but those who know him well remember that he's occasionally had to hide out for a time while some trouble or other blows over. He's not a real criminal, but it's hard to get by in Automata without breaking a law now and again - and sometimes a body's just got to pay the music for it. But Heiron never leaves town. He's around somewhere, you are assured, but finding a top-shelf wizard who doesn't want to be found can be quite a challenge...

tomafox
2014-10-31, 11:34 AM
Vel-Kez knew nothing of this place or the wizard, so he followed along, quietly, seeking an opportunity to help get this job done.

Muenster Man
2014-10-31, 11:43 AM
Theo asks Tourlac "Might you know any of his close friends? It may be the most obvious place to look, and thus he wouldn't be there, but it could be the best lead we have on him."

Filtro
2014-10-31, 11:46 AM
"Sorry, sir. I can't help you with that."

Anubis Dread
2014-10-31, 12:15 PM
Alright, this was his element. If they needed information, he could find it here. And he'd start by casting his favourite spell - Spirit Possession. As in he would be possessing some spirits. In his stomach. And liver.

Sitting down at a small chair, Zith grabbed a cheap glass of bub before downing it and two others, before standing up now drunk enough not to be completely crippled by the weight of a worthless multi-verse on his shoulders. When he was drunk enough to be pleasant but not enough to be completely off his brain box he could be quite persuasive.

Gather Information, which would be a function of Persuasion now I believe.

[roll0]

Filtro
2014-10-31, 12:20 PM
After hearing you out and making sure you don't work for the Council of Anarchy, a tiefling identifies herself as Muenscaal, from the Free League.
"What are you going to do with the Book?"

Anubis Dread
2014-10-31, 12:27 PM
"I don't know. Give it to the wizard so it can retire to a farm somewhere? Or start a business. I wasn't really paying attention," Zith admitted with a shrug as he plucked another shot glass of bub to keep his hand occupied. "Whatever the case it's not the Book of Vile Darkness or anything like that if that's what you mean. I don't think it even has anything magical about it other than the ability to speak and cast some spells."

Filtro
2014-10-31, 12:54 PM
Confused for a second, the tiefling finally speaks: "Ok, I believe you. I recognize that book. Heiron hides in a safe place from the Council of Anarchy's thugs: a closet within the Council of Order building. Only his friends know of this, so once you get there, knock on the wall five times and whistle. He should open the door. Make haste, getting in that building is much harder at night."

She then suddenly vanishes as she casts a spell.

Anubis Dread
2014-10-31, 01:02 PM
"...rude," Zith remarks, downing his shot glass before casually tossing it over his shoulder to shatter and rejoining his band of fellow mercenaries.

"Alright, we have to... go to the Council of Closets, and find the Order," Zith relayed to them, slurring his words. "When we get there there's a code that... I think it was knock and then whistle the tune to Fife Times? ...eh we'll figure it out."

Surgate
2014-10-31, 02:19 PM
Desdemona raised a hand to high five Zith. "Excellent work! I'm ordering a small drink and then I'm ready." She balanced the cat on her shoulders, and stooped low to order a quick drink, gulping it down before returning to her companions, smiling with barely flushed cheeks.

"Alright Mr.Book, let's get you home!"

tomafox
2014-10-31, 02:52 PM
Vel-Kez tagged along, carefully examining his surrounding and trying to walk by undetected. They were still illegal and a night spent in jail was a night behind on his work.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Muenster Man
2014-10-31, 08:04 PM
"Hey, hey, now, you've got the right idea." Theo orders a shot (1 silver) and downs it. "Gotta take the edge of before we go. So what was that she said to you? Knock on a whistle and do something with fine thyme?"

You're unsure if he's joking or not, he's always smiling, even when he's serious.

"Alright, let's do this!"

Following Vel-Kez's lead, Theo attempts to sneak around town and get to the building quickly.
Stealth [roll0]

Filtro
2014-10-31, 11:32 PM
Vel-Kez seems to recognize the same faces he has been seeing for some time. Looks like someone's been following you. You are not sure who or why.

If you want to try and lose them, you will have to make a Stealth Group check - that means most of you must succeed in a Stealth check to move through town undetected... You are free to think of creative ways to help each other or accomplish this...or you can just ignore these people and just move along naturally...

Since TomaFox and Muenster Man already did it, both of you get to make another Stealth/Any check with advantage if you try to lose them.

tomafox
2014-11-01, 01:35 AM
"Act as if I am not talking. Do not look at me or stop. We are being followed. Follow my lead and let's try and lose them, whoever they are. Any trouble would only keep us from getting this job over with."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Taking the lead, Vel-Kez will try to slowly and furtively walk between buildings, taking small and dark pathways, maybe sometimes going around and back, to confuse his chasers. We might also have to slow our march and take our time to get there safely and with no one chasing us.
Vel-Kez is also helping others to move undetected towards the Council of Order, as long as they want. You never know. They might want to just yell out and get into a fight.

kazooka
2014-11-01, 03:36 AM
Langley melts into a thick crowd of people outside of a vegetable booth. Using Minor Illusion, he sends quick flashes of his own head and parts of his clothing fleeting through the press of bodies far ahead. Meanwhile, he leans against a wall in a casual half crouch, shielded from view by the crush of people around him.

Stealth
Minor Illusion DC 13 as described above

Muenster Man
2014-11-01, 04:48 AM
"Good catch" Theo mutters.
Council of Anarchy, probably. That... or the Free League is trying to play us. We've barely left the tavern and they're already on our tail.

Stealth [roll0]
Advantage [roll1]

Surgate
2014-11-01, 10:24 AM
Desdemona followed her friends close, letting her graceful movements lend themselves to her ability to slip by unnoticed, and to lose those strangers.

[roll0]

Anubis Dread
2014-11-01, 01:03 PM
...What was everyone on about? It was Mechanus, of course they were being watched. Someone was always watching in Mechanus. It was the only way they could get their stupid little laws to stick.

Deciding to just roll with it, Zith followed the others lead.

[roll0]

Filtro
2014-11-01, 10:53 PM
All of you seem to move through town undetected, even though Zith was kinda drunk and careless and even stopped to take a piss or something.

Arriving at the Council of Order, you manage to get past a few clerks and officials, until you find Heiron's closet.

You step inside the large storage closet, which is filled with reams of unused paper, stacks of fresh ledgers,and crates of inkwells and pens.
You give the knock-and-whistle "signal" Heiron's friend gave you and wait a moment, and a previously invisible doorway appears.
The simple wooden door opens, revealing a cautious, uncomely face that peers at you.

"Yes, who is - (gasp!) By the Spire! Who're you?"

Before you can answer, the man begins to pull back into the doorway, closing the door as he does so...

http://i.imgur.com/gcFUyct.png

Muenster Man
2014-11-01, 11:13 PM
"Friends! We promise! We even brought your book!" Theo says as he launches himself into the door, attempting to use himself as a wedge.

Acrobatics [roll0]

Filtro
2014-11-01, 11:45 PM
Theo quickly stops the door before it closes and gets Heiron's full attention mentioning the book.

"The Book...one of my favorite creations...I had long since given up on seeing it again... I assumed Jysson had turned stag, robbing me of it and giving me the laugh."

For Heiron's surprise, the cat speaks.
"I apologize, wizard. But you have to admit that death is a pretty good excuse for reneging on an agreement."

"Yes... Well, then, friends. I thank you. Please, join me in my mansion."

You notice that behind him there's a magnificent mansion magically inserted inside of this closet.

As the first of starts tries to climb up into Heiron's mansion, the storage room's door flings open.

A woman and a group of thugs suddenly enter. They have followed you here.
"Capture the old man! Kill the rest of these sods."

Some of you canny bashers should've known that things were going too well.

You are truly outnumbered. You can count at least 10 men.

Roll initiative.

Surgate
2014-11-01, 11:47 PM
Desdemona held the cat close and shrieked, "Get inside and close the door as quickly as possible. We'll leave these canny bashers to diddle their fiddles!"

The feathered woman went forward, trying to pass the door and ready to close it as soon as everyone else entered.

[roll0]

kazooka
2014-11-01, 11:57 PM
"Time to give 'em the slip," says Langley. He points his wand down the hall, and it is immediately covered in a strange sheen.

[roll0]

Langley casts Grease on the hallway. Everyone who enters the area of the spell must make a DC 13 Dexterity check or fall prone.

Anubis Dread
2014-11-02, 12:03 AM
Zith yawned as he began to force himself into the extra dimensional space. "I am really not in the mood for fighting right now... another day, maybe," he apologized to the thugs.

He's just entering the door, so likely just a Dash action and movement.

Muenster Man
2014-11-02, 12:05 AM
From the doorway elevated just above the room, Theo pulls out his shortbow and quickly fires an arrow at the closest one visible. If a target is prone by the time his initiative comes up, he'll target that one for advantage and sneak attack.

Initiative [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
On crit: [roll3]

If advantage:
Advantage: [roll4]
Sneak Attack: [roll5]

Afterwards, Theo will run back through the door and close it shut if he's the last one.

tomafox
2014-11-02, 08:08 AM
How the hell did they follow us? We were extra careful...

[roll0]

Filtro
2014-11-02, 02:22 PM
Heiron tries to hide inside of his magical closet mansion.

The woman laughes, as she dispels the magic on the closet, making the wizard and all of his belongings to come tumbling out of the closet.
Everyone make a DEX/Acrobatics check.
The room is now filled with stuff all over the floor and the thugs move in to attack you with their spears.

Thug 1 tries to stab Desdemona
[roll0]
[roll1]

Thugs 3 and 4 gank up on Langley
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Thug 5 attacks Zith
[roll6]
[roll7]

Thugs 9 and 10 try to stab Vel-Kez
[roll8]
[roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11]

Initiative

1 - Thugs 1, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10
2 - Langley and Theo
3 - Thug 7
4 - Zith
5 - Thug 2
6 - Vel-Kez and Dsedemona
7 - Thugs 6 and 8

kazooka
2014-11-02, 02:41 PM
Langley's still going to cast grease, trying to put in an area that comes right up to where the thugs are standing. I think this is a hallway, right?

Muenster Man
2014-11-02, 07:05 PM
Acrobatics [roll0]

Theo makes an attempt to land flat on his feet, draw his rapier, and run his sword through thug 1 who just attacked Desdemona.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: (with sneak attack) [roll2]
On Crit: [roll3]

Filtro
2014-11-02, 07:31 PM
(Rolling Langley's DEX check against the objects falling from the dispelled closet
[roll0] - DC 10 or take 1 damage.

Langley covers the ground near the entrance of the storage room in grease. The thugs seem to be having a hard time running in to attack you guys, now.

Theo gets hit by a falling pot in the head and takes 1 damage.
Theo slashes Thug 1 across his chest. Even though he's not dead, he falls, screams and bleeds. He's out of the fight.

Thug 7 tries struggles not to fall with all the grease, while he moves towards Theo to avenge his partner.
[roll1] or [roll2] for [roll3]

Initiative

1 - Thugs 1, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 10
2 - Langley and Theo
3 - Thug 7
4 - Zith
5 - Thug 2
6 - Vel-Kez and Desdemona
7 - Thugs 6 and 8

Anubis Dread
2014-11-02, 07:37 PM
So... bunch of enemies he couldn't fight without dieing. No way to retreat. Things sure were looking... well typical actually. Ah well, not much you could do about it.

Wading into melee but careful not to step into the grease, Zith slashes at a nearby thug. "Hey Zel-hev, can you do something?" Zith asked as he attacked.

Save: [roll0]

Long Sword: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
On Crit Add: [roll3]

Bardic Inspiration: 1d6 to Vel-Kez

Filtro
2014-11-02, 07:49 PM
Zith retaliates and cuts Thug 5's arm, disarming it and forcing him to retreat, while he guides Vel-Kez to guide him (? - or whatever)

Thug 2 tries to get to Desdemona
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Initiative

1 - Thugs 3, 4, 9 and 10
2 - Langley and Theo
3 - Thug 7
4 - Zith
5 - Thug 2
6 - Vel-Kez and Desdemona
7 - Thugs 6 and 8

Surgate
2014-11-02, 08:11 PM
Desdemona dodges Thug 2, and a different side to her surfaced. A celestial fury burned in her beautiful femme fatale eyes, and she twirled a quarterstaff around her body with graceful effort, swinging down on the basher's head, and then contorting her body to strike with her left foot, aiming for his temples.

Her face scrunched and she gave a great yell, emphasizing her force.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

tomafox
2014-11-03, 08:07 AM
Vel-Kez dodges the first attack, but the second thug stabs him in his shoulder. "Perhaps I can." Years of exploring and escorting peeps had made an excellent combatant out of the Seeker. No time to draw both his swords, so he opted to take out his staff to retaliate.

Attacking Thug 10.
[roll0]
[roll1]

saving bardic inspiration for later.

Filtro
2014-11-03, 12:02 PM
Desdemona and Vel-Kez each take down one thug. As the last two thugs begin to move, they stop as a voice comes from outside of the storeroom, "Hold it right there! The Council of Anarchy?! I should've known. Men, seize them!" - the guards of the Council of Order have heard all the objects in Heiron's mansion falling all over the place and came to investigate.

The thugs that were attacking you turn around to face their rivals. Both sides start to fight and slide all over the greasy floor, while the woman engages Heiron who dodges and deflects her attacks with spells.

This is your chance to get out of here. The entrance is blocked by all the fighters, but there's a huge window on the back of the room. Just be reminded that you are on the upper floor.

kazooka
2014-11-03, 12:19 PM
"Come have a drink with me after this is over, " Langley yells to the wizard (and his book). He then utters a few arcane words then leaps out the window, floating gently down to the ground.

feather fall

Anubis Dread
2014-11-03, 01:14 PM
They were ditching the wizard? Eh, fair enough.

"Thanks for the assist," Zith noted before jumping out the window after his fellow mercenary.

Feather Fall effects up to five people this edition, so I assume I'm one of the five?

Surgate
2014-11-03, 02:35 PM
Desdemona thanked her lucky stars and vaulted out the window, hoping the feather fall effect (irony) would assist her own feathers in helping her down safely.

tomafox
2014-11-03, 03:07 PM
Feeling the effect of Feather Fall, Vel-Kez grabbed the cat and The Book, "Let us be off, wizard! Quickly!" and jumped out of the window after his co-workers.

Muenster Man
2014-11-03, 06:09 PM
But, if Heiron dies, does that mean we don't get a reward? I gotta do something to help him before flying out the window!

As Theo runs to the window, he pulls out his shortbow and fires off a shot at the woman who's fighting with Heiron.
"Take that!" He said, hoping it hit its mark.
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]
On Crit [roll2]

If it qualifies for sneak attack
Damage [roll3]
On crit [roll4]

Afterwards, he realizes that he may have jumped too late to benefit from feather fall! Theo tries to orient himself to take as little damage as possible in case he did.
Acrobatics [roll5]

Filtro
2014-11-03, 07:08 PM
Theo distracts the woman enough for Heiron to jump after him, casting Feather Fall on both of them...

As the five of you, Heiron, the Cat and The Book slowly fall, you realize fate dictated each of you to witness the strangest and greatest thing first-hand, in a fashionably manner, falling in slow motion: Modrons have begun pouring out of the gate from Mechanus.

The Great Modron March has begun.
And it's over 150 years early.

You see the town erupt into a complete uproar over the sudden appearance of hundreds upon thousands of modrons pouring from the gearlike gate in seemingly endless waves.

You can hear Heiron saying "No...It can't be..." just before Vel-Kez shatters a small orb and releases it in mid-air, spawning a portal just below you, into which all of you fall...

A moment passes, and suddenly you slowly land. You're back in Sigil.

Heiron's grateful for the return of The Book. He thanks Jysson for returning it and pats Theo and invites him for a drink someday, for allowing him to escape, but now he really has to go, and takes the book with him.

The Book tells you where Jysson's hidden jink is hidden - a secret cache under the bed upstairs in Jysson's old building. The building is also yours, if you want it - you should, since real estate in Sigil is really valuable.

The cat Jysson vanishes from Vel-Kez's hands.

Each of you gains 300xp and you level up!

The Modron March

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091108162705/rpg/ru/images/c/ca/ModronMarch.jpg

Once every Grand Cycle (that's 17 cycles, each of which is about 17 years - the time it takes for the largest gear on Mechanus to turn once), a horde of modrons spills out of Mechanus through the gate-town of Automata and parades around the Great Ring.

Why? Nobody knows for sure, although it seems like they're gathering information as they march. It's a long way to go just to pick up the chant, but who can figure the modron mind?

Anyway, when the modrons march through a plane, they cause all kinds of havoc. They don't stop for anyone or anything; they'll just trample right through a town and over the inhabitants if the berks are too slow to get out of their way.
It's pretty ironic that the lawful automatons are the cause of this much conflict. 'Course when the modrons reach the Lower Planes, the conflict really begins, as the fiends attack the clockwork marchers every step of the way.

Despite all this, folks around the planes are used to the idea of the March (Planars can get used to anything).
Previous Marches are fairly well documented, and bloods have roughed out a few probable modron routes. Besides, since the March occurs only about every 300 years and the last one was just over 100 years ago, most bashers figure that they probably won't be alive to see the next one. And if they are, they'll still have plenty of time to prepare. They're wrong.

Without warning, reason, or order, the modrons began pouring out of the gate in Automata and commenced their march through the planes. It's years early.
The modrons are not following the usual paths.
Some folks say that the modrons just out of Automata have a crazed look in their eyes.

No one knows what's going on, but plenty of bloods want to learn.

The planes just got a little wilder...

Obviously, something as momentous as the Modron March - especially an unexpected one such as this - draws a lot of attention. As the March travels the Great Ring, folks begin to follow it. Some see it as a pilgrimage to learn a great truth, and some see it as a big moving party. Others trail the March attempting to make a name for themselves by mere association.

Plenty of berks, particularly Xaositecs, accompany the March and try to make the modrons turn rogue. They assault the modrons with diatribes on individuality, they attempt to overload their senses (they call it "showing them the beauty of chaos") and they reason with the automatons and try to trip them with logic.
None of these efforts ever work.

Whatever the true dark regarding rogue modrons, one thing definitely seems to be true: No one can make a modron go rogue.

'Course, as the March continues, even more folks follow along - making a little jink by providing the original followers with food and supplies, joining in the "party", or just coming along because they have nothing better to do.

http://i.imgur.com/zkTnMXd.jpg

Muenster Man
2014-11-03, 08:19 PM
"A drink sounds lovely, thank you!" Theo says as he waves goodbye to Heiron.

"Now, about that jink..." he makes a beeline for Jysson's old building and goes upstairs to find the jink.

etter not have been lying to me. If that book did, it's a tinderbox waiting to burn.

Surgate
2014-11-04, 07:44 PM
Desdemona was still trembling over the awe of the spectacle they'd witnessed. What a rare sensation! She considered immortalizing it in one of the Sensate's recording devices, to be shared with all who found the march fascinating and decided on her next visit to HQ she might as well, in exchange for a particularly expensive series of sensations.

She was sad the cat Jysson was gone, and waved goodbye to Heiron, turning to her new associates with a playful grin. "Looks like we're all co-owners! I'll keep the place lively, and I'm certain Vel-Kez could use an easy location for customers to find him. We might even consider running a business. If its a bar, Zith would make a great bartender if he doesn't drink all the product."

The feathered girl giggled.

Muenster Man
2014-11-04, 10:07 PM
Overhearing this while rummaging through junk upstairs, Theo yells down "That's a BIIIIIG 'if.' In fact, maybe it'd be best if we didn't bother selling any and just had the world's best collection on hand!"

Anubis Dread
2014-11-04, 11:17 PM
"Hey, I resemble that remark," Zith protested, sitting down on an available chair and slouching down into it. He was still a bit buzzed from earlier, but it was fast being washed away in a wave of nostalgia.

"Been a hundred years since I saw my last march," he admitted, putting his head to the table and idly carving into it with a knife. It said something about him that his first action upon owning a table was to carve a penis into it, but he wasn't sure what. "Grew up in the Abyss about when the modrons were marching on by. We were all in training back then, so they gave us a job from a demonic patron or two to hunt down some of them as they passed by. Weird little things - hillarious if you flip them onto their back though. Especially the square ones, they end up just flailing about until you could stick a blade in them."

Zith sighed regretfully. "Those of us in that brood liked to take similar jobs every three hundred years or so in one of the more temporally slow abyssal layers when the modrons marched again. It was always good fun just to kill a bunch of them as they went by. The main herd don't even notice, and it was always a healthy dose of fun and nostalgia to slaughter a bunch of the lower ranking ones. Simpler times, those."

kazooka
2014-11-05, 01:37 AM
Langley sprawled out on what appeared to be a loveseat, but could also have been a stuffed hyena.

"I like bars. I like bars a lot. Still, gotta wonder if this place was ever used as anything other than a catbox and a one-book library."

[roll0] Perception. What's the deal with this place, anyways?

tomafox
2014-11-06, 05:40 PM
These poor clueless bastards...
Valken examined the place with eyes that could really see.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Filtro
2014-11-09, 01:59 PM
Langley has no idea where he is.

Vel-Kez explores the building, realizing it used to be a clerk's office. Dust covers the desks and tables, which are strewn with papers, ledgers, and notebooks. All the documents are filled with incomprehensible columns of numbers. Nothing else worth noting.

kazooka
2014-11-09, 04:11 PM
"Hey guys, I think I've found the bathroom. Or the kitchen. Either way, I gotta take a leak, so I'm gonna pee in this trough."

Muenster Man
2014-11-09, 07:33 PM
Downstairs you can hear a crash from the floor above. A loud, earsplitting scream emanates from the stairwell. "YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH AHA! FINALLY! THE BIG PAYOFF!"
Ebba-Cyrus sits in a pile of gold, laughing like a maniac. He grabs a fistful and lets it rain over his head. Wait, wait, wait. Keep it together. You need to act like you've actually seen this kind of money before, or, as they say here: 'jink.'

Theo calmly stands up, straightens his clothes, and begins counting the coin. Five minutes later, Theo walks down with 5 bags, each of seeming similar weight, and each jingling with a sound that brought joy to his heart.

"Ladies! And Gentlemen! Here, in my hands, are our just rewards. Bags of gold (and a little silver to boot) totaling one-hundred and forty-six gold and eight silver. Each. It's... been some time since I've had this much on hand, not since I left the ole' Sethorn manor. Just think of what we can do with this! Enjoy!"

tomafox
2014-11-10, 12:07 PM
Vel-Kez accepts his share. "Thank you. Now...This load of jink would sound really good, if we weren't on the verge to be exterminated by an alien robot invasion. What are we doing about the modrons? We need to warn someone who can stop it...
You all give it some thinking. I'll be off to find someone who'd share some insight on this. I'll be back."

Anubis Dread
2014-11-10, 02:13 PM
"Do we need to do something about it?" Zith shrugged as he took the bag. He'd count how many drinks it would buy him, but he couldn't remember the last time he'd actually paid for one. He supposed it he saved up he could get a nice suit of armor. He missed having something to protect him other than a thin film of leather that couldn't stop an ants piss from hitting him.

"Modrons march all the time. Sure it's early, but who the hell tried to set the clock to something so nonsensical to begin with? They'll march, people will die, villages will get crushed, lower plane denizens will have a feast of modron meat... it's happened hundreds of times before, it will happen hundreds of times again," he went on.

Muenster Man
2014-11-10, 07:58 PM
"Well, let's talk about them at least." Theo wanders the house, looking for cups. Finding glassware, he blows into them and receives a face full of dust as thanks. Coughing, he grabs a slightly less dusty cloth and wipes the glasses mostly clean. Rummaging through his pack, he pulls out a bottle of wine labeled Caromin's Sin Zin and just below that, in small font is written It'll get ya drunk!.
"Classy" Theo says to himself. He places a glass in front of Zith and begins to pour. He then repeats this for the rest of the party, and then finally for himself.

"So, no one really knows what they want? They just march and crush? Talk about boring. Where do they go when they're done? Or does someone or something always end up crushing them? On a long enough timeline, eventually attrition will take them down." He says while taking a drink from his glass.

Pausing for a moment after he drank "Does anyone else get a sense of cherry and oak? You know, beyond the taste of sulfur?" Chuckling to himself, he drinks some more.

Filtro
2014-11-10, 08:05 PM
As Vel-Kez opens the door leading to the outside, he notices a glowing sphere of light at his feet. It bobs and weaves in an effort to gain your attention.

Some of you may recognize it as a Lantern Archon. Its bell-like voice comes into the minds of each of you.

"Excuse my interruption, noble adventurers. I have been sent to find someone who can aid us.
I am the First Mount. My superiors - may they prosper and find ever more virtue in their spirits - wish to speak with you, in Mount Celestia.
Please, if you will follow me."

Muenster Man
2014-11-10, 08:36 PM
"Good, god, work really jumps in your lap on Sigil, doesn't it?" Theo downs the glass of wine and looks at the mostly empty bottle of wine he just opened. He places it in front of Zith's morose face and it makes a satisfying Clunk! sound as it hits the table. "Happy Birthday, Zith! You're older than you've ever been. And now you're even older!"

Approaching the archon, Theo ***** his head sideways. "This sounds like the kind of aid that could take awhile. Okay ye... wait, I left a lot of useful stuff in the inn I was staying at. I'll be back in like, 20, no 30 minutes tops!" Theo jogs off to get his remaining gear he's found useful over the last few months. Some extra lockpicks, ball bearings, pitons, torches, and the like. Just after turning the corner, he jogs back. "There's a reward for this, right?"

Anubis Dread
2014-11-10, 08:53 PM
Oh great, remind him of his mortality would you. Zith glowered at Theo as he left, downing his drink in one go before slamming it back on the table. Bloody brain box addled...

"Work is work, though I'm not too keen to go into another opposition plane right after the last one. My stomach still hasn't settled," Zith complained. "But so long as we're on a roll might as well. The more money stocked up the more time we can laze about later."

Barely even glancing as Theo returned, Zith threw the glass directly at his head. Older than he'd ever been, cheeky little b******.

Attack Roll: [roll0]

It'd probably only deal 1 damage, but still, Theo needs to be sent to sensitivity training :smalltongue:

Muenster Man
2014-11-10, 08:57 PM
AC: 14

Theo ducked as the glass soared past his head and broke on the wall just behind him. Standing up and grinning like an idiot "Woah! Easy now... you're paying for that glass, you know. But seriously, let's get moving or get dead. Of course, on the condition there is a reward, right?"

Anubis Dread
2014-11-10, 09:06 PM
"We're heading to an Outer Plane, Celestia even. One doesn't necessarily rule out the other," Zith noted, sagging down on the table. F*** it he just wanted to curl up in a corner and bemoan his lot in life for a bit. Especially since his was actually advancing. But if he did that he'd miss out on a pay day, and seeing as the last pay they got was the only thing between him and abject poverty...

"Either way if we're going let's go," Zith forced himself to stand up. "I know how Outsiders work. They sent peons like imps, quasits or Mr Blinky here to pick up pawns to speak to them, but won't let the peons spoil anything. They like being all mysterious and powerful and all that sh**. We won't know the contract until we speak to the Planetar or whatever."

kazooka
2014-11-10, 09:19 PM
"Usually work doesn't drop into your lap in Sigil. More often it's the contents of someone's chamber pot. Or occasionally a a vicious swarm of blood mites."

Langley lowers his voice, though probably not to the point that the Archon can't hear him.

"Likely they've mistaken us for whoever used to own this place."

Surgate
2014-11-10, 09:43 PM
Desdemona accepted her jink, shrugged her shoulders and giggled to herself. Of course she wasn't turning this down.

tomafox
2014-11-10, 11:02 PM
"Let me guess...the modrons are headed for Celestia and you somehow think we know why it began and how to stop it...Either way, if it means we're getting paid to pitch in this whole apocalyptic march thing, I believe we should work together and make a name for ourselves across the Outlands. We have the means, and now we have a home-base. I say we go for it - fame and fortune!"

Filtro
2014-11-11, 08:59 AM
Taking your answer as a yes, the First Mount glows progressively more brightly until it explodes...

You suddenly find yourselves in the midst of the verdant splendor of another perfect day on Lunia. A warm breeze carries the scent of elusive flowers and caresses the faces of each of you as you look to what's before you.

"Welcome to the Arch of Triumph, home to the Sword Archon, Alziel!"

The Lantern Archon motions you to follow it, as he leads you to a shining terrace of silver that overlooks the Silver Sea.
You're standing in the middle of a balcony that juts from an arch rising from the hills. The arch is made of white marble and silver.

The trail has vanished as if it never was -though perhaps, far below, you can see the faintest outline of a pathway through the hills.

The most immediate feature of the balcony, however, is the Sword Archon, who turns and greets you. Her silvery hair gleams in the soft light, and the white robe she wears accentuates her winged arms. Her face seems to shine with inner serenity, yet that serenity is marred by a tiny wrinkle between her perfectly beautiful eyes - a sure sign that there's something amiss on the Mount, something brewing that spells no good.

http://media.tumblr.com/878f0995bc7005b5a35e7c521f46f905/tumblr_inline_mpff82xWxY1qz4rgp.jpg

She bows low to you, and in a voice like trickling chimes of a brook, speaks:
"I am Alziel, Sword Archon of the silver rank. In the name of all my brethren, I welcome you, adventurers.
I beseech you to hear my request. If you are honorable creatures, you will listen. And if you are not, I can promise payment. Will you listen?"

(Assuming you do, I'll just move this along)

"As you know, the modrons have left Mechanus early on their grand March. This can only be due to some spark of chaos that has infused them.
As such, orders have come from above that we are not to interact with them, for fear that their chaos will infect us also. After all, if chaos can come even to the supremely lawful and meticulous modrons, how could we resist it?

And yet, we see that the Modron March is headed for the town of Heart's Faith, right here in Mount Celestia.
We know from past experience that the devastation they wreak is horrifying, unless they can be persuaded to either circumnavigate the town or march through the winding streets instead of following their usual unyielding straight lines.
They march through buildings, disregarding life and property both. They bring structure to a chaotic end - and they do not swerve aside as they tunnel through the town.

We are caught in a dilemma, you see... We cannot contact the modrons, for fear that their chaos would bring the Mount tumbling around our ears, but neither can we allow them to bring chaos to Heart's Faith.

Thus it was that our superiors instructed us to find agents who could come into contact with these modrons, and to see if these folk would be kind enough to attempt to prevent the modrons from entering our beloved town of Heart's Faith.

Will you?"

Anubis Dread
2014-11-11, 01:42 PM
They wanted them to... Zith couldn't help but laugh, a long, sardonic laugh that was cut short as he keeled over and threw up a bit on the floor. "Abyss damned Lawful Good aligned plane..." he muttered to himself as he wiped his mouth clean, before looking up and looking at their host.

"Listen, I like a pay day as much as the next guy. Probably more in fact. But you're asking us to talk modrons out of marching in a straight line. The most unyielding, stubborn creatures in the multiverse. Present company excluded," he ammended. "Point is, why do you think they'd even talk to us? You're wasting time trying diplomacy when you should be evacuating that town of yours so nobody gets trampled. You want us to help with that, fine, but trying diplomacy on a modron march is suicide talk. Which granted I'm more fine with than most, but it's still a waste of time and money on your part."

He had some experience with modrons. Hunting them in the Abyss mostly true, but experience. And one thing he knew was that a modron wouldn't stop marching even if it meant trampling over their still living companions. Changing their route for a village of strangers was impossible.

Surgate
2014-11-11, 05:07 PM
Desdemona was entranced with Celestia's beauty, and the Sword Archon, both teasing her senses to new domains. She felt at home in such a place as this, for her celestial blood resonated with the harmony of its halls and denizens. Despite the pleasure, her brows were furrowed into a much more accentuated wrinkle than the Archon's own.

"I am bound by blood to help. But Zith is right."

tomafox
2014-11-11, 11:09 PM
"You say there's payment involved?"

Muenster Man
2014-11-12, 09:52 PM
"So, how futile have attempts been to persuade them in the past? I'm assuming this isn't the first time you've tried to have others talk them out of it before. Failing that, we could always try to have a giant ramp commissioned. Y'know, about 80 feet tall, have it slowly veer off and flip so that eventually at a point the modrons slip and collapse in some embarrassing pile." Theo makes a gesture with his hands trying to describe the ramp and makes crashing sounds to describe the modrons falling off. "Yeah, that's a good plan. You can do that, right?"

Filtro
2014-11-12, 10:18 PM
@ Zith and Desdemona
"I told you. The only reason the modrons would start it out of their intended schedule is because they must have been infused with chaotic mysterious forces. Maybe there's a way to confuse them or persuade them to stop it and deorganize it."

@ VelKez
"Yes, outlander. If you manage to detour, stop or...*sigh*...destroy the March, somehow, I will let you take 40 gold bars(each bar is worth 100gp) from the Golden Archon's Vaults."

@ Theo
"There would no time for that, noble traveler.
The March is entirely focused on it's symmetry, and not on the march itself. So there should be ways to slow it down...if everything you may come up with should fail, at least try and evacuate the town before It reaches it.

I also believe this is no accident. Something set those creatures lose to study the multiverse and find something. Why, I do not know... We need to stop it before it gets out of hand! Please."

Muenster Man
2014-11-12, 10:30 PM
"Well, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Please tell me you've actually started evacuating the town... right?" Theo raises his eyebrow and then snorts a bit. "You weren't just waiting to find some travelers you've never met before taking action, right? Because we'll investigate the modrons, but time is of the essence here and we can't guarantee anything." He smiles with a vaguely condescending grin and shakes his head.

Filtro
2014-11-12, 10:45 PM
"I have told you...we cannot risk being exposed to the same chaotic spark as the modrons were. We cannot leave our Halls, for now...if we could save Heart's Faith ourselves, we wouldn't have summoned you here.
You seem special, somehow. I believe it was no mere coincidence you were there to witness the beginning of this apocalyptic omen, adventurers.
The Gardenhead knows your names. He advised us to seek you.

You must help us. Please."

Muenster Man
2014-11-12, 10:50 PM
"Garden... head? Who's that?

Also, can you point us to where the modrons are right now? And where is Heart's Faith? Actually, while you're at it, you wouldn't happen to have a map of the area on hand, would you? Really specific request, I know, but every little bit helps."

tomafox
2014-11-12, 11:18 PM
Vel-Kez is all about being special, but he's not buying the whole lawful good angel crap...There must be something she wasn't being clear about.

[roll0]

kazooka
2014-11-13, 01:13 AM
"Well I'm in for a longshot," says Langley. "Worst case scenario, we can't stop it and some town I've never heard of has to be rebuilt half a mile to the left."

Anubis Dread
2014-11-13, 01:25 PM
Destroy?? Ah, now THAT was something that was possible. Insanely difficult yes, suicidal perhaps. But it was possible. It said something about how messed up outsiders were that it was easier to kill the entire populace of a lawful aligned one than it was to convince them to move out of the way.

"If you need them killed, we'll try it," Zith replied, wiping the last of the vomit from his mouth. God damn Celestia... he was born in the Abyss, he felt like he was in an astral ship that had drifted into Limbo. "I've never tried to kill a whole march before, but if we know exactly where they're heading then we have a chance."

Raiding the march wouldn't be possible with their low numbers... the only thing he could think of was to dig a really big pit right in their path and let them all fall into it. ...he... he thought somebody smarter than he was might be able to come up with a better plan.

Surgate
2014-11-13, 02:22 PM
Desdemona seemed troubled but determined. "I'm sure we will discover some clever means of saving Celestia from these corrupted modrons. Thank you for your summons Sword Archon, let us hope it wasn't in vain."