PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity Trip?

Slipperychicken
2014-10-20, 12:52 PM
So, the "shove" action says you can take it with the Attack action. Can I take it on an opportunity attack instead?

Here's the breakdown of what I'm trying to do:

An opponent runs up to attack my raging Polearm Mastery 18-Strength Barbarian
Opponent spends at least half his movement and enters the barbarian's 10ft reach (A developer's tweet confirmed that it's 10ft)
Opponent provokes AoO (because of polearm mastery).
Take a reaction attack.
Replace the attack with a Shove attempt to knock him prone (This is where I'm having trouble).
Roll Strength(Athletics) to knock the enemy prone while he's still 10ft away. This shouldn't be too hard with a high bonus and advantage.
Enemy does not have enough movement to stand back up and attack on his turn.

I know that a reasonable DM would probably allow this, but I'm asking about the RAW.

TheOOB
2014-10-20, 12:57 PM
Don't have my book handy, but I'm pretty sure you don't take the attack action when you make an attack of opportunity, you just make an attack. It's reaction, not an action.

MaxWilson
2014-10-20, 01:24 PM
Don't have my book handy, but I'm pretty sure you don't take the attack action when you make an attack of opportunity, you just make an attack. It's reaction, not an action.

Does Shove require an Attack action? I thought it just replaced one or more of your attacks by RAW.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-10-20, 01:29 PM
"Shoving a Creature
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee
attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or
push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple
attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces
one of them"
Specifically calls out the attack action.

Of course, if you RP something especially interesting, a DM can always fiat a shove instead.

Easy_Lee
2014-10-20, 01:32 PM
Since shove can replace an attack, since doing this makes sense, and since sentinel basically does a better version of this plus an attack, I don't see anything wrong with it.

MaxWilson
2014-10-20, 01:36 PM
"Shoving a Creature
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee
attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or
push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple
attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces
one of them"
Specifically calls out the attack action.

Of course, if you RP something especially interesting, a DM can always fiat a shove instead.

Thanks for the quote. Agreed, no reaction trips by RAW.

DrBurr
2014-10-20, 01:42 PM
Enemy does not have enough movement to stand back up and attack on his turn.

Assuming the DM allows you to do this, you stop the enemy at 10ft when you knock him prone. Enemy crawls the remaining 5ft which is counted as Difficult terrain costing 10ft of movement. Then use its attack action to hit you in the legs. Takes Disadv. But still has a chance to hit. :smallbiggrin: