PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2014-10-20, 02:16 PM
Hey guys. So if you check out the News post I just made, you can see that the fifth color compilation of OOTS strips, Blood Runs in the Family, is now available for pre-order (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/BloodRunsInTheFamily.shtml). Also, the 2015 wall calendar (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/ootscal15.shtml), featuring the heroes of OOTS.

There will also be a special reduced shipping rate for the pre-order; you can find details about that here (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/BloodRuns2015Calendar.shtml).

Here's a better look at the covers for each and the sample page for the calendar:
http://www.giantitp.com/Images/products/OOTS05_7in72dpi_RGBds.png

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/FrontCover2015_OOTSCalendar4in.png

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/03Mar2015_OOTSCalendar_Unified.png

If you have questions, ask them here and I'll try to answer them (and add them back to this post).

Also, just a note about the reduced shipping cost thing: You need to select the option that says "Preorder Fulfillment" (either U.S. or Intl) in order to get the lowered rate. That represents a bulk shipment that Ookoodook is able to do with the pre-order because they'll know in advance how many packages are being sent at once, with the packages then getting handed off to local post offices from there.

OAQ: Once Asked Questions:

Q: Will there be tracking on the reduced pre-order shipping option?
A: There will be tracking numbers available in case your package gets lost, yes. But they won't be sent out en masse when the orders are mailed; the Ookoodook staff will have a list that they'll be able to look up with the bulk shipping company, and if your package is overdue you'll be able to contact them and they'll contact the shipper about it. But there won't be real-time internet tracking like you might be used to from USPS. For that, you'll have to select one of the more expensive options.

Q: When will books arrive in local game stores?
A: Books should arrive in the first or second week of December. This shouldn't be different for U.S. or international distributors.

Q: Will there be books or calendars still available later if I don't pre-order?
A: The book should be in print from now on, yes. The calendar, not so much. While I'm certainly going to order more than just what is pre-ordered, I got a little burned last by people swearing up and down that they would buy the calendar later in the year just for the art. I ordered a lot more than people pre-ordered, and then sales plummeted to near zero by February. So this year, we're getting maybe 200-300 more than what's pre-ordered and that's it. If it sells out before the end of the year, so be it. (Also, if anyone want's last year's calendar just for the art, it's only $3.00 (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/product192.html) on clearance!)

Q: How long will the pre-order (and the reduced shipping rates) last?
A: Until the book arrives in the Ookoodook warehouse, probably in the first week of December. We'll announce that the books are on the way as soon as they leave the printer, so watch for a "last call" for pre-orders.

Q: It doesn't look like the reduced shipping prices are much lower than the regular prices.
A: The effect is most pronounced if you're ordering a calendar or multiple books, due to the larger boxes involved. If you're just ordering one book, the difference might be under $1.00, but if you're ordering the book and the calendar together, the difference could easily be $40.00 or more. We suggest experimenting with different combinations of items, and if you know friends who were planning on ordering, pool your order for maximum savings.

Porthos
2014-10-20, 02:21 PM
AND a new calendar!!! Was NOT expecting that! :smalleek:

My birthday's come early this year. :smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2014-10-20, 02:30 PM
Blast it Giant, youre making it awfully hard to continue being cheap. :smalltongue:

Grey Watcher
2014-10-20, 02:40 PM
New strip, book announcement, and a new calendar?

It's like I got a second birthday this year!

Also, I am really looking forward to Quoth the Familiar.

Lastly, Roy's cleavage has never looked so great.

SarahV
2014-10-20, 02:43 PM
Luckily they take Paypal, since my credit card just got stolen (yes, I'm having one of THOSE Mondays). Consider them both pre-ordered :smallsmile:

I'd say something like "it will be just in time for my Chanukah present to myself" but I think that would just be tempting fate with deadlines and whatnot. :smallwink:

pendell
2014-10-20, 02:45 PM
Hooray! If I hadn't just blown two months' entertainment budget on a PS2 game I'd order it right now. As it is, I will just have to delay gratification for just a little longer.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Giant
2014-10-20, 02:46 PM
Also, just a note about the reduced shipping cost thing: You need to select the option that says "Preorder Fulfillment" (either U.S. or Intl) in order to get the lowered rate. That represents a bulk shipment that Ookoodook is able to do with the pre-order because they'll know in advance how many packages are being sent at once, with the packages then getting handed off to local post offices from there.

MurkyMajare
2014-10-20, 02:46 PM
Yay, new book, new calendar and a new comic... this is a good day.

Curious though... how fast is the "Intl Preorder Fulfillment 1" shipping option?
Could not for the life of me find it over at Oki.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-10-20, 02:47 PM
You'll have enough books available if I don't pre-order now, right? Applications and stuff have left me a bit short on cash.

Cizak
2014-10-20, 02:52 PM
I've been looking forward to this one for so long. Thanks, Giant!

Do you have any sort of guess for when my local game store (overseas) might be carrying the book?

The Giant
2014-10-20, 02:52 PM
Yay, new book, new calendar and a new comic... this is a good day.

Curious though... how fast is the "Intl Preorder Fulfillment 1" shipping option?
Could not for the life of me find it over at Oki.

No idea. Not super-fast, I'd imagine, but then again, this is a pre-order: the book won't be coming out until the first week of December anyway. I'll ask Kevin from Ookoodook what he thinks the speed will be and get back to you.

You'll have enough books available if I don't pre-order now, right? Applications and stuff have left me a bit short on cash.

The book should be in print from now on, yes.

The calendar, not so much. While I'm certainly going to order more than just what is pre-ordered, I got a little burned last by people swearing up and down that they would buy the calendar later in the year just for the art. I ordered a lot more than people pre-ordered, and then sales plummeted to near zero by February. So this year, we're getting maybe 200-300 more than what's pre-ordered and that's it. If it sells out before the end of the year, so be it. (Also, if anyone want's last year's calendar just for the art, it's only $3.00 (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/product192.html) on clearance!)

The Giant
2014-10-20, 02:53 PM
Do you have any sort of guess for when my local game store might be carrying the book?

Local game stores should get the book the first week in December, second week at the latest (depending on the store and when they order). They won't be getting the calendar at all, that's Ookoodok-only.

YohanLeafheart
2014-10-20, 02:56 PM
Quick question about international shipping, do you know if the preorder fulfillment will have tracking? I really do not want to risk having the book lost in the mail.

The Giant
2014-10-20, 02:57 PM
Quick question about international shipping, do you know if the preorder fulfillment will have tracking? I really do not want to risk having the book lost in the mail.

Don't know. I will ask.

Cizak
2014-10-20, 02:58 PM
Local game stores should get the book the first week in December, second week at the latest (depending on the store and when they order). They won't be getting the calendar at all, that's Ookoodok-only.

I edited my first post just a little bit too late; does that include game stores overseas?

SaintRidley
2014-10-20, 03:01 PM
Well, consider them pre-ordered. This is looking nice. Especially the calendar.

The Giant
2014-10-20, 03:03 PM
I edited my first post just a little bit too late; does that include game stores overseas?

To my knowledge, distribution is the same speed everywhere, since the distribution companies have warehouses all over. So, if your local game store is planning on ordering it, it should be on the shelves at the same time as here in the US.

Cizak
2014-10-20, 03:05 PM
To my knowledge, distribution is the same speed everywhere, since the distribution companies have warehouses all over. So, if your local game store is planning on ordering it, it should be on the shelves at the same time as here in the US.

That's awesome! Thanks!

The Giant
2014-10-20, 03:09 PM

OK I have an answer on this:

There will be tracking numbers available in case your package gets lost, yes. But they won't be sent out en masse when the orders are mailed; the Ookoodook staff will have a list that they'll be able to look up with the bulk shipping company, and if your package is overdue you'll be able to contact them and they'll contact the shipper about it. But there won't be real-time internet tracking like you might be used to from USPS. For that, you'll have to select one of the more expensive options.

LuPuWei
2014-10-20, 03:11 PM
:thog: - title! (ie, I like the title [and also remember a thread talking about what it might be])

apegamer
2014-10-20, 03:16 PM

There will be tracking numbers available in case your package gets lost, yes. But they won't be sent out en masse when the orders are mailed; the Ookoodook staff will have a list that they'll be able to look up with the bulk shipping company, and if your package is overdue you'll be able to contact them and they'll contact the shipper about it. But there won't be real-time internet tracking like you might be used to from USPS. For that, you'll have to select one of the more expensive options.

Right! I'll try to monitor this forum for shipping questions and answer them as soon as I can.

grouchybeast
2014-10-20, 03:19 PM
Do you know of any places in the UK that will be stocking Blood Runs in the Family, please? International shipping is getting so expensive :-(

neothoron
2014-10-20, 03:21 PM
They both look great. Pre-ordered.

However, I would like to ask - how long will it take for Intl Preorder Fulfillment 2 to arrive? I am asking because I will be going on vacation on December 19th for 4 weeks, and I am worried that the package could be sent back without me being able to collect it.

Crusher
2014-10-20, 03:22 PM
Now *this* is a good way to start the week.

The Giant
2014-10-20, 03:23 PM
Do you know of any places in the UK that will be stocking Blood Runs in the Family, please? International shipping is getting so expensive :-(

We don't really have a means of keeping a list of stores that stock it, sorry. We only sell to distributors, and then those distributors sell to individual stores. But if you've ever bought an OOTS book at a store before, they're likely to have this one, too.

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-20, 03:30 PM
I'm a bit curious to see how the Calendars will work, because the 2014 one is based on the book releases.

The March Panel we've seen just seems to be a stand-alone shot. I'm really curious if there's going to be a connection between the panels or if it's going to be The Order doing heroic and adventuring things.

Edit: Regardless, I'm sold. My order (ha) is already in. I'm psyched!

ChristianSt
2014-10-20, 03:31 PM

Best way is probably to ask your FLGS whether they can/will order them.

YohanLeafheart
2014-10-20, 03:37 PM

Fair enough. That should do it. Another quick question, up until when can we preorder it?

The Giant
2014-10-20, 03:43 PM
Fair enough. That should do it. Another quick question, up until when can we preorder it?

The pre-order will last until the book arrives in the warehouse. And there will probably be announcements from us that the book has left the printer, so there will be a "Last Call" for the pre-order shipping.

Also, based on a Twitter conversation: The reduced rates seem to be much more favorable if you're getting a book and a calendar, because the bulk shipping is most effective with the larger boxes. It won't be less cash than if you just get a book, but it will be dramatically less than if you wait and order it after the pre-order. I just checked the rates to New Zealand on a book and a calendar: $31.45 now, $77.50 once the pre-order ends. Which is robbery on the part of USPS, and also why Ookoodook went through the trouble to set up the pre-order bulk shipment. Just getting the book, though, doesn't see as strong increase: $24.35 to up 24.50.

apegamer
2014-10-20, 03:57 PM
Just getting the book, though, doesn't see as strong increase: $24.35 to up 24.50.

Even though a single book won't save you much money going through fulfillment, we will package the book in a much better kraft cardboard envelope than the standard USPS Priority envelope.

Overelemental
2014-10-20, 04:04 PM
Totally insane shipping rates compared to other companies, but I guess it's the only way to get a hold of the book. Look forward to reading it regardless.

littlebum2002
2014-10-20, 05:23 PM
I bought this book JUST for the original #3 "Durkon gets vamped" strip. I can't believe Rich found that in his archives from so long ago.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-10-20, 05:42 PM
I am so buying this. I wasn't expecting the calendar, may have to get that too. :smallsmile:

Porthos
2014-10-20, 05:50 PM
Aaaaaand ordered.

Even bought a few 2014 calendars as something of a tip. :smallwink:

Synophmn
2014-10-20, 05:51 PM
Well, here's another thing to add to my Christmas wishlist.
On another note, I guess Belkar will be on the cover of the next book, since Mr. Scruffy and Blackwing are on this one. I guess that's fitting though, since it'll probably be the last book/he's in. :smallfrown:

Zain_Thorngallow
2014-10-20, 06:48 PM
Giant, is there any possibility of having as-yet unshipped books from the Kickstarter attached to this new book's pre-order, if the custom KS stuff still won't be complete for a while?

I still haven't received the last two tomes ordered during the Kickstarter, which dampens my enthusiasm for a *new* pre-order rather strongly.

I backed at a crayon drawing tier so I understand the desire to save on shipping fees and send all the physical products together in one big batch. I also understand that the crayon drawings have been taking time. But is has been two and a half years for me in the sad land of booklessness. :(

The Giant
2014-10-20, 07:36 PM
If you're waiting on a crayon drawing, that package is coming from me in Philadelphia, while the new pre-orders are going to be shipping from Houston (where Ookoodook is). In order for you to get those books, I'd have to sign them and then mail them to Houston, and he'd then have to mail them to you. So there would both be an extra step in shipping that needed to be paid for and I'd have to take time away from working on other stuff in order to coordinate it (since once I offered it to one person, every other person would ask for it as well).

I'm hoping to plunge into the crayon drawings again once the proofs have been approved for both products, and hopefully I'll be getting a lot of them out before the holidays this year.

HeeJay
2014-10-20, 08:51 PM
Shut up and take my money!

Also, much thanks for the new pre-order international shipping rate! It's way more affordable than the usual "delivered on the back of a white elephant while a chorus of virgins sings "Your package has arrived!" and the Blue Angels fly overhead" shipping.

DaggerPen
2014-10-20, 08:55 PM
Well I know what my Christmas list is now.

(Also, I see from the calendar preview that Julia's gotten a wardrobe change.)

Grey Watcher
2014-10-20, 09:14 PM
Well I know what my Christmas list is now.

(Also, I see from the calendar preview that Julia's gotten a wardrobe change.)

Well, what do you expect? It's January, and the outfit she had before is SOOOO 2006! As if!

137beth
2014-10-20, 09:25 PM
At last!
The one I am most excited about is the poem, followed by Strip A (or whatever it is called now).

Darth Paul
2014-10-20, 10:06 PM
Hooray! If I hadn't just blown two months' entertainment budget on a PS2 game I'd order it right now. As it is, I will just have to delay gratification for just a little longer.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Wow. You have a PS2? (Me too, but it's at the bottom of my closet...)

My pre-order is done!

earthpig
2014-10-21, 01:09 AM

http://www.orcsnest.com/sinresult.asp?Search=Search&entered=Order+of+the+stick

Or

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Order_of_the_Stick.html

The book won't show up until they have it in their distribution list usually 1-2 weeks before they are due to receive it. Shipping should be around GBP 4-7

Koolkevk
2014-10-21, 02:12 AM
(Also, if anyone want's last year's calendar just for the art, it's only $3.00 (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/product192.html) on clearance!)

Darn I specifically checked for last years calender and couldn't find it so I figured it was discontinued and checked out. Does anyone know if Ookoodook allows orders to be updated/changed? I couldn't find anything on their site about it so I sent a support message.

ChristianSt
2014-10-21, 07:31 AM
Why on Earth is international shipping so expensive? :smallfrown:

I would really love to just instant preorder both Book 5 and the Calendar.
But I think I need to consult my FLGS about their price first, because the jump in shipping to add Book 5 is really high. I can say I will for sure order the Calender, because I really want that and there is no real alternative.

I'm torn whether I should call $10.15 for a $17 Calendar "reasonable" or not, though. :smallyuk:

Adding other stuff onto the order doesn't really help either, because there doesn't seem to be a combination of stuff I want that doesn't add at least 50% additional item value as shipping costs. The so far "best" option I have found would be the two Calendars, the Book, two small Card Games and a T-Shirt. That would be "only" $48.26 Shipping for a $90.88 order. But with a such large package I think I would probably have to pay some import duties, which makes it even more expensive...

littlebum2002
2014-10-21, 08:17 AM
Darn I specifically checked for last years calender and couldn't find it so I figured it was discontinued and checked out. Does anyone know if Ookoodook allows orders to be updated/changed? I couldn't find anything on their site about it so I sent a support message.

Doing the same here.

I will post the results for the inspiration to others. However, I'm still upset they're out of scratched & dented OOPC's and SoD. Added some unnecessary extra dollars to my already large bill.

Ghost Nappa
2014-10-21, 09:23 AM
Trying to read the dialogue on the bottom of the calendar but all I can make out is Belkar's first four words to Julia:

"I will pay you.." :smalleek:

fishboy
2014-10-21, 09:28 AM
http://www.orcsnest.com/sinresult.asp?Search=Search&entered=Order+of+the+stick

Or

http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/Order_of_the_Stick.html

The book won't show up until they have it in their distribution list usually 1-2 weeks before they are due to receive it. Shipping should be around GBP 4-7

THANK YOU!
I was a little bummed when I read that the new book wasn't available through Amazon. There's no doubt that I must have the book and I would love to support Rich and Ook as much as possible, even if it means paying 68% of the book price in P&P, BUT US imports to Denmark (over ~$14) get hit with a 25% VAT + $28 fee = $105 for the book :smallfurious:

Koolkevk
2014-10-21, 09:59 AM
Doing the same here.

I will post the results for the inspiration to others. However, I'm still upset they're out of scratched & dented OOPC's and SoD. Added some unnecessary extra dollars to my already large bill.

I just got an response this morning. They said the easiest method would be to just cancel the order on their end and have me reorder it with the updated items. Seems like a simple enough plan.

Although...now that I plan on getting the 2014 calender, it'd feel incomplete to not have the 2015 one as well...

littlebum2002
2014-10-21, 10:10 AM
I just got an response this morning. They said the easiest method would be to just cancel the order on their end and have me reorder it with the updated items. Seems like a simple enough plan.

Although...now that I plan on getting the 2014 calender, it'd feel incomplete to not have the 2015 one as well...

Awesome, I'll wait for that email since I'm sure I'll get it.

Griffincat
2014-10-21, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Mr. Burlew. I paid up yesterday and eagerly await my new book to complement my Kickstarter'ed pile of books. Plus calendars.

My toddler absolutely loves the OOTS coloring book, both as a story book and for its intended purposes. If you ever feel like making more , I will definitely acquire them.

Armitage
2014-10-21, 10:40 AM
I would really love to just instant preorder both Book 5 and the Calendar.
But I think I need to consult my FLGS about their price first, because the jump in shipping to add Book 5 is really high. I can say I will for sure order the Calender, because I really want that and there is no real alternative.
Same here. I'm going to order the two calendars (never got aroung to order the old one) from Ook, and then later order the book from some retailer in Europe.
In the past I bought my Books from Ook, boot (*g*) it's just getting to expensive... even the pre-order shipping almost doubles the price.

Lostboy
2014-10-21, 10:45 AM
With several of the previous book releases, a limited-edition OotS fridge magnet was included. I have Roy, Belkar, Elan and V. That's all of them, right? I don't think I have missed any of them.
I'm curious whether a bonus magnet is going to be added to this deal before the pre-orders go out. I'll be ordering the book regardless, but I'm itching to know.

SarahV
2014-10-21, 11:16 AM
Why on Earth is international shipping so expensive? :smallfrown:

It's not Oookoodook's fault. It's the postal service here. They massively jacked up prices on international shipping early last year. If I send a CD to a friend in Europe in a small padded envelope, it costs about $10 just in shipping (and a company would have to add in the cost of envelopes, paying people to pack them, etc.). It sucks, but that's what they charge now. I assume that big companies like Amazon can negotiate much more favorable rates than small businesses or individuals... which is a shame.

The Giant
2014-10-21, 11:51 AM
I'm curious whether a bonus magnet is going to be added to this deal before the pre-orders go out. I'll be ordering the book regardless, but I'm itching to know.

No, no magnet this time. The only other thing we'll be releasing before the year is the holiday ornament and the usual slate of t-shirts from CafePress, probably in November sometime. But since those need to be ordered separately from the Ookoodook stuff anyway, there wouldn't be any cost benefit to waiting to order.

glados131
2014-10-21, 12:00 PM
Holy crap, the foreword is by John Rogers?!
I absolutely loved the IDW D&D comics! That's fantastic!

(Also, any word on which character is doing the preface, or are you keeping it a surprise?)

ChristianSt
2014-10-21, 12:09 PM
It's not Oookoodook's fault.

I do not fault Ookoodook, but nevertheless it is really frustrating. Especially since I have the feeling that more things I'm interested in originate in the USA. (Kickstarter is also quite frustrating most of the time.)

I really appreciate Ookoodook's effort to reduce that ridiculous amount to a slightly less ridiculous amount.

asi
2014-10-21, 12:54 PM
Hmm. The shipping would be more than the book itself for me, and I don't think I'd really want to do that (even though I really want to have this one and No cure for the Paladin Blues, then my collection would be complete, until Book 7 appears). Maybe we could somehow manage to bundle the orders from Europe (I'm from Münster, Germany), if that can bring down the shipping costs. As far as I recall, in Germany you don't pay import taxes or tariffs or anything as long as it's "normal" books, right?

Joerg
2014-10-21, 01:21 PM
Hmm. The shipping would be more than the book itself for me, and I don't think I'd really want to do that (even though I really want to have this one and No cure for the Paladin Blues, then my collection would be complete, until Book 7 appears). Maybe we could somehow manage to bundle the orders from Europe (I'm from Münster, Germany), if that can bring down the shipping costs. As far as I recall, in Germany you don't pay import taxes or tariffs or anything as long as it's "normal" books, right?
You have to pay 7% import tax on books (the same amount as VAT) if the price including shipping is more than 22 €.
Yes, bundled orders seem to reduce the relative shipping costs.

asi
2014-10-21, 01:26 PM
7% makes sense, I guess, to align it with the reduced Mehrwertsteuer of 7% we have in Germany. That's good to know.

ChristianSt
2014-10-21, 01:33 PM

There was a thread for the last calendar, but imo it didn't make much sense if you also need to pay for shipping inside Germany - and that even with the more ridiculous shipping rates. Though maybe with books it might be worth earlier. I think if you want to organize something, it would make sense to start a new thread for that (I don't think it is really on-topic and gets way out of hand if other countries want to do the same).

I think the cheapest (and easiest) way to get the books is your FLGS (though that doesn't work for Ookoodook-exclusive stuff).

The Giant
2014-10-21, 01:35 PM
Just a note about the book: Turns out the number of pages was incorrect; it's only 368 pages, not 384. This doesn't change anything about it, all the same material is still included, I just put the wrong number when writing the announcements based on a misreading of the bookmap (I had my signatures misnumbered in the document). I'm only mentioning it for full disclosure.

Also, yes, if you want to discuss bundling orders with other posters, please start a new thread for that one. I want to keep this one clear for people to ask questions, and I don't really want to have to read dozens of unrelated posts to find them.

ChristianSt
2014-10-21, 01:58 PM
Just a note about the book: Turns out the number of pages was incorrect; it's only 368 pages, not 384. This doesn't change anything about it, all the same material is still included, I just put the wrong number when writing the announcements based on a misreading of the bookmap (I had my signatures misnumbered in the document). I'm only mentioning it for full disclosure.

At Ookoodook it is still listed with 384 pages, so that should probably be changed.

The Giant
2014-10-21, 02:14 PM
At Ookoodook it is still listed with 384 pages, so that should probably be changed.

Yes, I know, I don't have direct control over that page and have alerted Ookoodook.

Unregistered
2014-10-21, 04:29 PM
Preordered a book, two 2015 calendars and a single 2014 calendar. Shipping to Germany is 41.37 $. That's really steep but what can you do. (I wonder what it'd cost to ship the same parcel from Germany to the US).

Scaleybob
2014-10-21, 11:48 PM
It looks fantastic.

Are you going to be offering it though Diamond Previews? I work in a gaming/comic shop in NZ and none of our current suppliers carry OOTS.

SaintRidley
2014-10-21, 11:51 PM
Scaleybob - tweet column confirms that Diamond does distribute OotS books, so you should be able to acquire the book at your local gaming store, provided they order any. If you've seen OotS stuff there before, I wouldn't worry. If you haven't, I'd consider putting the bug in their ear to order some.

The Giant
2014-10-22, 12:04 AM
It looks fantastic.

Are you going to be offering it though Diamond Previews? I work in a gaming/comic shop in NZ and none of our current suppliers carry OOTS.

It probably won't be in Previews; OOTS is distributed through Alliance Game Distributors, among others, which is a Diamond sister company. While I think some Alliance products get featured in Previews, I don't think OOTS ever has been. If you order through Diamond, I can't imagine you having much trouble ordering through Alliance, though. There might also be other Pacific distributors, I don't know.

factotum
2014-10-22, 02:51 AM
Can't afford it, have pre-ordered anyway...food is optional, right? :smallbiggrin:

Shale
2014-10-22, 08:11 AM
Don't eat the book! DO NOT EAT THE BOOK.

To pre-order with or without the calendar. I never actually hung the 2014 one, but it was pretty as all hell. And I just got a bonus....

littlebum2002
2014-10-22, 08:56 AM
Rich,

I know this isn't the type of question you were looking to answer in regards to book #5, but I still have to ask it.

How on earth did you find a comic that you wrote 11 years ago? It must have been torture digging through archived files and whatnot, unless you're an INCREDIBLY organized person.

I personally would have about 3 hard drives, a handful of DVD's, and thumb drives I'd have to look through to find something like that. A little bit older and I'd have to go find my old ZIP drives.

keldorn
2014-10-22, 02:01 PM
If I order a new book plus a De Luxe Edition game, it seems to be cheaper to go for a medium box than a pre-order rate. Is there an error somewhere?

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm in the UK.

Reddish Mage
2014-10-23, 12:55 AM
I came, I saw, I bought the book and the calendar. Thanks :smallcool:

Aron Times
2014-10-23, 07:19 PM
Just popping in here to say that I pre-ordered the book. Hope you get a nice cut*, Master Burlew!

*Of the money I paid, and not a haircut nor a fatal wound with a slashing weapon (we don't want a repeat of Sir Thumb's predicament).

The Giant
2014-10-23, 07:42 PM
How on earth did you find a comic that you wrote 11 years ago? It must have been torture digging through archived files and whatnot, unless you're an INCREDIBLY organized person.

I personally would have about 3 hard drives, a handful of DVD's, and thumb drives I'd have to look through to find something like that. A little bit older and I'd have to go find my old ZIP drives.

It's not as unthinkable when you realize that I took the idea from that comic and decided that the Durkon-turns-undead event would still happen in the comic someday. When I published the first book, I was already doing stuff like saving the one-panel comics I did for BuzzComix to serve as bonus material, so it was just a matter of thinking, "Oh, whenever I get around to making Durkon undead, I'll use that old strip as bonus material for the book," and not deleting it. And then it just got carried forward with all the other OOTS material as I switched computers and whatnot.

So it was never really "lost" in the first place, it was just in a folder sitting and waiting until I needed it. When it came time to actually take the file and prep it for printing, it took me about 5 minutes to locate.

NerdyKris
2014-10-23, 07:59 PM
I never actually hung the 2014 one, but it was pretty as all hell. And I just got a bonus....

Oh thank god I'm not the only one. It just kept getting put off and put off and next thing you know it's September and the calendar is on top of a tall bookcase.

And I still ordered 2015.

LadyEowyn
2014-10-23, 08:13 PM
Rich, do you have some kind of list of which comic book stores stock your books? I'm in Victoria, BC in Canada and not planning to buy the book from Ookookdook due to shipping costs, but I'd buy it if it's at a local bookstore.

Porthos
2014-10-23, 09:44 PM
Rich, do you have some kind of list of which comic book stores stock your books? I'm in Victoria, BC in Canada and not planning to buy the book from Ookookdook due to shipping costs, but I'd buy it if it's at a local bookstore.

I doubt Rich has any sort of access to that sort of list. As a general rule, any comic store that gets from Diamond can order it for you.

But because I like a challenge (:smallbiggrin:), I did some google searching and I found out that in the past Skyhaven Games (https://www.facebook.com/SkyhavenGames) in Victoria, BC has carried Order of the Stick product. I would give them a call and inquire about it. They might not know about it yet, depending on how solicitation went, however. But, again, a general rule is: If a gaming/comic store has carried a product line in the past, they'll carry it in the future.

If you don't like Skyhaven Games for whatever reason, I'd call any stores in your town that carry D&D/RPG games. As a general rule (sense a pattern here? :smalltongue:), I've seen that role playing gaming stores love to carry OOTS product when they can.

LadyEowyn
2014-10-23, 10:17 PM
Thank you! That's very helpful! :smallsmile:

isamaru
2014-10-24, 09:40 AM
(Also, if anyone want's last year's calendar just for the art, it's only $3.00 (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/product192.html) on clearance!)

I'd love to grab this along with my book and new calendar order but when I did so my international shipping increased by 15 bucks, which is a little too much :smallannoyed:

Quartz
2014-10-24, 11:51 AM
Are Ookoodook going to be partnering with a UK/EU printer? Because those shipping rates are steep.

kenlund
2014-10-24, 12:22 PM
Did my book and calendar pre-orders. Thanks for making my x-mas shopping easy for a couple of people this year.

ThatNickGuy
2014-10-24, 05:53 PM
I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm pretty close. The $15 shipping to Canada means it's basically a $50 book and that's...a little much to me. Still debating and I'll likely break in a few days and order it.

Anyway, a brief question: given the page count in this book is nearly 100 pages more than previous books, shouldn't there be a little more than 10 pages of commentary? Given the sheer amount of content to cover, I feel like more commentary would be great. There are LOTS of big moments that occur throughout the book, especially in the last 50-ish strips.

Now, I want to be clear that I'm not complaining or expecting anymore. Personally, my favourite thing about the books is the commentary. I love reading the insights behind the decisions for story moments or character develop. Whether more is added or not won't affect my inevitable decision to pre-order the book. I was just curious.

The Giant
2014-10-24, 06:14 PM
Are Ookoodook going to be partnering with a UK/EU printer? Because those shipping rates are steep.

No, the price of shipping is what it is at this point; they're already offering lowered shipping throughout the pre-order. It's not getting any lower than that (and indeed, will rise once the pre-order ends), so plan accordingly.

I understand that it may be expensive for certain areas, but there's not really anything I can do about it at this point except to remind everyone that the book will also be available in local comic stores.

Anyway, a brief question: given the page count in this book is nearly 100 pages more than previous books, shouldn't there be a little more than 10 pages of commentary? Given the sheer amount of content to cover, I feel like more commentary would be great. There are LOTS of big moments that occur throughout the book, especially in the last 50-ish strips.

Now, I want to be clear that I'm not complaining or expecting anymore. Personally, my favourite thing about the books is the commentary. I love reading the insights behind the decisions for story moments or character develop. Whether more is added or not won't affect my inevitable decision to pre-order the book. I was just curious.

I prioritize extra in-story content over commentary, as more fans want more comics than want to read me droning on. But at any rate, there are 10 chapters, so there are 10 pages of commentary, same as in every other book so far. Actually, there is no commentary for the first cutaway to the MITD, since that's so short—it's covered in the commentary for the second cutaway—and two pages for the final chapter, but the formula still stands.

slb
2014-10-25, 02:41 AM
Preordered, but seriously am I the only one really disappointed Rich do not provide a PDF/ePUB version of his book ?

I'm in Europe and would prefer to give more money to the author rather than waste $25 on shipping, plus likely paying custom fees, all of this for moving around dead trees instead of a bunch of electrons :smallannoyed: ...

Cizak
2014-10-25, 06:24 AM
Preordered, but seriously am I the only one really disappointed Rich do not provide a PDF/ePUB version of his book ?

I'm in Europe and would prefer to give more money to the author rather than waste $25 on shipping, plus likely paying custom fees, all of this for moving around dead trees instead of a bunch of electrons :smallannoyed: ...

Giant's thoughts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?190789-New-OOTS-Book-quot-Snips-Snails-and-Dragon-Tales-quot/page7&p=10753359#post10753359) on digital copies (https://twitter.com/richburlew/status/458839353754935296) (courtesy of the Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335909-The-Index-of-the-Giant-s-Comments-III-We-ve-Left-a-Banana-In-Charge)).

Quartz
2014-10-25, 08:18 AM
No, the price of shipping is what it is at this point; they're already offering lowered shipping throughout the pre-order. It's not getting any lower than that (and indeed, will rise once the pre-order ends), so plan accordingly.

Begging your pardon, but that's not what I asked. Cafepress, who sell the OOTS tee shirts and mugs and stuff have a UK/EU partner (from whom I have purchased OOTS merchandise a number of times) and I'm wondering if Ookoodook might also have a UK/EU partner.

SaintRidley
2014-10-25, 09:38 PM
Not a big enough business to have an EU/UK partner, I would guess.

The Giant
2014-10-25, 10:50 PM
Begging your pardon, but that's not what I asked. Cafepress, who sell the OOTS tee shirts and mugs and stuff have a UK/EU partner (from whom I have purchased OOTS merchandise a number of times) and I'm wondering if Ookoodook might also have a UK/EU partner.

I answered your question with the first word of my response: No.

Advance Strat..
2014-10-25, 10:56 PM
Well this is my own dumb fault for waiting so long to do it, but it looks like the 2014 calendar is gone now from Ookoodook. Rats. Definitely going to get the new one though, as well as the book, can't wait to see those. :D

NerdyKris
2014-10-26, 09:12 AM
Not a big enough business to have an EU/UK partner, I would guess.

Cafe Press is also print on demand. It's not the same type of business model as Ookoodook. Ookoodook would need a warehouse and the ability to ship to that warehouse, which costs money, and splits the stock between two locations, that may need to be shipped back and forth to cover demand. Plus the overhead of keeping track of two seperate websites and warehouses.

CafePress just prints whatever someone orders at the moment and keeps a stock of t-shirts and mugs that can also be used by every one of their thousands of other clients. They could set up in a studio apartment and be fine. Printing books costs a lot more than printing t-shirts.

NihhusHuotAliro
2014-10-26, 02:25 PM
I... I did not see this coming.

ChristianSt
2014-10-26, 04:10 PM
After a bit of number crunching I'm only ordering the Calendar. It is really weird that is quite cheaper to order the Calendar and pick up the book at my FLGS instead of ordering both at the same time.

ooknabah
2014-10-27, 12:54 AM
Just a quick clarification: Is the expectation that the pre-orders should arrive in the same window (First couple weeks of December) as the retail copies, or will one or the other be a bit earlier/later? Cheers!

Armitage
2014-10-28, 01:43 PM
When I just ordered the new calendar the anniversary calendar was available again.
So if you don't have that one yet, go and get it!

The Giant
2014-10-28, 06:42 PM
Just a quick clarification: Is the expectation that the pre-orders should arrive in the same window (First couple weeks of December) as the retail copies, or will one or the other be a bit earlier/later? Cheers!

It's tough to say because I only have a vague idea of how long distribution really takes. They will be leaving the printer and heading to Ookoodook and Impressions at the same time. From there, Ookoodook will start mailing them out; Impressions will contact distributors like Alliance, who will inform them how many orders they've gotten from game stores. Once those orders are collected, Impressions will ship them to Alliance (and others), who will in turn ship them to stores. Will that take more or less time than Ookoodook mailing them? I don't know for sure, my feel is that it will take a little longer. How much longer? I couldn't say.

tomaO2
2014-10-29, 04:16 AM
I was wondering if the Kickstarter slush fund that was added after all the goals were met had any part in funding the printing of the new book.

While the chart explaining the fixed promises is all well and good, not much has been said on what the additional funds were used for, if anything.

The Giant
2014-10-29, 05:41 AM
I was wondering if the Kickstarter slush fund that was added after all the goals were met had any part in funding the printing of the new book.

While the chart explaining the fixed promises is all well and good, not much has been said on what the additional funds were used for, if anything.

There were no additional funds. Expenses from fulfilling the Kickstarter exceeded the amount raised, partly because of postage rate increases that occurred while I was injured, partly because of a higher tax rate than anticipated.

So no, the funding for the book is coming strictly from pre-sales and other sources (i.e. book store sales, t-shirts, etc.), not Kickstarter.

Kareasint
2014-10-29, 05:56 AM
So no, the funding for the book is coming strictly from pre-sales and other sources (i.e. book store sales, t-shirts, etc.), not Kickstarter.

I figured as much which is why I pre-ordered immediately.

(that and to keep my book collection complete. Also, I read the commentaries).

littlebum2002
2014-10-29, 08:27 AM
Know what would be really funny? A fake chapter with commentary like they do with movies, where the director and actors talk while the action plays. Well, for the first few pages, Rich just eliminates the speech bubbles and talks over it instead, as if that's how hes going to do commentary for the whole book. I've always thought that sort of commentary was dumb in movies, it would be absolutely horrendous in a comic strip.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-10-29, 10:21 AM
I never thought of that before. Does Kickstarter tell you anything about where the lines are on the tax brackets?

Lord Torath
2014-10-29, 03:38 PM
Know what would be really funny? A fake chapter with commentary like they do with movies, where the director and actors talk while the action plays. Well, for the first few pages, Rich just eliminates the speech bubbles and talks over it instead, as if that's how hes going to do commentary for the whole book. I've always thought that sort of commentary was dumb in movies, it would be absolutely horrendous in a comic strip.Might be kind of fun for the recap section...

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-10-29, 06:59 PM
Know what would be really funny? A fake chapter with commentary like they do with movies, where the director and actors talk while the action plays. Well, for the first few pages, Rich just eliminates the speech bubbles and talks over it instead, as if that's how hes going to do commentary for the whole book. I've always thought that sort of commentary was dumb in movies, it would be absolutely horrendous in a comic strip.

That would be very funny, although I think it might get more than a little awkward and would probably take up too many pages.

tomaO2
2014-10-29, 11:21 PM
There were no additional funds. Expenses from fulfilling the Kickstarter exceeded the amount raised, partly because of postage rate increases that occurred while I was injured, partly because of a higher tax rate than anticipated.

Wow, the maximum goal was 850k.
1,250k was raised and it STILL came short?

That's scary.

Alright, thanks for the information.

nogall
2014-10-30, 07:51 AM

Scott Adams, from Dilbert, kinda did that in a good way in a compilation book with some of the best of his strips. He inserted little notes in the margins with precisely the kind of comments you're mentioning, I remember I found them to be very funny and informative of his work process. Of course, I don't think this would necessarily work with a longer-strip format such as the one for OOTS.

t209
2014-10-31, 01:22 AM
So will there be renditions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo) for both
The slaves that were crucified by Tarquin.
and The fall of Resistance in 824-827 (The Azurite Wedding but the dead resistance will sing this in afterlife).

Ragan
2014-11-01, 08:49 AM
I want to preorder!

But, here in Denmark, any order from the US is subject to a $30 'processing fee' by customs. :smallfurious:

So - I need to buy the book locally if I do not want to pay for 2 books, and get one.

That is no problem, as we got plenty of good stores for that. But then I'm not able to preorder as it (seems) only possibly though the US retailer. Again, not a direct problem - but I would actually like to support The Giant as I truly appreciate the work. And especially support the books being made!

Give me a way, and I'll pre-order!

MiNo.

Reddish Mage
2014-11-02, 10:57 PM

Yes, a one-time windfall is just about the worst thing from a tax perspective. You get hit with the highest rates and you are absolutely unprepared with any tax planning to minimize that.

Wow, the maximum goal was 850k.
1,250k was raised and it STILL came short?

That's scary.

Alright, thanks for the information.

Recall the goals expanded as the funding continued. The Giant initially promised to reprint an old book, than his entire line along with a whole host of newly designed rewards. Also, those funds came with incentives, some quite expensive such as a large number of books and other swag, and the international incentives proved more expensive than the amount pledged (due to unanticipated import taxes/VAT/etc), and the expenses for fulfilling the incentives also came in higher than anticipated.

Targ Collective
2014-11-02, 11:08 PM
Let no-one say the Giant does not give value for money.

AndreasII
2014-11-03, 02:14 PM
I've got a question for apegamer about shipping costs for different numbers of Blood Runs in the Family.

I'm considering buying the books in bulk, because of the steep shipping costs to Norway. Experimenting with different numbers of books, I find the following discounts using the "Intl Preorder Fulfillment 1" compared to other shipping options:

1 book - $0.15 discount
2 books - $11.42 discount
3 books - $0.87 more expensive
4 books - $13.39 more expensive

Is there an error in the calculated preorder shipping costs for 3-4 books, or is it just not a good option for large quantities?

Armitage
2014-11-03, 02:37 PM
the international incentives proved more expensive than the amount pledged (due to unanticipated import taxes/VAT/etc)
Which are paid by the receiver, not the sender.
But the rest of your argument stands.

moossabi
2014-11-04, 09:48 PM
Since you have labeled the new calender as the "Hero Calender," Does that mean that there will be a Villain calender? :smallconfused:

The Giant
2014-11-10, 11:13 AM
I want to preorder!

But, here in Denmark, any order from the US is subject to a $30 'processing fee' by customs. :smallfurious:

So - I need to buy the book locally if I do not want to pay for 2 books, and get one.

That is no problem, as we got plenty of good stores for that. But then I'm not able to preorder as it (seems) only possibly though the US retailer. Again, not a direct problem - but I would actually like to support The Giant as I truly appreciate the work. And especially support the books being made!

Give me a way, and I'll pre-order!

MiNo.

You're still supporting me by buying it in a local store. I understand the desire to try to make sure as much money as possible is ending up in GITP's pocket, but there are other forms of value you could give—like the time it would take me to figure out a way to get pre-orders without the customs fees. That's time being taken away from the comic and everything else I need to be doing. So, feel free to walk into your local store and buy it there, knowing that by doing so you kept me from having to spend days trying to work out some byzantine pre-order system that somehow bypasses customs.

Ragan
2014-11-13, 02:28 AM
You're still supporting me by buying it in a local store. I understand the desire to try to make sure as much money as possible is ending up in GITP's pocket, but there are other forms of value you could give—like the time it would take me to figure out a way to get pre-orders without the customs fees. That's time being taken away from the comic and everything else I need to be doing. So, feel free to walk into your local store and buy it there, knowing that by doing so you kept me from having to spend days trying to work out some byzantine pre-order system that somehow bypasses customs.

Thanks for the reply. I'll just buy the book whenever it is here.

Additional not important info:

The customs fee is on "all products shipped from outside the EU to Denmark with a value of over $15" - so it has nothing to do with 'pre-order' as such. And there are no way around it. Sorry that I was not clear.

A solution, would be to have one retailer in EU (europe) taking preorders also.
Another solution would be for your US retailer to make sure that shipping is made from a retailer in the EU, rather than directly from USA.

stgresh
2014-11-13, 04:39 PM
New book awesome. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this but I wanted to ask I got all your previous books through the kickstarter signed with your awesome little character doodles, is that a possibility on this book signed/special addition. It would be really great if they all matched I understand if it's an option we need to wait for.

Ted The Bug
2014-11-18, 05:41 PM
Any word on when the reduced preorder shipping is ending?

Garwain
2014-11-20, 03:54 AM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for teasing us with the book proofs on your twitter. I do wonder: what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?

Garwain

Werbaer
2014-11-20, 04:25 AM
what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?
All my books have strip titles, with one minor exception (one story in SS&DT).

ChristianSt
2014-11-20, 06:57 AM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for teasing us with the book proofs on your twitter. I do wonder: what made you change your mind to include strip titles in the book, while this was previously only online content?

Garwain

Not sure what your source is for this claim, but all the strip that have a title online also have it in the books.
Though there are strips that don't have a title, most notable the books OtOoPCs and SoD only have page numbers.

Maybe you misremember a post Rich made about why he doesn't show titles on the online pages:

Actually, the answer is, "I prefer the title NOT to be shown".

The titles are, if anything, "bonus" jokes. If you are following the comic as it comes out, you will see it displayed in the sidebar for an extra laugh. If you're reading the archive, you can open a separate page for the archive list and follow along with them. And if you're not willing to do either of those things, well, then you don't get the bonus joke. Oh well. It's not the end of the world.

And since I just noticed on the Twitter picture (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/534781295474524160): It shows that there is a strip 833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html)b that features Jirix :smallsmile:.

factotum
2014-11-20, 07:56 AM
And since I just noticed on the Twitter picture (https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/534781295474524160): It shows that there is a strip 833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html)b that features Jirix :smallsmile:.

And with a title of "Villainy A-" (can't quite read the second letter of the second word, and the rest is hidden by the pages on top of it). Presumably a follow-on joke of some sort from the title of strip #833 being "Villainy Afoot".

Mind you, the part of the page we can actually see is identical to the bottom-left corner of the online strip #833, which is odd...

Garwain
2014-11-20, 08:03 AM
Not sure what your source is for this claim, but all the strip that have a title online also have it in the books.
Though there are strips that don't have a title, most notable the books OtOoPCs and SoD only have page numbers.

Maybe you misremember a post Rich made about why he doesn't show titles on the online pages.
I have read the books twice, but I guess I never took notice... :smallamused:hmm. I bet you are right about that post though....

Lord Torath
2014-11-20, 08:34 AM
And with a title of "Villainy A-" (can't quite read the second letter of the second word, and the rest is hidden by the pages on top of it). Presumably a follow-on joke of some sort from the title of strip #833 being "Villainy Afoot".

Mind you, the part of the page we can actually see is identical to the bottom-left corner of the online strip #833, which is odd......Maybe he's changing his numbering system? So two-page comics get an "a" and a "b"? Or maybe this is the reason they send proofs before printing, so he can make the necessary corrections to their errors...

littlebum2002
2014-11-20, 09:49 AM
I don't have my books in front of me. Do bonus strips usually get their own titles?

I think this is an error IMHO.

Throknor
2014-11-20, 10:04 AM
...Maybe he's changing his numbering system? So two-page comics get an "a" and a "b"? Or maybe this is the reason they send proofs before printing, so he can make the necessary corrections to their errors...

Multi-page strips used the same numbers. Rather than do decimal numbering the bonus strips would be the number that preceded them plus a letter. I'm pretty sure the thieve's guild fight had new titles but they were still numbered 644a-whatever as I recall. (Stupid packed books.)

Lord Torath
2014-11-20, 11:11 AM
I don't have my books in front of me. Do bonus strips usually get their own titles?

I think this is an error IMHO.Yes, the bonus strips have their own titles. And they use the 333a, 333b, 333c format, where "333" is the online comic immediately preceding the bonus strip. I agree, it's probably a printer error.

Gift Jeraff
2014-11-20, 12:59 PM
Multi-page strips used the same numbers. Rather than do decimal numbering the bonus strips would be the number that preceded them plus a letter. I'm pretty sure the thieve's guild fight had new titles but they were still numbered 644a-whatever as I recall. (Stupid packed books.)

Hence why he said changing.

Throknor
2014-11-20, 01:51 PM
Hence why he said changing.

I read 'changing' as 'doing something new'. He probably isn't; it's probably a bonus strip that follows a pattern he's used before. 833 is the last we see of Jirix on-line so it's most likely whatever he did immediately after squishing the demon roach.

I just noticed on the cover art the dust-cloud Belkar is kicking up that extends to the backpage and Mr. Scruffy & Blackwing in silhouette as well.

Porthos
2014-11-20, 03:36 PM
I read 'changing' as 'doing something new'. He probably isn't; it's probably a bonus strip that follows a pattern he's used before. 833 is the last we see of Jirix on-line so it's most likely whatever he did immediately after squishing the demon roach.

I just noticed on the cover art the dust-cloud Belkar is kicking up that extends to the backpage and Mr. Scruffy & Blackwing in silhouette as well.

That proof is almost certainly the second page of 833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html). The 'tell' is not only the identical Jirix panel, but the identical panel that is cropped above it. Plus, you know, identical title. :smallwink:

Either Rich changed his numbering scheme for this book or he forgot he did it a prior way or it was a printer proof error. Or something else entierly.

No real biggie, IMO.

Throknor
2014-11-20, 04:17 PM
That proof is almost certainly the second page of 833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html). The 'tell' is not only the identical Jirix panel, but the identical panel that is cropped above it. Plus, you know, identical title. :smallwink:

Either Rich changed his numbering scheme for this book or he forgot he did it a prior way or it was a printer proof error. Or something else entierly.

No real biggie, IMO.

Huh; looked at the wrong panel and thought it was new. Like I said, my books are packed. I thought only new strips got letters. A good one to check would be 200 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html), being four pages. As for the title it could have been 'Villainy Ahead'.

However, these are proofs. The letter we see could be wrong, added by either the newer software or the printer.

Just one more thing to look forward to.

The Giant
2014-11-20, 10:06 PM
You guys seriously are overanalyzing the footer thing.

Strips with more than one page get "a" attached to the first page and "b" attached to the second page, so that 833a is the first page of what would just be 833 online, and 833b is the second page of the same strip. Bonus strips also get "a" notations based on the strip they appear after, so a bonus strip that appears after strip 968 would be numbered 968a. If there were two bonus strips in a row, the next one would be 968b, and so on. In the event that a bonus strip follows a multipage strip, I just make it the next letter—"c" or "d" or whatever. The point is that every page needs to have a unique page number listed, both for the reader so they can clearly reference it if needed and the printer so they don't mess up pagination.

So, there are no errors in the proofs shown regarding footers or folios.

ChristianSt
2014-11-21, 04:14 AM
You guys seriously are overanalyzing the footer thing.

Strips with more than one page get "a" attached to the first page and "b" attached to the second page, so that 833a is the first page of what would just be 833 online, and 833b is the second page of the same strip. Bonus strips also get "a" notations based on the strip they appear after, so a bonus strip that appears after strip 968 would be numbered 968a. If there were two bonus strips in a row, the next one would be 968b, and so on. In the event that a bonus strip follows a multipage strip, I just make it the next letter—"c" or "d" or whatever. The point is that every page needs to have a unique page number listed, both for the reader so they can clearly reference it if needed and the printer so they don't mess up pagination.

So, there are no errors in the proofs shown regarding footers or folios.

Than the confusion arose about this changed system. The previous compilation books used a different system. In them multipage strips featured the same number on all pages and "a, b, c" were only used for bonus strips.

I don't mind this change (since it is kinda confusing to have the same numbers multiple times), but because of the past I fought "833b has to be a bonus strip", without further looking into it.

ThatNickGuy
2014-11-22, 08:11 PM
Welp, I broke down and pre-ordered the book just now. Hopefully - *knocks on wood* - it'll arrive before Christmas. Obviously, no guarantees on that, but here's hoping.

Lhynard
2014-12-02, 10:06 AM
My question is about the calendar. Will New Year's Day be on a Thursday or a Friday?

(I ask because of the Order's "mistake" at the end of the last calendar. :smalltongue: )

NerdyKris
2014-12-03, 10:12 PM
I'd assume Thursday, since otherwise the entire calendar would be off for a whole year for the sake of a joke, which would render it a pretty useless calendar.

Lhynard
2014-12-03, 11:26 PM
I'd assume Thursday, since otherwise the entire calendar would be off for a whole year for the sake of a joke, which would render it a pretty useless calendar.

Of course; I was just being silly.

Although, I suppose they could just forget the 2nd or something to make it all line up again.:smallwink:

William Fox
2014-12-10, 12:45 PM
My wife called me today to tell me that I got a present in the mail. For a brief moment, I was super excited, thinking that maybe my new OotS book had arrived. The realization that it is still too early for that and my wife telling me it was from my best friend collided simultaneously and has now made me sad.

littlebum2002
2014-12-10, 12:46 PM
My wife called me today to tell me that I got a present in the mail. For a brief moment, I was super excited, thinking that maybe my new OotS book had arrived. The realization that it is still too early for that and my wife telling me it was from my best friend collided simultaneously and has now made me sad.

Funny, I felt the EXACT same way reading the first sentence of your post and then the rest. For a second I thought "Oh good, then mine must be coming soon, too"

William Fox
2014-12-10, 12:53 PM
Sorry to bring everyone down with false hopes of a book arrival. :P

But soon, people, soon.

Rogar Demonblud
2014-12-10, 01:31 PM
Damn. Right back to being eight and opening the present, hoping for an NES, and getting...more socks.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-10, 01:40 PM
Funny, I felt the EXACT same way reading the first sentence of your post and then the rest. For a second I thought "Oh good, then mine must be coming soon, too"

Same here. :smallfrown: Still, it probably will be coming in the next week or so, so not long left. :smallsmile:

Lord Torath
2014-12-12, 04:20 PM
You guys seriously are overanalyzing the footer thing.Yes, but you knew we would. After all, this is us! :smallwink:

Just got an email update from Ookoodook!:smallbiggrin:

Here's what it says:

I wanted to send you an update on the shipping status of the new Order of the Stick book, Blood Runs in the Family, and the 2015 calendar.

Both items are still at the binder, and they are expected to finish next week. They will then be shipped to our warehouse and we'll work frantically to get them out to you as quickly as we can. We already have all of the orders pre-packed with non-pre-order items and labeled - waiting only to drop in the pre-order items when they arrive.

Realistically though, many of the orders won't arrive before the 25th, especially international orders.

For the latest status, you can check in on the ookoodook.com homepage where it says "Order of the Stick Pre-Order Shipping Status". Currently the status shows "At Printer".

Email questions to us at [email protected]. At this point we can handle address changes, if necessary. We cannot ship partial orders, or change order contents, but we can delete orders.

Kevin Brusky

President, APE Games
Ookoodook.comSo not the best news, especially for those of you not in the Continental US :smallfrown:, but still good to know things are progressing. Thanks for all your hard work, Ookoodook! :smallbiggrin:
("Ferb and I have decided to use this time as an opportunity to practice patience")

sam79
2014-12-13, 03:01 AM
So not great news, but not really terrible news (unless you are giving/receiving these items as Christmas gifts), and hardly unexpected. Round here, always expect unexpected delays. :smallwink:

Thanks also to ookoodook for letting us know what is going on, and for getting those pre-orders prepped and ready to go.

Zar Peter
2014-12-13, 12:51 PM
Totally not unexpected :smallbiggrin:

Well, if they arrive in the middle of January I can look at the January picture of last years calendar which got a bit less attention because that calendar arrived in the middle of January, too :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2014-12-16, 12:11 PM
Wife OKed the preorder, so I'm finally in! Sad that the old calendars sold out though.

Is the exclusivity with ookoodook absolute? Amazon Prime's free 2-day shipping is kind of horribly addicting, to the point of I now feel slighted when I'm asked to pay shipping costs. Which I know is a reasonable expense, but still. If there's any chance of selling through Amazon in the future?

Cizak
2014-12-16, 02:03 PM
Found out my go-to store for nerdy stuff here in Sweden will be getting the book, so I'll be buying it from there once I get some christmas money. It's a bit cheaper than preordering from Ookookdook and I like to encourage local stores to get these kind of things. Really looking forward to reading it. :smallsmile:

The Giant
2014-12-19, 03:52 AM
This week has been utterly ridiculous in terms of stuff not getting where it was supposed to. The books were supposed to—after many delays, mind you—leave the printer on Monday and arrive at Ookoodook on Tuesday. Instead, they left on Tuesday and still aren't there yet. They actually arrived at Ookoodook's warehouse yesterday, but because Oookoodook doesn't have a loading dock they need a truck with a liftgate to deliver the ~50 pallets of books to them. The trucking company did not bring a truck with a liftgate, even though I told the printer to make sure to hire a truck with a liftgate. So the truck had to go back to, I don't know, Truckland and move everything from one truck to another and come back tomorrow.

This is only the latest incredibly stupid thing to happen on this print job. The good news is that I'm getting literally three different price discounts because they keep being incompetent. The bad news is WHY ARE THE BOOKS NOT THERE YET?

cheesymetal
2014-12-19, 10:41 AM
I guess bad news is better than no news. don't mind the wait honestly.

SarahV
2014-12-19, 11:56 AM
At this point, I think I would find it vaguely unfulfilling if I got an OOTS book/calendar/Kickstarter reward without any sort of unexpected delay. It's just part of the natural cycle of life. :smallbiggrin:

Emanick
2014-12-19, 12:09 PM
Well, if I could choose between getting my book on time and Rich not getting three different discounts, and getting my book late and, well, those discounts happening, I'd probably choose the latter. So all's good on my end. :smallcool:

SteveDJ
2014-12-19, 12:11 PM
This week has been utterly ridiculous in terms of stuff not getting where it was supposed to. The books were supposed to—after many delays, mind you—leave the printer on Monday and arrive at Ookoodook on Tuesday. Instead, they left on Tuesday and still aren't there yet. They actually arrived at Ookoodook's warehouse yesterday, but because Oookoodook doesn't have a loading dock they need a truck with a liftgate to deliver the ~50 pallets of books to them. The trucking company did not bring a truck with a liftgate, even though I told the printer to make sure to hire a truck with a liftgate. So the truck had to go back to, I don't know, Truckland and move everything from one truck to another and come back tomorrow.

This is only the latest incredibly stupid thing to happen on this print job. The good news is that I'm getting literally three different price discounts because they keep being incompetent. The bad news is WHY ARE THE BOOKS NOT THERE YET?

Sad to hear about the books -- maybe the discounts you are getting can just auto-upgrade people to a faster mode of shipping?

Meanwhile -- Any news on the Calendar?

Keltest
2014-12-19, 12:29 PM
At this point, I think I would find it vaguely unfulfilling if I got an OOTS book/calendar/Kickstarter reward without any sort of unexpected delay. It's just part of the natural cycle of life. :smallbiggrin:

Would that not make it an expected delay though? :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2014-12-19, 01:03 PM

Giant in the Playground: Where we always expect the unexpected! :smallcool:

littlebum2002
2014-12-19, 01:26 PM

Unexpected Hanging Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox)

SarahV
2014-12-19, 01:43 PM

Or is it... where we never expect the expected? :smallconfused:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-19, 09:36 PM
Well, that's too bad about the books. At least there's a silver lining.

Even the Spanish Inquisition?

2.5 cats
2014-12-20, 12:24 AM
Just got a shipping notice for the books & calendar I ordered from Ookoodook--looks like the annoying, unexpected delays are finally over! :smallcool:

By the way, I ordered a full set of books (including 2 copies of the new one; the full set is a gift), so it's shipping differently than most orders. Not sure if most folks will receive a shipping notification, but stuff is being shipped!

Lord Torath
2014-12-20, 11:32 PM
<runs and checks his email expectantly>

:smallsigh: Nothing yet.

The Giant
2014-12-21, 10:46 AM
Yup, books and calendars are in the warehouse and being packed up as we speak. I think they worked all through the night on Friday.

Ookoodook is telling me that some orders are running into a problem with—of all things—the TSA. I know almost nothing about which ones or why or what have you, just that some orders are affected and some are not. I'm pretty sure it's not affecting domestic orders that went with the Priority Mail option, though, so those are currently the ones most likely to arrive by Christmas (if that's a thing that matters to you).

This also means that the reduced shipping option is off the table for new orders, or will be as soon as they update their shopping cart software.

Keltest
2014-12-21, 11:16 AM

Apparently this no longer holds true, as I was not expecting the TSA to be causing problems.:smalleek:

SarahV
2014-12-21, 12:19 PM
Ookoodook is telling me that some orders are running into a problem with—of all things—the TSA.

:smallconfused: WTF? Did they try to ship some of the packages by passenger jet or something? The TSA doesn't regulate the mail.

Maybe they saw "blood" and "airship" and assumed someone was trying to smuggle liquids onto a plane.

Porthos
2014-12-21, 05:57 PM
You know, there's every likelihood that I'll get my package a day or two before Christmas. By rights, I really should wait until Xmas day to open it. Make it a present to me, as it were.

*realizes that means at least some people would read it before me*

*further realizes that means people could be discussing it here* :smalleek:

:belkar: SCREW THAT! I may not be the first person to read it, but I ain't gonna sit around and let others get ahead of me! Leave that for the goodie-goody types!
:belkar: Daddy needs his fix and he's gonna get it the second he can! :smallamused:

2.5 cats
2014-12-22, 09:45 AM
Got the books! Woohoo! :smallbiggrin:

Points to the Post Office--Texas to Massachusetts in one weekend (Priority Mail)!

littlebum2002
2014-12-22, 09:55 AM
:smallconfused: WTF? Did they try to ship some of the packages by passenger jet or something? The TSA doesn't regulate the mail.

Maybe they saw "blood" and "airship" and assumed someone was trying to smuggle liquids onto a plane.

Many consumer airlines have a freight service where companies like UPS can ship packages in the cargo area of the plane. This is perhaps the situation.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-22, 12:25 PM
Got the books! Woohoo! :smallbiggrin:

Points to the Post Office--Texas to Massachusetts in one weekend (Priority Mail)!
That's great! I hope my stuff arrives soon.

factotum
2014-12-22, 01:34 PM
I hope mine doesn't, considering I'm away from home until Friday evening! :smalleek:

SarahV
2014-12-22, 02:15 PM
I just remembered I got a notice that there was a USPS package waiting for me in the mail room on Saturday and I was sick all weekend so I didn't get it yet. It couldn't have gotten there so fast, could it? :smalleek: I'll be so annoyed at myself if I was sick in bed and bored all weekend feeling sorry for myself if it turns out there was a new OOTS book downstairs waiting for me :smalltongue:

Edit: The answer is no, it couldn't have gotten here so fast. But it was the only thing better than a new OOTS book: surprise homemade chocolate truffles! :smallbiggrin:

The Giant
2014-12-22, 11:22 PM
I just posted this to the News page, but I'll add it here too:

If anyone is planning on giving the book as a gift and it doesn't show up by Christmas, I've made a new PDF card that you can download and print out to announce the package's imminent arrival.

Download link (https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_TempImages/LateOOTSBookCard2015.pdf)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_TempImages/LateOOTSBookCard2015.pdf

Grey Watcher
2014-12-23, 12:13 AM

If anyone is planning on giving the book as a gift and it doesn't show up by Christmas, I've made a new PDF card that you can download and print out to announce the package's imminent arrival.

Download link (https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_TempImages/LateOOTSBookCard2015.pdf)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/GiantInThePlayground_TempImages/LateOOTSBookCard2015.pdf

I love it. Also, Belkar's snark at Roy is, as usual, great. :smallbiggrin:

Kareasint
2014-12-23, 06:45 AM
My book arrived yesterday by USPS Priority Mail. Some books may make it before Christmas.

The book looks good. Thanks for publishing it, Giant.

Cizak
2014-12-23, 09:41 AM

You probably have a thousand other things to do, but there are some art errors with various feet and hands on that card. As funny as always though.

Edit: I don't care, personally. I'm not giving the book to anyone.

ti'esar
2014-12-23, 02:30 PM
"He seems to be using some sort of psionic elk to see through the fog!"

I love it.

snowblizz
2014-12-23, 05:14 PM
So, silver-lining of late book cloud. An page of funny OOTS jokes. Since I had to go by way of local store I won't see any books this side of the year anyway so basically a bonus with no downside.

littlebum2002
2014-12-23, 05:23 PM
The best part is, if you're giving it to someone who isn't yet familiar with the new artwork, they won't know it's OOTS until they open it.

Sholos
2014-12-26, 09:23 AM
Should we assume that even domestic orders are still being packed and shipped? I have yet to receive even a notification that my order has shipped, let alone the actual book.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-26, 11:08 AM
Should we assume that even domestic orders are still being packed and shipped? I have yet to receive even a notification that my order has shipped, let alone the actual book.

Same here.

Crusher
2014-12-26, 01:57 PM
Same here.

Ah, I was just going to post with the same question. Was curious if anyone has gotten their book without a pre-ship email yet.

cheesymetal
2014-12-26, 04:18 PM
i maybe mistaken, but I do believe that it was said there would be no shipping email. I swear I read it somewhere around this forum.

Armitage
2014-12-26, 04:39 PM
Should we assume that even domestic orders are still being packed and shipped?
"even domestic orders"? Are you expecting Ookoodook to treat domestic orders differently than orders from overseas?
Not living in America I sure hope they don't.

Sir_Leorik
2014-12-27, 10:42 PM
I got my copy of book 5! Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Algeh
2014-12-29, 05:59 PM
I still have not gotten my books and calendar. I'm in the US and used the cheaper pre-order shipping option. I'm not upset that my stuff isn't here yet, but since other people in the thread have gotten their stuff I am wondering how much longer I should wait before contacting customer service to make sure my order wasn't eaten by wolves (or stolen off my porch, probably not by wolves).

Have other pre-order bulk shipping option people started getting their stuff yet, or just the Priority Mail people?

littlebum2002
2014-12-29, 06:04 PM
I got the cheap shipping, and I haven't gotten mine either

dmc91356
2014-12-29, 06:18 PM
I actually just emailed them and got a reply:

"We expect all orders to ship to the fulfillment company this week, at which point they'll ship out to individuals."

Etheolin
2014-12-30, 12:31 AM
I got the cheap shipping, and I haven't gotten mine either

Me too. I'm eagerly checking my mailbox every day!

cheesymetal
2014-12-30, 12:46 AM
sometimes i think its easier to see if i can pick up my orders at the warehouse. instead of waiting for a week plus, i can take a 3 hour drive and get my order. if only i could.

factotum
2014-12-30, 04:21 AM
Anyone international got theirs yet?

ChristianSt
2014-12-30, 04:54 AM
Anyone international got theirs yet?

Waiting on a Calendar to Germany, haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone information on Book 5 hitting FLGSs (especially international)? I didn't ordered through Ook because of the shipping cost (even while adding the Calendar...) and decided to go buy it from my FLGS.

Cizak
2014-12-30, 07:31 AM
Waiting on a Calendar to Germany, haven't heard anything yet.

Has anyone information on Book 5 hitting FLGSs (especially international)? I didn't ordered through Ook because of the shipping cost (even while adding the Calendar...) and decided to go buy it from my FLGS.

I haven't contacted them to clarify anything, but the Sci-Fi Bookstore (http://www.sfbok.se/asp/artikel.asp?VolumeID=140864) in Sweden recently changed the release date from December to Febuary. I got sad.

Keltest
2014-12-30, 07:41 AM
Well, I just received a "Sorry, it isn't here yet" card, so apparently they have not arrived in Pennsylvania either.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-12-30, 08:17 AM
I haven't received mine yet. Each day, I'm like "Oh boy, I bet this is the day where it arrives!", and then it doesn't. Oh well, I'm sure it will get here soon.

I haven't contacted them to clarify anything, but the Sci-Fi Bookstore (http://www.sfbok.se/asp/artikel.asp?VolumeID=140864) in Sweden recently changed the release date from December to Febuary. I got sad.
That's disappointing. I'm sorry to hear that.

Lukraak
2014-12-30, 12:32 PM
Mine just arrived in The Netherlands.
Just in time before I went off to the inlaws :)

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-12-30, 02:43 PM
Hmmm...I'm in america (philadelphia) and I still haven't recieved it yet. Anyone else in this area having that problem?

Sylthia
2014-12-30, 02:57 PM
Mine just arrived in The Netherlands.
Just in time before I went off to the inlaws :)

I've not gotten mine yet. I ordered the calendar and book and live in Missouri, USA.

Crusher
2014-12-31, 01:07 AM
Hmmm...I'm in america (philadelphia) and I still haven't recieved it yet. Anyone else in this area having that problem?

Virginia here, so similar region. Nothing yet.

Codyage
2014-12-31, 01:33 AM
Oklahoma, and yet to get mine as well. The site says wait 3-4 days, then a week after that if it hadn't arrived yet. So I will wait until the 1st, before sending them a message.

ella ventic
2014-12-31, 02:01 AM
New info on the website:

12/30/14 - Order of the Stick Pre-Order Shipping Status. Intl. Shipped to Fulfillment. Domestic Packed and Labeling. The new Order of the Stick book, Blood Runs in the Family, and the 2015 calendar are in various stages of shipping. International orders shipped to the fulfillment company yesterday, where they'll ship out to the various countries and then to you.

Domestic orders are all packed and we're labeling them for shipment. These should ship out to the fulfillment company tomorrow or Friday, and will be shipped to you as soon as they're received by them.

So there you have it. Best wait a while to send your anxious e-mails!

On the other hand, since I am just as impatient as anyone else, I don't suppose one of you lucky ducks who already got your books could pop down into the OOTS by Page Count (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?338549-OOTS-By-Page-Count) thread and fill us in on some of the pertinent details? Lengths of chapters/Rounds specifically? Pretty please?

HeeJay
2015-01-01, 03:28 AM
Haven't recieved my order yet - but no worries! I can use the December 32nd that's printed on the 2014 calendar. :smallsmile:

Vinsfeld
2015-01-01, 07:58 PM
12/30/14 - Order of the Stick Pre-Order Shipping Status. Intl. Shipped to Fulfillment. Domestic Packed and Labeling. The new Order of the Stick book, Blood Runs in the Family, and the 2015 calendar are in various stages of shipping. International orders shipped to the fulfillment company yesterday, where they'll ship out to the various countries and then to you.

Domestic orders are all packed and we're labeling them for shipment. These should ship out to the fulfillment company tomorrow or Friday, and will be shipped to you as soon as they're received by them.

Since I'm not american and not familiar with what a "fulfillment company" is, can anyone explain it to me?

SaintRidley
2015-01-01, 08:36 PM
Fulfillment center on wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulfillment_house)

ella ventic
2015-01-01, 09:06 PM
Speaking of, there's another update:

1/1/15 - Order of the Stick Pre-Order Shipping Status. Intl. Shipped to Fulfillment. Domestic Packed and Labeling. The new Order of the Stick book, Blood Runs in the Family, and the 2015 calendar are in various stages of shipping. International orders shipped to the fulfillment company yesterday, where they'll ship out to the various countries and then to you.

The team worked LATE into the night on New Years Eve labeling. The pallets should be picked up tomorrow (Friday) for fulfillment, and shipped to you from there.

HUGE thanks to everyone there for working so hard to fix someone else's mistake!

Crusher
2015-01-02, 03:09 PM
Speaking of, there's another update:

HUGE thanks to everyone there for working so hard to fix someone else's mistake!

Wow. I wonder what happened, exactly? I get that they had their timeline squished by the printer's delivery trouble and over the holiday season is not exactly ideal for dealing with large orders. Still, they presumably knew the volume of orders to be fulfilled and how long order labeling typically takes. You'd think they'd have found a way to contract some of it out rather than work late on 12/31 and again on 1/1 :/.

Sylthia
2015-01-02, 03:13 PM
Paid for the cheap shipping, but haven't heard anything about it arriving. How long should we wait before contacting somebody?

I'm not really in any hurry, I just want to make sure it didn't get lost somewhere.

ella ventic
2015-01-02, 04:13 PM
Last paragraph updated again, just confirming the previous estimates (and the first paragraph is out of date now; "shipped yesterday" means back on the 29th):

1/2/15 - Order of the Stick Pre-Order Shipping Status. Intl. Shipped to Fulfillment. Domestic Packed and Labeling. The new Order of the Stick book, Blood Runs in the Family, and the 2015 calendar are in various stages of shipping. International orders shipped to the fulfillment company yesterday, where they'll ship out to the various countries and then to you.

The team worked again yesterday to finish labeling. The pallets should be picked up today (Friday) for fulfillment, and shipped to you from there.

So, Rezkeshdadesh, if your order is via cheap domestic shipping, your order left the warehouse today!

factotum
2015-01-02, 05:19 PM
You'd think they'd have found a way to contract some of it out rather than work late on
12/31 and again on 1/1 :/.

Contracting out to someone else isn't going to be any cheaper than paying your own staff to work extra time over the holidays, and it would probably take longer because the contract workers would have to be brought up to speed with your internal processes before they could get started.

Sky_Schemer
2015-01-03, 10:02 PM
Paid for the cheap shipping, but haven't heard anything about it arriving. How long should we wait before contacting somebody?

I'm not really in any hurry, I just want to make sure it didn't get lost somewhere.

I did email and got a response that stuff was in the process of shipping out. I am domestic, west coast.

I don't mind about the books being a little late, but calendars are one of those items that really should arrive before the start of the year. That's kind of the whole point of a calendar.

So far, I have not really been impressed with Ookadook's handling of the pre-orders (both this one, and the previous book). I know it's a small operation, but this was hardly an unforseen demand. Once is excusable. Twice? Not so much.

Psyren
2015-01-05, 01:30 AM
FWIW I have my book. Though I am in the U.S. so I guess that's not much comfort to many folks posting here.

The author commentary in this one is pretty insightful.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-05, 01:51 PM
As someone who actually *uses* the OOTS calendar to mark Doctor's appointments, co-ordinate schedules, etc., not having a calendar by Jan. 1 is resulting in a bunch of post-its, printed out paper calendars taped to the wall, etc. It's a PITA.

In future years, please do NOT couple mailing the calendars with other new items (such as a new book). This is just too prone to delays. Please tell Ookadook to ship calendar only orders *first*. Offering calendars that (will) show up in mid-January is just unprofessional.

The Giant
2015-01-05, 05:26 PM
If you don't have your calendar yet, it's because you chose the reduced price shipping option—which was a bulk shipping deal. Bulk shipping means that no orders leave the warehouse until every order that chose the bulk shipping is ready to leave. Your order wasn't delayed because it was waiting for the books per se, it was delayed because the bulk shipping you chose is a lot slower—and, as circumstance would have it, it ran into some regulatory problems along the way. Had you selected the more expensive Priority Mail option, you would have gotten your calendar before Christmas (assuming you're in the USA).

Since the entire point of the bulk shipping is to save money by sending everything at once, pulling the calendar-only orders out and sending them first would have cost additional money.

littlebum2002
2015-01-05, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Luckily I only bought the 2014 calendar so another week isn't really going to hurt anything.

Fitzclowningham
2015-01-05, 06:24 PM
No book yet. I'm US/East Coast, fwiw.

Peelee
2015-01-05, 06:50 PM
No book yet. I'm US/East Coast, fwiw.

Well, thanks to the Giant's explanation, I'm assuming nobody who ordered low-cost got theirs yet, and the ones who have were all paying for it. I previously thought mine was in the back of the line due to the delayed order date, but because i chose cheap shipping, i wasn't going to say a word about it. Patience, my friend! The hour is nigh, and our victory will come soon enough.

zql
2015-01-05, 06:55 PM
I dreamt my book got home but the cover was all scratched. So I decided to read this thread.
Any news from international orders? Southamericans? I'm in Argentina and I'm a little anxious since taxes and customs are a little harsh lately.

The Giant
2015-01-05, 07:29 PM
Ookoodook has informed me that as of Saturday, January 3rd, all pre-order books/calendars have left Ookoodook's warehouse in Texas. That puts them in the hands of the bulk shippers, and since we've never used this shipping company before*, no one can say how long they will take from this point. I also can't say whether or not you will be getting a shipping email if you haven't gotten one already, because I don't know if they're doing that in the absence of direct tracking numbers that need to be distributed. But still: They're in the mail, on their way.

* Lest you think Ook rushed into this without trying the company out first, be aware that this is not the company that they originally planned to use. That first company had been employed successfully several times by APE Games for their (non-OOTS) Kickstarter fulfillment, but was the one to run afoul of the TSA for whatever reason that no one can explain to us yet. Ookoodook could not wait for that bureaucratic quagmire to be sorted out, so they switched the shipment to a competing company. It is that competing company that has the books, but we don't know for certain how long they will take to deliver them.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-05, 08:05 PM
If you don't have your calendar yet, it's because you chose the reduced price shipping option
I chose the Pre-order shipping option, the one advertised on the OOTS front page with a link that went to the following info on the Ookadook website:
"Blood Runs in the Family and the 2015 calendar are both scheduled to arrive in the Ookoodook warehouse during the first week of December, but can be pre-ordered now for immediate shipping when they arrive. During this pre-order, Ookoodook is able to offer a lower shipping price (both domestically and internationally) for most orders that include either the new book or the new calendar—just select the shipping option labeled "Preorder Fulfillment" at check-out for the lowest price."

No mention was made that this "Preorder fulfillment" option was going to so slow or that "immediate shipment" really meant a Dec 31-Jan 3 handoff to a fulfillment house that would then later ship them out.

Telling me that it's my fault for not choosing a higher priced shipping option is just a bunch of hooey, given what Ookadook and you initially told us. Rich, you're mostly a stand-up person, which I admire you for. This particular answer -- not so much.

Keltest
2015-01-05, 08:08 PM
I chose the Pre-order shipping option, the one advertised on the OOTS front page with a link that went to the following info on the Ookadook website:
"Blood Runs in the Family and the 2015 calendar are both scheduled to arrive in the Ookoodook warehouse during the first week of December, but can be pre-ordered now for immediate shipping when they arrive. During this pre-order, Ookoodook is able to offer a lower shipping price (both domestically and internationally) for most orders that include either the new book or the new calendar—just select the shipping option labeled "Preorder Fulfillment" at check-out for the lowest price."

No mention was made that this "Preorder fulfillment" option was going to so slow or that "immediate shipment" really meant a Dec 31-Jan 3 handoff to a fulfillment house that would then later ship them out.

Telling me that it's my fault for not choosing a higher priced shipping option is just a bunch of hooey, given what Ookadook and you initially told us. Rich, you're mostly a stand-up person, which I admire you for. This particular answer -- not so much.

I think youre misunderstanding him. He isn't placing blame, he is simply giving an explanation.

The Giant
2015-01-05, 08:25 PM

OK, well how about this:

At no point did we ever promise an exact delivery date, just a rough estimate. The text specifically said that we could not guarantee delivery by a certain date for pre-orders. You ordered it anyway. So it's not my problem if they didn't get there by the date we didn't promise.

There's no unspoken guarantee that a calendar will arrive before the first day that it could be used, and you were in error to assume there was one. If you want guaranteed delivery, wait until the product is in the warehouse next time before ordering. Or, if your life really will fall apart if you don't have a paper calendar, buy one from the store next year.

EDIT: In fact, here's what the red text on the calendar product page said when you placed the order (Bolding mine):

Important: This product is being offered as a pre-order and will not ship until it arrives in the warehouse (currently scheduled for the first week in December 2014). Any order containing this product will be held until the product arrives.

That looks to me like we told you that it would not ship until it arrived, and that the arrival date of the first week in December was a scheduled date, not a guarantee. We didn't specify how long the reduced price shipping would take at all, and if you assumed it would be a certain speed, that's on you.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-05, 08:31 PM
if your life really will fall apart if you don't have a paper calendar, buy one from the store next year.
I'll do that. I prefer to do business with people who appreciate my purchases. You clearly don't.

The Giant
2015-01-05, 08:41 PM
I'm very appreciative right up until the point where you accuse me of dishonesty because you made assumptions about shipping that are not based on anything I (or my business partners) ever claimed.

Crusher
2015-01-05, 09:02 PM
If you don't have your calendar yet, it's because you chose the reduced price shipping option—which was a bulk shipping deal. Bulk shipping means that no orders leave the warehouse until every order that chose the bulk shipping is ready to leave. Your order wasn't delayed because it was waiting for the books per se, it was delayed because the bulk shipping you chose is a lot slower—and, as circumstance would have it, it ran into some regulatory problems along the way. Had you selected the more expensive Priority Mail option, you would have gotten your calendar before Christmas (assuming you're in the USA).

Since the entire point of the bulk shipping is to save money by sending everything at once, pulling the calendar-only orders out and sending them first would have cost additional money.

Thanks, Giant! Makes sense.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-05, 09:08 PM
I'm very appreciative right up until the point where you accuse me of dishonesty because you made assumptions about shipping that are not based on anything I (or my business partners) ever claimed.
Look, I don't have any problem with the book showing up when it shows up. I'm in the business of producing products and have had recalls, shipping problems, etc. and I do understand these things.

I backed your KS campaign because I wanted to read How O-Chul got his Scar (I already owned your books). I haven't complained about not getting that story yet. It will happen when it happens.

But, time sensitive things are different. For example, if someone shipped me food but didn't guarantee a delivery date and the food showed up spoiled, I would be within my rights to demand a refund. Things that are time-sensitive do create expectations about being delivered so that they can be used *in time* (and, if we're going to get all legalistic about this, companies that create expectations "in a reasonable customer's mind" have been held legally liable for delivering on these expectations even when they didn't actually explicitly promise them).

Now, maybe you view your calendars as "entertainment" and not something actually to be used. I'm pointing out that some people do *use* them.

Further, my original message made a constructive suggestion "In the future", namely that you decouple the time sensitive stuff -- calendars -- from the other stuff for customers who care about this. I would be happy to pay extra to get the calendars on time while letting the books and other stuff arrive when they arrive.

Another constructive suggestion would be to add a 13th month, the January of the following years, to future calendars. This would make the delivery of future calendars less time sensitive. If the 2014 calendar had a January 2015 page, we wouldn't be having this discussion...

Instead of getting all defensive, please take these constructive suggestions under advisement.

Ghost Nappa
2015-01-05, 09:14 PM
I'll do that. I prefer to do business with people who appreciate my purchases. You clearly don't.

I feel like you've never pre-ordered something from an independent firm near the holidays before.

@Giant:

Thank you for being so upfront with information regarding the delays. I understand the holidays are a busy time and that some unexpected matters that are not immediately in your control have once again reared their heads.

I look forward to returning to school with a badass calendar to hang on the walls.

Sylthia
2015-01-05, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Luckily I only bought the 2014 calendar so another week isn't really going to hurt anything.

They still had the 2014 Calendars in stock?

Peelee
2015-01-05, 10:33 PM

Early on they did. For like, three bucks, too. I was too slow in asking spousal permission, so I missed out as well.

Porthos
2015-01-05, 10:46 PM
Speaking of calendars, if anyone reading this thread has received their 2015 calendar, telling us what's in it/what it's like might help tide some of us over until we get it. :smallwink:

ThatNickGuy
2015-01-06, 12:25 AM
I honestly don't know if my order has been shipped yet. According to the order status on OoKooDook, it's still only reading as Order Received (as in, they received my order back in November).

ChristianSt
2015-01-06, 03:21 AM
Speaking of calendars, if anyone reading this thread has received their 2015 calendar, telling us what's in it/what it's like might help tide some of us over until we get it. :smallwink:

I haven't looked at it (because I want to wait until my calendar shows up), but I found this post in the Number of Character appearances. Though as I said I haven't looked at it, so I don't know whether it is sufficient for your purpose :smallwink:.

Here's the 2015 Calendar. (Do calendars count?)

Front page (which you all already have seen): The 6 members of Oots, plus Mr. Scruffy, Blackwing, O-Chul, Lien

January (art page): Elan, unnamed harpies
January (dates page): Elan, Haley, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Belkar. Also a large "ghost outline" of Elan under most of the page.

February (art): The 6 members of the Order of the Scribble. Note: the elf druid is shapeshifted into a guant bear. Girard is mirror-imaged. Unnamed Red Dragon.
February (dates): Roy, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Haley, Durkon, Celia, Lien, O-Chul, Elan, unnamed frog. Large "ghost outline" of Dorukan? (I may be spelling that wrong--the wizard guy whose Dungeon the OotS was in in book 1.)

March (art); Belkar, Mr. Scruffy. Unnamed large monster.
March (dates): Roy, Elan, Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius. Large "ghost outline" of Belkar.

April (art); Daigo, Kazumi. Unnamed ninjas. (One is a possible half-orc. Count potentially be Therkla, but I'm guessing not.)
April (dates): Kazumi, Daigo, Durkon, Belkar, Elan, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius. Large "ghost outline" of Kazumi and Daigo.

May (art): Haley, unnamed acid-breathing pirahnas.
May (dates): Elan, Durkon, "Red" (Haley's father), Haley, Mr. Scruffy, Belkar, O-Chul. Large "ghost outline" of Haley

June (art): Roy, unnamed Mummies. (Unlike the other pages which feature new art, this was a previously-seen panel of Roy "great-cleaving" mummies in Girard's pyramid).
June (dates): Durkon, Eugene Greenhilt, Roy, Vaarfuvius, Mr. Scruffy, Belkar, Julia Greenhilt. Large "ghost outline" of Roy

July (art): Lien, Unnamed Sahaugin
July (dates): Haley, Lien, Elan, Roy, Hinjo. Large "ghost outline" of Lien

August (art): Bandana, Pirate guy with dark skin & dreadlocks, 2 other pirates I haven't seen before--one may be an elf or half elf? Unnamed skeleton captain & skeletons.
August (dates); Bandana, Julio Scoundrel, Roy. 5 Mechane crewpeople (Andi, one with the blue head scarf (that Haley used on her broken arm late in the last book), older guy with eyepatch, and guy with brown vest & 5-o'clock shadow. And again the dark-skinned guy with the dreadlocks). Large "ghost outline" of Bandana

September (art): Celia. Lots of extraplanar creatures, none of whom look familiar.
September (dates): Roy, Celia, Belkar, Elan, Haley, the two recurring Lawyers (Jones & Phil Rodriguez). Large "ghost outline" of Celia

October (art): O-Chul. Unnamed boy, unnamed cat (not Mr. Scruffy)
October (dates); O-Chul, Haley, Elan, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing. Large "ghost outline" of O-chul.

November (art): Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, unnamed Ogre Mage
November (dates): Haley, Blackwing, Durkon, Vaarsuvius, Belkar, Elan, Bandana. Large "ghost outline" of Vaarsuvius.

December (art): Durkon, two Azure city soldiers, one of whom might be Niu.
Demember (dates): Haley, Roy, Durkon, Belkar, Elan, Mr. Scruffy. Large "ghost outline" of Durkon

Bonus page (art): Flumph, bother as regular art and as him/herself in a dream.
Bonus page (dates): Belkar, flumphs, another monsters I can't indentify, Roy, Elan, Haley, Durkon, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius, O-chul, Lien, Xykon, Redcloak, Jirix, Demon Roaches, Sabine, Monster in the Dark.

Back page: Small version of all 12 monthly "art pages" (Other than the bonus page) are shown on the back page.

littlebum2002
2015-01-06, 09:18 AM

Early on they did. For like, three bucks, too. I was too slow in asking spousal permission, so I missed out as well.

This. Most calendar places do this, too, selling old calendars really cheaply after a certain amount of months have gone by to try and get at least some of them off the shelves before they hit the wastebin. And since this calendar has original, exclusive art in it, it has intrinsic value to people like me who value the art but have no use for a calendar and therefore can't justify paying $15 for one, but can justify $3 or whatever.

snowblizz
2015-01-06, 09:41 AM
And since this calendar has original, exclusive art in it, it has intrinsic value to people like me who value the art but have no use for a calendar and therefore can't justify paying $15 for one, but can justify $3 or whatever.
There's that and the high international shipping. Same shipping cost, and two calendars made me order them as the shipping seemed a bit more reasonable. Unfortunately for the same reasons I "had to" wait for the local store to get a bunch instead of ordering the book directly.

William Fox
2015-01-06, 10:14 AM
@The Giant

{Scrubbed}

I for one and happy to wait. I can see the postman walking to our building from my computer. And I watch for him everyday. And I wait to see if he has a book shaped package for me. And I sometimes watch from behind the blinds. And I watch for him.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/452564261995573249/_o0gTsOf.jpeg

Spoomeister
2015-01-06, 11:33 AM
Look, I don't have any problem with the book showing up when it shows up. I'm in the business of producing products and have had recalls, shipping problems, etc. and I do understand these things.

I backed your KS campaign because I wanted to read How O-Chul got his Scar (I already owned your books). I haven't complained about not getting that story yet. It will happen when it happens.

But, time sensitive things are different. ...

The OOTS calendar being a calendar is trumped by its being an OOTS item. Why would you expect anything related to OOTS to arrive at a specific time?

The very comic strip itself is on a "new strips are available when they're done" basis, for very legitimate and long-ago-covered reasons. The Kickstarter Campaign fulfillment is also on a lingering "items will be delivered when they're delivered" basis too, for pretty much the same reasons. And you're doing holiday purchases from a small publishing house, so of course there was a chance of delay there.

There is no reason to expect anything related to OOTS to be delivered on a specific date, or even within a stated 'this is our best attempt' window. If it ever is, spiffy. If not, well, if you've been following OOTS online for any amount of time, you quickly learn that punctuality or predictability is not part of the OOTS experience.

OOTS material, in any delivery system anywhere, is like Gandalf. "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

And OOTS material is frequently worth the wait.

Peelee
2015-01-06, 11:39 AM
And since this calendar has original, exclusive art in it, it has intrinsic value to people like me who value the art but have no use for a calendar and therefore can't justify paying $15 for one, but can justify $3 or whatever.

....I'll give ya four bucks for it. Profit!

Unisus
2015-01-06, 11:56 AM
This. Most calendar places do this, too, selling old calendars really cheaply after a certain amount of months have gone by to try and get at least some of them off the shelves before they hit the wastebin. And since this calendar has original, exclusive art in it, it has intrinsic value to people like me who value the art but have no use for a calendar and therefore can't justify paying $15 for one, but can justify $3 or whatever.

Actually it's the art that makes it worth more than just a couple of bucks. I normaly get calendars for free, if i want to have a specific kind of calendar (for example one with 6 rows so every family member has their own row for planning), i pay around 5€, never more than 10€. Now a calendar with specific art, that's a reason to pay more for it.

JT
2015-01-06, 12:43 PM
Waiting with baited breath (something seems fishy about that!) for my book, and either one or two calendars.

I'll remember what I ordered once it all arrives. :)

Skull the Troll
2015-01-06, 01:37 PM
The OOTS calendar being a calendar is trumped by its being an OOTS item. Why would you expect anything related to OOTS to arrive at a specific time?

The very comic strip itself is on a "new strips are available when they're done" basis, for very legitimate and long-ago-covered reasons. The Kickstarter Campaign fulfillment is also on a lingering "items will be delivered when they're delivered" basis too, for pretty much the same reasons. And you're doing holiday purchases from a small publishing house, so of course there was a chance of delay there.

There is no reason to expect anything related to OOTS to be delivered on a specific date, or even within a stated 'this is our best attempt' window. If it ever is, spiffy. If not, well, if you've been following OOTS online for any amount of time, you quickly learn that punctuality or predictability is not part of the OOTS experience.

OOTS material, in any delivery system anywhere, is like Gandalf. "A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

And OOTS material is frequently worth the wait.

I think this post illustrates both your own point that people should be patient, and the upset people's point that Oookadook is developing a history (or even an expectation) of delayed products. This is the second year in a row calendars that were ordered for Christmas in November did not arrive anywhere near Christmas. I agree that delays occur and that Rich can't really be blamed for it, but I think if he plans to sell calendars next year he should probably order them in September so that they are available to ship when ordered during the holiday season. I myself disagree that because the comic which is free arrives whenever Rich wants it to be done you should expect the same for things you pay for. If the comic was a subscription site people would expect, and deserve regular updates. Otherwise they would quit subscribing. That said, you should never look at a shipping estimate as a promise, and I refuse to believe that you "have to" have a paper calendar to use. Clearly you have a computer. Look in the corner if you need to know the date.

Peelee
2015-01-06, 01:47 PM
That said, you should never look at a shipping estimate as a promise, and I refuse to believe that you "have to" have a paper calendar to use. Clearly you have a computer. Look in the corner if you need to know the date.

That people don't do it your way doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. Paper calendars are useful for families to keep doctor's visits, appointments, and various other bookings up to date and accurate. They are quick and easy to check, and can be more convenient than computers.

On a different note, Kim the USPS carrier brought in my book as I was writing this response! Huzzah for the Giant and his fancy new book!

EDIT: And man, Durkon's preface is kind of heartbreaking.

Dr. Gamera
2015-01-06, 02:08 PM
Would anyone (including, if applicable, Peelee) who got the book and calendar via "bulk shipping" please, when it arrives, say "It arrived via bulk shipping, I'm in YYY U.S. State or ZZZ Country, and it was delivered by someone in WWW uniform"? That would help those of us who are waiting. Here I had been worried that my order via "U.S. Preorder Fulfillment" should have arrived already; relieved to find out that it is probably not lost somewhere, but curious to know when and how to expect it.

Until reading this thread today, I had been mistakenly harassing the letter carrier, but apparently it is not arriving via the U.S. Postal Service.

Peelee
2015-01-06, 02:24 PM
Would anyone (including, if applicable, Peelee) who got the book and calendar via "bulk shipping" please, when it arrives, say "It arrived via bulk shipping, I'm in YYY U.S. State or ZZZ Country, and it was delivered by someone in WWW uniform"? That would help those of us who are waiting. Here I had been worried that my order via "U.S. Preorder Fulfillment" should have arrived already; relieved to find out that it is probably not lost somewhere, but curious to know when and how to expect it.

Until reading this thread today, I had been mistakenly harassing the letter carrier, but apparently it is not arriving via the U.S. Postal Service.

It arrived via bulk shipping, I'm in Birmingham, AL, and it was delivered by someone in USPS uniform. Specifically, Kim. Also, I got it here at work, which is why I get to talk about it mid-day.

EDIT: Also, question for The Giant: I assume it was bonus strip 855a what explains that it was Z scrying the desert. If not, am I missing something? Note that I haven't read the commentary yet, and it seems pretty obvious, but it's also a lot later on than I was expecting it to be, hence the confusion.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-06, 03:51 PM
Clearly you have a computer. Look in the corner if you need to know the date.
Clearly, you are most likely a single person who has never co-ordinated a busy family with lots of Doctor appointments, activities, etc.

Yes, this is definitely a "first world problem" and easily solved by buying another calendar. But, it is irritating. So, I made some constructive suggestions, labeled *in the future, please* in my original post. The Giant's responses -- which can be summarized as "you should have paid more", "go buy a calendar", and "caveat emptor" -- were less than helpful and, in turn, made me a bit angry.

Dr. Gamera
2015-01-06, 03:51 PM
It arrived via bulk shipping, I'm in Birmingham, AL, and it was delivered by someone in USPS uniform. Specifically, Kim. Also, I got it here at work, which is why I get to talk about it mid-day.

Thanks, and best wishes to Kim!

SavageWombat
2015-01-06, 04:28 PM
Got mine today! Location is Topeka, KS. I suspect this means most copies will start showing up now.

(I did not get a calendar, if that makes a difference.)

Keltest
2015-01-06, 04:42 PM
Clearly, you are most likely a single person who has never co-ordinated a busy family with lots of Doctor appointments, activities, etc.

Yes, this is definitely a "first world problem" and easily solved by buying another calendar. But, it is irritating. So, I made some constructive suggestions, labeled *in the future, please* in my original post. The Giant's responses -- which can be summarized as "you should have paid more", "go buy a calendar", and "caveat emptor" -- were less than helpful and, in turn, made me a bit angry.

I don't understand why youre getting so upset. Rich has explained why you are encountering the problems that you have. If, in the future, Rich's choices as to how to distribute his product lead to regular delays, we can justifiably be displeased, but for now at least it appears that unforeseen problems have combined with your slow order speed to delay your product.

And yes, I say your slow order speed, because you chose to pick the slower delivery. It is unfortunate that it was delayed, but that is hardly in Rich's power to control at this point in time.

NerdyKris
2015-01-06, 04:51 PM

You chose the shipping option to combine the order into one shipment. You then complained that they didn't ship the items seperately. Do you see why people might find that a tad strange? You asked for something and then complained when you got exactly that. If the calendar was important, you shouldn't have chosen the shipping option that waited until the book was in stock.

The calendar was in stock. The book wasn't. You took a risk by asking them to wait for the book. The result being that the book didn't come in until nearly Christmas, preventing them from shipping it out until this week. That is the risk you took when you said "Wait for the item that isn't in stock before shipping.

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-01-06, 05:09 PM
Still no book, but Peelee's success gives me hope that it shall reach here soon.

Peelee
2015-01-06, 05:25 PM
Still no book, but Peelee's success gives me hope that it shall reach here soon.
Truly, I am a beacon of hope.

Tom Lehmann
2015-01-06, 06:04 PM
The calendar was in stock. The book wasn't.
This is incorrect. When I placed my order, on Nov. 20th, neither was in stock.

You took a risk by asking them to wait for the book.
I never asked them to wait for the book. I just followed an OOTS front-page link that led to ordering both of them (when neither was in stock) and only gave shipping options for the pair of items.

This is why my first suggestion for Rich was to de-couple time-sensitive items from other items. Yes, I understand that for many people the Calendars are not time-sensitive and I do take Rich's point that, for many customers, bundling the shipping is therefore more important. But, I believe a clearly stated option to ship the calendars first (and charge more if that is needed) would be nice for that subset of customers who actually use the calendars.

Now, perhaps, such an option was available on the web-site and I should have, in hindsight, searched harder for it. Or, perhaps I should have automatically assumed that the book would be delayed and ordered them separately.

Another alternative would be to make the Calendars less time-sensitive by including a January year+1 page in the 2016+ calendars (which solves this issue for 2017 on).

I wasn't upset when I began this series of posts. I explained my situation and offered some suggestions which I began with "in the future, please". This is a product thread. I'm not telling Rich how to tell his story. I'm giving him feedback and future suggestions for a product that I ordered, in hopes of improving my future customer experience. Yes; I found Rich's replies not very helpful and, yes, I got a bit snippy in return.

Skull the Troll
2015-01-06, 06:44 PM

I'm married, have three kids, and we all share our google calendars. However I take your point. I just disagree that a calendar is useless if you don't have it on Jan 1st.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-01-06, 06:45 PM
Well, it's harder to coordinate things between 1 January and the date the calendar arrives, hence Tom's remark about a wall full of Post-Its.

Not that this should be a problem next year, as we won't be expecting Book 6 then.

denthor
2015-01-06, 06:49 PM
comic book coloring book and 2015 calendar arrived today.

Girlfriend will not let me read comic book :smallfurious:

Calendar had some interesting things in it

Wish the I could have colored in the calendar pages they were far more interesting then the coloring book pictures.

Fitzclowningham
2015-01-06, 07:01 PM
Not that this should be a problem next year, as we won't be expecting Book 6 then.

Unless something drastically changes, we won't have to worry about that until around 2021. Maybe we'll get a prequel book to tide us over, though.

SaintRidley
2015-01-06, 07:40 PM
This is why my first suggestion for Rich was to de-couple time-sensitive items from other items.

I think I see what the problem is. The items began decoupled. You coupled them by placing them on the same order and choosing the pre-order shipping to have them shipped together. That's not Rich's fault, that's your fault. Maybe don't order two things on the same order if you don't want them to ship together and thus have to wait for the vagaries of the shipping process to be complete for both items before they can be shipped to you.

FrankLuke
2015-01-06, 07:52 PM
Iowa. Arrived today with the winter cold. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor glom* of night can keep these messengers from their appointed rounds!

*Discworld joke.