PDA

View Full Version : I need some help designing a magic item

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-20, 02:16 PM
My player would like to have a magical item that would make his Eldritch Blast a +1 magic weapon.

This would mean that the blast would have +1 to hit and damage, would bypass DR/magic (is that even relevant?) and so forth.

What kind of an item should it be and how much should it cost?

Omnicrat
2014-10-20, 02:31 PM
My player would like to have a magical item that would make his Eldritch Blast a +1 magic weapon.

This would mean that the blast would have +1 to hit and damage, would bypass DR/magic (is that even relevant?) and so forth.

What kind of an item should it be and how much should it cost?

A rod with the standard +1 weapon enchant on it that the EB is channeled through. Might as well let any other ranged combat enchantments be applied to it as well at a later date.

CubeB
2014-10-20, 02:37 PM
First off, what edition is this? 3.5?

In 3.5, an Eldritch Blast is a ranged touch attack. That means that Armor and Natural Armor, and Shield bonuses to AC don't apply at all. In addition, as a spell like ability an Eldritch Blast is unaffected by DR. DR only affects physical attacks. Why does your player want this item in the first place?

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-20, 03:28 PM
First off, what edition is this? 3.5?

In 3.5, an Eldritch Blast is a ranged touch attack. That means that Armor and Natural Armor, and Shield bonuses to AC don't apply at all. In addition, as a spell like ability an Eldritch Blast is unaffected by DR. DR only affects physical attacks. Why does your player want this item in the first place?

Yes, this is 3.5.

I have no clue why he wants it, but I promised to consider it. I have double-checked that this is exactly what he wants.

CubeB
2014-10-20, 03:37 PM
Hm.

...Well, it could just be a magic rod with a +1 Enhancement on it. I think there might be an item in Complete Arcane that does something similar or better?

Ralcos
2014-10-20, 05:55 PM
Hm.

...Well, it could just be a magic rod with a +1 Enhancement on it. I think there might be an item in Complete Arcane that does something similar or better?

There's a magic rod that is in Complete Arcane specifically for Warlocks.

This fearsome device is a +2 light mace with a head in the shape of a demonic horned skull. When held, it confers a +2 profane bonus on ranged touch attack rolls made with it. In addition, a warlock (or any other character capable of invoking an eldritch blast) can choose to spend charges from the scepter to increase the amount of damage his eldritch blast deals.

Extra
Damage --- Charges
+1d6 --- 1 charge
+2d6 --- 2 charges
+3d6 --- 3 charges
+4d6 --- 5 charges

Game Rule note: Rods usually have 50 charges, or so I have been told...

You could probably use that.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-20, 10:53 PM
Pricing would probably be double that of a normal magic weapon, but only if it worked on all spell attacks.

nonsi
2014-10-21, 05:09 AM
Consider the following feats:
- Point Blank Shot
- Ability Focus: Eldritch Blast
- Precise Shot (+ Improved Precise Shot at high levels)
- Weapon Focus: Eldritch Blast (it's a weapon-like effect, so it counts)

Each of the above boosts EB.

Coranho
2014-10-21, 07:27 AM
Alright; I'm not really an expert on fourth edition, but let's see.

Name: Ring of Latent Focus.

Description: Engraved into this band of pure silver are mystical sigils that arrange themselves into a pattern that, despite being in an indecipherable script, the bearer instinctively knows carries not only their name, but a record of their entire existence that grows ever-more-refined as the design reaches a molecular level. When encased in complete darkness, the rings glows with a soft inner light; to know yourself first and foremost is to always know where to place your step ahead - and the ancient artisans whose craft originally fueled these rings took the lesson to heart.

Powers & Effects: The Ring of Latent Focus immediately bonds to it's wearer the first time he or she puts it on - a process that cannot be reversed without a 'remove enchantment' effect and the consent of the owner (provided it is in their possession at the time); after putting the ring on one of their existing magical item slots, the wearer can choose to acclimate one of their existing SLA's or at-will abilities to the ring per +1 enhancement level. Each SLA and/or at-will ability acclimated in this way gains a bonus (if the character receives sacred/profane bonuses, this bonus matches that type) to both hit and damage equal to the enhancement bonus on the ring.

Changing an acclimated SLA or at-will ability takes 200 GP per effective level of the SLA or at-will ability and eight hours of uninterrupted mediation with the ring in hand; you can change multiple acclimated SLAs/at-will abilities in the same eight hours, but must pay the GP value of each you change.

The SLA/at-will ability effectively becomes a magic weapon with an enhancement level equal to the enhancement level of the ring - but the bonus to damage and to-hit is not doubled; any and all feats, actions, effects, spells, or objects that can interact with a magical weapon of the spell's type can interact with the SLA/at-will ability that is channeled through the ring - however the user of the Ring of Latent Focus can decide as a free action to cast the SLA/at-will ability normally; without the channel boost from the ring nor the status as a "magic weapon".

Despite this change to a magical weapon, the SLA/at-will ability still resolves against the AC that the ability would otherwise target (if any); and the spell itself does not gain physical attributes of a magical weapon. (A 'ray' spell attuned to this ring does not function as an arrow, etc).

Pricing: I don't have enough examples of 4e magical enchantment, all the ones I seem to find follow a guideline like the one below.

Lvl 5 +1: 1,000 gp
Lvl 10 +2: 5,000 gp
Lvl 15 +3: 25,000 gp
Lvl 20 +4: 125,000 gp
Lvl 25 +5: 625,000 gp
Lvl 30 +6: 3,125,000 gp

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-21, 08:07 AM
Wow, I didn't realise that pricing this item is so difficult :)

How about this?
Bracers of Eldritch Blast, Lesser

These wristbands look like normal protective wear. If the user has the Eldritch Blast class ability, she gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and a +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls whenever using Eldritch Blast (when applicable). Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Price 3,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Coranho
2014-10-21, 08:26 AM
Wow, I didn't realise that pricing this item is so difficult :)

How about this?
Bracers of Eldritch Blast, Lesser

These wristbands look like normal protective wear. If the user has the Eldritch Blast class ability, she gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and a +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls whenever using Eldritch Blast (when applicable). Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Price 3,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

That looks alright - I was going for a more "you can use this with any one SLA or at-will ability" feel, to prevent "making an item exclusively for a single player for use with a single class in a single campaign setting for a single class ability because they requested it; causing everyone else to want one too".

The way I wrote it you could probably keep your price and requirements for a base +1 (and worry about enchantment progression later), but allow any PC or NPC to use it for an ability they possess. [Regardless of whether you change it from ring to bracers, or ring to amulet, etc].