PDA

View Full Version : Ideals, Bonds, Flaws and Character Growth

Nagalipton
2014-10-20, 02:41 PM
Here's an odd open discussion thought for everyone. Upon character creation one is supposed to come up with an Ideal, Bond, and a Flaw for their character (assuming the DM wants to bother with the Inspiration System). My question is this: Does anyone have any idea how to change your Ideals/Bonds/Flaws?

There are no RAW about this as far as I know. My current idea is something along the lines of allowing players to choose when to abandon any of these three, but they must remain blank for one full session before a replacement may be given. This insures that for one session you gain no benefits from inspiration while your character re-evaluates their lives. What do you guys think?

Ursus the Grim
2014-10-20, 02:49 PM
Here's an odd open discussion thought for everyone. Upon character creation one is supposed to come up with an Ideal, Bond, and a Flaw for their character (assuming the DM wants to bother with the Inspiration System). My question is this: Does anyone have any idea how to change your Ideals/Bonds/Flaws?

There are no RAW about this as far as I know. My current idea is something along the lines of allowing players to choose when to abandon any of these three, but they must remain blank for one full session before a replacement may be given. This insures that for one session you gain no benefits from inspiration while your character re-evaluates their lives. What do you guys think?

I would personally not allow them to change their values unless something dramatic happens. "I will serve the church of McGuffin faithfully" would require an irrefutable example of corruption, or something. Growth should be tied into the bonds/flaws. Thats what they're there for.

I don't mind them getting new bonds/flaws, per se. I just don't think the original ones should be easily discarded.

Grey Watcher
2014-10-20, 02:50 PM

I'd say it really heavily depends on how and why they changed.

Let's look at, say, Sweeney Todd. His bond goes immediately from his wife to Judge Turpin (specifically murdering him in revenge) when he hears the story of her fate.

Forcing the character to be without a bond for a session would cut off sudden, dramatic changes. Also, depending on the table, a session can be a really arbitrary point.

Demonic Spoon
2014-10-20, 02:50 PM
PHB p. 123 under Personal Characteristics handles this. I think you're trying to add crunch where no crunch is needed.

Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws are there to spark your imagination and help you flesh out your character as a person. That's it. It even says that you are in no way limited to the personality/bond/flaw/ideals listed in the background; they're just suggestions. Having rules around when you can change them and when you can't is absurd.

You should be able to change them at will if it makes sense for your character (e.g. my bond was the local library, which just got burned to the ground in an orc attack) . You should not be able to change them if it doesn't make sense (I arbitrarily decided that I value money and power today, when yesterday I was all about protecting innocents)

Nagalipton
2014-10-20, 03:00 PM
Good points everyone, especially Demon Spoon. Thanks very much. I was originally against the system as a whole because it seemed like "Roleplaying for Dummies" and restricted what people can do. I think with proper application it might actually be a very valuable tool between DM and Player. Thanks guys.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-20, 09:08 PM
Good points everyone, especially Demon Spoon. Thanks very much. I was originally against the system as a whole because it seemed like "Roleplaying for Dummies" and restricted what people can do. I think with proper application it might actually be a very valuable tool between DM and Player. Thanks guys.

I feel like it's a starting point. It might get people to think of their characters as something more than an angry statblock, which could help them graduate to more involved roleplaying later.