PDA

View Full Version : Bleeping custom psionic item costs

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 03:29 PM
Question for a psionics beginner. Not total Newb, but definitely beginner.

How would we figure out the cost of an augmented Inertial Armor Shirt?

Inertial Armor: Psion 1. +4 Armor Bonus. Adds +1 Armor for every 2 PP added. Lasts 1 hour/level.

If we cranked it up to 19 PP, that would give a +13 Armor. Manifester Level 19. 1st level Power * ML 19 * 2000 = 38,000 gp.

Hmmm. Only 38,000 for 13 armor that doesn't have any restrictions on it and is effective vs incorporeal attacks too. Too cheap.

Djores say that for each extra 2 PP, count the Power as 1 level higher. OK. That's 9 levels higher + the base level 1.

10th level Power * ML 19 * 2000 = 380,000 gp. WAY too expensive!! +5 Full Plate is only 51,650 gp!

So ... do I just fudge a price where I think it should be ABOUT, or are there some rules somewhere that can help me out here?

Personally I'm estimating the cost (just based on usefulness) to be somewhere around 80,000 gp. Just a rough estimate.

KillianHawkeye
2014-10-20, 03:44 PM
If it adds an armor bonus, it should be priced according to magical armor or bracers of armor.

When making up new magic items, comparing to existing magic items is always Step 1. Only if you don't find anything comparable to you resort to the custom item pricing formulas, and even then, those are just guidelines.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-20, 03:51 PM
Question for a psionics beginner. Not total Newb, but definitely beginner.

How would we figure out the cost of an augmented Inertial Armor Shirt?

Inertial Armor: Psion 1. +4 Armor Bonus. Adds +1 Armor for every 2 PP added. Lasts 1 hour/level.

If we cranked it up to 19 PP, that would give a +13 Armor. Manifester Level 19. 1st level Power * ML 19 * 2000 = 38,000 gp.

Hmmm. Only 38,000 for 13 armor that doesn't have any restrictions on it and is effective vs incorporeal attacks too. Too cheap.

Djores say that for each extra 2 PP, count the Power as 1 level higher. OK. That's 9 levels higher + the base level 1.

10th level Power * ML 19 * 2000 = 380,000 gp. WAY too expensive!! +5 Full Plate is only 51,650 gp!

So ... do I just fudge a price where I think it should be ABOUT, or are there some rules somewhere that can help me out here?

Personally I'm estimating the cost (just based on usefulness) to be somewhere around 80,000 gp. Just a rough estimate.

You should price that against bracers of armor, which provide effectively the same kind of bonus. It's just like the old constant ring of true strike: sure, the custom creation rules say 2k gp, but they also say "compare it to existing bonuses". Which is why a constant ring of true strike is 400k gp, instead of 2k gp (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=2934494&postcount=18). Same story here.

Squark
2014-10-20, 03:52 PM
Also, keep in mind that +13 innertial armor is vastly superior to simple +5 Full plate- You've got the Ghost touch property (Not worth what wizards thought it was when the DMG was written, but still worth something), and you don't have any armor penalties to work with.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 03:54 PM
If it adds an armor bonus, it should be priced according to magical armor or bracers of armor.

When making up new magic items, comparing to existing magic items is always Step 1. Only if you don't find anything comparable to you resort to the custom item pricing formulas, and even then, those are just guidelines.

That's a good idea, but a +13 would qualify it for Epic pricing - 1,690,000 gp. (same result as if using the Epic Bracers)

Dropping Epic pricing would give 169,000 and that's not too bad, I guess. I was using a +5 Full Plate Armor as a comparison since it's also a +13 AC.

+5 Full Plate armor that works against incorporeal attacks, has no movement/weight issues, doesn't have ACF %, and doesn't have Dex or skill penalties works for 169,000.

Can't further enchant it with other armor abilities, but that's not such a huge drawback.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-20, 03:56 PM
Actually, bracers of armor appear to be Bonus^2*1000, so a shirt of inertial armor +13 should be 13*13*1000, or 169k.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, you'd almost think that D&D pricing schemes don't always work very well, or something like that! :smallbiggrin:

I like the Ghost Touch mention. (and yeah, Ghost Touch shouldn't be a +3 :smalltongue:) That would make the +5 Ghost Touch Twilight Feycraft Mithril Full Plate cost 84,000. (derpaderp - I messed up the pricing in the first post - no one look!)

That gets it sort of close to the Inertial Armor +13 (without Epic Pricing)

I sort of like the 169,000 cost since it completely removes ALL the ASF and penalties and can be used by even druids, etc, etc.

169,000 sound good?

Squark
2014-10-20, 04:05 PM
Actually, bracers of armor appear to be Bonus^2*1000, so a shirt of inertial armor +13 should be 13*13*1000, or 169k.

Technically, high armor bonuses jump into epic magic items (For some reason bracers of armor skip +9 and +10)- Bracers of armor+11 cost one million two hundred ten thousand gold. But that's absurd, of course.

That being said, a +1 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt has no asf, check penalty, and a max dexterity bonus of +6, and only costs 5100 gp, so if you just want armor for your psion*, that's the way to go.

*I didn't find it last time I looked, but the MiC extended psionics-magic transparency to magic item creation (You just need an equivilent power for any prerequisite spell, and I don't think Twilight has any spells required), so you can totally make that with Craft Psionic Arms and Armor.

EDIT: 169,000 sounds fine. Not something I'd want to pay for, personally, but not unreasonable.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 04:12 PM
He's a 20th level Psion, so he can afford it.

heavyfuel
2014-10-20, 04:17 PM
While everyone is correct that you you should compare prices to existing items, I'll just say that Bracers of Armor are so overpriced they're probably one of the most expensive items in the game when you compare the cost:benefit relation.

Just think that while a caster can keep Inertial Armor (or Mage Armor) up almost all day long for the armor bonus, the Monk cannot.

Fax Celestis
2014-10-20, 04:18 PM
Technically, high armor bonuses jump into epic magic items (For some reason bracers of armor skip +9 and +10)- Bracers of armor+11 cost one million two hundred ten thousand gold. But that's absurd, of course.

That being said, a +1 Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt has no asf, check penalty, and a max dexterity bonus of +6, and only costs 5100 gp, so if you just want armor for your psion*, that's the way to go.

*I didn't find it last time I looked, but the MiC extended psionics-magic transparency to magic item creation (You just need an equivilent power for any prerequisite spell, and I don't think Twilight has any spells required), so you can totally make that with Craft Psionic Arms and Armor.

EDIT: 169,000 sounds fine. Not something I'd want to pay for, personally, but not unreasonable.

I don't know why you'd want any of those enchantments: psionics are not subject to ASF.

Also AFAIK PF Mythic doesn't have the 10x cost multiplier for mythic gear.

WebTiefling
2014-10-20, 04:53 PM
I don't know why you'd want any of those enchantments: psionics are not subject to ASF.

Also AFAIK PF Mythic doesn't have the 10x cost multiplier for mythic gear.

Correct, a Psion wouldn't be bothered by ASF, but I was using the +5 BlahBlahBlah Full Plate to build a comparison for cost and effect.